PDA

View Full Version : My car has been taken over by bees

Mendacious Moose
August 6th, 2008, 5:02am
I have 6 bee's nest in my car! How can I get rid of them?? I drive my car about once a week, so my car has become their home. I have a nest in my gas tank door area, inside both doors, under my hood, and inside both rearview mirrors. The one day my car is moved, as soon as I arrive back, I see the bees swarming my car...entering their ''home''. I'm afraid they will build a nest inside. I want them gone!!

Any help would be appreciated.

prklug
August 6th, 2008, 6:07am
I have no idea unless you call a local beekeeper or exterminator. I would rather you call the beekeepers because I heard that bees are becoming more scarce so we should try to preserve them.

ironbutterfly
August 6th, 2008, 8:17am
Damn the poster above is right, I would normally say blast them with poison but now I don't know what to do:dontknow: I imagine they will keep coming back. Good luck, sound like a horror movie in the making.

:bee::bee::bee::bee:

eileenfar
August 6th, 2008, 8:24am
or wasps? or hornets? or yellowjackets? or ??

HONEYbees are endangered. Those pests above are not. Can you be more specific?

I'd get the RealKill unless it was a new "hive" for producing honey. THEN I'd be looking for a beekeeper to see if they'd take them off my hands.

hawkshoe
August 6th, 2008, 8:42am
I would wait until evening when they are sure to be back in their hives and then I would spray the heck out of them. In the morning, I would check the nests and remove them (assuming the bees are dead).

duknuk
August 6th, 2008, 9:24am
Doesn't sound like honeybees to me ... not with 6 nests;
You would have to have 6 queens for that.

Probably wasps - it's the season for wasp nest building.
(yellow jackets & hornets are also wasps)

SPRAY THEM! They are dangerous!

GracieCat
August 6th, 2008, 9:30am
Yes, wait until late evening and then spray the nests. That way you'll kill the most bees.

jcns
August 6th, 2008, 9:38am
spray spray spray....the sprays that are out now have the 20 or 25 foot spray...so you'll be able to stand at least 10 feet or more away when you're spraying.

daydreamer2
August 6th, 2008, 9:58am
Wait until night time when they are asleep and spray. I mowed over a nest in the ground last year and was attacked by 7 yellow jackets. I had to pry them off of my body. What a horrible experience. Good luck!

Julianne530
August 6th, 2008, 10:20am
I concur with most of the posters. I had wasps building a nest "inside" the backside of my driver's door mirror. I could not figure out how to get rid of it, because most of the poisons will damage paint on vehicles I was told. Anyhow when I moved from Texas to California...the wasps went missing finally. Check BEFORE you spray your vehicle that whatever poison you are using is safe for your paint and next to your gas tank, etc.

We had bees move into our trees and attic one time. We did call a local beekeeper and he came out and rounded up the bees and took them away.

I hope whatever the issue, you get rid of it soon. Blessings to you!

Sparkler1228
August 6th, 2008, 10:25am
How scary....I suggest just buying a new car!! I hate bees!

jcns
August 6th, 2008, 10:27am
oh - you could also "bomb" the inside.....maybe. get them from the inside as you spray the outside. I don't know if that would work, but I suspect from your post that these fellas are not something you want to mess around with . Give them a solid punch.

HelenR
August 6th, 2008, 10:44am
Sounds more like wasps to me too. You can get rid of them by using a a can of spray especially for wasps and hornets that you can spray from a distance.
Is this what they look like? The wasps can be all black or brown in color too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_wasp

bella
August 6th, 2008, 10:49am
It's that time of year for wasps and I just had to disable a nest over my backdoor. I just used Lysol spray cleaner.The lemon scented one. It's got a great spray on it and if you douche the wasp good enough it usually kills it or the nest. You need to do something soon because those nests are going to hatch. Spray and run like hell!

jellosheriff
August 6th, 2008, 10:57am
It does sound like wasps. Do it early in the morning before they're active.
For your rear view mirrors, you can cover them with bread bags and then spray the wasp spray inside the bag and seal it up before they fly out.
Be careful.
Afterbite or vinegar and cottonballs is good to have on hand in case you get stung.

jpett
August 6th, 2008, 11:23am
Are they gone yet? Keep us posted.

grndbaygal
August 6th, 2008, 11:31am
call a beekeeper for honey bees im sure with them being endangered they would get them for free. if not blast them with bee killer.

lenfest
August 6th, 2008, 11:48am
Yes, first call a beekee[er to make sure. we need all the honey bees out there

tiffnat
August 6th, 2008, 11:49am
I'd be scared that I would be attacked or it wouldn't work-I'd call an exterminator and let him do it.

chestnutfall
August 6th, 2008, 12:03pm
They sound like paper wasps. The paper wasps always make their brown chambered combed
hives under our house eaves. DH sprays them down.(with a blast from the water hose)
Last year I reached into my clothes pin bag and the scary wasps had taken up residence. Ick.

