PDA

View Full Version : Beta Testing The "Paid Membership" begins soon!

Katie Scarlet
September 12th, 2003, 10:43pm
For those that have been asking and waiting and wondering... we will soon begin to beta test the new "model" for the site. We will begin with those members that have made donations, being our beta testers for the new set up. We will not be able to begin accepting new "paying" memberships for a short period of time, but we will be sure to let you all know as soon as we are sure of the date. Barring any software issues, we should be beginning the test at the beginning of next week.

Brent will soon follow up this post with more details about how the changes will affect all the members in the near future. I just wanted to share the progress that we are making so far!

Katie :)

LadyT
September 12th, 2003, 10:53pm
Whoo Hoo!!!:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: So that's what Brent has been up to. Thought maybe he won a vacation and left you here holding the bag.;) I'm sure that you've both been working at it day and night and that it will be sensational. You really do so much on this site. Thanks for the info and everything you do here Katie!:smile3:

Dixiebelle31
September 12th, 2003, 11:06pm
Oooh I can't wait. I love beta testing. lol Thanks for the heads up, Katie. =0)

ifwalker
September 12th, 2003, 11:16pm
Give me a big, loud DUH, but what the heck is a beta test?? :confused:

Katie Scarlet
September 12th, 2003, 11:20pm
A "beta test" is when you put your new software through it's paces before you take it live... much like Microsoft does when it has a new version that they are working on, or Playstation would do before it releases a new game. You test the software and make sure that you try your best to eliminate any bugs that might make it function in any way other than the way you planned.

GTBuzz
September 12th, 2003, 11:26pm
Bugs?! Why what do you mean? I thought that anything that you and Brent did would be perfect right from the start!!! :smile3:

Thanks for the update :)

amy_leach
September 13th, 2003, 8:47am
Ok, so if we don't want to be offline with this site, where do we send a donation?

rojo13864
September 13th, 2003, 9:07am
Katie, I don't want to lose the site..so Consider & tell me when It's time to donate or pay..I LOVE on-line sweepstakes..and couldn't bear to lose it now! This place rocks...and all the members too! We won't be off line while you test this Beta Trial will we? We will still have access here?

Katmagick
September 13th, 2003, 9:18am
Just wondering how far back you are going regarding the donations. I donated a couple months ago.

junehane
September 13th, 2003, 9:25am
Can we use a credit card or personal checkto pay? I'm clueless about paypal. thanks

SweepingBeauty
September 13th, 2003, 9:38am
I paid membership by check. Press the Contact button at the bottom of the screen-that should help give you info.

Katie Scarlet
September 13th, 2003, 9:38am
Donations made prior to August 5th will be counted towards the beta testing.

No one will lose access to the site, however, during the beta test you may lose access to some sweep listings as we work out the parameters of the system.

bcaps10
September 13th, 2003, 10:00am
Quote " however, during the beta test you may lose access to some sweep listings as we work out the parameters of the system.

Katie "

Should we start saving our sweeps in our favorites folders? This was not a good thing to hear first thing Sat. morning!
:grin2: I think I am going into DT's already!

Cara

Katie Scarlet
September 13th, 2003, 10:02am
No, your mysweeps will remain in tact! LOL Take a deep breath now and relax!

bcaps10
September 13th, 2003, 10:06am
ahhh thanks! lol

Katmagick
September 13th, 2003, 10:17am
~Thanks Katie~

goldylox
September 13th, 2003, 10:23am
Katie,

Will those of us who are not beta testing lose any benefits?

twinmommytoo
September 13th, 2003, 10:23am
OK, I sent a donation on 7/9 but my paypal name and my screen name are different. I don't know if I noted who I am or not. Am I in?? Please??

Katie Scarlet
September 13th, 2003, 10:28am
Goldylox,

You might lose access to some of the new sweep listings, otherwise, your functions should remain the same.

twinmommytoo - send me a pm with the specifics of your donation and what screen name was associated with that donation. I will make sure that if is addressed for you.
Anyone else that sent a donation and did not make note of your screen name should do that as well.

princessJ
September 13th, 2003, 10:33am
Will we all eventually have to pay to use this site then? I arrived here in Aug and didn't know you were taking donations...life without OS was BORING!!!

Katie Scarlet
September 13th, 2003, 10:39am
You will not have to pay to use the site, however some new features will only be available to members that have paid. Some new sweeps listings will be designated as "member only" listings and will not be accessible to the "general membership". The membership fee, however, will be reasonable - $30 per year.

So, you will most likey not lose access to any functions that you have access to right now, but you will be restricted from accessing any member only features, functions or areas.

PS... I wish Brent would make the full announcement soon, don't you? ;)

princessJ
September 13th, 2003, 10:50am
Thank you for answering my question! $2.50 A MONTH to use this site? NO PROBLEMS HERE!!! Will it be by paypal? or other? Also for those of us who post sweeps when we find them...will we still be able to do that?

Jennie

TrishMc107
September 13th, 2003, 10:54am
I hope you have a check option. I don't do pay pal , credit cards , debit cards etc.. I don't like owing anybody any money. I'm a bit old fashioned. Okay I'm an older fart. That's the way I was brought up.
Trish

amy_leach
September 13th, 2003, 10:56am
Will Paypal be the only way of paying? Can we pay for an entire year another way? I haven't ever used Paypal. I love this site & $30/year sounds fine to me too.

Katie Scarlet
September 13th, 2003, 10:56am
Absolutely you will all still be able to post sweeps!!! And yes, we think the fee is very reasonable and affordable. Paypal will be the preferred method of payment as it is more easily traceable for both us and the individual members, but I am sure there will be some alternative way to pay as well... that method has not been determined as yet though.

See... it's not all that scary is it? ;)

TrishMc107
September 13th, 2003, 10:58am
yes..... pay pal is scary to me lol

Katie Scarlet
September 13th, 2003, 11:02am
LOL Don't worry... we will work some alternative out for those that don't use paypal!

greenwidow
September 13th, 2003, 11:26am
I do not like pay pal either. The $30 fee per year is very reasonable considering the hours of enjoyment I get out of this site! Please keep us posted on where and how to submit payment!:D

rojo13864
September 13th, 2003, 11:31am
I'm so thrilled with your reply Katie! $30.00 a year is really reasonable..and I will use paypal to pay for my fees..when your ready! Thank you, thank you! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

chinchilla
September 13th, 2003, 1:03pm
Looking forward to the new system and membership! :)

Freaking out a little about losing some sweeps for awhile, though. :eek: Guess I'll have to get a life or something. ;)

Lupinea
September 13th, 2003, 1:26pm
Can we still make donations? Not with the intention of being in a group or anything. I have been lonely here in a new city with a sick mother-in-law and this site has provided a site for sanity for me. I don't have a bunch of bucks but I wanted to send a little to help out and didn't know where to send it. Please let me know. lupinea@aol.com

jbird
September 13th, 2003, 1:28pm
What sort of sweeps will we non-Beta testers be losing access to in the interim?

maria1234
September 13th, 2003, 2:27pm
I love that this site has been free, but I'm more than willing to pay the $30. I started sweeping in March and have won way more than $30 worth of stuff. Thanks OS!!!

sometime
September 13th, 2003, 7:52pm
I was not aware of donations. How will it be determined what "new sweepstakes for members only" will be. 30 bucks a year does sound reasonable---Brent hit the BIG sweepstakes!!! The potential for at least a cooool 300 thousand a year or more!!!!!! WOW

snappleone
September 13th, 2003, 8:08pm
Can we pay the fee now so we don't lose any access to the site or do we have to wait to send our $30/year?

Let me know through a pm if it is possible.

Thanks

Katie Scarlet
September 13th, 2003, 8:10pm
The sweeps that will be reserved for members only have yet to be determined fully and will obviously be somewhat fluid from month to month.

Sometime, I think you way over estimate the potential!

jbird
September 13th, 2003, 8:16pm
Thanks for answering all our (many) questions, Katie!!! Looking forward to the "offical" announcement from Brent :)

sometime
September 13th, 2003, 8:25pm
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Katie Scarlet
[B]The sweeps that will be reserved for members only have yet to be determined fully and will obviously be somewhat fluid from month to month.

Sometime, I think you way over estimate the potential!

Not being sarcastic, I think it is great!

maxwell24
September 13th, 2003, 9:37pm
I am more than willing to pay the membership fee. I'M NOT willing to give up my OLS...nope, can't do it, not gonna. I'm already addicted!!! I just hope check payment is considered. I get hives thinking about paypal. LOL

:mm:

strchld
September 13th, 2003, 10:04pm
This is very exciting! I think $30 is very fair.....My donation was a few months ago and was not huge but I hope I get in on the beta testing!!! Can't wait!!:smile3:

Marie
September 13th, 2003, 10:42pm
I'm not interested in beta-testing, I'm willing to be a paid member of this site when the official start date is set...but...
why should I lose access to sweeps listings in the meantime?

