PDA

View Full Version : Tell Yoplait to put a lid on rBGH.

secular
October 1st, 2008, 12:47pm
Yoplait markets its yogurt as being healthy for women, but what's under the lid is a different story.

Yoplait yogurt is made with milk from cows that have been injected with a synthetic hormone called recombinant bovine growth hormone (called rBGH or rBST). There are numerous health concerns surrounding rBGH, and breast cancer is one of them.

rBGH is unsafe and unnecessary. Mega-corporations like Wal-Mart and Starbucks are already making their dairy products rBGH-free. If these companies can do it, Yoplait can too.

This October, ask the company to do the right thing for women's lives: tell Yoplait to put a lid on rBGH.

http://www.thinkbeforeyoupink.org/Pages/TakeAction.html

bamjammin
October 1st, 2008, 12:52pm
Thanks for the link, I stopped eating Yoplait a while back mostly because they have gelatin in a lot of their products. The only yogurt I eat now is Stonyfield.

secular
October 10th, 2008, 3:40pm
Thank you for contacting General Mills concerning BST.
BST (bovine somatotropin) is a hormone naturally found in cows. The synthetic version of this hormone (not to be confused with a steroid hormone) has been subjected to extensive testing.
The Food & Drug Administration, American Medical Association, National Institutes of Health, the U.S. Department of Agriculture along with a number of other science-based organizations have concluded that there are no food safety issues in conjunction with milk produced by BST-supplemented cows.
Because BST is naturally found in all cows′ milk, there is no scientific way to test the milk to determine if the BST present is from synthetic sources or natural sources. The amount of BST present in milk will not be greater from a synthetic source than it would be occurring naturally.
For more information about Bovine Somatotropin (BST) or Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH) you may wish to visit the United States Department of Agriculture′s website at www.usda.gov. We hope you will continue to enjoy our products.

Sincerely,General Mills Consumer Services

Funny last line. I don't enjoy your products.

RockysJewel
October 10th, 2008, 4:44pm
I have stopped purchasing Yoplait a couple years ago due to the rBGH that is in it. I have recently convinced my aging parents to do likewise even tho it has been their favorite.
I love the flavors and texture of Yoplait but will not resume purchasing until you step-up and sell products that are not detrimental to people. Also my grandchild are not being served the kids yogurts either.
I know we are only a few people but multiply that by many families and eventually you may deem it worth the change.

secular
October 10th, 2008, 8:08pm
I have stopped purchasing Yoplait a couple years ago due to the rBGH that is in it. I have recently convinced my aging parents to do likewise even tho it has been their favorite.
I love the flavors and texture of Yoplait but will not resume purchasing until you step-up and sell products that are not detrimental to people. Also my grandchild are not being served the kids yogurts either.
I know we are only a few people but multiply that by many families and eventually you may deem it worth the change.

Wonderful! :highfive:

abymom
October 12th, 2008, 3:22pm
good to know as my child occasionally has the gogurts by yoplait...
No more...
we all eat either Dannon or stonyfield...

secular
October 14th, 2008, 6:19pm
good to know as my child occasionally has the gogurts by yoplait...
No more...
we all eat either Dannon or stonyfield...

It appears Dannon uses rBST.

October 14, 2008

Dear Mrs. Dehart,

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding bovine somatotropin, commonly known as BST, a natural protein hormone produced by the pituitary gland of all cows.

According to the FDA, there is no detectable difference in the protein, milk solids, fat content or level of BST in milk from cows receiving rBST when compared to milk from non-supplemented cows. In fact, since rBST is nearly identical to the naturally occurring form, the FDA does not require identification on food labels.

The decision to supplement cows with rBST for milk production is made by dairy farmers. We agree that using new production technologies can help our food production system as long as the FDA has approved these new technologies as safe.

At Dannon, our commitment to you and your family is to offer nutritious and delicious yogurt varieties that deliver the trusted wholesome goodness of Dannon.

I hope we have answered your questions. If you would like additional information, please contact the FDA directly, since they are the governing body responsible for rBST's approval.

FDA Outreach and Information Center
HFS-555

TinyMoMo
October 15th, 2008, 4:20pm
ok--does your siggy say you are in a MILK contest????????????????????

HamsterLady
October 15th, 2008, 9:51pm
I'll eat it anyways. I'm not going to spend my life eating food I hate just because it is "organic" or whatever.

secular
October 16th, 2008, 2:34am
ok--does your siggy say you are in a MILK contest????????????????????

Yes, not all milk has rBGH. I never claimed to be a vegan.