Old  May 15th, 2018, 1:51pm     #1
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Ebay and UPS
I have an xbox I want to list and it's heavy and exceeds the 12" for USPS so I have to put the box size in and being on one coast, the shipping is quite hefty to reach the opposite coast ( which with my luck is where the buyer will be ).

So I'm trying to figure something out to cut the shipping costs.

USPS .. shipped to CA would be just over $42 then I'd have to add just over $10 for ins. and signature

UPS ground would be $36

I have to add insurance to the USPS to cover the price.. I don't know how to add that in the calculated shipping when having the buyer pay for shipping, so I added $5 handling, which doesn't cover fully, but enough.

If I send UPS ground, the UPS site states $37.06 with insurance and signature.. not sure how to do it on ebay to get it right.

My dilemma .. do I up the price of the item and put free shipping and also include a note that states it will ship UPS or USPS depending upon location?

I don't want it to get too complicated where I have the customer not pay until I check shipping and then send an invoice ( having the buyer pay shipping )

And if I do UPS, I then will have to drive around looking for a UPS driver to get the box to, or drive 70 miles to the closest UPS location. I don't know of anyone near who does drop offs..

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  May 15th, 2018, 2:45pm     #2
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

When I had to send something that heavy, I did buy it now, with free shipping. I think people like that better than the +high dollar shipping amount.
And I did luck out! the buyer was in New Jersey!

Don't think it's worth the hassle for you for UPS
  Old  May 15th, 2018, 3:31pm     #3
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
When I had to send something that heavy, I did buy it now, with free shipping. I think people like that better than the +high dollar shipping amount.
And I did luck out! the buyer was in New Jersey!

Don't think it's worth the hassle for you for UPS
I posted for now with buyer shipping..

I will have to think a bit for free shipping.. it's a $20 difference from coast to coast!

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  May 15th, 2018, 5:21pm     #4
AJPeabody
Senior Sweeper

EBay gets a discount from the USPS and I think from UPS and Fedex if you buy the postage through EBay when you print the shipping label. You put in the dimensions and weight , choose insurance etc, and they calculate charges.

AJPeabody

If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.
  Old  May 15th, 2018, 5:24pm     #5
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Question How much are pickup fees
You can have your shipment picked up from your home or office by scheduling your pickup online at ups.com or by calling 1-800-PICK-UPSŪ (1-800-742-5877). UPS will pick up all packages with a single pickup request; you will not be charged pickup fees per package.
I wonder what UPS charges to pick up?

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.
  Old  May 15th, 2018, 6:11pm     #6
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBookie View Post
You can have your shipment picked up from your home or office by scheduling your pickup online at ups.com or by calling 1-800-PICK-UPSŪ (1-800-742-5877). UPS will pick up all packages with a single pickup request; you will not be charged pickup fees per package.
I wonder what UPS charges to pick up?
I checked on it once.. I looked now and it says something like $12.50 .. but then I think they added another $5 or something because I'm rural ( even though I'm on a main state road they travel ).

Once I had to send something UPS and we decided it was easier watching for a UPS truck to hand it to the driver than to schedule a pickup and pay for it. We normally would come across UPS several times during a shopping trip to town.. of course, we saw no one! Then as we were heading up to see some friends, there goes the UPS in the opposite direction... hubby flashed his lights at the guy, then turned the truck around.. the driver did stop just down the road and we got the package shipped.

Old  May 15th, 2018, 6:14pm     #7
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPeabody View Post
EBay gets a discount from the USPS and I think from UPS and Fedex if you buy the postage through EBay when you print the shipping label. You put in the dimensions and weight , choose insurance etc, and they calculate charges.
I use ebay labels.. and there was little discount on the UPS one if it goes to the other coast... something like $2.

Old  May 15th, 2018, 6:56pm     #8
QBookie
Master Sweeper

It's a confusing world out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomar97 View Post
I checked on it once.. I looked now and it says something like $12.50 .. but then I think they added another $5 or something because I'm rural ( even though I'm on a main state road they travel ).

