PDA

View Full Version : Top Five Worst Dollar Store Buys

sonyarn97
July 19th, 2008, 4:53pm
I am a Dollar Store shopper and I found these interesting facts on AOL news:

http://money.aol.com/top5/general/worst-dollar-store-buys-2

The worst report was on the toothpaste, and you can read the other 4 reports on the link above. :shocked2:

While some personal-care products, like shampoo, can be excellent dollar-store buys, toothpaste isn't one of them. In June 2007, the Food and Drug Administration warned consumers that many imported toothpastes typically found at dollar stores and other discount outlets contained the poisonous chemical diethylene glycol (DEG) -- most commonly used as a thickener in antifreeze. To date, the agency has identified more than 40 hazardous brands, including several counterfeit tubes that look like Colgate.

Repeated brushing with a DEG-laced toothpaste can have serious health consequences, says Rita Chappelle, a spokeswoman for the FDA. "It causes liver and kidney damage and other gastrointestinal problems," she says. Although import restrictions and recalls were issued to halt the distribution and sale of the tainted toothpaste, consumers still need to remain vigilant. "There could still be some products on shelves," warns Chappelle. Because it can be tough to tell the problem tubes from the real deal (it's not as if diethylene glycol is listed as an ingredient), the safest course is to fork over a little more cash for a tube at your local supermarket or drugstore, where there's more quality control.

tmy56
July 19th, 2008, 8:22pm
Once I was with my 6 year old niece in the Dollar Store, and she asked me,
"What's d-o-u-c-h-e ?"

I told her to first, ask her mother, and second, never buy it in the dollar store.

TragickMagick
July 19th, 2008, 8:29pm
"What's d-o-u-c-h-e ?"

I told her to first, ask her mother, and second, never buy it in the dollar store.

Oh my gosh, I just about died laughing

:rofl2:

crackercrumb
July 19th, 2008, 10:53pm
"What's d-o-u-c-h-e ?"

lol.

crackercrumb
July 19th, 2008, 10:58pm
They talk about buying batteries from dollarstores. They sell Panasonic brand at a lot of dollarstores around here, but Panasonic batteries are not bad.

We just had a toothbrush recall here or 'bootleg Oral B' toothbrushes.
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/07/18/oralb-recall.html?ref=rss

It amazes me what people buy at dollarstores. I don't know why anyone would buy some of the stuff they have there. I see people buying $150 worth of $1 items at Dollarama all the time & I always wonder how much crap their house is filled with.

loriwilliams
July 20th, 2008, 11:51am
I used to think food was a fantastic buy at my dollar store...until I opened a rice mix and saw a bunch of cute little bugs! Now I buy cleansers, and that's about it.

Meadow
July 20th, 2008, 3:52pm
I won't buy anything at a dollar store - I just don't trust them at all! :goofy3:

fromtheheart66
July 20th, 2008, 4:44pm
OK They have Colgate toothpaste at the Dollar Tree. Thats ok to buy right? I woulnt buy some off the wall brand there because who knows where its made.

aila
July 20th, 2008, 9:44pm
OK They have Colgate toothpaste at the Dollar Tree. Thats ok to buy right? I woulnt buy some off the wall brand there because who knows where its made.

check to see where it's made. just because it says colgate does not mean it's from the u.s.a.

Defenderofthefaith
July 21st, 2008, 12:16am
Generally I am careful what I buy from the Dollar Tree--thank you for posting this link!

suziebee20
July 24th, 2008, 3:06am
I don't buy much at dollar stores. I'm too cheap to pay $1 for toothpaste or shampoo when CVS usually pays me to buy it. I know people who shop there to make gifts and I feel emberessed for them because most of the stuff they get you can tell is really cheap quality and not worth $1. No offense, I know some stores have really nice, decent items. I'm talking about the supercheap stuff that's obvious it isn't going to last.

We do buy cheap $1 store batteries sometimes. I know they don't last long, but I like to put them in the little handheld baby toys that don't get frequent use. They almost always outlast the fun factor of the toy so I'm not donating almost new Energizers when I get rid of it.