PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE to naked neighbor (post 25)

mamafairal
July 14th, 2008, 9:19pm
i have this neighbor across the street that everyone just calls "loonytunes". I guess she has lived there for 5-6 yrs and calls herself the neighborhood watch lady...yeah ok.

Well her elevator doesnt go all the way up if ya know what i mean and this morning she was out behind her house sitting down by the dumpsters saying the police are trying to kill her and she was BUTTASS NAKED!!
And she is not a petite woman.

I called 911 and they sent someone out but by the time they got here she had gone iside her house already. She refused to answer the door to them and spoke to them thru her window...saying again the police are trying to kill her.
Because she was inside her apt and not a threat outside there was really nothing they could do.

I hope she gets help as i have heard some wild stories about this woman.

I guess she held herseslf and her child hostage yrs ago saying she was gonna kill them and lost custody of the kid.Her 3rd hubby dressed in black and stood on the railroad tracks behind us till a train came along...dead on impact. She remarried 3 months ago but he has already left her and filed for divorce....this isnt the first time she has been naked around here either.

Why do i end up with the unstable neighbors? :(

jamiechic
July 14th, 2008, 9:22pm
Eek, sounds like she's had a rough life . . . or chose on. Hope she gets help soon.

jjampm
July 14th, 2008, 9:51pm
Odd. The police can commit her for 72 (I think) hours if they think she may be a danger to herself or others. I wonder why they haven't done that?

I guess I'd just keep calling the cops when there's something weird and mention you're concerned for her/your safety.

And please tell me that you didn't imply that if she had a hot bod that behavior would be okay :frown7:

ky2here
July 14th, 2008, 10:02pm
Sounds delusional. Probably needs someone to understand her mental state and remind her to take her anti-psychotic medication. I'm not saying that should be you, of course. It would nice if a family member or close friend would do some DOT (directly observed therapy) and watch her take her meds each day.

Many schizophrenics can function quite well if they're properly medicated and supported. I wonder if she should live alone.

FreakDuJour
July 14th, 2008, 10:14pm
I feel sorry for her :frown7:

eyzofblu63
July 14th, 2008, 10:17pm
We had a neighbor like that. He would walk the streets naked. He was picked up more times than I can count. Luckily it was usually after dark and no kiddies were ever around to see. It was eventually found out that he had Alzheimers and he ended up at the nursing home/Rehab facility I worked at. It was sad really, he was only 52 at the time. HE was a problem from day one. He refused to strip down for anyone for showers, threw things at everyone, hit everyone...everyone but me. He became my "private" patient. He would be waiting for me in the front doorway every morning at 7 a.m. sharp with his towel, shampoo, soap, shaving kit and bathrobe waiting for his shower. I even had to go in on my days off just to get him to shower. But I never minded, I loved the crazy old coot :laugh:

sissy76
July 14th, 2008, 10:37pm
Poor woman!:frown7:

infinitybean
July 14th, 2008, 10:41pm
My heart goes out to her.

ginnylee38
July 14th, 2008, 10:42pm
My daughter's uncle did this regularly. These people definitly have a problem. I don't know what it is, but he had done it for years.

tupik3702
July 14th, 2008, 10:43pm
Keep trying to have her committed as it may save her life and/or someone else. Good Luck to you and yorus.

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

baroness-1
July 14th, 2008, 10:51pm
I knew someone like that.

He was a paranoid Schizophrenic. When he took his medication he was fine.
But when he didnt, he thought people after him, he told stories about being abducted by aliens. He said the voices in his head told him he was no good and to kill himself.

The reason he didnt take his medication is because it made him feel bad, the side effects are awful.

He eventually took his own life.

Really heartbreaking.

meeeee
July 14th, 2008, 11:03pm

you magnetic personality

mamafairal
July 15th, 2008, 12:08am
you magnetic personality

funny :laugh:

IrishRose23
July 15th, 2008, 12:09am
Wow... i'm so sorry you have a neighbor like this :hugs:. I hope she gets help soon. That poor woman. I'd say move, but it'd be your luck that you'd have a neighbor that catapults pumpkins from his roof pretending he's from the FBI.

rewcatherine
July 15th, 2008, 12:20am
I used to have some real dooseys for neighbors a few years ago but at least they kept some clothes on:laugh:

seriously I hope she gets the help she needs

RockysJewel
July 15th, 2008, 12:49am
so sad! I was people watching today as I waited for hubbyt o come out from his DR appt and jsut wanted to hug them all. They had such sad and almost hopeless looks on their faces. So much pain in this world. I hope she an get the felp she needs and doesn't hurt herself nor her child !

Julieb
July 15th, 2008, 1:03am
Odd. The police can commit her for 72 (I think) hours if they think she may be a danger to herself or others. I wonder why they haven't done that?

I guess I'd just keep calling the cops when there's something weird and mention you're concerned for her/your safety.

And please tell me that you didn't imply that if she had a hot bod that behavior would be okay :frown7:

In MO we have 96-hour holds. The police should have exercised this option.

souldolphindream
July 15th, 2008, 1:10am
They police should have took her to the hospital to see if she could have been put on a hold. It sounds like she does not take medication on a regular basis and I sounds like she should. I will pray for you and for her.

FreakDuJour
July 15th, 2008, 1:17am
Wow... i'm so sorry you have a neighbor like this :hugs:. I hope she gets help soon. That poor woman. I'd say move, but it'd be your luck that you'd have a neighbor that catapults pumpkins from his roof pretending he's from the FBI.

Have you been spying on me???

bonosun73
July 15th, 2008, 1:21am
Have you been spying on me???

