channel master is an alternative to TIVO; no monthly fee

over-the air recording only, though
Which product by Channel Master?
  Old  March 1st, 2017, 11:16pm     #32
kav
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbwilliams69 View Post
Does anyone know of a work around for us racing fans? Need to have Fox Sports 1 & 2, NBC Sports Network, CBS Sports Network, and ESPN 1 & 2, as well as Fox, NBC, and ABC. MAVTV would be nice too.
Try a Bluebox. The only cost is purchasing the box. No monthly fees or anything. It's a streaming box. You only need good internet speeds. Lots of sports programming, free PPV events...

My wins
  Old  March 1st, 2017, 11:44pm     #33
Greg62
Master Sweeper

I didn't cut the cord yet, but Hulu for 8 bucks a month is a great deal, I don't have Netflix cause I rent dvd's for free at the library, also look at sling tv, 20 to 25 per month.
  Old  March 2nd, 2017, 3:25pm     #34
rangerxenos
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbwilliams69 View Post
Does anyone know of a work around for us racing fans? Need to have Fox Sports 1 & 2, NBC Sports Network, CBS Sports Network, and ESPN 1 & 2, as well as Fox, NBC, and ABC. MAVTV would be nice too.
Live sports is a problem, depending upon what channels you watch, that's one of the reasons we still have cable. I actually used Sling last year to get my Yankees' games since Comcrap dropped YES Network for a season, and it worked pretty well.
  Old  March 9th, 2017, 3:29pm     #35
Kasper1212
Senior Sweeper

Live Sports is not a problem if...
you get the android tv box....there is the Kodi app which is the best and other free apps. I only have two apps on mine and have probably at least 20 sports channels and there is also live stream, you have every cable channel you can imagine, a couple Hbo channels, there are channels that give you a selection of movies from Hbo, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz, not all movies but a good enough selection, considering the thousands of awesome movies available already, I was hesitant to give up my cable because of my DVR, but with this you don't need a DVR just watch it whenever u want, I was hesitant to give up my Netflix, but one by one all of the Netflix favorite shows that I have, I have found their all on there too.
Another bonus, there is a web browser and they sell keyboards you can use, to go online, add the facebook app and go on facebook, you tube, google whatever u want, right on your tv. I can't say enough good about it, the ONLY drawback that I can find, is you need a box for each room. So I am buying one box a month, MUCH cheaper than my monthly cable bill, until I have one in each bedroom. After that its all about savng $$$

Old  March 9th, 2017, 7:21pm     #36
coljim
Grand Master Sweeper

I don't do TV here but I did buy a very inexpensive Smart TV this year and with Amazon Prime which I have anyhow it keeps me happy.

My Wins
  Old  March 9th, 2017, 8:19pm     #37
TessaC
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper1212 View Post
you get the android tv box....there is the Kodi app which is the best and other free apps. I only have two apps on mine and have probably at least 20 sports channels and there is also live stream, you have every cable channel you can imagine, a couple Hbo channels, there are channels that give you a selection of movies from Hbo, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz, not all movies but a good enough selection, considering the thousands of awesome movies available already, I was hesitant to give up my cable because of my DVR, but with this you don't need a DVR just watch it whenever u want, I was hesitant to give up my Netflix, but one by one all of the Netflix favorite shows that I have, I have found their all on there too.
Another bonus, there is a web browser and they sell keyboards you can use, to go online, add the facebook app and go on facebook, you tube, google whatever u want, right on your tv. I can't say enough good about it, the ONLY drawback that I can find, is you need a box for each room. So I am buying one box a month, MUCH cheaper than my monthly cable bill, until I have one in each bedroom. After that its all about savng $$$
+
I was wondering when someone would mention Kodi. Kodi is the answer for everyone imo. You just need to learn how to use it which can be confusing. There's multiple ways to use Kodi, I myself have the Amazon Fire stick which is sideloaded with Kodi and some good Addons come with the package repositories. You can load Kodi on a tablet or computer without any additional hardware. To learn how to install the addons (which have all the channels) just go to Youtube and look for Kodi walkthroughs.

