Old  February 16th, 2017, 2:21pm     #1
SixReallys
Junior Sweeper

Concert Sweepstakes
So- I used to enter concert sweepstakes if they involved a trip regardless of whether or not I like the artist/band performing. I'm starting to have second thoughts and I'll explain why-
I am dying to see my favorite band Panic! at the Disco but can't afford tickets. So i have been entering the couple of sweepstakes that are out there. And I had a thought - what if some "non- fan" won?! I'd be pissed. I know "it is what it is" But I really want to win!

Thoughts?
  Old  February 16th, 2017, 2:41pm     #2
implode
Master Sweeper

I totally agree, that if non fan won that would be kind of disappointing. Want to win a trip with Metallica meet n greet so badly.

Hall of Fame Winner of BMW i3!!!
Hall of Fame Winner of a trip to NZ!!!
Hall of Fame Winner of $10,000!!!
Hall of Fame winner of Super Bowl Trip!!!
  Old  February 16th, 2017, 2:45pm     #3
swampfox28
Master Sweeper

I agree.

Not everyone does, I'm sure - but I don't enter unless it's something I'd want to win/go to/attend.

There are some exceptions; I'm not a huge tennis fan, but I like it okay and remember trips to the Australian Open. I've entered because even though I'm not *dying* to see the matches, I'm sure it'd be fun...and I AM dying to go to the Land Down Under!!

But for concerts like country music festivals? Nope. I don't really like most country music.

Trips to go to places I'd love to go to but involve wine or other drink tasting/trips to distilleries or wineries, etc? Not for me because I don't drink and I know so many that'd love to win and do those tastings.

I guess it depends on if it's something I don't mind but goes somewhere great - or offers great perks that I'd enjoy, then I'd do it. But just today I saw one for a trip to the set of The Bachelor. Bleaah. I would SO not want to do that -- and I'd be pissed if I loved it and someone like me had entered and just didn't get any joy from it!

Old  February 16th, 2017, 4:34pm     #4
arouet
Grand Master Sweeper

I've gone back and forth numerous times on these kind of things as a sweeper. I've finally reached a place where I accept that people have all kinds of reasons for entering certain sweeps and as long as they follow the rules and don't make things bad for the sponsors, as in a high profile meet and greet that the winner blows off because they can't be bothered, then they have every right to enter and win.

I never enter for trips of any kind, so I guess that's easy for me to say, but the same thing applies to prizes that I want to win. For instance if I'm entering for a Samsung 55" TV, something we'd don't necessarily need, but I would love to win, do I really have the right to get mad if someone wins it and then turns around and sells it? Years back I would have probably said yes, but now I wouldn't. They entered fairly, they won and maybe they just needed or wanted the money just as badly as I wanted the TV. So in your situation maybe they want or need the trip just as badly as you want or need to see the band. At least if you look at it that way, you can think that they wanted it just as badly as you, just for different reasons.
  Old  February 16th, 2017, 4:54pm     #5
Brittles
Master Sweeper

Honestly, I have entered many for artists I am not at all familiar with. I have done the same when it comes to CD's of artists I don't know at all or know just a little bit about. But my thinking is that I just might wind up becoming a fan once exposed to the music since I do enjoy just about every type there is (except rap/hip-hop). The concert is a small portion of the trip and if it's a place I really want to go to, then why not?

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  Old  February 16th, 2017, 5:36pm     #6
Karen_246
Grand Master Sweeper
Senior Moderator/Editor
PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittles View Post
Honestly, I have entered many for artists I am not at all familiar with. I have done the same when it comes to CD's of artists I don't know at all or know just a little bit about. But my thinking is that I just might wind up becoming a fan once exposed to the music since I do enjoy just about every type there is (except rap/hip-hop). The concert is a small portion of the trip and if it's a place I really want to go to, then why not?
Exactly. Say I want to go and see Toby Keith, but I lose out to a person who is a punk rocker that entered, so be it. I don't get ticked off at them because they won and I didn't.

So, to answer your question up there, nope, doesn't bother me what anyone enters for.

"Once we choose HOPE, EVERYTHING is POSSIBLE" ~ Christopher Reeve
Come check out my blog, please follow if you would like. Looking to get the word out about your company, etsy shop, etc, please give me a shout as I am actively seeking sponsors for reviews and giveaways.
  Old  February 16th, 2017, 11:15pm     #7
jas11563
Master Sweeper

I don't get ticked off at something winning a prize I would use/enjoy/have need of more than they do.
If I was meant to win I would have, just move onto the next sweep and congrats to whoever did win.