Shhh!! We're supposed to be undercover :dizzy:

EllaBarns
July 15th, 2008, 4:27am
The sad thing is, this could be something as simple as a cry for attention that was never answered and carried over into adulthood.

gemini lion
July 15th, 2008, 5:46am
Sounds delusional. Probably needs someone to understand her mental state and remind her to take her anti-psychotic medication. I'm not saying that should be you, of course. It would nice if a family member or close friend would do some DOT (directly observed therapy) and watch her take her meds each day.

Many schizophrenics can function quite well if they're properly medicated and supported. I wonder if she should live alone.

I thought the same thing. She is just a sick person who needs supervision it sounds like to me. My Aunt is a paranoid schizophrenic and before modern psychotropic medication she went through hell, as did the family.

tifftaff81
July 15th, 2008, 7:01am
Keep safe, if the odd behavior continues and she appears to be a danger to herself and others, keep calling the cops. Sounds like she needs professional help. If she is a danger she should be committed. Good luck.

BApanther
July 15th, 2008, 8:31am
We had a neighbor like that. He would walk the streets naked. He was picked up more times than I can count. Luckily it was usually after dark and no kiddies were ever around to see. It was eventually found out that he had Alzheimers and he ended up at the nursing home/Rehab facility I worked at. It was sad really, he was only 52 at the time. HE was a problem from day one. He refused to strip down for anyone for showers, threw things at everyone, hit everyone...everyone but me. He became my "private" patient. He would be waiting for me in the front doorway every morning at 7 a.m. sharp with his towel, shampoo, soap, shaving kit and bathrobe waiting for his shower. I even had to go in on my days off just to get him to shower. But I never minded, I loved the crazy old coot :laugh:

Eyzofblu63 you are a special lady to care for someone so much that is nothing to you. I care for my father in law who is basically the same...he had an insulin overdose and was in a coma for a couple of months, now he thinks his mom and brothers are alive at times. It makes me sad to have to tell him everyone he calls for is dead. And I have found him outside NUDE, I thought I would die if my neighbors had saw him. I know he acts crazy, and I really think he knows at times, but he is still a human, and has feelings just like everyone else. Thank you for being a caring person, we need more people like you in this in the world.:loveu::loveu:

mamafairal
July 15th, 2008, 11:56pm
http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/showthread.php?t=708490

Well yesterday kinda put us all on alert for today.

No nakedness but alot of craziness...she wandered across the street and was sitting on my patio...i aksed her to leave both times i caught her out there.
Then tonight she is sitting at my nieghbors patio set saying she is waiting for her kids....now mind you i said her child was taken from her over a yr ago.

My next door neighbor comes out and shoos her away. She goes back across to her side of the street and starts crying she cant find her kids....i mean screaming it loudly...THEN>>>>she points directly at me screaming that im trying to kill her....OMG!

I called 911 again and they came out and finally called an ambulance this time and took her away to get help. I talked with her landlord tonight and he says this is an ongoing thing with her when she goes off her meds...then gets back on them...then off again...a cycle.

I just kept thanking the ofcr who called the ambulance and said it should of been done yesterday when they responded.

but for now she is hopefully safe in a psyhc ward somewhere.

EllaBarns
July 15th, 2008, 11:58pm
How awful - she must be going through heck inside her head :nono:.

I am glad she was taken away and somewhere safe where she can't hurt herself or someone else.

The good side: At least you got yourself some entertainment :dance:.

rocksea_lady
July 16th, 2008, 12:08am
I really hope she gets the help she desperately needs! She has had a very sad life and I will pray that she gets the help she needs.

Babygirl2
July 16th, 2008, 12:17am
Sounds like my ex brother in law he was paranoid, schizophrenia and heaven only knows what else.

It is sad the world they live in...inside their minds. He was always thinking the police or someone was after him.

So sad to think she had a child taken away but it must have been for the best.

deborah62
July 16th, 2008, 12:18am
I am so sad for her,at least now she will get some help.

HamsterLady
July 16th, 2008, 12:52am
I hope she gets the help she needs, she sounds very wounded mentally.

sparkleygem
July 16th, 2008, 6:23am
Sounds like she's mentally ill, and/or on drugs.

When I was 13, this alcoholic crackhead lived right across from us, and her kids went to visit her mom one day, and she started yelling at me, accusing me of having her kids, and asking me where they were. She had some mental illness as well. The husband abused her and was also an alcoholic/crackhead/mentally ill, and the poor kids. :nono: The cops were always at their apartment.

Luckily they moved away after a while. They said they weremoving because there were too many cops always coming around their apartment. Well duh. Good luck getting away from them.

Maybe your neighbor will get some help or move away.

lifesfun
July 16th, 2008, 6:39am
I hope she gets the help she needs. I've met people like that before in public. That reminds me of when I use to work as a nurse's aide in a county run home and one time one patient came after me. I had just asked if I could trim her fingernails and she went totally bizerk on me, grabbed the nail trimmers, they were the scissor kind, out of my hand and started chasing me down the hall with them. I ran and hid in one of the rooms but she found me by looking in a mirror and seeing my reflection, so I had to climb over a bed that had the metal railings up to get away from her. She was trying to corner me. It took about 4 nurse's aides to hold her back. She ended up being taken to the state hospital but I really think she wanted to do me some harm. Maybe I reminded her of someone that did something bad to her in her past. :dontknow:

gemini lion
July 16th, 2008, 7:39am
It's very common for people with severe mental illness to stop taking thier meds. They start to feel better and believe they don't need them.