If nothing I do now could change this fact (send in money), I'm just resigned to missing out on some sweepstakes?

What incentive is there for me to keep posting what I find if I can't go back and look at them?

I've posted over 150 sweepstakes in the 90 days I've been here.

Oh well??? :nay:

Katie Scarlet
September 13th, 2003, 10:47pm
We have a plan for that as well tmarieok... you should not miss out in anything you would post yourself...

We need a period of time to beta test the system and make sure that we can work out all the details... such as this one.

The Seahorse Lady
September 13th, 2003, 11:18pm
Please let me know when to send payment for membership. Count me in - can't wait.

:)

EGNATZ1
September 13th, 2003, 11:22pm
KATIE AS SOMEONE WHOSE BEEN HERE A WHILE I DON'T THINK 30 DOLLARS IS BAD FOR SOME PEOPLE.

BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF WHO ARE JUST EXISTING . I DON'T WANT TO LOSE ANYTHING THIS SITE HAS TO OFFER BUT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PAY THE FEE AT THIS TIME . SO HOW MUCH OF THE SITE WILL STILL BE FREE . PMS,FORUMS , I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT I WILL BE LOSING .

DAVE H

Cusmile
September 13th, 2003, 11:25pm
Let me see, 200 bucks an hour for therapy over the past ?? years for with no good result.
30 bucks a year for a membership to some of the most wonderful advice and sweepstake therapy I have ever encountered?

What do you think my answer is?

Fire the psychiatrist!

OLS has my business now. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Thanks Katie, you have answered my prayers. I only wish I had made a donation, darn-it, I love being involved w/clinical trials, er....testing, er what ever you called it.

Katie Scarlet
September 13th, 2003, 11:28pm
Dave,

As I understand it (as it is structured right now - always subject to change as Brent builds away) almost all functions (if not all) that you currently have access to will continue to be "free". Some sweeps will be reserved for "members only" however. New features that will be added could be made available only to paid members in their full capacity, and to free members with limited functionality.

Of course, until Brent makes the full announcement, that's the most info I can provide. You won't lose too much Dave, other than some of the sweep listings...

Cusmile
September 13th, 2003, 11:30pm
Originally posted by EGNATZ1
KATIE AS SOMEONE WHOSE BEEN HERE A WHILE I DON'T THINK 30 DOLLARS IS BAD FOR SOME PEOPLE.

BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF WHO ARE JUST EXISTING . I DON'T WANT TO LOSE ANYTHING THIS SITE HAS TO OFFER BUT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PAY THE FEE AT THIS TIME . SO HOW MUCH OF THE SITE WILL STILL BE FREE . PMS,FORUMS , I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT I WILL BE LOSING .

DAVE H

Dave, I have read your posts and I really admire your determination. I would be honored to sponser you if they let me. I will not forget, so come the time to sign up, I will be signing you up too! I have your name buddy!

Love, Michele.

djr58
September 14th, 2003, 1:55am
:bump: :bump: :bump:

Suggestion regarding the $30 fee:
I, too, would have a difficult time shelling out the full fee at one time. Would you consider allowing two payments of $15 each? That would certainly help those who need it, and allow everyone possible to stay with this awesome site!

I have to agree with the multitude who love spending time here. It's fun, easy to use and comes with a really nice group of people!
I joined in August 2003 and now I'm hooked line and sinker!

:cheer: :cheer:

JoniHaynes
September 14th, 2003, 1:58am
You are a wonderful person; what a great idea!!!

Joni :cheer:

carogonza
September 14th, 2003, 10:26am
Originally posted by Cusmile
Dave, I have read your posts and I really admire your determination. I would be honored to sponser you if they let me. I will not forget, so come the time to sign up, I will be signing you up too! I have your name buddy!

Love, Michele.

Great idea Michele. I too enjoy Dave's posts. Let me know if I can help. I would miss all the great news Dave posts. I tend to get my news on OLS nowadays because some of the best stuff is posted here.

sweepsfreak
September 14th, 2003, 10:28am
This is great information. Thanks for keeping us updated. I did send a check in, I just can't remember if it was before 8/5 or not. Oops!

crazywh1telady
September 14th, 2003, 10:45am
I am new to this site and have enjoyed it so much that I would not mind becoming a paid member. I have read everyones post and it seems that the anticipation of the sites transition has really got some people(including myself) wondering what ifs??
We really need to just relax until brent makes his offical announment. I'm sure it won't be long. Plus it seems to me that he is very fair and will take everyones ideas into consideration.
Happy Sweeping!
Danielle

r0berts
September 14th, 2003, 10:51am
Thanks for all your hard work - and Brent's as well. I think I'm a Beta Tester - I donated this last Spring. Just let me know what I need to do! If chosen, I'l be honored to represent!

brendaque
September 14th, 2003, 7:25pm
Couint me in.....ready, willing & able!!
:laugh: :grin5: :p

goldylox
September 15th, 2003, 6:45am
Katie,

Will the time for beta testing be short enough so that once we pay we wont miss out on any good sweeps?

Goldylox

JULIE4104
September 15th, 2003, 8:25am
This is the BEST site ever!!! Not only for the sweeps but for the people!!! I feel like you all are family and (I agree) better than any therapy I've better been to!! LOL When and who do I pay? I'm more than willing and will also be willing to sponsor a member if needed!!!! Julie

tjbinno
September 15th, 2003, 6:22pm
I also have been waiting to subscribe.

So it sounds like you need to do a beta. It would be good for those in the "in-between (waiting for the finished site)" to do a good beta but keep it as short as possible so that we don't miss too many sweeps.

amy2951
September 15th, 2003, 7:17pm
I can't wait either! I gave a donation way back in January, so I do hope that I am included in the Beta testing-Katie, I sent you a PM did you ever recieve it? I have seen sites come & go, and although I don't post as much as I would like to-This is the best site on sweeping there is! :cheer:

parsa
September 15th, 2003, 7:26pm
I have many years experience developing tests for software and systems. I can help provide a structured approach to the test effort. It depends on how detailed/formal you want the "beta" to be.

Several questions and suggestions:
...is there a list of the new features to be tested
...is there a list of requirements
...set up a forum to post descrepancies found or a button that has a popup form to fill out with fields such as:
......1) problem title, date, time
......2) tester's/user's name for future questions as necessary
......3) general problem description
......4) description of where you were going or where you came from when the problem - current page
......5) detailed description - what were you doing when it happened
......6) implement auto generator to assign a tracking number
......7) descrepancy status to include something like: New, Reviewed, Accepted, Rejected (maybe have various reasons listed), Duplicate, Under re-work, Returned for re-test, Retested, Closed, New tracking number,
...have a descrepancy review board that is responsible for reviewing NEW descrepancies and statusing Open descrepancies
...set up a forum that lists descrepancy status

Just some quick things that came to mind. :smile3:

leigh
September 16th, 2003, 2:42pm
Will you put some kind of reminder on the home page when the time comes to sign up? I'm so forgetful, I'm afraid I will neglect to check the announcement forum and I'll want to become a member as soon as possible!

I guess flashing, spinning, blinking text is a bit much to ask to get my attention but just a link on the top page would be nice. =)

Thanks!

Leigh

jesjaime
September 16th, 2003, 3:01pm
Did the Beta testing begin? I received a Happy Birthday message today from OLS Beta Forums. How nice. I did send a donation in a few months back, and was wondering if this meant I was already among the Beta testers.

Thanks for the Happy Birthday. It's my mothers b-day today too.
together we are 102 today.

Donna

PS Great job with this site.

mgals
September 16th, 2003, 3:29pm
I have made donations to this site for two years (members only sweeps, this year we guessed Brent), I have posted several sweeps, etc. but I have not applied any donations to the "membership" portion. Hopefully my previous donations will be considered and allow me to be part of the "beta" group.

If not, will you make an allowance for those to submit late payment and still be represented in the beta group?

bc42
September 17th, 2003, 9:42am
The HTML is now off by default for me, Am I no longer going to be able to use my fancy sig. til I'm able to become a paid member?

See....................................................................

Blueyes4444
September 17th, 2003, 9:46am
Do we need to go ahead and pay? Is there going to be some sort of a deadline to pay by? Us low paid peas need to know in advance! :laugh: :laugh:

Kasey
September 17th, 2003, 9:50am
I also wanted to know when we should pay ?
i think it was 30$ right
let me know how to send my payment via paypal

Trish617
September 17th, 2003, 10:41am
OH Brent, OH HANDSOME SMART WEBMASTER :smile9:
I also would like to pay the $30 when you start wanting payment.
Please put it on the home page... I keep forgeting to check this forum...
:sleep2:

You are well worth this fee :)
This is one of the nicest sites ever! :cheer7:
You have done such a tremendous job on OS :jump: :cheer7:

Check will be in the mail as SOON AS YOU DESIRE!!!

