Old  March 21st, 2012, 8:41am     #1
rthunt
Master Sweeper

Internet Explorer closing Page..Help?
Ever since i got my new computer, i seem to be having an issue...As im sweeping i keep getting a pop up thing at the bottom of the screen saying "THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THIS WEBPAGE AND INTERNET EXPLORER HAD TO CLOSE THE PAGE"...and it does close it. some days are worse than others. yesterday it only done it 3 times and today im only on page 3 and it has done it like 10 times. Now my question is this: Norton came free with the new comp and my husband has already purchased it for a year, but i used to have the free version of Super-Anti Spyware, which i liked. CAN I HAVE BOTH ON MY COMPUTER? Norton has only found some tracking cookies and i'm afraid i might have a virus. I dont know if ya'll need to know this to help but.....I have Windows 7, an HP comp and as u probally guesssed i use Internet Explorer (whick I never had a problem with before). Thanks for any advice and good luck today
  Old  March 21st, 2012, 8:54am     #2
Schmoolander
Master Sweeper

yes you can have both, though some programs like Norton might have an issue with others running. I tend to use my primary (company provided) all the time, and only run SuperAntiSpyWare manually on a weekly basis.

If IE keeps closing on you, it is probably an extension or add-on. Go to "Tools/settings" and "Manage Add-ons" and try disabling ones you don't use.

-Schmoolander

Total win count for 2014: 26
Previous Years - 2013 : 79, 2012 : 142, 2011 : 205
  Old  March 21st, 2012, 9:13am     #3
rthunt
Master Sweeper

Ok that add on thing makes since....i also get a thing that pops up sometimes saying "IF YOU DELETE SOME ADD ONS IE WILL RUN FASTER". I looked there, but honestly I'm not really sure what i need and don't. Heres what it looks like: Under TOOLBARS AND EXTENSIONS: SHOCKWAVE FLASH OBJECT:ENABLED...Under ADOBE SYSTEMS INCORPORATED: ASK TOOLBARISABLED....Under MICROSOFT CORPORATION: XML DOM Document:ENABLED...MICROSOFT SILVERLIGHT:ENABLED...BING BARISABLED....WINDOWS LIVE ID SIGN IN HELPER:ENABLED...BING BAR HELPERISABLED..AND UNDER SIBER SYSTEMS: ROBOFORM Stuff:ENABLED. UNDER SUN MICROSYSTEMS: JAVA PLUG IN SSV HELPERISABLED. UNDER SYMATEC CORP: NORTON TOOLBAR, NORTON ID PROTECTION, NORTON VULNERABILITY PROTECTION: ALL ENABLED. .....Is there anything on there for me to turn off? When i first got that message about the add ons a few days ago, i did try and take off some things, but i dont think i did it right. THANKYOU
  Old  March 21st, 2012, 9:15am     #4
rthunt
Master Sweeper

Talking
i dont know why all those dang smily faces popped up!.....
  Old  March 21st, 2012, 10:43am     #5
swankygirl
Senior Master Sweeper

This is just a suggestion, and you can ignore it if you want, but would you consider switching to FireFox? Maybe just give it a whirl?

Good luck and I hope you get this issue fixed!
  Old  March 21st, 2012, 11:31am     #6
rthunt
Master Sweeper

well, i have been using IE since i started sweeping 5 years ago. and actually sweeping is the only thing this computer is even really used for. i'm not sure if i even know how to change to firefox or any other. but i would definetly consider it. does anyone know if i should delete any of the add ons i listed? thankyou
  Old  March 23rd, 2012, 8:51am     #7
rthunt
Master Sweeper

does anyone know anything about the add ons i posted? thankyou and good luck today
  Old  March 23rd, 2012, 9:33am     #8
jdhj2
Master Sweeper

turn off silverlight
if you don't use silverlight get rid off it.

Last edited by jdhj2; March 23rd, 2012 at 9:35am. Reason: .
  Old  March 23rd, 2012, 9:57am     #9
rthunt
Master Sweeper

Smile
okay, i turned it off...i dont even know what the heck silverlight is, so i dont think i use it....thankyou
  Old  March 23rd, 2012, 10:22am     #10
bjdotson
Grand Master Sweeper

I would go to www.java.com and select "do I have java" It will do a scan of your system and tell you if java needs updating. If it says you don't have java install it.

Then go to adobe and re-install shockwave AND flash player. (both are free)

This should help some

Old  March 23rd, 2012, 10:29am     #11
rthunt
Master Sweeper

gotto....will do, thanks