I am glad she is in a safe place and hopefully she can recover enough to come home.

ironbutterfly
July 16th, 2008, 8:14am
It's very common for people with severe mental illness to stop taking thier meds. They start to feel better and believe they don't need them.

I am glad she is in a safe place and hopefully she can recover enough to come home.

Yup, viscious cycle, we have a few in my family:worry:

FreakDuJour
July 16th, 2008, 8:58am
I don't understand why everyone kept shooing her away :(

My heart goes out to her- hopefully she will find help now and someone compassionate enough to see through her illness to try and get her through with kindness and maybe friendship.

ginnylee38
July 16th, 2008, 9:29am
I think you did the right thing, because some times if someone is off their meds. they can be dangerous to themselves, and the people around them. I hope she gets the help she needs. Sad thing is she really doesn't even realize she's acting this way. This is all to real for her and it must be very scary.

meeeee
July 16th, 2008, 9:51am
Lucky the cops called the ambulance she will get the help she needs

bjdotson
July 16th, 2008, 10:05am

My heart goes out to her- hopefully she will find help now and someone compassionate enough to see through her illness to try and get her through with kindness and maybe friendship.

I have a child to worry about. I'm all for being compassionate, but The safety of my child comes first. Getting her professional help is probably the most compassionate thing that could have been done.

Globug_47
July 16th, 2008, 11:27am
Life is never boring for you, is it? :rofl3:

mamafairal
July 16th, 2008, 1:23pm
Life is never boring for you, is it? :rofl3:

Nope i always end up in looney neighborhoods huh?

Everyone kept shooing her away because nobody wanted her ending up naked in their yard...there are lots of kids around here. After being on my next door neighbors patio she walked behind our house and we were worried she was gonna undress.

But once she started saying "I" was trying to kill her that was all i needed to call the boys in blue and her red,white,blue chariot(ambulance).

As they walked her out to the ambulance they kept telling her "ok lets go for a ride and see if we can find your kids" I think thats the only way they got her to go with them.

Hopefully they're holding her for an eval.

Julieb
July 16th, 2008, 1:27pm
Looks like you might at least get a 4-day break.

pambanter
July 16th, 2008, 1:49pm

Freak: I am sure that most of us have compassion but the fact of the matter is that we are ALL dealing with problems of our own.

That is the HALLMARK of a civilized society, when you can expect, no DEMAND, that naked crazy people do not sit on your patio.

The people that shooed her away were doing what they thought was best for THEIR property/family/peaceful enjoyment. What else could they do? After all, they called the authorities and watched as they did nothing.

You cannot blame people for being inadequate to the task. This entire society is inadequate to the task of taking care of its mentally ill.

I tell my therapist that I am THIS FAR from living out of a shopping cart. I am on SSDI, housing, a tiny bit of foodstamps, and still my mental health care is not fully paid for. I am on SOCIAL SECURITY for MENTAL ILLNESS and yet they will not pay for the treatments I really need. I am just sick enough to be miserable and just well enough NOT to be living out of a shopping cart. I have to be tenacious in finding treatment. I have to wrestle with all kinds of agencies. 6 or 12 visits during crisis times is not sustaining.

Anyway. TMI again.

Miss Krystal
July 16th, 2008, 2:48pm
I guess she held herseslf and her child hostage yrs ago saying she was gonna kill them and lost custody of the kid

You do not know that for sure because you were not there, you listened to neighborhood gossip.

And, persons with schizophrenia do not harm other people. That is where society is mislead and uneducated. They overly use the word schizophrenia instead of educating themselves to exactly what the illness is. There are many different types of mental illnesses. It is terrible that they are labeled. These people have a name, just like you and I do. It's not those people, them people, that loonie person, (highly offensive) as schizophrenics do have feelings same as you as I do, and they hear what you are saying. If ALL people were more educated to the various types of mental illnesses, instead of sweeping it under the rug, they would be much better off. This poor woman was most likely off her meds. She was paranoid. That does not mean she has schizophrenia, she could be bipolar too, or she could be on drugs! I suggest to many to read some informative books from the library and get educated. A short but very informative bood is "Schizophrenia Losing Touch with Reality" It is short and to the point an encyclopedia of psychological disorders, and very easy reading. I would hope that in learning, people in society would have more compassion. Persons with mental disabilities are human too. They do understand, and they go through HELL. Not just because it is out of their control, but the meds can have serious side affects also. It's not like cancer where a doctor just knows which meds to give a person. Each persons body reacts differently to meds and so it is hard and dangerous to treat. I wouldn't wish the hurt that goes on in their mind on any of your family members because it is exactly what I am stating..."HELL". Please stop labeling every person that does not seem quite normal (to you) as having schizophrenia. You are doing them harm by your ignorance.

A note to all moms and dads. Schizophrenia does not necessarily come from a family gene. That is an old-fashioned misconception. It actually can start from a virus, but they can't put a finger on which virus. ANY of your children can get it by falling off their bikes, getting hit in the head, etc. Make sure that your children wear their helmets. Getting hurt in the head causes many to get schizophrenia later on in their years (swelling on an area of the brain later on in life). It usually doesn't show up until it is full-blown after a highly stressful event happens to them. It comes on slowly and you will think it is just the normal teenage years, but it isn't. You will most likely not see it coming on until the first full-blown episode occurs. A catscan can tell if there was damage to the brain from the fall. And, you must make sure that the doctor orders a cat scan. They do not like to do this if a person is admitted to the ward.

Okay, so I'm starting to give you more information than you want to know. But, it is important to be educated and also learn to be more compassionate towards others. And, HOPE it doesn't happen to your child. Children do grow up.