KUDOS (AND KISSES :halo: ) TRISH

butsie13
September 17th, 2003, 11:03am
Me to BC - I guess the statement that everything we have available will be staying the same but just a few extra things for paying members was not the whole truth - My HTML is off as well!!!!

Marilyn
September 17th, 2003, 11:39am
Hooray! :cheer7:

StarbucksAddict
September 17th, 2003, 12:08pm
Me to BC - I guess the statement that everything we have available will be staying the same but just a few extra things for paying members was not the whole truth - My HTML is off as well!!!!

There was a major upgrade done to the forums. There are bugs and kinks to be worked out. Don't assume that features have been taken away - they may just not be working. I've found several items like that myself today.

*Star

EGNATZ1
September 17th, 2003, 12:41pm
I Hate To Complain Because Brent Does Such A Great Job And I Know He Has A Lot Going On. But The Small Script Size Is Driving Me Nuts. Why Did We Go To Such A Small Script Size.

Dave

mpumr
September 17th, 2003, 12:51pm
Please put some type of flasy sign, if possible on the home page for a reminder of the payment. I too am forgetful, it's a wonder that my water and electric haven't been shut off yet :laugh: ! I normally wouldn't pay for a site, since like others I pay to have net access, but I love it here too much to go without all of the bells and whistles that pd membership will have :smile9: .

Also will I have to start wearing my glasses while perusing this site? The type is kinda small; or is this something that is being worked on?

Thank you Brent for this wonderful site, I love it!

Marsha :gvibes:

Lutzplay2
September 18th, 2003, 7:54pm
Totally thrilled with what's new, missing my freebies but i am sure that they will come in due time. I paid my dues so bring on the testing! Do we get free 3D glasses as well? LOL

BlueIrishEyes
September 18th, 2003, 8:13pm
This is going to sound like a stupid question. The $30.00 fee stated sounds fine. I have 3 people in my home that use the site. Is there going to be a family membership rate. Or should I just figure on $90.00 when the time comes?

Good Luck and happy sweeping all!!!

PS I know my opthamologist helped design this--he needs to pay for his new tennis court

Heather
September 18th, 2003, 8:38pm
I just have one question... I was told I won a free paid membership (for one year?), because I guessed who Brent actually was for that contest earlier this summer with the photos of him. Will that be taken into account automatically, or should I still pay? Thanks for any info. I would pay up to $50 / month for this site, just because it is soooooo awesome!! :)

novaca99
September 18th, 2003, 9:42pm
I sent a check in July or August of 2002 but have been waiting for this site to go to a paysite before I sent more.Will I be included in the Beta test? $30 is quite reasonable. I have won many thousands of dollars worth of prizes here.

Greg

snkiiiiiiiis
September 18th, 2003, 10:18pm
I am fairly new and have not donated yet but would really like to as soon as possible so that I will not miss out on the daily sweeps that are listed. Is it possible to pay now and still be considered so as to not lose the daily information such as the "expiring sweeps list" and the "New Sweepstakes list" on the home page? I only come on here for a couple of hours after work and dont really use alot of the bells and whistles, but Im sure as time goes on, I will. Please let me know if a payment now will be considered for this test and where I can make it. I do not have Paypal and do not really wish to sign up for that... but I have all the credit in the world... Visa, MC, Discover... take your pick. Or even a Money Order or Cashiers Check. I am getting panic attacks just thinking of losing one day on this site !!.... Thanks....

strchld
September 18th, 2003, 10:48pm
I think the changes are great. I am still checking things out and keep finding new stuff! I think you all are doing a supurb job and just want to say thank you! :clap: :cheer:

hare2Win
September 19th, 2003, 12:20am
I have made some donations in the past. How will we know it we are a beta-tester??
Love this site - have no problem paying a fee. :love:

gdthoms
September 19th, 2003, 1:12am
I, also, would like to know how to pay so as not to lose any days. I am a teacher and I have been using this site for 2 years now. I can't really contribute posts because I am so busy (crowded classroom these days), but I am willing to pay as I have won more than a few bucks worth of merchandise and money over the years.

Scary Snarky toaD
September 19th, 2003, 2:06am

Love, Michele.

What a sweetie you are, Michele! :gvibes:

Did I miss something -- will only paid members be able to post?

Katie Scarlet
September 19th, 2003, 7:10am
This is going to sound like a stupid question. The $30.00 fee stated sounds fine. I have 3 people in my home that use the site. Is there going to be a family membership rate. Or should I just figure on $90.00 when the time comes?

That is an excellent question and in the year (yes, a year plus actually) that we have been discussing this in the forums, one that I can't remember ever being asked before (so, that translates to - I don't have a direct answer for you on that one :blush: )I will definately be bringing that one to the table for discussion though. Thanks so much for asking it!

Chrissy
September 19th, 2003, 11:26am
Well this is first post as I sorta linger.... but I too would not mind paying for this site :smile9: I am still trying to learn how to post and use this forum (not too computer savvy)

ANYWAY ! Please let us know what we can do and when so we dont miss out on any sweeps.

Have any of you ever had "SWEEPS WITHDRAWAL SYNDROME" ? Not a pretty site ! heehee

Thanks

Chrissy :cheer7:

gunnerclark
September 19th, 2003, 11:53am
I would have to use a non-paypal method as I refuse to use them for personel reasons. They are owed by ebay, and they have several rules that make me unhappy to use them. But 30$ is worth it.

bc42
September 19th, 2003, 11:58am
Geez! gals and guys! I read an earlier quote of "$20 per year" but we on this board have somehow upped it to $30 per year - Do I hear $40 per year?

Just kidding, $20, $30, $40...whatever, seems worth it to me!

PS: Just don't get too crazy there Brent, you see what just happened to Dick Grasso?

maxwell24
September 19th, 2003, 12:02pm
Chrissy, I've never actually "had" SWS (sweeps withdrawal syndrome) I'm still a little
new. But I've seen it from one of my friends and I can testify------IT'S DOWNRIGHT
UGLY!

I41 want to be on the safe side!

:)

Kim

Chrissy
September 19th, 2003, 2:23pm
Hey Kim ! (maxwell24)

LOL !!! Like they say "Better Safe Then Sorry" !!!

You mean you never got that ich when you havent checked a sweeps board in a few days ? heehee

It kinda sneaks up on ya when you least expect it LOL :)

Many Wins To You !

Chrissy :)

mlaureli
September 20th, 2003, 12:10pm
I'm ready to pay my subscription! :) I get so much enjoyment from this website. I'm sorry I didn't think about donating in the past. THANKS for creating such a great community.

CORRINA1
September 20th, 2003, 2:00pm
[FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=DarkOrange[B][I] :worry: HI MY NAME IS CORRINA AND I WAS JUST A LITTLE CONCERNED ABOUT THE FEE OF 30.OO BECAUSE I REALLY CAN NOT AFFORD IT , MY HUSBAND AND I AND OUR SON WHO IS 2 JUST GOT OVER GOING THROUGH A FLOOD AND LOST EVERYTHING AND KNOW ARE STARTING ALL OVER AGAIN .
WE MOVED TO HIGHER GROUND AND HAD TO BUY A DOUBLEWIDE HOME WITH INSURANCE AND A NEW TRUCK THAT WE KNOW HAVE TO MAKE PAYMENTS ON INCLUDING FULL COVERAGE THEN WE HAVE DOCTOR BILLS BECAUSE MY 2 YEAR OLD FELL AND HIT HIS FRONT TEETH ON THE ROCK FIRE PLACE AND HIS MOUTH SWEELED UP AND HAD TO BE TAKEN IN AND HAD TO REMOVE A COUPLE OF HIS TEETH AND THEN PUT FAKE ONES IN AND THERES JUST SO MUCH MORE AND TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT I WAS COMING HERE CAUSE THE PEOPLE WERE SO KIND AND SWEET AND IT WAS FREE AND IT WAS THE ONLY WEB SITE GIVING ME HOPE FOR SOME BIG WINS TO MAYBE HELP US OUT A LITTLE. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ALL ARE GOING TO CHARGE US SO I CAN DECIDE ON WHAT I SHOULD DO AND I KNOW YOU JUST HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO OK THANK YOU FOR EVERYBODY WHO LISTENED TO ME AND I HOPE THAT THINGS WILL WORK OUT FOR THE BEST THANK YOU TO ALL AGAIN BYE.
CORRINA

velvet49329
September 20th, 2003, 2:25pm
Corrina-Some of the site will remain free. You will still have access to some of the features and sweeps without being a paid member. I'm not sure what features will only be available to paid members,because Brent hasn't announced that yet. So don't panic! :)

Christel
September 20th, 2003, 9:57pm
I am also willing to pay the $30-I have won many great things because of this site! What is the address? I can't seem to find it anymore.

clbrowni
September 21st, 2003, 10:45pm
What is the address? I can't seem to find it anymore.