The only time I get annoyed at a winner is when after they win te only prize in the sweep, it turns out they will not use/take the prize because they are too far away, it doesn't suit their lifestyle or some other avoidable reason. If you enter to win a sweep that has only one prize, be sure you can use, and will take the prize.... you may be taking a win that someone else truly would have appreciated.
  Old  February 16th, 2017, 11:26pm     #8
girliedos
Master Sweeper

I've chosen to not enter trip sweeps with a concert that's not my style. Like Metalica. Someone will love it, just not me, so why take it from them on the tiny chance I'd win. I also don't enter most Disney type of trips because I know there are families that would enjoy it 1000 times more. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it, I would, I just imagine a family going for the first time and kids having the time of their lives.

Now concerts that I really want to see? I get excited entering, imagining me there. Love live music!

I know people have different opinions, that's mine.
  Old  February 17th, 2017, 1:52pm     #9
Fflur
Master Sweeper

I only enter the concert sweeps for a band I really want to meet. Its not really nice to the super fans who dream of meeting whoever.

Make your own luck.
  Old  February 17th, 2017, 3:44pm     #10
plazamama
Senior Master Sweeper

I am one to enter them all. There have been several times when I enjoyed trips more than I thought I would. 2 times were concerts, and not only was the music awesome, but the entire experience as well.
Some of us are just more open to new experiences than others are. I'm 65, and still saying yes to new experiences. My sister who is 2 years younger than I am, recently told me she is more likely to say no to doing something unfamiliar, or just something she's not enthusiastic about.

I'm not saying anybody needs to be one way or the other, I'm saying you can read this thread to see a lot of different thought on the subject.
  Old  February 17th, 2017, 6:31pm     #11
joshm367
Senior Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by girliedos View Post
I've chosen to not enter trip sweeps with a concert that's not my style. Like Metalica. Someone will love it, just not me, so why take it from them on the tiny chance I'd win. I also don't enter most Disney type of trips because I know there are families that would enjoy it 1000 times more. Not that I wouldn't enjoy it, I would, I just imagine a family going for the first time and kids having the time of their lives.

Now concerts that I really want to see? I get excited entering, imagining me there. Love live music!

I know people have different opinions, that's mine.
I appreciate that about the Disney trips. My girls would be out of their minds happy if I ever win a Disney trip. I imagine someday I will stop entering so other families might have a better chance.
  Old  February 18th, 2017, 1:31pm     #12
elittle2004
Senior Master Sweeper

I have won numerous tickets to events/concerts. I have won over 20+ times in the past year and a half. If I didn't like the band performing, I would either sell the tickets or give them away for free.
  Old  February 19th, 2017, 8:59am     #13
ey_re
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixReallys View Post
So- I used to enter concert sweepstakes if they involved a trip regardless of whether or not I like the artist/band performing. I'm starting to have second thoughts and I'll explain why-
I am dying to see my favorite band Panic! at the Disco but can't afford tickets. So i have been entering the couple of sweepstakes that are out there. And I had a thought - what if some "non- fan" won?! I'd be pissed. I know "it is what it is" But I really want to win!

Thoughts?
I have never entered for things I wouldn't want to see. From the beginning. It's just for myself - I can't do that morally? I don't know.. I would like to think it's worked for me karma wise.

Visit me at my blog: Loverbunny Designs
  Old  February 19th, 2017, 3:33pm     #14
carcon
Senior Master Sweeper

A long time ago I won a concert/trip prize. I really wanted the trip but was uninterested in the contest. We went but did not attend the concert. Maybe that was wrong but we loved the trip and had a wonderful time so I was glad that I won it.

You've got to to prime the pump, you've got to have faith and believe
You've got to give of yourself before your worthy to receive!
  Old  February 19th, 2017, 10:01pm     #15
vetstadium
Master Sweeper

I enter regardless of performer if its a trip I want.
Even if it were to see a tv show I don't watch, I would cram and watch it and probably enjoy it. I look at a rare trip win as an experience and if I win was meant to me. So I am not a huge country fan but always enter those. I am sure I'd enjoy a professional concert even if I am not a fan. Just my 2 cents.

4 trips (3 HOF), St Lucia, Paris, Orlando, St Petersberg
MY ONLINE WINS SINCE 2007
RADIO WINS