The government does not help at all, and neither does society. They would rather help for other illnesses not as important as mental illness. 1 out of 4 people in the world today has some form of mental illness (there are many more types than you may realize).

I may not be a good writer, but I can stand my own on talking about this mission of mine. I am on the board educating the educators and families about mental illness, and especially schizophrenia. I am also a CASA volunteer.

Having her taken into the hospital for an evaluation is the best you can do at this point. It's a catch 22 because if she is on meds, she most likely won't like the side effects. Then she feels better and goes off the meds, the ends up back in the hospital.....vicious circle.

Please don't refer to them as loonies. The stigma placed on mental illness is so hurtful to so many people in this world. It breaks my heart that nothing is truly being done about it nor do people care unless they have been there done that with their own loved one.

My heart breaks just reading this and a few other threads. I can't stand the name calling. And, although my heart breaks, reading uncompassionate remarks/ name calling makes me very angry at the person stating an untrue fact or making a joke about it. But ignorance most always Rules in our society as does sarcasm. It is ignorance that make you react as many do, so please educate yourselves, even if just the sake of your own children.

Globug_47
July 16th, 2008, 2:58pm
Miss Krystal.... you have taken one sentence out of an entire post (and thread).

If you read the post/thread, you would have seen that not only was my sister and the neighborhood concerned for the safety of their families and property, they were also concerned for the woman that was acting irrational.

911 was called the day before and left without doing anything for this poor woman. When she started acting irrational again the next day, my sister called 911 (yet again) to come out to help this woman.

I didn't get from OP's post that she had anything other than the safety of her family and the "naked" woman's in mind when she reacted to this situation.

Personally, I think that she did exactly the right thing in the situation. She called for help for this woman.

How can you possibly fault that?

If she hadn't cared, she would have been one of those neighborhood biddies that hides behind their curtains in their homes, telling themselves that it's not their problem.

FreakDuJour
July 16th, 2008, 3:18pm
:nono:

Miss Krystal
July 16th, 2008, 3:35pm
Miss Krystal.... you have taken one sentence out of an entire post (and thread).

If you read the post/thread, you would have seen that not only was my sister and the neighborhood concerned for the safety of their families and property, they were also concerned for the woman that was acting irrational.

911 was called the day before and left without doing anything for this poor woman. When she started acting irrational again the next day, my sister called 911 (yet again) to come out to help this woman.

I didn't get from OP's post that she had anything other than the safety of her family and the "naked" woman's in mind when she reacted to this situation.

Personally, I think that she did exactly the right thing in the situation. She called for help for this woman.

How can you possibly fault that?

If she hadn't cared, she would have been one of those neighborhood biddies that hides behind their curtains in their homes, telling themselves that it's not their problem.

I read all of the posts. And, I don't feel there was an concern over the safety of her family. I only wrote because way too many people pass on stigma over mental illness. That is a fact. I am glad she helped the woman, but if more were educated instead of just making assumptions, it would be better. I have no problem that the woman was helped by getting her admitted to the hospital. I feel it was the best for her. I DO have a problem with people making any form of fun against persons with mental illness. I have always felt that way even as a child because I have never found it funny. I find it highly offensive. People do this out of ignorance. Mental illness is not funny at all. And, just because the woman is nude does not mean she will hurt anyone (other than possibly herself).

And, I was not trying to start a fighting match. Just stating my feelings.

Have to go out to cut the grass now (unless anyone wants to help me), but will most likely come back to a bunch of head bashing later.

That is all I have to say.

Globug_47
July 16th, 2008, 4:02pm
I read all of the posts. And, I don't feel there was an concern over the safety of her family. I only wrote because way too many people pass on stigma over mental illness. That is a fact. I am glad she helped the woman, but if more were educated instead of just making assumptions, it would be better. I have no problem that the woman was helped by getting her admitted to the hospital. I feel it was the best for her. I DO have a problem with people making any form of fun against persons with mental illness. I have always felt that way even as a child because I have never found it funny. I find it highly offensive. People do this out of ignorance. Mental illness is not funny at all. And, just because the woman is nude does not mean she will hurt anyone (other than possibly herself).

And, I was not trying to start a fighting match. Just stating my feelings.

Have to go out to cut the grass now (unless anyone wants to help me), but will most likely come back to a bunch of head bashing later.

That is all I have to say.

I know my sister and I can assure you that she is the last person on ths earth to make fun of someone who is mentally ill.

And just as you scolded my sister about making an assumption as to why this woman lost custody of her children, I will now take the opportunity to point out to you that you are doing the exact same thing with your statement that I have bolded. You are making a statement that you are not qualified to make. The fact that the woman was nude only factored into it as far as deciding that the woman was not acting rationally. Now quite frankly, as a woman and a mother..... I'm not going to sit down on my patio with a naked woman who is spouting nonsense to have a conversation as to her mental capabilities. I'm going to call the police and let them handle it so that I will keep myself and family out of harms way should the situation turn more unstable than it already is.

And no one is going to "head bash" you for your views and feelings on mental illness. Why would anyone do that? Most agree that mental illness is a terrible thing and one suffers greatly at the hands of it. Ask me.... I know. I have suffered from my teen years and my sister helped me through some rough periods of my life.

So please, while my sister may not have worded her post as to not offend you.... her heart was definitely in the right place with this woman. And if you're angry because of this thread and some posts that you have read, channel it. Don't let it go untapped when it could go to help someone or something that needs it.