Click on the "Privacy Statement" link at the bottom of the page. There is an address at the end of it.

cindi

peggysue
September 22nd, 2003, 2:38am
hi gang, i also cannot afford the 30.00 per year:( im an at home mom who doesnt work, and things are rough here, loosing both my brother and my sister... and school just starting for my daughter, this is my free time to relax and try to have fun and win something... so im hoping they will reconsider the high fee...

btw i didnt read through all 7 pages but the 30.00 is last i read..
thanks again for a wonderful fun well layed out site.... hugs to all peggysue

ShelaMarie
September 22nd, 2003, 7:16am
I think the site is worth $30 a year, but I'm one of those on a tight budget as well, two payments of $15 (semi-annually) would work better for me. Is that going to be an option?

Sheila :halo:

Starr
September 22nd, 2003, 7:44am
I also love this site but I can't afford the price of $30 either, being a single parent with two special needs children my money is very limited. This is my haven away from the daily grind where I come to have fun and try to win something...thanks for such a great site!!

whimseyruth
September 22nd, 2003, 4:37pm
I hope I'm doing this correctly.
1. To what address do I send $30? No Pay Pal, please.
2. I am a mac user and can still not get the notes.
3. I appreciate this wonderful site

ruth

Baldy
September 22nd, 2003, 4:53pm
The contact info is at bottom of privacy statement...You might want to double-check to whom it (check/mo) should be made out to...

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/privacy.html

whimseyruth
September 22nd, 2003, 5:01pm
Baldy;
Thanks for answering, and so quickly. I sent a similar question several weeks ago, but obviously incorrectly. Wow!! I did it, and you had the info.
ruth

Baldy
September 22nd, 2003, 6:26pm
You're welcome. Actually, I didn't know answer either, but searched for words "check" and "donation". I learned something too.

Mastrstewy
September 24th, 2003, 1:20pm
I've enjoyed this site for over three years and I believe its one of the best contest sites ever. I wouldn't mind paying 30 dollars a year for this site and would gladly be available for any beta testing. Just let me know.

thebiggirl_1
September 24th, 2003, 7:30pm
I have been extremely busy lately so I have not been able to go through all these posts. The last I remember reading was that pay subscription is in beta testing.

Is Online-Sweepstakes going to send us an email letting us know when the subscription payment due date and the cost?

Hopefully I will be starting a new job next week and I know that I will not be able to spend a lot of time going through the threads on this issue. I would prefer an email, so that when my new job settles down and I can spend more time online sweeping, I won't miss out.

Cheers

MrDave
September 26th, 2003, 1:32pm
Sorry to hear the site is going to become a paid site.

It sure has enough features to make paying it worth it I suppose. I hope our "My Sweeps" area isn't held hostage though, I wouldn't want to lose them all just because I couldn't pay to keep them around - a lot of time spent getting those in line.

I think $30 is a little high. I would be much more willing to contribute $10 or so, so I hope there may be some levels where contributing a lower amount are available.

In any event, I think what Brent has done here is great. I love the people here and the sweeps are obviously well organized.

Christel
September 27th, 2003, 10:01pm
I went ahead and paid the $30. If it does end up being cheaper please use it to help one of the individuals that can't afford it. I love this site and have won several items including a trip to Hawaii so since I am blessed and can afford it please help the individuals who can not if it is possible. I love this site and do not want it to go away since I have now found it this year!

SweeperSheri
September 28th, 2003, 4:29pm
I owe this site big time for many wins I've received the last three years. I happily mailed off my $30 last week with an extra $10 bucks thrown in so Brent can buy some beer and peanuts while he works for us into the wee hours.

Brent, I can't express my appreciation enough for this site! :toot: :gvibes:

sometime
September 28th, 2003, 8:53pm
I was not aware we were able to send money now, or that we should.
When does this become a pay site...?

Would someone please advise what is going on with this issue?
I do not have time to follow all of these conversations that MAY
not be revelent to payment for this site.

Thanks

kaiminani
September 28th, 2003, 9:14pm
I did not read all of the 7 pages in this thread so forgive me if this has already been addressed in a previous post. I donated $20.00 shortly after I joined the site. Will this be applied to the paid membership? Thanks for your help! :smile9:

dwndrgn
September 29th, 2003, 6:57am
Count me in on the payment plan! Paying $30 all at once would be very difficult on my current budget. Also, we need to have specifics on what will be available for paid membership. If the membership restricts posting to members only, then the sweeps posted will be from members only as well. Also, if you are not a member, will you be able to use the MySweeps feature and read the posts in the forum even if you can't post there yourself?

Editing for clarity:

Just two questions:
1) What, specifically, will be the difference between a free registration and a paid membership?
2)Will there be a 'payment plan' option to make the yearly payment in more than one payment?

Thanks for any help!

kevnem
September 29th, 2003, 7:06pm
yikes...I joined recently and didn't realize it would become paid. Oh well, now I am hooked so what can ya do? Is it really $30/year? When does it start and where do I send the money? TIA!!! :cool2:

jojosweeps
September 29th, 2003, 7:34pm
I went ahead and mailed the $30.00 today. We need to remember that the equipment, software, man hours committed to maintaining this site are worth their weight in gold when we get one of those little / and or HUGE wins!!!!
I do hope that something can be done for those who can't afford this right away. There sure are a bunch of nice people here and I wouldn't want anyone to miss out!!!

rojo13864
September 30th, 2003, 3:05pm
:gvibes: I also sent my payment this afternoon by paypal. I added a little extra money for the purpose of helping someone who might not be able to pay the full amount. Sure wish I could do more for everyone..but it's a start. I LOVE OS and the members!! Now to snag a win..lol!!

amy2951
September 30th, 2003, 9:47pm
I just paid my $30 dollars-I am going back to school, so this site is even more important to me then before! I truly enjoy everyones comments and good wishes. :cheer3:

joyce47834
September 30th, 2003, 9:54pm
where do I send a payment?

DaydreamingLady
September 30th, 2003, 11:08pm
I sent my check for $30 to Brent the first of last week, so it should be there by now. If it is less than $30 just keep the difference toward some other expense or toward membership for some one. If it turns out to be more I will send the diffence as soon as I know what it is. I do not put my credit card numbers or check numbers on the computer---have never used paypal--so wanted my check to get there so I would be a member from the beginning!!!

:supstar: :supstar: :supstar: :supstar:

rojo13864
October 1st, 2003, 11:22am
Joyce47834 go to the bottom of this page and click on privacy statement that will give all the info that you need! Lol..It took me a week to find it..Good Luck! :gvibes:

Lucki Sunni
October 1st, 2003, 11:53am
I just popped my $30.00 check in the mail to Brent ~~ didn't hurt a bit... :)
Big thanks for all you do Brent and thanks to everyone who helps run this wonderful site...
:cool2: Lucki Sunni

susannarose
October 1st, 2003, 5:34pm
I will be more than happy to pay the $30 membership fee for this great site. Before I pay, I need to know if the new "model" will support webtv/msntv. I think they are one protocal now.
THANKS

deegster
October 4th, 2003, 8:39am
[/B]Lets see, water bill, sweepstakes, water bill, sweepstakes?Hey count me in too. This place is better than sex (if I remember right).Just tell me where to send the moola. :jump:

Nikita
October 4th, 2003, 6:34pm
Help! I'm sooo poor. It's not that I don't think the site is worth the price, it surely is. But also being a single parent of 2 boys, I'm way below poverty level. I owe everybody and their brother money. Probably the only way I could do it is if I could make small monthly or bi-monthly payments. I'm signed up for Paypal cuz sometimes I earn a little extra money from taking surveys and some of them pay thru Paypal. Does anyone know if that would be a possibility? I'd try to "save up" but every cent I get goes right back out the door. :frown3: I don't want to lose this site, so I hope there will be payment options for us "po" people. :laugh:

barb1590
October 9th, 2003, 1:18pm
When do we pay?

donnaou
October 15th, 2003, 6:37pm
Hello. I am wondering how much you are looking at for members to pay and will you be able to make exceptions/sdjustments for those who are disabled and on a fixed income? I crochet and could donate an afghan or some Christmas stockings if that would help. Your site is of great help for me and I am already really bummed cuz I may not be able to pay. Thank you. This is my first time posting and I hope I did this right :0) :jump:

Faye Valentine
October 17th, 2003, 3:23pm
So, checks are being accepted, it's not just paypal?
I know this has been asked before but I just want it confirmed so I don't get laughed at/boo'd when I mail my check! :cool2:

alycep06
October 19th, 2003, 10:34am
do we need to start paying? We will get an email or announcement?

anangke
October 21st, 2003, 1:20am
http://a.wholelottanothing.org/features.blah/entry/007472

I was reading a blog and came across an article about how this guy pays for his website by using googles textads. It would be great if the admin/owner of this site looked into this. With as many people that use and love this site. Clicking on an unobtrusive textad wouldn't be a problem.

