Online-Sweepstakes.com

Online-Sweepstakes.com (http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/index.php)
-   Vent (http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Voting Contest Vent - Cheaters!!! (http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/showthread.php?t=1015180)

Carolg September 7th, 2011 4:52pm

Voting Contest Vent - Cheaters!!!

I have been trying so hard to get votes for our school in a contest. We were doing really well until a few days ago and then really slowed down moving up in the ranks. I decided to do a search on some of the other schools to see what they were doing to get votes.

I found the Facebook page of a parent organization for a school who is ahead of us and moving up. They were comments on there about using other people's emails to vote. One woman said that if she voted for people instead of them doing it themselves. it would be easier and guarantee that the votes get made. She said she was voting for 13 people a day! Others commented and talked about that being a good idea. Another mentioned creating email accounts for her dogs to vote!

What kind of parents are these that post about cheating? Not setting a very good example for their children, are they? They are really stupid to put these comments on their Facebook page.

Oh, well. Just had to vent. Only sweepers understand. Thanks for listening.

Carol

zelda September 7th, 2011 7:36pm

if the people are going to vote anyway, and give her permission to vote using their e-mails , to make it faster(kind of like a proxy) I really don't find anything wrong with that.

Yes it was wrong of someone saying to sign up for e-mails, for their dogs....

I only would find the entering other people's e-mails to vote wrong (no matter how many she did) IF she didn't have the owner of the e-mails permission. If she was doing it with their o.k. I don't see how it would be considered cheating. (especially if they were going to vote anyway)

Ashook September 7th, 2011 7:47pm

so...post the link so my cat can vote!:kitty:

Tonysopranogirl September 8th, 2011 7:35am

that really really sucks:nay:.........I would be beside myself too. I am also involved in a voting contest for my kids school and if I saw this I would report it. Take action it will make you feel better!

Carolg September 8th, 2011 7:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonysopranogirl (Post 10115693)
that really really sucks:nay:.........I would be beside myself too. I am also involved in a voting contest for my kids school and if I saw this I would report it. Take action it will make you feel better!

I sent the link to the Facebook page to the sponsor. We'll see what they do.

Tonysopranogirl September 8th, 2011 8:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolg (Post 10115709)
I sent the link to the Facebook page to the sponsor. We'll see what they do.

Good for you!! :yesyes: I hope the sponsor does something and I hope your school wins!

crackercrumb September 9th, 2011 12:30am

That sucks! :nay:

Let us know how it turns out!

Carolg September 10th, 2011 11:51am

I contacted the sponsor last Wednesday and they have not responded. The other school continues to setup bogus emails and individuals are voting for dozens of people.

Our school isn't doing well at all. We've just about stopped climbing in the rankings. So, I guess I spent a lot of time for nothing. Oh, well.......

LadyCat September 10th, 2011 11:57am

am so sorry that is just not right did you take a screen shot of the page about the voting the other school is doing-in case the sponsor wants proof and the page diappears-picture is worth a thousand words as they say -just a thought

Carolg September 10th, 2011 12:04pm

Yes, I did take a screen shot and I sent them the link. But since I sent it, the school has added lots more.

I may never enter another voting contest!

awssm September 10th, 2011 12:10pm

I will help out other OLSers when I can but have enough to do with just entering my own sweeps and can't be bothered with using other peeps' emails.:usee:

Carolg September 10th, 2011 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by awssm (Post 10118876)
I will help out other OLSers when I can but have enough to do with just entering my own sweeps and can't be bothered with using other peeps' emails.:usee:

Me, too! I haven't even been entering my own sweeps since I have been begging others to vote for the school!

I do think contests to help schools are a wonderful idea, if conducted honestly. I compare the voting contests to the contests that the PTA had when I was a kid. Our local PTA was very good. They had an afternoon monthly meeting that was a big deal. To encourage attendance, they gave $20 to the class that had the most parents and supporters show up. They would call the class and people would stand to be counted. Parents could stand for all classes that they had children in. Others could only "stand up" for one class. There were several older women in town that babysat me. I always asked them to go and vote for my class. And, they did.

ppammela September 10th, 2011 1:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolg (Post 10118911)
Me, too! I haven't even been entering my own sweeps since I have been begging others to vote for the school!