OKgirl
July 16th, 2008, 4:53pm
:hugs: Miss Krystal. Bless you for showing such compassion. I wish more people were aware and more understanding of mental illness. I know you meant no harm. I'd help with your lawn if we lived closer! :bouquet:

dementeddoll
July 16th, 2008, 4:58pm
do you live near toad??

clallen1971
July 16th, 2008, 5:08pm

oh what a great story! you were a blessing to the man.

clallen1971
July 16th, 2008, 5:15pm
i read the update. i hope that the lady gets well. i hope you get some peace. i would hate for my kids to see a nekkid woman outside. isn't that against the law? to be nekkid in public?

infinitybean
July 16th, 2008, 5:22pm

I wholeheartedly agree. :hugs:

She does need help, but she deserves kindness, too.

TinyMoMo
July 16th, 2008, 5:29pm
i have this neighbor across the street that everyone just calls "loonytunes". I guess she has lived there for 5-6 yrs and calls herself the neighborhood watch lady...yeah ok.

Well her elevator doesnt go all the way up if ya know what i mean and this morning she was out behind her house sitting down by the dumpsters saying the police are trying to kill her and she was BUTTASS NAKED!!
And she is not a petite woman.

I called 911 and they sent someone out but by the time they got here she had gone iside her house already. She refused to answer the door to them and spoke to them thru her window...saying again the police are trying to kill her.
Because she was inside her apt and not a threat outside there was really nothing they could do.

I hope she gets help as i have heard some wild stories about this woman.

I guess she held herseslf and her child hostage yrs ago saying she was gonna kill them and lost custody of the kid.Her 3rd hubby dressed in black and stood on the railroad tracks behind us till a train came along...dead on impact. She remarried 3 months ago but he has already left her and filed for divorce....this isnt the first time she has been naked around here either.

I have told you and told you! Why do you need to tell everyone on here what I am up to???? When I sit outside naked it is to cool off my nether regions. Sure, hubby thought he was Johnny Cash- big deal.:sumo:
And my newest hubby didn't leave me, he just went home.:curtsy:

BWAH HA HA HA

Miss Krystal
July 16th, 2008, 6:09pm
Lawn halfway mowed. Tractor needs to cool down.

Thanks OKgirl! I'd help you too if I was visiting my aunt in OK.

Yes, it is against the law to be nekkid! But, laws for the mentally ill are different, that's why they put them in the hospital or extended mental health care facility. Hospitals can't do much and they get a 5-day stay. If it is someone with a worse case, the hospital may keep the person up to 3 weeks (and that is rare) and then send them to a mental health care facility. Patients always have the right to a 5-day release form. The center can oppose that by going in front of a judge, but generally don't want to be bothered with that unless it is for the criminal mentally ill.

I had a neighbor where I used to live do that. She didn't realize she was nekkid, too many voices bothering her in her mind. She was trying to make them go away. She came over (and the children were at home). I quickly got a blanket to cover her up with. I talked softly and slowly to her and make sure she was okay and walk her back home. She would hug me and then tell me she loved me for caring about her. She was only 19 years old. Many times loud voices and quick talking makes matters worse to the mentally ill. She has since been fortunate to have seen good doctors and have the proper meds that have helped her. She is now able to hold down a job and drive a car and have a boyfriend. But, she doesn't forget the way people would point and make fun of her. Or, call the cops up on her. Even though sometimes mentally ill people may do things that seem strange to us, they can't control it without meds. They see and hear everything but are unable to answer properly often using salad words/expressions that we can't understand. But, the hurt they feel is everlasting. The voices taunt them unbearably as this disease worsens without the meds. Hopefully, one day, they will develop meds that are more safe and healthy. Unfortunately, there is still too much unknown about mental illness (especially schizophrenia). Bi-Polar and Schizo-effective are also known to not realize that they are walking around nekkid.

Miss Krystal
July 16th, 2008, 6:16pm
I have told you and told you! Why do you need to tell everyone on here what I am up to???? When I sit outside naked it is to cool off my nether regions. Sure, hubby thought he was Johnny Cash- big deal.
And my newest hubby didn't leave me, he just went home.

BWAH HA HA HA

That's funny! :laugh:

elizabethb
July 16th, 2008, 6:16pm
I have a question about hearing voices, and I don't mean any offense. I am just curious.

When someone is having auditory hallucinations, are they actually "hearing" voices like I hear the television right now, or is it "hearing" in the same sense that one might hear a song in their head?

mamafairal
July 16th, 2008, 6:21pm
You do not know that for sure because you were not there, you listened to neighborhood gossip.

I do know this for a fact because i am friends with the officers who were involved.
I have not gotten my info from neighorhood gossips....i got my facts from local police officers who have dealt with her over the yrs.

This is not the first time the woman has run around in the street naked...she did a couple yrs ago also.
As as far as not being a danger to anyone but HERSELF...hello who the hell do you think we were trying to protect.
Your welcome to come over to my house and now view the many many deep scratches and cuts this lady has on her legs from hiding in the shrubs behind her house thinking the police were tryiing to kill her.Her legs looked awful when i saw them walk her to the ambulance.

who know maybe next time it happens we'll stand by and do nothing...would that please you more?

Meadow
July 16th, 2008, 6:26pm
Hopefully, one day, they will develop meds that are more safe and healthy. Unfortunately, there is still too much unknown about mental illness (especially schizophrenia). Bi-Polar and Schizo-effective are also known to not realize that they are walking around nekkid.

My mother is a psych nurse and this bothers her all the time - the fact that they really have no clue as to why or how the meds may or may not work. She says when she looks up a psych med it states "mechanism unknown" in other words, they have no idea why or how it works.