Marilyn
October 21st, 2003, 5:07am
I see enough ads. I would like to see OS remain ad-free.

bev1132
October 21st, 2003, 9:10am
I Second That, Marilyn!!!!

anangke
October 21st, 2003, 7:20pm
Its a textad not a bright picture that flashes. I think it would be a great way to keep OLS from becoming a paysite. I love the service OLS provides but would not be able to pay for it :( Who wouldn't like to keep it advert free, but a small text add wouldn't bother me.

mskimmers
October 22nd, 2003, 4:04am
Brent/Katie
Can you do an FAQ on this? I've just scrolled through a ton of stuff and can't seem to find answers to my questions (ie ok is it 30$ per household, person what? what features will be free?What is being improved (one of the things I would LOVE is being able to delete the sweeps I am not interested in I don't see them at all and another feature I would love would be to know that I have done my daily entries each day ..ie it tells me ok you have entered this today you moron) I am sure there are lots of questions I am not thinking of at 1am and lots other people have and lots that are here somewhere !

Love the site ....will be a struggle to pay but I think you guys deserve a great job and $30 over a year is not a lot of money at all.

Since I started coming here I have won more than $30 worth of stuff for sure...my one "big" win so far being 2 x plane tickets from Delta but at any moment I'm waiting for a car or cash!

Heather
October 22nd, 2003, 4:38am
I was one that won a paid membership in the Guess who Brent was contest in June or so. Seriously, I would like to donate my paid membership to an individual, who is deserving, as I dont really need it. $30/ year is extremely reasonable and I'd pay 100/ year, to continue in the forums here with the great members. BUT I dont mind if you keep it at 30/ year. Just let me know when I need to send it, and I want to know for sure that someone else can get mine for free, if that's alright! Thanks so much! It would mean a lot to me! I dont know how we'd pick, as there are some, but whichever way u want to decide is fine with me, or if u want me to decide I will read all the posts and decide. Any comment regarding this would be appreciated! :)

irish501
October 22nd, 2003, 5:00am
I have only been here a short time but could I send a check now as if I lost any of this site I think I would give up sweeping.

MeMeLinda
October 22nd, 2003, 12:37pm
My check's in the mail today!!!! I tried to log on this morning and it wouldn't accept me, but after a couple emails I was able to log on. I was scared that the paid membership had started already so I got my checkbook out right then and there!! :cool2:

meowpossum
October 22nd, 2003, 1:03pm
I see enough ads. I would like to see OS remain ad-free.

Just some random thoughts. . .

I personally wouldn't have a problem with ads like the ones anangke is talking about, if they were fairly unobtrusive, like the amazon.com link on the OS index page. Since it seems as if the $30 fee is going to be a problem for several people, it's OK with me if ads can reduce the amount charged for membership.

Alternatively, since it's the OS visitors who actually provide much of the content that people will be paying to see (since the sweeps listings are submitted by site visitors), maybe some kind of exchange can be worked out, where if you submit, say, five sweeps in a month, you are credited with a month's free membership? Some kind of incentive like might actually *increase* paid membership, since the number of sweeps would be correspondingly greater.

A third thought -- maybe potential paid members could pay for membership in smaller time increments than a full year? A person new to the hobby (and not knowing how long their interest will last) would be more likely, I would think, to pay for a one - or three-month membership initially, and the smaller payment might help out some of the folks who have difficulties springing for a full year at once.

timbersnoni
October 22nd, 2003, 3:16pm
Ads are seeming to become the way most people are moving. By the time you calculate the monthly service fees for the band width, the cost of design and all those techno guys fixing the problems. The cost adds up rapidly.

As long as it's not covered in BLINK, BLINK---I dare you to find the content here text ads would be no problem. No pop-ups though, hate those. Almost hate pop-ups more than those sites that make you spend x amount of time on a page prior to it letting you go to the page you wanted to get to in the first place.

OS doesn't have a product they are selling so I can see the need for ads to cover some of this. Sites with products have no business with all these stinking bling, blings, it's not like it helps them in their google dance anyhow.

elainmir
October 22nd, 2003, 3:40pm
I for one would hate to see ADS on OS.one thing that sets this site truly apart from others is you don't have to wade thru a ton of crappy ads to get to a sweep! :smile9:

DaydreamingLady
October 23rd, 2003, 3:13pm
I for one am against having ads. I think a membership fee is much more in keeping with this site.

:supstar: :supstar: :) :) :jump: :jump:

Pat

friday
October 28th, 2003, 10:49am
Okay, so I just started sweeping on Friday and have already won over 50 dollars worth of stuff! I'm amazed at how this has all come about. I'd be more than willing to pay 30 dollars a year to be able to sweep and hang out with all the wonderful people here.

With Christmas coming up, however, money is extremely tight. So I need advance notice to know when payment has to be made to allow me to keep sweeping.

Where do we find out when the actual "Paid Membership" starts? I hope that it will be in big flashing letters on the main page so I don't miss it!

Be well,
Friday

irish501
October 28th, 2003, 1:48pm
Can we send a check now and where do we send it?

ANGEL
October 28th, 2003, 5:24pm
See: OLS Guide to Common Problems and Questions [updated 10/20/03] under announcements posted by Brent.

***Common Questions***

I've heard a lot of things about the upcoming paid-membership program, can you tell me more about it?

-- I'm real bad with time tables, but I'm going to try like the dickens to get it started on November 1st, 2003. I will post an announcement with more details about it at least a week before it officially starts.
-- All donations that have been received will be credited towards a subscription. Donations received before September 1, 2003 (with a little leeway) will be credited with an additional 50%. For example, if you donated $20 you will be given credit for $30 (one full year).
-- The cost will be $30/year; $20/6 months; and for the first 30 days, $10 for 3 months. The preferred means of payment will be Paypal because the subscription process is automatic and instantaneous. If you prefer to pay by check or money order, you can make it out to either Online-Sweepstakes.com or Brent A. Riley and mail it to:
Brent A. Riley
3972 Covington Dr.
Springfield, OH 45503
-- One of the biggest differences between the paid and free memberships will be approximately 30 - 50% of the sweepstakes that get submitted will be reserved for paid-members only. Paid-members will also have additional benefits and features including the ability to save unlimited sweeps in MySweeps, last entry time and entry total tracking for each sweep in MySweeps, and access to paid-member only forums (and eventually notes). Many, many more additional features and benefits will be added exclusively for the paid-members as we go along.
-- Other than limiting the number of sweeps available, almost all current features that are freely available now will remain free once the paid-membership program starts. You will not lose access to anything if you choose not to subscribe.

This appears to be the latest...until we are notifed differently.

Note to Brent: For those who wish to use PayPal, could you also list what e-mail address to use for payments to you? For those who use a different e-mail address for PayPal, (may I suggest they put their OLS e-mail address & user name under comments to correctly credit payment). Many thanks to you, Katie and all of the others involved in making this a great site!

Debbie

PKB
October 28th, 2003, 5:44pm
I vote for paying the $30/yr (come on, most of you probably drink beer or wine, or smoke, buy junk food, etc. and $30/yr is NOT going to deprive you of anything important--otherwise you couldn't afford a computer and service, etc. :cool2: :cool2: ) and PLEASE, OH, PLEASE LET'S NOT HAVE ADS! I hate those darn ads. The Internet was SOOOOOOO cool before it was commercialized--no ads anywhere. :smile9:

dianecl
October 28th, 2003, 5:46pm
May have missed this: When is anticipated cutover to paid membership? Not complaining, this is hands-down the best sweep site out there! Think $30/yr. very reasonable, but want to get full year's benefit and not miss out! Thanks, Brent & Katie!

shortman
October 28th, 2003, 5:51pm
im glad i donated ;) but they were pretty small donations :frown4:

Gaylep
October 28th, 2003, 5:53pm
I would like to pay by Paypal. So yes please give us the correct email to use.
As I said earlier - I've owned websites for pay and $2.50 a month is a fair price.
I think they do a great job and it takes alot of work to keep a site like this going.
Thanks for all the good work you do!!

http://www.angelfire.com/oz/gp0/winged_girl.gif

Shooter
October 28th, 2003, 6:01pm
Whoo Hoo!!!:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: So that's what Brent has been up to. Thought maybe he won a vacation and left you here holding the bag.;) I'm sure that you've both been working at it day and night and that it will be sensational. You really do so much on this site. Thanks for the info and everything you do here Katie!:smile3:

Amen to that!

gdthoms
October 28th, 2003, 9:39pm
I'd also like the address to send Paypal payments to. Is the date November 1st for the paid membership?

