....duknuk's chicks are here!
  Old  February 18th, 2018, 10:26pm     #4307
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Old  March 6th, 2018, 1:20pm     #4308
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Hanging out in the computer room, listening to Alison Krauss with a red sex-link chicken in here. She's become somewhat blind and the other girls were picking on her too much. So now she is a house chicken. She's in a large box with food/water where she can find it. She can get out if she wants to walk around.

She had septic arthritis in her legs some months ago and despite every hen I've ever had that developed this and died, I managed to clear her of the infection and she recovered. However, the side effect of the Cipro was a retinal damage. My dosing was too high I suspect.

She's been outside for several months, but lately, I suspect her vision has deteriorated and she was becoming more and more timid and of course, that is an invitation for getting picked on.

Ironically, she was the bully of the flock before all this happened.

She can hear the flock on the baby monitor and some soft music. She's singing along now and then. She seems much happier now that she's safe.

Wow, Ken just came into the room and said hi to her and she got all excited and when he left she called to him. He's been cleaning the coop for the last 5 months while my ACL heals, so I guess she got to know him.

~~~~~

So she's been in the house for several days and I have to admit this is one of the nicest hens I've ever had. She is able to see well enough to maneuver around, although she taps on the wall as she walks along the hall, like a blind chicken using a cane. I can tell her vision is fuzzy and her depth perception is off. But she's learning fast, especially since no one is picking on her.

We put her in a large box in the late afternoon and she stays there until she hears me get up. Then she follows me around. If I talk to her she talks back and her sounds are happy sounds.

I'm hoping to be able to let her outside once the grass and clover start growing. If the others see her in the yard during the day, it will get them used to her by the time they are allowed to go out on the green lawn.

Old  March 6th, 2018, 2:22pm     #4309
HelenR
Master Sweeper

Smile
Just enjoyed reading about the hen in "assisted living" that's that's in your house right now! I thought about you over the weekend when I was seeing reports from the northeast of the wild storm up there. I'm hoping it hasn't been too awful for you. Today, the high is 46 here and there's rain predicted for all day. Over the last few weeks, it's been 80 on some days and all the bulbs and flowering trees have been beautiful in Charlotte. Our grass almost needs to be cut! This week it's going down in the 20s again and sort of average normal highs are predicted. "My" birds outside have been acting like it's spring on most days by checking out birdhouses and singing loudly. A little chickadee fussed at me yesterday when I got near a birdhouse he/she seemed to be claiming. The deer seem to use our backyard as their bedroom on many nights since we have a natural area with leaves. We've seen a raccoon a few nights too.
Keep the stories, cartoons, etc. coming!!
  Old  March 6th, 2018, 2:41pm     #4310
clebar
Grand Master Sweeper

Loved reading about your hen in the house. She sounds so sweet! I have so missed your stories.
Hope you and the girls stay safe and warm with the big snow coming tomorrow.

www.swagbucks.com/refer/reowreow
  Old  March 6th, 2018, 3:15pm     #4311
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Hello Helen!

The last storm (Friday) was only winds for us and a little rain. Just enough to keep the penned area mucky. Tomorrow's storm - we will see.

My friend who lives south of us (we're only a mile north of her) had flooding. Every storm she worries. During Sandy, which destroyed most of her home, she actually saw white caps in her living room. (She's the neighbor who stayed with us for 4 months, if you remember.)

We drove down there today to drop off a bag of odds and ends nd there were still flooded streets. They're supposed to get flooding tomorrow.

Our property is at 36' elevation so we don't flood. It all drains to the south of us.

~~~~

This little red hen is so sweet.

She was one of the three hens my neighbor Steve Damm gave me in Sept. 2014 - so she's one of the Damm girls.

Since she's nearly five years old, she doesn't lay much, so she doesn't eat much, so she doesn't poop much.

She also doesn't need to eat to keep warm. It's 70° in this house.

Consequently her poops are like little stones and are easy to pick up with a tissue. Other wise it would be diapers for her. I don't think she'd appreciate wearing one of those. So we have this agreement.

I feel bad she lost vision, but it was better than losing her life. She's a happy hen, all in all. And if my hens are happy ...

