Old  September 23rd, 2017, 2:06pm     #4156
clebar is offline
clebar
Grand Master Sweeper
 
clebar's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 12,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
I have 4 leghorns. They are gorgeous, snowy white girls with fantastic fan tails. Two of them are less than a year old.

Two days ago, the older of the youngest leghorns went into the coop to lay an egg. The youngest hasn't begun laying yet.

I watched as the older one went into a nest, followed by the younger one who jumped up on a storage bucket right in front of the nest and watched her older mate.

She watched as the older hen adjusted the nest and made herself comfortable. The older hen settled in while waiting for her egg to come down.

The younger one stood on the bucket watching everything.

After a while, the older hen stood up and pushed out an egg. She waited a moment, then reached under herself and rolled the egg forward so she could sit on it for a while.

When she was satisfied, she left the coop and I removed the egg.


I watched as the younger one jumped into another nest and sat down, just like the older one had. She waited a bit, then stood up and checked underneath to see if there was an egg. Nothing. She sat down again, waited a bit and checked again. Still nothing.

So she decided to leave the nest. She jumped down on the bucket and then on to the floor and walked over to me. She looked me right in the eye and while I was talking to her, an egg fell out of her. It was very small and perfectly formed. She didn't seem to realize what happened and wandered off.

She laid another egg yesterday, this time in a nest. I think she's got it figured out now.



Such a Sweet story. Thanks for sharing.

www.swagbucks.com/refer/reowreow
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 23rd, 2017, 2:23pm     #4157
HelenR is offline
HelenR
Master Sweeper
 
HelenR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,068
Location: Charlotte NC
Love the Leghorn egg laying story!! The younger one's egg was a nice surprise--just for you!!
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 23rd, 2017, 3:37pm     #4158
chica6969 is offline
chica6969
Master Sweeper

 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,817
What a touching story! Chickens are so fun to watch.
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 23rd, 2017, 9:13pm     #4159
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,313
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenR View Post
Love the Leghorn egg laying story!! The younger one's egg was a nice surprise--just for you!!
she's laid one every day since. She is in her prime.

She is also the most curious little pullet I've ever seen. She explores everything, every corner, every item. When I'm in the coop she joins me and goes right to whatever I'm doing. She gets in the way, but she doesn't know that. I can just see her trying to understand everything.

This afternoon, when everyone was resting in the shaded patio area, she was out exploring. What a curious mind she has.

She is also very calm and likes for me to pick her up and hold her for a bit. She enjoys having her throat scratched.

I'm going to try to get some photos this week, if my knee cooperates. Pinched a nerve and it swelled up, but I can bend it more and more each day. It's always something.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 23rd, 2017, 10:52pm     #4160
jas11563 is offline
jas11563
Master Sweeper
 
jas11563's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,941
Location: Holbrook, NY
Awwww Geez.... I just spent over an hour reading the first 40 + pages of this thread.

I loved rereading Trudle and Russel and Annie, etal stories again.

What did make me think was all the regular posters then who I never see post anymore.
So sad!
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 23rd, 2017, 11:24pm     #4161
mcclave is offline
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper
 
mcclave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 30,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
I have 4 leghorns. They are gorgeous, snowy white girls with fantastic fan tails. Two of them are less than a year old.

Two days ago, the older of the youngest leghorns went into the coop to lay an egg. The youngest hasn't begun laying yet.

I watched as the older one went into a nest, followed by the younger one who jumped up on a storage bucket right in front of the nest and watched her older mate.

She watched as the older hen adjusted the nest and made herself comfortable. The older hen settled in while waiting for her egg to come down.

The younger one stood on the bucket watching everything.

After a while, the older hen stood up and pushed out an egg. She waited a moment, then reached under herself and rolled the egg forward so she could sit on it for a while.

When she was satisfied, she left the coop and I removed the egg.


I watched as the younger one jumped into another nest and sat down, just like the older one had. She waited a bit, then stood up and checked underneath to see if there was an egg. Nothing. She sat down again, waited a bit and checked again. Still nothing.

So she decided to leave the nest. She jumped down on the bucket and then on to the floor and walked over to me. She looked me right in the eye and while I was talking to her, an egg fell out of her. It was very small and perfectly formed. She didn't seem to realize what happened and wandered off.

She laid another egg yesterday, this time in a nest. I think she's got it figured out now.
How sweet!
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 23rd, 2017, 11:26pm     #4162
mcclave is offline
mcclave
Grand Master Sweeper
 
mcclave's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 30,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
she's laid one every day since. She is in her prime.

She is also the most curious little pullet I've ever seen. She explores everything, every corner, every item. When I'm in the coop she joins me and goes right to whatever I'm doing. She gets in the way, but she doesn't know that. I can just see her trying to understand everything.

This afternoon, when everyone was resting in the shaded patio area, she was out exploring. What a curious mind she has.

She is also very calm and likes for me to pick her up and hold her for a bit. She enjoys having her throat scratched.

I'm going to try to get some photos this week, if my knee cooperates. Pinched a nerve and it swelled up, but I can bend it more and more each day.
Quote:
It's always something.
Ha ha don't I know it!
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 24th, 2017, 9:25am     #4163
plazamama is offline
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper
 
plazamama's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 6,740
Location: Shenandoah Valley
I'm sorry for your pain. I know nothing's right when you're having chronic pain.
Glad you can get it straightened out eventually.
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 24th, 2017, 10:48am     #4164
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,313
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazamama View Post
I'm sorry for your pain. I know nothing's right when you're having chronic pain.
Glad you can get it straightened out eventually.
Thanks, and you know I was just using it as the reason I haven't brought the camera outside. But I will, as soon as I only need the one cane, which might be today!