Mrsloon
October 29th, 2003, 7:47am
I've just signed up for paypal, I also need to know where to send $30 for membership. Thanks for all you do!
:hello:

cmra1
October 29th, 2003, 8:29am
would like to be part of the beta if it is available

MsMarie
October 29th, 2003, 8:55am
<snip> Brent A. Riley
3972 Covington Dr.
Springfield, OH 45503

SPRINGFIELD!! Isn't that where the Simpsons live?!! :smile9:

btw my check will be in todays mail

Pansy
October 29th, 2003, 8:56am
Is it to late to send a check? TIA

alexx
October 29th, 2003, 9:15am
Im definately signing up.just waiting for everything to get underway

Jenhavins
October 29th, 2003, 9:30am
Should I go ahead and send a check or wait for furthur instructions? Also, will I get a confirmation that I have paid?

As someone stated earlier, I spend enough on mixed drinks, going out to eat, snacks, etc. to afford to pay. I will also send a little extra to help one of the sweepers that can't!

littlebit870
October 29th, 2003, 10:08pm
Hi jenhavins !

No I think it is best to hold off until Brent is ready to start the membership offer. I know he has been working at getting everything ready. I know everyone is worried they will be shut out but that is not going to happen. Brent has so much on his plate right now and I think it is best to wait until he is geared up to handle other forms of payment besides PayPal. Please everyone, we have to understand that Brent is a one man show when it comes to having to write all the code :type: for this site and it's many features. He is also a perfectionist (not a bad thing :laugh: ) and what may look and work just fine to us may not look and work well enough to suit him. I think what we all have to understand is NO ONE is going to be completely blocked from the site. Once he begins to offer memberships I am sure everyone will be given ample time to decide if they want a paid membership or not . (Read the last couple of sentences in the following thread as you can see even if you decide you do not want to take advantage of the paid memberships you will still have access to the site and it's forums.) Someone asked that we do a FAQ on the whole paid membership topic. I will PM Brent and see if we can address some of those questions that have not been answered for you.

Read the following that brent posted in another thread it may answer some questions you as well as others might have.Please everyone take note that Brent has stated he will post a week or so in advance when he has everything ready to go,so please the date he mentions in this post is not cut into stone and is by no means the official start date :grin5:

I've heard a lot of things about the upcoming paid-membership program, can you tell me more about it?

I'm real bad with time tables, but I'm going to try like the dickens to get it started on November 1st, 2003. I will post an announcement with more details about it at least a week before it officially starts.
All donations that have been received will be credited towards a subscription. Donations received before September 1, 2003 (with a little leeway) will be credited with an additional 50%. For example, if you donated $20 you will be given credit for $30 (one full year).
The cost will be $30/year; $20/6 months; and for the first 30 days, $10 for 3 months. The preferred means of payment will be Paypal because the subscription process is automatic and instantaneous. If you prefer to pay by check or money order, you can make it out to either Online-Sweepstakes.com or Brent A. Riley and mail it to:
Brent A. Riley
3972 Covington Dr.
Springfield, OH 45503
One of the biggest differences between the paid and free memberships will be approximately 30 - 50% of the sweepstakes that get submitted will be reserved for paid-members only. Paid-members will also have additional benefits and features including the ability to save unlimited sweeps in MySweeps, last entry time and entry total tracking for each sweep in MySweeps, and access to paid-member only forums (and eventually notes). Many, many more additional features and benefits will be added exclusively for the paid-members as we go along.
Other than limiting the number of sweeps available, almost all current features that are freely available now will remain free once the paid-membership program starts. You will not lose access to anything if you choose not to subscribe.

peggysue
October 29th, 2003, 10:21pm
I am wondering if they are willing to accept an honest offering from some of us folks who ( cannot) afford the whole 30.00 I do know i am not the only one here who cannot afford this at this time, as i am not employed and waiting on my fingerprints from the fbi so i can start work in a few months for the township board of education..
anyways... at this time i can afford to donate 5.00 for a honest good faith donation,
not sure exactly how much it cost to keep us up and running but i sure hope they decide to work with us non/lower paying members. thanks again for a neat friendly fun site:)
sincerely, peggy

lilblupixie
October 29th, 2003, 10:50pm
while I understand that its the owners perogative to start charging I have to say i am against it and i wont be one of those buying a membership .I mean I realy like this site but all of the sweeps that get listed here can be found on other sites why pay when I can find them free.I wish everyone the best and gl to all

ltgeiger
October 31st, 2003, 7:41pm
:nono: I was reading some of the discussin about paying for certain parts of the site. I used to visit another sweeps site that charged for services. I live on a very low fixed income because I'm disabled and can not afford to pay. When I left the other site they cut off everything including access to my email where I registered for the sweeps I had entered at that site. I would not be able to use this site if I had to pay and I like it here even though I am new. This is only my opinion. :worry: :worry: :worry:

datagal
October 31st, 2003, 8:36pm
:goodevil:
Just my opinion, but if Brent offers free or nearly-free membership to everyone who says they can't afford the $30 per year it will be a lot harder to convince others to pay. None of us have a "right" to use these services for free. It was nice while it lasted, but if we want this site to continue and not go the way of so many others, there needs to be some money coming in. Obviously, the decision to go to a paid membership wasn't made lightly, but out of necessity.

Besides, it's been stated many times over that there will still be some areas open to non-paying members.

lilblupixie
October 31st, 2003, 9:10pm
I agree if he's going to charge thats ok and i understand that everyone should have to pay if thats the direction the sites going in and i think its great that there will still be some open parts of the site to non paying members I also agree with those that cant afford to pay as i am one of them most other sweepstakes sites dont charge for usage such as sweepstakes advantage ,g.r.i.t.s. and alot of others

myac
November 1st, 2003, 9:52pm
Katie, I don't have credit cards or a checking account do you think I could pay by money order? I love this site and I don't want to give it up.

LauraH
November 3rd, 2003, 9:25am
I for one think that this site is worth the $30.00 a year fee due to the pure pleasure of winning sometimes. My check is in the mail. :cheer:

lavyn
November 3rd, 2003, 9:43am
I didn't win anything until I started using this site. I have looked at other sites but they don't have the setup this one has . Ilove this site!! Those who moan about $30 a year need to re-evaluate their finances.A little more than .50 cents a week is a lot cheaper than sending snail mail sweeps at .37 cents a pop. :hello: :cheer7:

SDWSDW1
November 3rd, 2003, 9:48am
I just can't afford to pay right now!!! :worry:

LilDevil
November 3rd, 2003, 9:50am
None of us have a "right" to use these services for free,,,,,,,,,,http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/Other/229031_confused2.GIF,,,,,,,,,,,Sure we do,as long as it is available that ishttp://media.theinsiders.com/Media/Other/229031_fineprint.GIF,,,,,,,,,,,,Now,With that being said,I would be happy to pay for this membership.$30.00 is nothing compared to all the money I would of lost had this site not been here (Casino gambling :worry: )Now is this the address to send in the payment???Brent A. Riley
3972 Covington Dr.
Springfield, OH 45503,,,,,,,,,,,,,,If it is ,my payment will be arriving somtime next week.Can someone confirm the address???And Brent if your reading this will we have unique codes or something to distinguish from non-subscribers????Hows this work???Thanks

rosswilli
November 3rd, 2003, 10:01pm
But I for one have not kept up on this thread, it got too long and went on too long for me to keep tabs with!! I'm willing to pay, as I know how much work it is to do all this, and plain and simple, I win best from this site. Not tons yet but I see so much potential, ha!!

So, forgive me for not going through ALL the threads, and forgive me about being stingy with my $'s, but when I pay $30 is it one year from the time I pay, or do you pay for calendar year and pro-rate and has it actually started, when I peeked at the threads once it said to wait... So, is there an official announcement yet or do we continue to stand by?? Then I peeked again and something about a discount for doing early but guess i missed that one by not reading the thread all the time

I just don't know what to do, boo hoo.........

Ljackie
November 4th, 2003, 9:22pm
To find everything you need at one place without hunting everywhere we should all be happy to pay $30 a year. It could end up saving you money if you stop other things. I love this site.

:supstar:

beverhart
November 4th, 2003, 9:39pm
Just a question... I understand that it is the perogative of the site owner for use of their site but, is it really ethical to charge for accessing the sweeps or limiting access to certain sweeps when they are submitted by the people visiting the site?

I guess now is the time to UNLEASH THE FLAMES...

honeymom
November 4th, 2003, 10:01pm
It is my understanding that Brent has been paying the fees to run this site. We should help share the cost and he should be able to make a living at running the site, because it is an outstanding resource. While we post the sweeps, he pays for the url, puts in the manpower to running the site, pays for the hosting service, etc.

