Old  April 26th, 2017, 1:34pm     #166
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

Lots of lemon basil volunteers in my garden this Spring. I'm happy to see them.

Old  April 29th, 2017, 1:50pm     #167
dopey
Grand Master Sweeper

I brought in most of my plants last night, but couldn't bring in the tomatillos because the planter was to heavy and they had started growing on the trellis. I covered them up, but the snow was just to heavy. Luckily it's early in the season and I should be able to get some new plants to put in there. I still have 3 varieties of peppers and 2 tomato plants.
  Old  April 30th, 2017, 12:29pm     #168
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

toasted seeds?
Hubby is in charge of starting my seeds. After all, he grew up amongst farmers and I started my early years living in the concrete jungle We've cut back on what we start from seed--now only wave petunias because they are so expensive at the garden store. He has a set up in the basement that I (formerly) referred to as "the coffin" Big plywood box with a late 70s waterbed heating pad in it. Worked great until this year. I think my seeds have been toasted. Instead of 80 degrees, it went up to over 110 for awhile. Not sure how long, but perhaps too long? Even "Mr. Optimistic" has some doubts.

So as a pre-empted apology, he finally planted my hosta garden. Hostas to the far right were here when we bought the place, but buried under trash for who knows how long. I moved one to the far right. The mostly white ones again are rescue plants from the front yard under 2+ feet of leaves and trash. 4 small ones from Home depot. The slightly droopy one middle/right is a giant hosta from a friend. And yes, there is a random clump of peonies. I have peonies all over the yard--part of my divide and conquer project. 30 plants out of 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hosta.JPG (57.4 KB, 40 views)
  Old  April 30th, 2017, 12:32pm     #169
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

And my relocated tulips are doing great, next to the peonies in the front yard. All safely guarded as part of a witness protection program (bunnies)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tulips.jpg (96.3 KB, 39 views)
  Old  May 5th, 2017, 6:20pm     #170
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

My first peony of the season bloomed today - it's gorgeous and gigantic (Alexander Fleming peony).

There are tiny fruits all over my quince tree, and a few blooms still waiting to open.

The rhubarb is back up after something ate the first shoots.

Old  June 15th, 2017, 2:10pm     #171
dopey
Grand Master Sweeper

Got my first tomato. I usually buy plants, but this time I decided to try growing one from seed.

https://ibotta.com/r/rztlcw
  Old  June 15th, 2017, 6:00pm     #172
bomar97
Grand Master Sweeper

Just planted corn and beans... onions went in Tuesday as well as tomatoes and cabbage.. still have some more to go...

Short on seeds... need another pkt of corn and some green bush beans ( thought I had green and yellow, but turned out only yellow) !

Earn cash back while shopping with ebates - my referral https://www.ebates.com/r/BOMER92
  Old  June 19th, 2017, 12:53pm     #173
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

Veggie garden finally coming along. The corn and the zucchini love the recent hot and humid weather. Our "new" thornless raspberry plants had finally settled in and are sending out lots of leaves.
  Old  June 19th, 2017, 3:36pm     #174
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

The groundhog from hell has yet to show its ugly head. Lots and lots of kale and Swiss chard coming in. Cucumbers are starting, and I've been picking green beans. Lots of tomato blossoms and some baby tomatoes, but still weeks off from picking those.
  Old  June 20th, 2017, 8:30am     #175
caseycupcake
Grand Master Sweeper

Between rainstorms yesterday, I went out to the garden to check the rain gauge. I have over a hundred volunteer tomato plants! Those little yellow grape-like tomatoes sprouted their seed everywhere! Yikes! Guess I'll be pulling every one of them out. Last year, I thought I had purchased a red cherry tomato plant, but it was miss-marked.

One day total was 2.6" of rain. And still quite humid. Guess I don't have to water for awhile
  Old  June 23rd, 2017, 4:19pm     #176
Glam
Grand Master Sweeper

I have another batch carrots, radishes and beets all ready at once, and also a nice variety of greens - we'll be enjoying it over the weekend.

Old  June 23rd, 2017, 8:30pm     #177
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

Anyone into fermenting? I just started. I have loads of kale, and I'm making kale kimchi. If you have any fermenting tips or stories, I'd love to hear them!
  Old  June 24th, 2017, 1:26am     #178
ResourcePress
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiseb130 View Post
Anyone into fermenting? I just started. I have loads of kale, and I'm making kale kimchi. If you have any fermenting tips or stories, I'd love to hear them!
I did carrots a few years back but do not have the recipe.

I am interested in knowing more too

Wishing & hoping & thinking & praying, planning & dreaming... and entering!
  Old  June 24th, 2017, 10:43pm     #179
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResourcePress View Post
I did carrots a few years back but do not have the recipe.

I am interested in knowing more too
ResourcePress, I do follow a group on FB called "Wild Fermentation," and they have some good tips (though they are much more advanced than I am).
  Old  June 30th, 2017, 1:11pm     #180
louiseb130
Master Sweeper

Well, my first ever attempt at making kimchi turned out pretty well. I used kale (since this is what I grow). I think I overdid it on the pepper flakes, but otherwise it tastes pretty good.

Does anyone else make kimchi (or any other fermented food)? Leave me some tips if you do!