PDA

View Full Version : Higher Taxes Hit Working Wives

OHANA
March 5th, 2009, 11:25pm
Well It wont affect me anymore now that we only bring in less than 25,000.00 a year. Could hurt some. http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2009/03/04/higher-taxes-hit-working-wives/

jaklackus
March 6th, 2009, 2:03am
I think it has always been the issue once you get into that sort of income range....I know we were clobbered on taxes our first year of marriage because we exceeded 100k......we ended up keeping more of our money when I stayed home with a newborn we came in slightly below 100k ....of course it was a combo of lower tax rate and new deductions and credits for the baby and the Bush tax cuts but the breathing room in the budget was much welcomed.

Of course if the plumber and the teacher got the Obama pre-cabinet edition of Turbo Tax they wouldn't have anything to worry about unless of course Obama suddenly wanted to appoint them to cabinet position then they would have to scramble to pay the amount that regular old Turbo Tax tells everyone else to pay. Otherwise I would say get a good accountant and whittle that 160k down...my husband loves it when our accountant tells him to spend money.

daskds
March 7th, 2009, 10:23pm
Hubby and I hit this years ago! We were both making around 35 - 40k (1990s) and had lived together about a year. Both of us always got $$ back from our taxes. First year we were married, we paid. No change in salaries, deductions - nothing. We called it the happiness tax. They add the incomes together and throw you into a higher tax bracket. Not fair! We still spent the same for the two of us whether we were married or not. Sux.

edited:
Ok, I read the article, not feeling sorry for a couple making 220k plus. Just not gonna. We live a very good life. We make around 100k. If you make more, you should pay more in taxes. Deal with it. Plumbers, teachers, lawyers... doesn't matter what you do. The $$ make the difference.