That being said, it would be nice for free or reduced cost memberships to be available to those who cannot afford $30 a year. Perhaps on an honor system - we just trust people to say they cannot afford it. Plus, if that person gets a big win and can cover the $30 - they then pay it back.

beverhart
November 4th, 2003, 10:25pm
It is my understanding that Brent has been paying the fees to run this site.

I know that the web site URL and web server space costs money.... I maintain a couple of web sites for other folks...

...he should be able to make a living at running the site, because it is an outstanding resource. While we post the sweeps, he pays for the url, puts in the manpower to running the site, pays for the hosting service, etc.

I guess I look at this a little differently than most... Compare this to people downloading "free" music from the internet... there is a musician that wrote and performed the song that isn't getting paid for their creative work every time someone downloads the "free" music... When the people here post the sweeps and then someone charges a fee for accessing the information then they are making money from the efforts of someone else... While the site and space are paid for by Brent, and I applaude his effort for that, is it really ethical to profit on the "resource" when the resource information is provided by the people that would be charged? How about paying people for providing the sweeps information. Does this make sense to anyone else?

November 4th, 2003, 10:47pm
i realize this site is a partnership between brent and the members but there is obviously someone maintaining this site and removing old sweeps verifying and classifying new and monitoring forum area among other things im sure ive been here for about a year and i appriciate this site and members enough to join sure its free now but without people working on it it could never last and the convienence of all these sweep in one place classified is worth 30 bucks to me easy

poochie
November 4th, 2003, 10:51pm
I will gladly pay for access to this site. I have been sweeping online for years and have been coming to this site for a long time because in my opinion it is the best site around. Although my concern would be would there be fewer listings due to fewer members because not all would want to pay for this service..

beverhart
November 4th, 2003, 11:36pm
Although my concern would be would there be fewer listings due to fewer members because not all would want to pay for this service..

I don't think you would have to worry about fewer sweeps. The people that decide not to join a pay site would be posting them to free sites and the folks with paid memberships here would be able to quickly pick those up and post them...

tianmax
November 7th, 2003, 3:36pm
Hi, I missed where we are suppose to send payment. I have the money this week so would love to send it out. Is a money order okay. Please give address - whom to - and what I am suppose to do after I pay. Thank You. I came in May and won alot, nothing big yet, but my year isn't up yet. So $30 is well worth it, pooh of DH if he thinks not.

allycat
November 13th, 2003, 1:47pm
Please let me know if I have this correct from previous information.

1) Brent is going to post a date when the paid membership drive will start, and we really should wait to pay for our membership until he posts a date?....correct?
2) Paypal is preferred but we can pay by check (which I will have to do because I don't know how to do Paypal).
3) One question - when we pay for our membership, is our membership from that date '03 to that date '04, or is it for the entire 2004 year?

My check is burning a hole in my checkbook, but I just need to know when the right time is to mail it? I'm assuming we include with the payment all our OS member info - user name, email address, etc.

Thanks.....I LOVE IT HERE!!!

Allycat

Boosbear
November 13th, 2003, 2:17pm
I absolutely love this site and would go into severe depression and withdrawal if I could not use it. I gladly sent in my $30.00 and truly appreciate everything Brent and his helpers do. I know it takes long hours to bring this all together. I don't think anybody should complain about it being a paid site. If you don't want to pay, don't use it.

debiwelbon
November 13th, 2003, 2:51pm
I don't have a problem with paying for the use of this site,I love coming here even if I don't do alot in the forums. I also read in one of the posts that Brent will let us know when we can pay for this, how will he let us know? Does anyone know that? Will it be posted on the main page? I do not really want to have to hunt through the forums to get the info.

bearsilu
November 15th, 2003, 11:05pm
hi. ive been a member since june 2002 i think. Do i need to pay something now to stay up to speed here? I cant miss out either so someone let me know what to do!!!

cruzlady
November 19th, 2003, 10:42pm
This really is not my year ..
Unemployed since Oct 20th and not unemployment since my job was seasonal.. and not a win since I won that big autographed paperback book 4 months ago.. That and my bottle opener..

If I have to come up with $30, that means that I wll not have to give up one month
of internet service.. yes, I have to pay $21.95 a month-- they are the only game in town..

I really love coming here, but $30 just is not in my budget ... I hope we can find some
way to keep this a free site..

rojo13864
November 19th, 2003, 10:57pm
cruzlady, as far I know from reading all the forums..You still will be able to use on-line sweepstakes, if you pay for membership or not. They will announce when the paid membership begins..and I'm certain one of the Mods can find the link where I read it!! I'm so sorry your having a rough year..I know a lot of us are..just hang in here and have patience..things will work out..Wishing you Happy Sweeping and much better times!

Heather
November 20th, 2003, 6:26am
It's a long shot, but I believe the easiest way for us to keep membership free and better for everyone, is to WIN the 1 MILLION $$$ Moneytree Contest from Clear Channel. We have just over 1600 Member sign-ups... if we had 1100 more or so, we'd at least be tied with the OT.com tree. But as many member as we have here, we should be able to take them down relatively easy. I hope more sign-up, heck, I signed up like 3 of my family members too. Shh, dont tell anyone! Just kidding! :laugh:

strchld
November 20th, 2003, 8:21pm
My check is burning a hole in my checkbook, but I just need to know when the right time is to mail it? I'm assuming we include with the payment all our OS member info - user name, email address, etc.

Can't wait to become an official "paid member" :)

kontestant2003
November 21st, 2003, 7:21am
Waaaaa!! :cry: I don't want to have to pay for the features I already have. This is a sad situation. To win, you have to pay. :(

velvet49329
November 21st, 2003, 8:32am
Before everyone starts getting all bent out of shape over the whole membership thing,perhaps you should all read the ENTIRE announcement. The site itself will still be free,there will be "extras" that will be for paid members only. There will be "some" sweeps for paid members only,I would think that since paying and non-paying members will be contributing sweeps,there won't be too many not available to everyone. For the most part,what you have now will remain free. There may be a few changes,but more than likely not enough to ruin the site for non-paying members.

Remember,the only things keeping this site running are donations and Brent's own money. A membership fee for those who are willing and able to pay it insures that the site will remain up and running. All of this webspace and servers are not free. Plus,Brent puts in more time and effort than imagineable.

Sign up for the money tree and help the man out. Maybe he'll win enough money to keep it going for a good long while!

Tanasi
November 21st, 2003, 12:16pm
Well I've got to be one of the poorest people on the board, and I plan to come up with the $30. I do hope that when the announcement comes, it is clear and is not buried in the forums somewhere. (The reason I say this is that the forums are so big now, I don't read much of them.) Also I hope there will be a period of time, a deadline, before the board changes to the new system, in which the site remains completely open. (Otherwise, say I come here one day and the site has changed, I might find I could live with just the free portion instead of paying, and that wouldn't be best for Brent.) One other thing is that it wouldn't seem fair to me that some people would get a free membership (just discussion in the thread I know) while I had to pay. While I'm rambling, why hasn't everybody joined the money tree so I can get my $30 to send to Brent, and he can get the chance at a million? :)

Melpomeme7
November 22nd, 2003, 12:24am
I know that Brent would probably never do this but maybe if people knew exactly how much money it cost to keep a website like this up and running..............and how much time Brent spends keeping it running they might not be so skeptical about paying a membership fee (and they might be surprised that it has stayed free this long)

I have used other sweeps sites in the past and honestly it always seemed that just when I got comfortable with one and learned my way around the site it disappeared. Obviously because it costs money to run a website and as they say "nothing is free". I didnt enter sweeps for a very long time because I got tired of spending so much time on the internet looking for them. Then I found this site and was amazed at how well organized it was and how friendly and helpful everyone was. Within two months of joining this site I won an 8 day / 7 night trip to Greece (I have lots of pics if anyone is interested in seeing them) Would I have found that sweep on my own? Maybe but probably not because I wouldnt have taken the time to look. Everything I need is right here in one place and thats convienent and I am willing to pay for that. It would be great if the site could remain completely free but come on..................is it fair for us to continue to expect Brent to pay for everything. I dont think so.

Money is extremely tight for me just like most everyone else. This past couple of years have been very hard financially on me and I understand the not having the money issue. But, I have known for awhile that the site was going to paid memberships so I have been anticipating having to pay. If people just set aside a few dollars each week, in a very short time they would have the $30 saved up.

Pricelessheart
November 22nd, 2003, 10:10am
Where you go I will follow!

Ask what you will and I will do all I can to meet that request!