I do think contests to help schools are a wonderful idea, if conducted honestly. I compare the voting contests to the contests that the PTA had when I was a kid. Our local PTA was very good. They had an afternoon monthly meeting that was a big deal. To encourage attendance, they gave $20 to the class that had the most parents and supporters show up. They would call the class and people would stand to be counted. Parents could stand for all classes that they had children in. Others could only "stand up" for one class. There were several older women in town that babysat me. I always asked them to go and vote for my class. And, they did.

So do I, but this thread is just another example of why voting contests should stop. Especially when it's a voting contest for such a good cause. They would of been better of just randomly selecting a winner or using a panel of judges. What a shame.

noni1959 September 10th, 2011 7:11pm

I think the contest should stop too. I see people win that in no way should have. Recently someone I know has a video contest for singing and clearly someone else there is better so to pass the better one up, he has all his friends creating accounts to vote to pass the other one up.

Carolg September 11th, 2011 7:34am

Here's some quotes from their Facebook page:

my old school from cali is ranked 33...we have to get passed them...i need to make more accounts :)

I'm already voting for 36!!

You can ask them to register and once they have confirmed their email address with Avery, you can then take over the voting using their email and password.

I currently have to do 13 every morning!!!

I made my dogs email accounts so that they can vote too!

I am up to 23 now! Everyone is letting me do it for them, but I am HAPPY to do it!!!

Tonysopranogirl September 11th, 2011 7:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolg (Post 10119789)
Here's some quotes from their Facebook page:

my old school from cali is ranked 33...we have to get passed them...i need to make more accounts :)

I'm already voting for 36!!

You can ask them to register and once they have confirmed their email address with Avery, you can then take over the voting using their email and password.

I currently have to do 13 every morning!!!

I made my dogs email accounts so that they can vote too!

I am up to 23 now! Everyone is letting me do it for them, but I am HAPPY to do it!!!

Hopefully the sponsor does something this is soooo slimy!
ps got your school again this morning

Carolg September 12th, 2011 3:40pm

Heard back from sponsor. They aren't going to do anything about the cheaters. Here is their reply:

Avery is using an industry-standard account verification (CAPTCHA codes
and email confirmation); since we do not check Photo ID, there's no way to
ensure that every account is owned by a real person. Our promotion rules
state: Voters must complete and submit the registration form precisely as
instructed in order for their votes to be eligible. These email addresses
are verified and registration rules are followed.

Thank you for your concern and feedback.

SweepingBeauty September 12th, 2011 6:33pm

send that info to the school as well, they should hate cheaters more.:soapbox:

Carolg September 12th, 2011 6:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweepingBeauty (Post 10121703)
send that info to the school as well, they should hate cheaters more.:soapbox:

I think the school knows about it from what I have read. I called the corporate headquarters today and had a chat with the CEO's assistant. She was appalled (or seemed to be). She asked me to forward the info to her.

I never went looking for cheaters. I went searching to see how some of these schools were getting so many votes and I found this. I am sorry I did. It's taken all the fun of trying to win for these kids.

arouet September 12th, 2011 7:27pm

I'm actually more appalled at the sponsor than the cheaters. We all know that there are dishonest people out there, liars, cheats, thieves etc. They are what they are, and usually by the time they hit adulthood, it's ingrained so deep, it's no longer what they do, but actually the sum total of who they are.

The sponsors on the other hand, are the ones who make me sick. They are supposedly running this contest for completely altruistic reasons, to help out schools, but they have just shown that they don't care about anything but their own bottom line, which in this case is page hits and getting their name in front of as many people as possible. They don't care about the integrity of their contest, they don't care about any sense of fairness when it comes to the outcome of the contest, and they really don't care about the people and or schools that actually took the time to enter this contest.