Old  March 6th, 2018, 3:25pm     #4312
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebar View Post
Loved reading about your hen in the house. She sounds so sweet! I have so missed your stories.
Hope you and the girls stay safe and warm with the big snow coming tomorrow.
I don't know about the rest of the flock but one hen will be nice and safe and warm.

Was looking at the inside of the coop today. I've got wicking rotting wood on the south side near the bottom and the roof is wicking water more and more. There was no flashing installed when the previous owner built the shed.

I'm going to be calling Piotr, a local wood worker handyman and have him replace the lower half of the south side of the coop with plastic wood. Will probably ask him if he can replace the roof with a proper roof too.

Chickens are not cheap.

I plan on keeping these girls until they dwindle, maybe adding an occasional juvenile between now and the next 10 years.

After tearing my ACL, I've realized how a small injury can be so devastating. Since hubby is 14 years older than me, if I were to be alone one day, and something bad happens, the flock would die. I was unable to take care of them at all for a good 3 months. It's still difficult so I only clean half the coop each day and he does the other half, along with feeder, water maintenance, etc.

In 10 years I'll be 75 so I'll try to get there without further injury. I'm on a muscle relaxer now, so injuries should be a lot less. I was a chronic spastic, lol. Always pulling small muscles in iliac region of the back due to a missing large muscle which always led to week/month long spasms. Yuck. But since I've been taking the muscle relaxer, I haven't had one spasm. So, I am hopeful I will no longer be laid up for long periods of time.

Before this, I was thinking I would have to let this flock die out as soon as possible. Now I'm shooting for another 10 years.

Hoping this thread will still be going in 2028.

Old  March 6th, 2018, 11:49pm     #4313
sparkle8
Grand Master Sweeper

I love hearing about your girls!
And here's to many more stories to come.

I ran across this article about a couple of Italian photographers who have so finely captured the beauty of chickens.

Many of these varieties of chickens I have never seen before. Wow!

Enjoy!!

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2018/0...-tranchellini/

‎"A keen sense of humor helps us to overlook the unbecoming, understand the unconventional, tolerate the unpleasant, overcome the unexpected and outlast the unbearable." ~ Billy Graham
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Sparkle8 If I win, you win at Swagbucks!
  Old  March 7th, 2018, 8:55am     #4314
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle8 View Post
I love hearing about your girls!
And here's to many more stories to come.

I ran across this article about a couple of Italian photographers who have so finely captured the beauty of chickens.

Many of these varieties of chickens I have never seen before. Wow!

Enjoy!!

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2018/0...-tranchellini/
they are beautiful!

Old  March 8th, 2018, 12:38pm     #4315
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Old  April 15th, 2018, 9:03am     #4316
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Old  April 15th, 2018, 7:14pm     #4317
QBookie
Master Sweeper

Lightbulb Recycle Reuse Repurpose
Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post

Purina Dog Chow's green policy Recycle Reuse Repurpose

Do free-range chickens bark?

Last edited by QBookie; April 15th, 2018 at 9:57pm. Reason: add info

Honey, Ain't Nothin' Ever Gonna Be Like It Was Before.
  Old  April 16th, 2018, 8:44am     #4318
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper

Awe a house hen!

Old  April 16th, 2018, 8:55am     #4319
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
Awe a house hen!

She's been going outside during the mid day hours. She manages to find her way around and the back yard is becoming familiar to her. She has limited vision and very poor depth perception. But she's smart, being a chicken, and has figured out how to compensate.

In a few more weeks, the rest of the gang will be freed from the back pen and allowed to access the grassy area. I will have to carefully mesh the house chicken into the flock.

Suspect the gang will be so excited to be freed that they will probably ignore her. Maybe I'll need to bring her in at night, maybe not. I reckon she'll let me know ... either by going into the coop at night or pecking at the back door as she tries to furiously get back inside the house.

Old  April 16th, 2018, 9:22am     #4320
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

When you said you used Cipro that hit a nerve.. I have been debating on getting a medical alert bracelet ( they are not cheap ) because I was given Cipro two or three times.. each time I lost muscle movement on one side of my face .. the first time was very slight.. by the third time ( which really got me to list Cipro as a no-no with the doc and the pharmacy ) I had over 4 days before my face got back to normal. My mouth was drooped and I had to drink with a straw.

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92

Tags
chickens, chicks, coops, eggs, sex