Online-Sweepstakes.com

Online-Sweepstakes.com (http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/index.php)
-   Computer & Internet Stuff (http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Old Cell Phone?? (http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/showthread.php?t=1401587)

bomar97 April 27th, 2018 10:04pm

Old Cell Phone??

What do you do with an old cell phone?

I normally sell mine cheap on ebay since the batteries are usually running down.. but this one was a reconditioned one that sometimes goes haywire.

Because of that, I wouldn't want to even donate it to be usable for an emergency phone.

ttm April 27th, 2018 10:56pm

My husband uses his to play audio books. Loves it. :wink4:

sweepmama April 27th, 2018 11:04pm

I use mine as an alarm clock.

bomar97 April 28th, 2018 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweepmama (Post 11537797)

I could do that! Since we changed over from the CRT to a flat screen, we lost our major alarm clock.. the old CRT would turn on in the morning waking us up and the flat doesn't have that option.

We tried the radio alarm clocks but radio reception is terrible here and the buzzer is just too much!

dopey April 28th, 2018 10:24am

We give them to my grandson, he likes to do drop tests with them.

captain_kirk24 April 28th, 2018 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomar97 (Post 11537787)
What do you do with an old cell phone?

I normally sell mine cheap on ebay since the batteries are usually running down.. but this one was a reconditioned one that sometimes goes haywire.

Because of that, I wouldn't want to even donate it to be usable for an emergency phone.

Recycle. Most electronics retailers, like Best Buy, have a recycling repository for old devices.

bomar97 April 28th, 2018 2:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain_kirk24 (Post 11537900)
Recycle. Most electronics retailers, like Best Buy, have a recycling repository for old devices.

If the alarm clock doesn't work out.. next trip to the big city, we'll tote it along and see if they have a bin for it.

implode April 28th, 2018 3:58pm

Usually keep them as spare, or smash them with a hammer and throw them away. Like computers, ton of info that can be harvested from them. You don't want to sell them/give them to others given identity theft risk. Cell phones are a gold mine of personal data. Even if you wipe them, many times sensitize data can be recovered with the proper software.

MrsWW April 28th, 2018 8:32pm

Quote:

Me too!

You can always use it as an emergency phone for 911. Even though it no longer has a service provider it can be used to call 911. Just make sure you stay on the line with the 911 operator because they will not be able to call you back.

On another note, don't let your kids play with it. Nothing more annoying to have a kid call 911 and not have an emergency. It ties up resources that could be used for a real emergency...

bomar97 April 28th, 2018 9:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsWW (Post 11538002)
Me too!

You can always use it as an emergency phone for 911. Even though it no longer has a service provider it can be used to call 911. Just make sure you stay on the line with the 911 operator because they will not be able to call you back.

On another note, don't let your kids play with it. Nothing more annoying to have a kid call 911 and not have an emergency. It ties up resources that could be used for a real emergency...

The battery isn't lasting long, so won't be good for 911 .. otherwise I would either sell it or donate like I've done in the past... as an alarm clock, I can keep it plugged in.

plazamama April 29th, 2018 1:03pm

you could check out gazelle.com

I have had good results with them.

bomar97 April 29th, 2018 2:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by plazamama (Post 11538148)
you could check out gazelle.com

I have had good results with them.

It was a cheap Tracfone LG .. not listed as anything Gazelle would take.

kitalina April 30th, 2018 1:19am

Quote:

Me too! My 14 year old flip phone with a cradle charger wakes me up with a really loud version of the "Can Can"

SarahBear2010 April 30th, 2018 8:54am

I take mine to Best Buy for them to recycle. Call an electronics store to see if they have a recycling program to take in old cellphones.