She also always points out that the rate of violence in the schizophrenic population is much lower then the general population.

She, like you, gets very frustrated by how these people are treated by society.

It's really a tough situation.

Miss Krystal
July 16th, 2008, 7:57pm
I have a question about hearing voices, and I don't mean any offense. I am just curious.

When someone is having auditory hallucinations, are they actually "hearing" voices like I hear the television right now, or is it "hearing" in the same sense that one might hear a song in their head?

The voice(s) that a schizophrenic hears sound exactly as if you and I were talking in person to one another. They can not distinguish the difference because to them it is real. And, it is real because it is constant taunting in their brain with different voices of people the hear. Imagine being in a room with 15 people in person talking all at once conversing and then they turn on you and tell you how ugly you are, how bad you are, how you aren't worthy of anything, all bad things. As it progresses, it keeps on going on even in ones sleep. So they hurt all over. It all depends upon who severe the disease is. Some only have one episode in a lifetime, others once in a while, yet others almost constantly. This is a disease the seems to happen more often than not to extremely intelligent people with very high IQs. We can't begin to imagine because we can hear/think our thoughts, but to have an actual conversation like you and I would in person going on in our head so that you can't tell the difference if it's real or not. Yet, he/she still does see and hear what goes on around them, and it makes the taunting even more painful. This taunting does not give a person any rest. It is horrific.

So, they do hear actual voices, not TV voices, voices of you and I talking in person next to each other. There is much more that goes on too.

I hope this helps you with your question.

Miss Krystal
July 16th, 2008, 8:34pm
I do know this for a fact because i am friends with the officers who were involved.
I have not gotten my info from neighorhood gossips....i got my facts from local police officers who have dealt with her over the yrs.

This is not the first time the woman has run around in the street naked...she did a couple yrs ago also.
As as far as not being a danger to anyone but HERSELF...hello who the hell do you think we were trying to protect.
Your welcome to come over to my house and now view the many many deep scratches and cuts this lady has on her legs from hiding in the shrubs behind her house thinking the police were tryiing to kill her.Her legs looked awful when i saw them walk her to the ambulance.

who know maybe next time it happens we'll stand by and do nothing...would that please you more?

No. It wouldn't please me more. I don't have to see it, because I have seen it before and much worse. Life changing and traumatizing. And, it could be much much worse. She is scared and delusional. She doesn't see what is going on. Thank God it's scratches from schrubs and not her knife. Worse would be coming home to find your loved one had tried to cut his/her heart out because it hurt so bad, or tried to cut her his/her wrists because God told him/her to do so, etc. There are no words to even express what this does to a mother's soul. It is torment.

If she was such a threat, she should have been taken in to the hospital a long time before this and properly taken care of. She most likely was institutionalized before and it is not pretty.

I am happy you tried to help. Hopefully, she will have good care and proper treatment with caring professionals.

Usually the thought is that the police are trying to kill or the government (meaning hospital) is trying to get all of the secret information from their head. They many times believe they are Jesus Christ. They truly believe this. They are busy with hundreds of thoughts going on all at one time and no peace or contentment. Then can end up laughing uncontrollably at the most inappropriate times.

The officers truly had no right to give you any information because that is personal information. It was an invasion of her privacy rights which should have been protected.

It is their duty to make sure that she gets into a facility to receive the attention she deserves.

Meadow
July 16th, 2008, 8:44pm
Usually the thought is that the police are trying to kill or the government (meaning hospital) is trying to get all of the secret information from their head. They many times believe they are Jesus Christ. They truly believe this. They are busy with hundreds of thoughts going on all at one time and no peace or contentment. Then can end up laughing uncontrollably at the most inappropriate times.

I've always wondered it is so common for them to think they are Jesus Christ.... My mother has had quite of few Jewish patients who think they are Jesus Christ as well. To me that is so unusual - it goes against their own belief system.

She has told me that her patients are often obsessed with the Holy Trinity - The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit. I wonder if it's somehow related to the splits in their own psyches that cause them to obsess over the Holy Trinity.

Like you said, we really know so little about the illness.

Miss Krystal
July 16th, 2008, 8:50pm
My mother is a psych nurse and this bothers her all the time - the fact that they really have no clue as to why or how the meds may or may not work. She says when she looks up a psych med it states "mechanism unknown" in other words, they have no idea why or how it works.

She also always points out that the rate of violence in the schizophrenic population is much lower then the general population.

She, like you, gets very frustrated by how these people are treated by society.

It's really a tough situation.

Thank you for your understanding. There are no answers for help yet. Most often it seems after awhile the meds do more harm than good. Again, as your mom knows, it depends upon a person's chemistry. And, since each person's chemistry is different, the meds may or may not work, or may work at first then not later on.

The exact cause of this disease is still unknown other than no believed it may be caused by a virus. But, it is known that any injury to the head can cause mental illness later in life.

Again, thank you.

I prefer helping people, and I do this on almost a daily basis. If I have offended anyone here, please accept my apologies. It is because I am so frustrated by how the people and their families are treated by society over a disease they have had nothing to do with. They did not bring it upon themselves (such as cancer from smoking, and I am not against anyone who smokes. Heck, I don't care if you come over for a visit and have a smoke. I wouldn't tell you "No", I would give you an astray). They didn't ask to suffer as they do nor their loved ones. I just hate the stigma that goes along with it.

I belong on the board for NAMMI and we go to congress to try to get funds, and also report TV, Radio, etc., which make fun of the mentally ill. And, as a CASA worker, I see way too much sorrow. But, it is my calling to help the children and the parents in any way I can. This is not my career, it is volunteer work that I've studied very long and very hard for. It is something to give back to society where I feel it is most needed.

