Old  May 16th, 2018, 5:48pm     #226
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

That yard looks great Louise!

Our garden got a slow start due to spring forgetting to arrive Radishes are up, but the peas are pathetic. Oh well. My wave petunias are ready to be planted in the front stoop planters.

I just heard the rototiller, so that must me the rest of the seeds will be going in soon. Our raised beds became over-run with creeping charlie. Apparently I have a bumper crop of that nasty weed this year
  Old  May 16th, 2018, 7:49pm     #227
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

Thanks, Casey! I've been picking lettuce and kale for about a week. My sweet peas are starting to climb and bud out. The cukes are getting taller, and I'm training them to climb. I'm trying a new melon, Tiger Lily Honeydew, which is smaller, and I'm hoping to train that to climb as well. My green beans are wayyyyy behind due to our cold spring.

Post pics of your garden, when things start to come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseycupcake View Post
That yard looks great Louise!

Our garden got a slow start due to spring forgetting to arrive Radishes are up, but the peas are pathetic. Oh well. My wave petunias are ready to be planted in the front stoop planters.

I just heard the rototiller, so that must me the rest of the seeds will be going in soon. Our raised beds became over-run with creeping charlie. Apparently I have a bumper crop of that nasty weed this year
  Old  May 17th, 2018, 9:12am     #228
cbm479
Master Sweeper

Those raised beds look great!!!
  Old  May 17th, 2018, 11:55am     #229
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm479 View Post
Those raised beds look great!!!
Thanks, CBM...I do love them!
  Old  May 17th, 2018, 1:58pm     #230
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

The hardest part about gardening here is the wait. The air is warm but the ground just hasn't warmed up enough to sow seeds directly. Plant too soon and they just sit there and rot. And there's always that threat of random frost--even in mid May.

On the bright side, my hostas are looking great. And we've started a creeping myrtle patch in the very shady dead zone next to my kitchen porch and a/c unit. No more moss and random weeds there! Been waiting 6 years to get that myrtle. Looks lovely already.
  Old  May 31st, 2018, 10:40am     #231
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

need ID help
The backyard landscaping is mostly under control now. Still a little rough in spots. It's a constant battle with the invasives: wild grape, Virginia creeper, birch and mulberry growing on either side and through our neighbors chain link fence. Mall tree stumps and other gnarly stump intertwined with the fence. The corner of the lot was especially crazy. Hubby really went at it just before spring and tore out the honeysuckle, birch tree and a straggly one branch forsythia. In its wake he transplanted a dappled willow and left standing the "attack bush" (a giant barberry) and what we call "that pink thing"

Well, the pink thing is really happy this spring. Not sure exactly what it is, other than 12 feet tall. It has been there 50+ years. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pink1.jpg (93.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg pink2.JPG (62.9 KB, 25 views)
  Old  May 31st, 2018, 11:43am     #232
ResourcePress
Grand Master Sweeper

I need to get my East Garden rototilled so I can get my stuff in the ground.

Wish I had a mulberry tree/bush.

So much garden work to do but it is so fun

Wishing & hoping & thinking & praying, planning & dreaming... and entering!
  Old  May 31st, 2018, 1:16pm     #233
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

I don't know what it is, but gosh, it's beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseycupcake View Post
The backyard landscaping is mostly under control now. Still a little rough in spots. It's a constant battle with the invasives: wild grape, Virginia creeper, birch and mulberry growing on either side and through our neighbors chain link fence. Mall tree stumps and other gnarly stump intertwined with the fence. The corner of the lot was especially crazy. Hubby really went at it just before spring and tore out the honeysuckle, birch tree and a straggly one branch forsythia. In its wake he transplanted a dappled willow and left standing the "attack bush" (a giant barberry) and what we call "that pink thing"

Well, the pink thing is really happy this spring. Not sure exactly what it is, other than 12 feet tall. It has been there 50+ years. Any ideas?
  Old  May 31st, 2018, 1:17pm     #234
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResourcePress View Post

Wish I had a mulberry tree/bush.

I planted one two years ago, a Persian mulberry tree. It was so late coming out of dormancy (middle of May). I don't know if I will have berries this year. I had a few last year.
  Old  June 8th, 2018, 5:42pm     #235
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

The veggie garden is all planted. Peas are not looking very promising. Oh well. Been eating lettuce and a few radishes. Plentty of sunshine predicted for the next couple of days.
  Old  June 9th, 2018, 2:07pm     #236
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

I am not a gardener but I like to read this thread.
What is a pretty flower that is highly fragrant? It will get a southern exposure, so lots of summer sun.
I don't care if it's annual, perennial, shrub, whatever. I just want something pretty whose scent will waft through the open window in the summer, like my lilac does.
  Old  June 9th, 2018, 3:24pm     #237
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
What is a pretty flower that is highly fragrant? It will get a southern exposure, so lots of summer sun.
I don't care if it's annual, perennial, shrub, whatever. I just want something pretty whose scent will waft through the open window in the summer, like my lilac does.
The whole world is a collection of micro climates. When I lived in SE Metro ATL, I had a gardenia bush that didn't have blooms in the Winter. Now I am in the Tampa area. My neighbor has a lovely gardenia but the blossoms die in the Summer - too much rain & heat. Perhaps you could check with a nursery in your area.

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.
  Old  June 9th, 2018, 3:32pm     #238
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
To name a just a few... jasmine, gardenia, small citrus trees, some roses (you have to check that the rose you like is fragrant, not all of them are).

To keep the fragrance going at night, moonflowers and four o'clocks.

Sax Zaza ~ #TeamTopKnot ~ Polo!
  Old  June 9th, 2018, 5:54pm     #239
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glam View Post
To name a just a few... jasmine, gardenia, small citrus trees, some roses (you have to check that the rose you like is fragrant, not all of them are).

To keep the fragrance going at night, moonflowers and four o'clocks.

Glam's post piqued my interest. Although it may not meet the qualification of "pretty," I'm all in for the small citrus. I would go for one of the small BLOOD ORANGES. They are fragrant. You can eat it. It is hard to find in the grocery stores, You will be best friend to all if you have some to share.

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.
  Old  June 9th, 2018, 6:04pm     #240
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBookie View Post
Glam's post piqued my interest. Although it may not meet the qualification of "pretty," I'm all in for the small citrus. I would go for one of the small BLOOD ORANGES. They are fragrant. You can eat it. It is hard to find in the grocery stores, You will be best friend to all if you have some to share.

I grow a mini orchard of assorted citrus trees in pots. I keep them at around 3-4 feet, although they are smaller now since I pruned them before moving them to the garden for the Spring/Summer/Fall seasons. They set flowers and fruit year-round and the blossoms smell amazing, similar to jasmine and gardenia (I love all of the white floral fragrances).

Sax Zaza ~ #TeamTopKnot ~ Polo!