I love it here! Love It Love It Love It!!! The work that goes into this place is amazing and my donation yearly, monthly whatever is necessary is a small price to pay. I could easily spend this money shopping, or going out to try and relax after a long day with work, kids (and after today hubby); to make this contribution and be in the comfort of my home doing what I love because others work so hard to make it happen - my hat is off to them.. and each time I smile when I win something big or small... when I find a funny post, a touching story, or giggles in general; I take a deep breath and simply think... "I love this hobby".

I don't get to all the forum posts there are just so many! But I do try! When you are ready for "paid membership" or whatever can you make it BOLD and OBVIOUS!! *smiles*

Best wishes to one an all!

:bow: :bow:

kontestant2003
November 22nd, 2003, 11:02pm
True, the person/people that do this website did an excellent job on it. It is by far the best contest website I have come across thus far.

There are some people that continue to run websites for free out of the goodness of their heart. The people that do this website do deserve something in return for their hard work. If money is what they want in return, then they deserve that.

I hope the membership fee is only yearly and not too expensive. You can estimate what the fee would need to be per person to cover all of the website maintenance fees, and with all of the people here, you can bet it shouldn't cost a lot per person. Although, I'm sure a hefty amount will be added to the membership fee for time consumed. Will the volunteers that spend a lot of time on this site get their well deserved chip of money too I wonder?

hbbs55
November 22nd, 2003, 11:18pm
I hope there will be a grace period once the pay membership starts. I will be away for the first two weeks of december, I would hate to come back and find out that all of 'my sweeps' are no longer available. I will pay the membership, but from reading past posts, it says not to pay until the membership begins.

bugielady88
November 23rd, 2003, 2:31pm
Hi,
Will someone fill me in on this now.I have been out of town over a week.I can't read all of the thread.Is $30.00 per year or month.When will it start?Thank you so much for the help.

TabooU
November 23rd, 2003, 9:56pm

Love, Michele. Wow that was a nice gesture.

JarnocanME
November 23rd, 2003, 10:19pm
I like this idea by hsdwyer, so I'm bumping it incase anyone missed it.with the link again.
I love this site too, lots of fun, helpful and straight forward. I'm willing to pay a modest fee, but not thrilled, I'm against gambling , never buy lottery tickets etc, like it to be a hobby.BUT I'd rather have a fee, than tons of ads, pop ups and deceptions etc. Thanks :gvibes:

"It's a long shot, but I believe the easiest way for us to keep membership free and better for everyone, is to WIN the 1 MILLION $$$ Moneytree Contest from Clear Channel. We have just over 1600 Member sign-ups... if we had 1100 more or so, we'd at least be tied with the OT.com tree. But as many member as we have here, we should be able to take them down relatively easy. I hope more sign-up, heck, I signed up like 3 of my family members too. Shh, dont tell anyone! Just kidding! "

http://www.wtue.com/cc-common/rts/mtree/join.html?t=3705&u=9947&h=3fb294312e99f

goldylox
November 24th, 2003, 12:25am
I'm on a fixed income and money is always tight, but when it comes time to pay for membership I'll be one of the first in line. As it is now, BRENT pays for my use of this site. He pays for the server, he pays for the upgrades and he pays in unmeasurable man hours. I don't look at it as paying to enter sweeps, just as paying my fair share. The same as I do in the real world.

I would also guess that the money that it takes him to run this site hasn't done much for his wallet either.

Just my :twocents:

deborah62
November 24th, 2003, 12:51am
I love this site,I didnt realize you could make donations,its something I am willing to do because I come here almost everyday,its become a habit just like brushing my teeth,the people here are so kind and helpful and you have the best sweep site online and I do not want to lose any of the features,I am also on a budget so I hope you will take 2 payments of 15$ and that you will take a check,If you can let me know I would pay this second.

tommy
November 26th, 2003, 1:49pm
i figured i might as well say something about paid membership

os is without a doubt in my mind the best sweepstakes/contests/giveaways/ etc site on the internet and without mr. brent keeping this site up we would have to do a lot more searching for sweeps etc

so its my opinion that most members here can afford a paid membership and even if you can't try sending our fearless leader and really a nice guy brent a few bucks for allowing all of us to partipate in this great site

i really have no idea what the costs are for running a site but even if everybody just sent $ 10 to offset his costs i am sure it would be highly appreciated

kurtgoe
November 26th, 2003, 2:20pm
I have paypal, but rarely use it and have very little money in it. If we could pay by check it would help. Some of us contesters (like me) are pretty broke most of the time. But I know you must put tons and tons of work into this site. And I hate those sites with the endless ads. And except when you win a contest most things in life are not for free. I will have to start saving up for my $30.

Thanks.

Kurt G.

topgun
November 26th, 2003, 2:52pm
It would be interesting to know what the monthly cost is for OLS to exist. Certainly, Brent et.al. shouldn't have to pony up all the costs for us users to benefit. But if OLS folks are going to be asked to pay, they have a right to know the actual monthly costs.

That said, requiring a paid membership will cost OLS some members who either can't pay or won't pay. And anyone who has followed the internet over the past 5-6 years knows that the track record for websites existence after transitioning from free to pay is not good.

The transition to only paid membership for access to the site puts me in a difficult spot. This site and Yahoo account for 90% of my internet use, so to say I value OLS would be an understatement. And clearly Brent et.al. shouldn't shoulder all the costs. But I'm already trying to find ways to cut my overstretched budget before the debt police take the shirt off my back.

I guess I'll just enjoy OLS while I can and see how things pan out once the OLS bill comes due.

Hope everyone has a very Happy Thanksgiving,

Eric

Lupinea
November 26th, 2003, 3:40pm
I have been wanting to send a donation but I don't know where to send it. And I wanted to put my 2 cents in, please let us pay our money by check, I dont want to have to be involved with PayPal. Please give me the address, I have appreciated this site so much, its been a lot cheaper than anti-depressants and a lot more fun.

casperokc
November 27th, 2003, 12:48am
Ok I just finished reading all the posts in here now it is my time to chime in. I am new here alot of you prolly havent met me yet (hello to those I havent met yet)but after reading all the posts it amazes me how some people get defensive without reading everything. Yes there will be a members area but 99% of what we have access to now we will when it goes pay.Also the man has in my honest opnion put together one tremendous site.Yes we contribute the sweeps but without him you have nothing to contribute to. So yes $30.00 is not much for a years worth of sweeping.I have seen other pay sweep sites who want half that a month! I am going to pay my $30.00 with a smile. I am not one of the winners here as of yet but I can promise you without this site I wouldnt have entered sweeps at all. Now it is one thing I do everyday I am a addict and I thank brent and all the other moderators who help him from the bottom of my heart. Even if I dont win I will continue to pay my $30.00 a year and continue to play for the thrill of playing the chance of a big win.I was reading earlier someone saying they couldnt afford it but looked them up and they had a couple of big wins did you think to give some of that back to brent? You act as if he does nothing. And im sorry if I am venting here but I was upset to see how some people act when faced with money. Yes times are tough I should know I have been unemployed for over 3 months and I have 2 small kids at home. But comming here takes that pressure away. Yes there are other free sites been there half have out of date contests others have rude vulgar people on them so I dont wish to go back.Sorry for the lonb vent but after reading all 15 pages you get a little steamed at some people but I know they think of it as more then it really is.$30.00 a year is a shot in the bucket yes some cant afford it right now(im one of them) but he gave us warning to look for it so that means start savbing I have put a jar aside that I will put money into till I reach $30.00. Also brent Nice to meet you and if I win big ill make sure to thank you for your time and dedication. I LOVE THIS SITE AND YOU PEOPLE ARE THE BEST from brent all the way down to the new guy who has only been here for 10 seconds thanks and hope to talk to you all soon!

kurtgoe
November 27th, 2003, 1:02am
I singed up for the money tree. I didn't really know what it was until I read a post about it here. I sent out a couple of referrals. Hopefully they will sign up.

Kurt G.

tisha
November 27th, 2003, 6:16am
I am also new here and signed up for the money tree to help the cause but I am more than willing to pay a reasonable fee when the time comes. Sure we can spend hours tracking and looking for sweeps to join on our own for free but it would be so time consuming and I am sure there would be alot less wins that way. This site provides a great service for people who enjoy sweeps and service should be paid for.
I really think this site is fantastic and Brent has done a wonderful job of making a great community here.

Brent when you are ready let us know and I will send my payment in. I just ask that you put the request where it is easy to see so I dont miss out LOL

Tisha

debiwelbon
November 28th, 2003, 12:14pm
What is this about the money tree and how do I get to it? Explanations if you please!! :cool2:

debswen5
November 29th, 2003, 10:29pm
http://www.wtue.com/cc-common/rts/mtree/join.html?t=3705&u=9947&h=3fb294312e99f
This is the link to the money tree..more OLS people need to sign up!!!!!!!!!!!!