Miss Krystal
July 16th, 2008, 8:58pm
I've always wondered it is so common for them to think they are Jesus Christ.... My mother has had quite of few Jewish patients who think they are Jesus Christ as well. To me that is so unusual - it goes against their own belief system.

She has told me that her patients are often obsessed with the Holy Trinity - The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit. I wonder if it's somehow related to the splits in their own psyches that cause them to obsess over the Holy Trinity.

Like you said, we really know so little about the illness.

Your mom has seen what I have then. And, yes, you have a very good point there. Also, believing they are telepathic and also they seek to find all of the answers of the universe and then will tell you in great detail that they have. Then after expending all the energy they will lay on the floor or couch and not move for hours because too much is going on inside of their head. It looks like meditation for hours, but it is not.

It is all so sad, heartbreakingly sad. If only we could learn the answers. But, we're not even close to that yet.

Nite all. Have to run out on some errands.

elizabethb
July 16th, 2008, 10:21pm
Thank you for your informative posts, Krystal. It's heartening to see someone who works around this everyday remain so compassionate. So many people I've come into contact with (police dispatchers, psych ward nurses, and yes, even psychiatrists) over the years tend to become desensitized to it all after a while.

On the other hand, I've been told that if you can't pull yourself away from it a bit, or even laugh about it a little, you'd end up crying all the time. :frown2: In any case, you are a great advocate for whomever you're providing care. Keep fighting the good fight, and thanks again for all the info.

nursing student
July 16th, 2008, 10:42pm

And, persons with schizophrenia do not harm other people. That is where society is mislead and uneducated. They overly use the word schizophrenia instead of educating themselves to exactly what the illness is. There are many different types of mental illnesses. It is terrible that they are labeled. These people have a name, just like you and I do. It's not those people, them people, that loonie person, (highly offensive) as schizophrenics do have feelings same as you as I do, and they hear what you are saying. If ALL people were more educated to the various types of mental illnesses, instead of sweeping it under the rug, they would be much better off. This poor woman was most likely off her meds. She was paranoid. That does not mean she has schizophrenia, she could be bipolar too, or she could be on drugs! I suggest to many to read some informative books from the library and get educated. A short but very informative bood is "Schizophrenia Losing Touch with Reality" It is short and to the point an encyclopedia of psychological disorders, and very easy reading. I would hope that in learning, people in society would have more compassion. Persons with mental disabilities are human too. They do understand, and they go through HELL. Not just because it is out of their control, but the meds can have serious side affects also. It's not like cancer where a doctor just knows which meds to give a person. Each persons body reacts differently to meds and so it is hard and dangerous to treat. I wouldn't wish the hurt that goes on in their mind on any of your family members because it is exactly what I am stating..."HELL". Please stop labeling every person that does not seem quite normal (to you) as having schizophrenia. You are doing them harm by your ignorance.

A note to all moms and dads. Schizophrenia does not necessarily come from a family gene. That is an old-fashioned misconception. It actually can start from a virus, but they can't put a finger on which virus. ANY of your children can get it by falling off their bikes, getting hit in the head, etc. Make sure that your children wear their helmets. Getting hurt in the head causes many to get schizophrenia later on in their years (swelling on an area of the brain later on in life). It usually doesn't show up until it is full-blown after a highly stressful event happens to them. It comes on slowly and you will think it is just the normal teenage years, but it isn't. You will most likely not see it coming on until the first full-blown episode occurs. A catscan can tell if there was damage to the brain from the fall. And, you must make sure that the doctor orders a cat scan. They do not like to do this if a person is admitted to the ward.

Okay, so I'm starting to give you more information than you want to know. But, it is important to be educated and also learn to be more compassionate towards others. And, HOPE it doesn't happen to your child. Children do grow up.

The government does not help at all, and neither does society. They would rather help for other illnesses not as important as mental illness. 1 out of 4 people in the world today has some form of mental illness (there are many more types than you may realize).

I may not be a good writer, but I can stand my own on talking about this mission of mine. I am on the board educating the educators and families about mental illness, and especially schizophrenia. I am also a CASA volunteer.

Having her taken into the hospital for an evaluation is the best you can do at this point. It's a catch 22 because if she is on meds, she most likely won't like the side effects. Then she feels better and goes off the meds, the ends up back in the hospital.....vicious circle.

Please don't refer to them as loonies. The stigma placed on mental illness is so hurtful to so many people in this world. It breaks my heart that nothing is truly being done about it nor do people care unless they have been there done that with their own loved one.

My heart breaks just reading this and a few other threads. I can't stand the name calling. And, although my heart breaks, reading uncompassionate remarks/ name calling makes me very angry at the person stating an untrue fact or making a joke about it. But ignorance most always Rules in our society as does sarcasm. It is ignorance that make you react as many do, so please educate yourselves, even if just the sake of your own children.

Perhaps you meant to say that not all people with Schizophrenia harm people. However, persons with Schizophrenia do not harm other people is just not true. I, too, work in the mental health field. I work only with patients who have schizophrenia or are bipolar. Many of them have hurt family members, strangers, other patients, etc. We have had patients that have killed family members. We had one patient that drowned her baby. We have staff members that have been attacked, had bones broken, hair pulled, etc. Patients hear voices or are delusional that the other people are somebody they are not. It is a symptom of their disease for many of them.

I have tremendous compassion for patients with mental illness. I love and enjoy our patients and try to help them. It is unfortunate that people can be insensitive to those with mental illnesses. But mental illness is scary as it should be because it is unpredictable.