Well they got their name out there, but certainly not in a good way, with anyone who reads about this. Count me as being totally unimpressed by Avery and anything that they do or produce. All I can think of is that if they don't care about fairness or integrity when it comes to this, what are you going to be able to expect from them if you buy their products and have a problem with them? Are you going to just get a letter like this from them full of puffery about their make believe standards and how they can't be expected to be held responsible for anything higher?

Tonysopranogirl September 13th, 2011 3:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolg (Post 10121460)
Heard back from sponsor. They aren't going to do anything about the cheaters. Here is their reply:

Avery is using an industry-standard account verification (CAPTCHA codes
and email confirmation); since we do not check Photo ID, there's no way to
ensure that every account is owned by a real person. Our promotion rules
state: Voters must complete and submit the registration form precisely as
instructed in order for their votes to be eligible. These email addresses
are verified and registration rules are followed.

Thank you for your concern and feedback.

That is awful are you kidding me????????

Carolg September 13th, 2011 3:35pm

No, that's their response. In a later post I mentioned that I called the CEO's office. I spoke with one of his assistants. She asked for me to forward her the documentation that I had. She seemed to understand my concern more than whoever replied to my email. I asked her if I could vote for my cats since they were voting for dogs. We were actually laughing at one point.

I also explained to her that CAPTCHA codes only insure that a human being is entering. It does not insure that people are only voting once. I told her that they needed to look at IP addresses. 40 and 50 votes coming from the same IP address is obviously voter fraud. I went on to state that 2 or 3 votes with the same IP address just mean that family members are voting, but that 40 people would not have the same IP address!

I went back and read their rules again. They actually state that unsportsmanship behavior will get you disqualified! Apparently, not.

Tonysopranogirl September 13th, 2011 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolg (Post 10122840)
No, that's their response. In a later post I mentioned that I called the CEO's office. I spoke with one of his assistants. She asked for me to forward her the documentation that I had. She seemed to understand my concern more than whoever replied to my email. I asked her if I could vote for my cats since they were voting for dogs. We were actually laughing at one point.

I also explained to her that CAPTCHA codes only insure that a human being is entering. It does not insure that people are only voting once. I told her that they needed to look at IP addresses. 40 and 50 votes coming from the same IP address is obviously voter fraud. I went on to state that 2 or 3 votes with the same IP address just mean that family members are voting, but that 40 people would not have the same IP address!

I went back and read their rules again. They actually state that unsportsmanship behavior will get you disqualified! Apparently, not.

Well hopefully they will look into it after she gets on it and dq the cheaters! I have but one day left of my contest and I for one CAN not wait....

Carolg September 14th, 2011 8:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonysopranogirl (Post 10123509)
Well hopefully they will look into it after she gets on it and dq the cheaters! I have but one day left of my contest and I for one CAN not wait....

How is your school doing? I, too, will be so happy when this is over.

The cheating school has quit posting about their tactics on Facebook leading me to believe that Avery contacted them. But they are probably still voting for all those bogus emails that they setup. LCA only moved up one space yesterday, so there is no way that they can win this. They are 46 right now.

Good Luck with your school.

Carolg September 14th, 2011 2:03pm

There is another school that is moving very quickly. I couldn't see how they were moving up so fast, so I did a search. Here's what I found:

I registered 11 new friends today for the Avery contest. As long as I registered them, then they would forward the email to me so I could vote daily. That way I don't have to bug them ever day and I know they voted because I'm doing it for them. Do you guys know anyone that you could do this for? We can still come in the money. We just really need to stay focused and try to get some more voters. Let's do it!
Share September 9 at 8:03pm

LadyCat September 14th, 2011 2:26pm

that is just awful what message is this sending to these kids-win no matte r how even cheat-is all thats important
the sponsor should be ashamed the way they are handling this sweep i feel for you

Silver Spring September 14th, 2011 4:15pm

Well, you know what they say: Anything worth having is worth cheating for....

Kinda makes you want to friend them and blast them on their own Facebook page, doesn't it?

zelda September 14th, 2011 4:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Spring (Post 10124344)
Well, you know what they say: Anything worth having is worth cheating for....

Kinda makes you want to friend them and blast them on their own Facebook page, doesn't it?

I have never heard that saying in my life, what a horrible saying