Feeling a lot less pain today - it's healing!

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 24th, 2017, 10:52am     #4165
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,313
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclave View Post
Ha ha don't I know it!
Indeed. You certainly do.

Things come faster and more furious the older we get, but the beauty is in the mind - how much easier it is to handle things. Perspective is a wonderful thing.

Something that would have felt catastrophic when younger, is just a speed bump in one's life when older. One looks back and can view god-awful things that now seem minor ... because we survived.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 24th, 2017, 10:55am     #4166
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,313
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas11563 View Post
Awwww Geez.... I just spent over an hour reading the first 40 + pages of this thread.

I loved rereading Trudle and Russel and Annie, etal stories again.

What did make me think was all the regular posters then who I never see post anymore.
So sad!
I miss so many folks who used to be regulars. Especially miss FlSportsMom. Gosh, it's been 6 years since she last posted.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  September 24th, 2017, 12:12pm     #4167
jas11563 is offline
jas11563
Master Sweeper
 
jas11563's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,941
Location: Holbrook, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by duknuk View Post
I miss so many folks who used to be regulars. Especially miss FlSportsMom. Gosh, it's been 6 years since she last posted.

I know, I had to smile at Bubba references.

I also miss Rocksea lady and reading Ironbutterfly's colorful posts.


Hope you are feeling better soon! You know that old song "The knee bone is connected to the ...."?
As you get older you find out just how true that is!
Reply With Quote
  Old  October 12th, 2017, 11:04am     #4168
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,313
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
In lieu of walking around with a camera for now, I figured I could sit and write about what happened the other day.

I have this little white Leghorn who is so calm and friendly she comes to me when I am in the coop and allows me to stroke her back. She seems to want me to. She likes it more than having her throat scratched.

All the other hens hate having their backs touched - it elicits a predator flight response and they will take off. That's why it's always best to catch a chicken by placing your hands under them as you get close and scooping them up. But sometimes the only way to catch them is to grab their tail.

Anyway, Molly is completely the opposite.

She is also, I think, able to read my mind.

I clean the coop in sections and I sit in the chair to recover in between. I change the order of the sections every day.

Yet every day, Molly always, always goes right to the section I am going to clean next, before I get up from the chair. It's not like I move towards an area and she beats me to it, she actually goes there and waits for me.

So the other day, they were penned in because of the rain, which means I have to keep the pen gate closed and the big coop doors closed. They can enter the coop via the small pop door.

After cleaning the coop that day, I wanted to leave but I didn't want Molly to head straight to the big door and scoot out. She's fast.

So as I was sitting, I visualized myself going back to the stored shavings bags/ metal feed cans area to do more cleaning. There is an inner door which separates both sides of the coop - it was open and it is a wood frame with hardware cloth stapled to it. You can see right through it. So if I am on one side, I can what's on the other side. When open this door blocks the way from the cans/shavings bags to the big outer door.

I had already cleaned the place where the feed/bags are stored (they sleep on anything and leave little deposits behind. Well, not so little - it's pretty big.)

As I'm sitting on my chair (they also sleep there, so it's the first thing I de-poop) I did the visual imaging of going to the other side of the inner door,

Molly runs over, jumps up and waits on the top of the stored shavings bags for me.

Instead, I got up, opened the big door and as I was closing it after myself, I saw Molly looking at me completely stunned. She was absolutely still, wide eyed and staring at me as I left.

I felt a little bad for fooling her, but I was also somewhat pleased that I was able to out smart a chicken.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
  Old  October 12th, 2017, 1:30pm     #4169
HelenR is offline
HelenR
Master Sweeper
 
HelenR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,068
Location: Charlotte NC
I love reading your stories!! They are so descriptive that I can just see Molly watching and learning--and reading your mind! I do like seeing the photographs, too, since you have such a variety of hens. A questio/n for you. Do most chickens have orange eyes?? I think that most of the ones I knew did. Recently my sister-in-law did a painting of a hen's head from a photograph she took and there was the orange eye!

Hope you are having less pain than when you wrote last. My husband dealt with a lot of back and leg pain last year, but with therapy and his doing the stretches they told him to do along with some acupuncture he decided to do, he's having a better year. Now it's time for seasonal bronchitis, which he also had last fall and he's on meds again to keep that from turning into something worse. He doesn't really feel bad, so that's good for him--and me! He's wanting to go to a new Lidl store right now. Have a good weekend!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  Old  October 12th, 2017, 4:55pm     #4170
duknuk is offline
duknuk
Grand Master Sweeper
 
duknuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,313
Location: Where the buk-buk stops on Long Island.
My son once asked me the same question about eye color. The answer is no. I have some nearly black irises, cola colored, brown, bay orange and very light orange. Depends on the breed.
No blue eyes though.

My husband brought the camera to me while I was in the coop and I took some pics. Managed another one or two before I went back inside the house. I didn't get everyone, but it's a lot more than recently.

I will post them tomorrow.

And yes, I am feeling better. I was able to walk as much as absolutely necessary without the half hour rest in between every 20 steps. Back spasms have stopped again, knee is bending more easily. I can lower myself into a chair without making noise!
I am healing!

One of the things Molly beats me to is the chair.

I have to check "behind" me before I sit. She's quick.

....duknuk's chicks are here!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chickens, chicks, coops, eggs, sex

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 8:31pm.