Once I had to send something UPS and we decided it was easier watching for a UPS truck to hand it to the driver than to schedule a pickup and pay for it. We normally would come across UPS several times during a shopping trip to town.. of course, we saw no one! Then as we were heading up to see some friends, there goes the UPS in the opposite direction... hubby flashed his lights at the guy, then turned the truck around.. the driver did stop just down the road and we got the package shipped.
I don't know what current policy for UPS is but as of a year ago, when I was still working, FED EX was not taking anything that was not on their log for pick up
due to security rules. That was even if you had a Fed Ex Account, which we did. I could put it in the drop off box. at the street, but I couldn't hand it to the driver, if I was not scheduled for pick up.

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.
  Old  May 15th, 2018, 7:11pm     #9
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBookie View Post
I don't know what current policy for UPS is but as of a year ago, when I was still working, FED EX was not taking anything that was not on their log for pick up
due to security rules. That was even if you had a Fed Ex Account, which we did. I could put it in the drop off box. at the street, but I couldn't hand it to the driver, if I was not scheduled for pick up.
Not sure when the last time was that I handed a UPS guy a pkg... it was returning shoes to Sears.. I seldom see UPS or Fed Ex anymore so can't ask them direct.

We used to have a Fed Ex drop off place .. and a local store that you could drop off Fed Ex or UPS .. but both places are out of business..

Old  May 15th, 2018, 9:01pm     #10
CalicoGirl
Master Sweeper

I would try and sell it on Craig's list and avoid shipping. Just meet in a public place.
  Old  May 15th, 2018, 9:34pm     #11
wottahuzzee
Senior Master Sweeper

Check into regional boxes, I think B might work. You have to order them from the post office website, and they are difficult to understand but they can save you money on shipping. Check them out on the ebay shipping calculator.
  Old  May 15th, 2018, 9:46pm     #12
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wottahuzzee View Post
Check into regional boxes, I think B might work. You have to order them from the post office website, and they are difficult to understand but they can save you money on shipping. Check them out on the ebay shipping calculator.
I should have one around.. I didn't think it would be large enough.. I know the large flat rate is too small. I can check dimensions on USPS site.

Good try.. but I need about 17" long.

Old  May 16th, 2018, 9:54am     #13
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoGirl View Post
I would try and sell it on Craig's list and avoid shipping. Just meet in a public place.
yes I was assuming that had already been tried. Also our daily newspaper lists things for free if asking under $400. I always try those first with heavy items, and no ebay and paypal fees. I also recently learned that a local print buy/sell weekly is now online, with free listings. I have had some success with that. When all else fails, time for expensive ebay route. lol
  Old  May 16th, 2018, 11:24am     #14
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoGirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
yes I was assuming that had already been tried. Also our daily newspaper lists things for free if asking under $400. I always try those first with heavy items, and no ebay and paypal fees. I also recently learned that a local print buy/sell weekly is now online, with free listings. I have had some success with that. When all else fails, time for expensive ebay route. lol
I'm not big on craigslist .. though we do have an Uncle Henry's here... and have gone that route.. but with rural communities, meeting at a "local" place still becomes quite a travel distance.. and hubby just can't stand having people come here because most people have no clue anyone lives where we are.. and he likes it that way.

We have a pawn shop that I have a few items that are waay to heavy / large to ebay.. I know we won't get much, but it's still something for those older items. I'm going to be bringing in a brand new outdoor fireplace ( old / but brand new in box ) .. to see what we can get.. won it.. was going to use it, but we have a lot of issues with fires around this area and live in the woods, so really feel safer not using it.

I've also got B&D tools.. a edger and a leaf blower.. both unused from 1990's... I'm going to see if I can pkg the edger in a way I can do ebay because they sell for near $200 .. but I know the leaf blower won't cut it in size / cost ratio.