Old  April 27th, 2012, 10:32pm     #136
Aisling
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookers View Post
Technically, the word 'crybaby' can be an adjective - depends on usage in the sentence. If Hannity had said 'that crybaby Obama blah-blah, etc', the word crybaby would be an adjective. But I guess in Hannity's warped mind, 'crybaby Obama' isn't name-calling, either. So what is it, then?
Nope. Crybaby is a noun. Using a word to describe or define someone doesn't make it an adjective. If I say "that liar Hannity", liar is still a noun. If I say "that lying Hannity", it becomes an adjective, but I don't think "crybabying" is a word.

'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' "Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' Matthew 25:44-45
  Old  April 27th, 2012, 10:43pm     #137
noey718
Senior Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
Nope. Crybaby is a noun. Using a word to describe or define someone doesn't make it an adjective. If I say "that liar Hannity", liar is still a noun. If I say "that lying Hannity", it becomes an adjective, but I don't think "crybabying" is a word.
actually nouns can be adjectives
  Old  April 27th, 2012, 11:19pm     #138
Aisling
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookers View Post
Technically, the word 'crybaby' can be an adjective - depends on usage in the sentence. If Hannity had said 'that crybaby Obama blah-blah, etc', the word crybaby would be an adjective. But I guess in Hannity's warped mind, 'crybaby Obama' isn't name-calling, either. So what is it, then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noey718 View Post
actually nouns can be adjectives
I'll concede the point and acknowledge that sentence structure is key. "Math teacher", "military officer", "German visitor" - so "crybaby Obama" could fit into that category as well.

My understanding is that what Hannity said was "Obama is ‘President Cry Baby’" and that is definitely not using the word as an adjective and he's mistaken/lying when he claims:

Quote:
. . . Sean explained that since “crybaby” is an “adjective,” it’s not a name and hence, Sean is not name-calling.

'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' "Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' Matthew 25:44-45
  Old  April 28th, 2012, 12:33am     #139
snookers
Grand Master Sweeper
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
Crybaby is a noun and sometimes it's an adjective. Like I said, it depends on usage in the sentence.
  Old  April 28th, 2012, 12:46am     #140
KISSaholic4life
Grand Master Sweeper

Merriam-Webster has no listing for crybaby as an adjective.

~ Space For Rent ~
I can be found at Facebook - look for KISSaholic4life

Old  April 28th, 2012, 3:56am     #141
MrsM
Grand Master Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISSaholic4life View Post
Merriam-Webster has no listing for crybaby as an adjective.
Two definitions from Urban Dictionary that I never heard of.

crybaby

the #1 selling wah peddle of all time made by dunlop and made popular by jimi hendrix

crybaby

A form of grinding in which the guy is basically humping the ground, and the girl will sometimes stand over him.

That guy was crybabyin in the club and everyone was watching.

Gee I learn something new everyday. LOL