View Single Post
  Old  February 9th, 2009, 1:57pm     #8
catbird is offline

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 191
When you get an extension they replenish the money for the number of weeks times what you're currently getting. So if someone was getting $100 a week their first pot of money is $2600 for the first 26 weeks. The first extension is for 13 weeks so if someone hits that point they have $1300 added to the pot. The second extension is for 7 weeks, but if you're in a state with an unemployment rate higher than 6% it's 13 weeks, so that next pot of money would be either $700 or $1300.

Most states have a student exemption if you're a full-time student. This allows someone to draw unemployment without having the job search requirement. There's also a federal program called WIA (Workforce Initiative something-that-starts-with-an-A) which will cover the cost of tuition, fees, and books for people going to school or training so they will be more marketable. I don't know much about it except that there's a dollar limit on what they'll pay and they only cover high-need training, such as health care or computers. In this state it's at the same place as the unemployment office.
Reply With Quote