The addons I use in Kodi are Exodus, CCTV (extended cable channels), USTV (local channels), and Phoenix (great!) Kodi is free and so are the addons, all it takes is some self learning and your cable costs could be $0
  Old  March 11th, 2017, 5:29pm     #38
CalicoGirl
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessaC View Post
+
I was wondering when someone would mention Kodi. Kodi is the answer for everyone imo. You just need to learn how to use it which can be confusing. There's multiple ways to use Kodi, I myself have the Amazon Fire stick which is sideloaded with Kodi and some good Addons come with the package repositories. You can load Kodi on a tablet or computer without any additional hardware. To learn how to install the addons (which have all the channels) just go to Youtube and look for Kodi walkthroughs.

The addons I use in Kodi are Exodus, CCTV (extended cable channels), USTV (local channels), and Phoenix (great!) Kodi is free and so are the addons, all it takes is some self learning and your cable costs could be $0
Ok - I have downloaded Kodi to my PC and found a help guide to use it. It did mention Exodus, but said it is questionable. So are you breaking any rules to use Exodus? And is it an Add-on or something else?
  Old  March 11th, 2017, 6:23pm     #39
TessaC
Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoGirl View Post
Ok - I have downloaded Kodi to my PC and found a help guide to use it. It did mention Exodus, but said it is questionable. So are you breaking any rules to use Exodus? And is it an Add-on or something else?

I just asked my husband and he says its totally illegal. (Exodus is ) So if youre going to use it on a pc phone or talbet, I suggest using a VPN (Virtual private network) those keep you safe and theyre pretty popular.
  Old  March 11th, 2017, 6:25pm     #40
TessaC
Sweeper

Yes Exodus is an addon that can only be gotten from a repository. You install the repositories that contain several addon links - choose the ones you want and theyre installed onto your Kodi
  Old  March 12th, 2017, 1:55am     #41
yadgirl
Senior Master Sweeper
Deep Ends

It's one of those things you just do and see what happens. You might miss your cable at first, but you get used to either not watching anything or sticking with local channels and/or Netflix/ Hulu, etc.

I haven't had cable in over two years. I do have an antenna, but I rarely turn on the TV. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I watch Youtube more than either of those. My computer is all the entertainment I really need. I'm not paying that $50 - $70 a month to a cable company when I really only watched 2 or 3 channels.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/SosaLover/FREEval6/bunny.gif

Squirrel Butts Do Not Glow.
  Old  March 20th, 2017, 2:06pm     #42
cindy100
Senior Master Sweeper

I've had Amazon Prime for the second year and it's great. Recently I bought the new voice controlled Fire Stick for the other TV. A friend programmed Kodi into it, and now we are watching movies at home that are still in the Theaters. My husband is loving the X-Files TV shows, and there is so much more, you can stream live TV too.

Also, I called my Satellite company, DirecTV because my contract was up and I was thinking of just using the DirecTV Now because it's only $35.00 a month, no equipment needed except a Fire Stick, Net Flix, Hulu or a smart TV. She really didn't want me to do that, so she cut my bill by $45.00 for a year. I'm only paying $37.99 now, plus my Wifi company which is $45.00.

Old  March 20th, 2017, 3:35pm     #43
highceiling
Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoGirl View Post
Which product by Channel Master?
we got a channel master DVR+16gb and bought an external drive for it

sorry to be late - wasn;t paying attention!
  Old  April 4th, 2017, 5:13am     #44
Elysium
Junior Sweeper

I get a little overwhelmed at how many streaming services there are... it feels like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon Netflix, amazon, hulu, crackle, showtime, youtube, etc. That's a lot to consider! Maybe it comes down to what shows you actually prefer to watch. I do like the idea of this web app, as it took a while just to find one hub that can tell me where to view the show I want (Black Sails).