Here are some ideas.

What I would do is I would drive my car to a friends home during the day when
the bees are out of the nests. I would open the gas tank door and proceed with
a long big stick and knock the hives away. I would try to find where they enter
the doors and see (as long as they aren't there) and see what you could poke in
there to destory the hive. If I didn't have power mirror then I would spray the area
with a garden hose. Maybe go thru a carwash.

As for entry point at the gas door how about once there gone open the door and on
the inside around the periminator(spelling) put duct tape facing the inside of the door and overlapping the side and shut the door and then with a flashlight look to see if there is
a seal. If the bees try to enter they'll get stuck on the tape which isn't noticable until
they get between the small area at the edge of the door where it meets the car frame.

Then I would get something a piece of cloth or maybe caulk? or maybe duct tape and
close off the entrance points on the car door?

I will say that one 2 by 2 chambered combed hive might look empty but isn't always!
So please be careful.

Good luck to you.

sweepnut
August 6th, 2008, 12:03pm
OMG! That is too scary for me! 6 is alot of nests. We tend to get them in the wooden jungle gym and under our decking. I spray the nest even during the day, seems to work, then I knock it down with a stick and leave it till the next day, my neighbor throws them in a small fire sometimes.

The wasps get more aggressive as the summer goes on. I do not like bees at all.

jennyblue
August 6th, 2008, 12:16pm
How about driving through a car wash?

MonCherie
August 6th, 2008, 12:51pm
Yes, wait until late evening and then spray the nests. That way you'll kill the most bees.

My guy was an exterminator, he said no way are they bees- they wouldn't have 6 nests, it would be one HUGE one, with one queen.
For other invasions, wait until nightfall, then blast them- and he said you have to make sure to blast the nest- inside if possible, otherwise the outer ones will die and not go into the nest with the poision.
I hope that helps some.
Oh and he said to get a spray that goes 50 ft or more, so they won't get ya.

HelenR
August 6th, 2008, 1:12pm
I posted earlier that they probably were wasps, but I just remembered we found a bunch of dirt dauber or mud dauber nests in a car we had sitting under the carport. They somehow got in the small space between the door and the car and built nests. There were several nests elsewhere on the car. Google mud dauber or dirt dauber and you will see examples of these nests which are actually made of mud or dirt.

EYESONLYFORDAVE
August 6th, 2008, 1:37pm
wait until nighttime (that's when the bees go back to their nest and sleep) find all the bees nest and spray them with the bee spray(soak the nest pretty good) next day all the bees in the nest will be dead. You will have to remove all the nests. We had to do it the other day because I am allergic to them. Good luck~~

noni1959
August 6th, 2008, 1:48pm
Those wasp traps we got from bzzagent work wonders. They trap wasp and yellow jackets. I even caught mud dopplers in it. But not bees. If they are bees, call a bee keeper but if they are the other, try hanging a few traps next to your car. Then at night remove the nests after spraying. You can buy the traps at most stores.
But they are right, bees don't make several nests. Wasps and yellow jackets do.

pambanter
August 6th, 2008, 2:12pm
Just spray them with a hose. The nests will dissolve and they will go away.

Mendacious Moose
August 6th, 2008, 2:58pm
Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your advice. I will read through them and then decide what to do.

:thumbs:

Mendacious Moose
August 6th, 2008, 2:59pm
Sounds more like wasps to me too. You can get rid of them by using a a can of spray especially for wasps and hornets that you can spray from a distance.
Is this what they look like? The wasps can be all black or brown in color too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_wasp

The photo on the website you attached looks very similar.

I didn't know the difference. I saw the little honeycombs and assumed bees. :)

pookiekake
August 6th, 2008, 3:49pm
Just be careful,and dont get stung.