Miss Krystal
July 17th, 2008, 1:42am
No, I knew exactly what I was saying. Are you a nurse or a nursing student? It is in this type of remark that it can confuse people who are not truly familiar with these illnesses. There are a wide range of different types of Schizophrenia. You are referring to only one, and not the atypical type. And, it is not classified under Schizophrenia.

Let's turn this around. Pretend you are one of the patients in the mental health care center. Put yourself in their shoes. Then come back to me and state this. By posting this you make it more confusing for people who do not know what really goes on. I have seen the so called doctors, nurses, and nurses aids. They don't care a whit what happens especially if it is state funded. All they care about is their paycheck. They don't look at the patients as if they are human anymore. They treat them worse than the lowest animal. Dogs and cats are treated better than a person with mental illness. Not Bipolar, I am talking Schizophrenia. They treat them as if they were a lost cause. They treat the families as cruel as they treat the patient. The doctors have eyes that have no soul left in them. The patients are guinnea-pigs. They have stopped caring and are burned out. I have fought head-to-head with many a doctor for a cause and always win. They even offerred to pay my tuition to become a doctor myself. I declined. With good reason.

You also haven't stated that these patients have other forms of mental illnesses. They do. If you are working in an institution with the quoted patients than they have been misdiagnosed. Because, in most cases, and I said most (Most being keyword) persons with Schizophrenia are incapable of hurting anyone else. Therefor, they have a different disorder. I don't have time now to debate this with you, but I could. I could also refer you to any number of very informative books which I am sure most haven't read.

Again, this is frustrating. I have many years experience going up against people who don't have first hand experience. Please look over your list of mental illnesses and you will see that these patients fall into a different catagory. As far as I'm concerned most of the doctors are not worth it. I have no use for them. The worst part is that they believe they are little Gods. They are extremely surprised when I state my case with them. Then they compliment me on my sound judgment and understanding.

Please take a moment of your time and put yourself into the patients shoes. Who wouldn't be anxious or upset at being locked up in a ward or strapped to a bed. Usually, the punishment is over nothing. I've even seen nurses lie about a patient sitting by me while I was working. The nurse called security (for the fun of it) and lied that the patient did something he didn't. They took 6 large security men to scare the whits out of the boy and threw him in a padded cell, then proceeded to strap him to a bed and gave him a shot of Haldol. All this while the nurse snickered. She felt it gave her power. Sorry person that she was. This young man suffered because he was sitting alone in the corner looking out of the window at a tree. The nurse had alcohol on her breath. But, that was okay. I could go on and on with stories, but this is enough. The patient needs to be treated like a human and also needs compassion. They get yelled at for pacing, which they need to do at times, for talking to the voices in their head, and much much more.

As you can tell from my writing, I am getting tired. So, I will rest my case. I stand by my words because I have seen "HELL" in the ward. And the worst of it are the caretakers. So sorry to be blunt about it, but it is the truth. Experience through the years without burnout is not easily attainable. Caring/compassion is lost. Students only go by what the school books say and by what their instructors in the classroom or in the hospital teach. Someday, all will learn as many parents and family know that the system is misdiagnosing most and hurting them more. Even bipolar is over-diagnosed. Big misconception there too. Now anyone with a problem seems to be told they are bipolar and given meds. Many times the meds make a person more sick because it was a thyroid problem, or diabetes both of which can give similar symptoms.

It is time for me to relax. I have expended enough energy today on this subject. As you can see, I am dedicated. I also do have a great sense of humor, none of which any of you have seen today. I am known for it, but very protective of all persons with disabilities whether they be mental or physical.

Please excuse my horrible spelling today. I have been very tired from all of my work.:sleep2:

I am getting off of my soapbox now, and sending everyone some good vibes for the coming days...here's hoping that lots of great wins are coming your way very soon. :smile3:

Have a great day tommorw and laugh at my expense as I am sweating in the heat painting ceilings and walls while everyone here is having fun entering sweeps!

Perhaps you meant to say that not all people with Schizophrenia harm people. However, persons with Schizophrenia do not harm other people is just not true. I, too, work in the mental health field. I work only with patients who have schizophrenia or are bipolar. Many of them have hurt family members, strangers, other patients, etc. We have had patients that have killed family members. We had one patient that drowned her baby. We have staff members that have been attacked, had bones broken, hair pulled, etc. Patients hear voices or are delusional that the other people are somebody they are not. It is a symptom of their disease for many of them.

I have tremendous compassion for patients with mental illness. I love and enjoy our patients and try to help them. It is unfortunate that people can be insensitive to those with mental illnesses. But mental illness is scary as it should be because it is unpredictable

majikgodss
July 17th, 2008, 2:00am
Just because they may not be physically violent doesn't mean that nobody should call the police. About ten years ago, in Des Moines, we had a nice riverboat. One day, a naked mentally ill woman decided to untie it, it overturned, and there is no riverboat any more. Huge huge amount of property damage.

I also find it highly ironic that people have absolutely NO problem mocking Britney Spears, who obviously has a mental illness, but get all upset about even mild statements about ANYONE at all else who has mental problems. I'm not saying you should like her, or respect her, but it's interesting that her mental illness is fair game.

jjampm
July 17th, 2008, 4:50am
No, I knew exactly what I was saying. Are you a nurse or a nursing student? It is in this type of remark that it can confuse people who are not truly familiar with these illnesses. There are a wide range of different types of Schizophrenia. You are referring to only one, and not the atypical type. And, it is not classified under Schizophrenia.

Let's turn this around. Pretend you are one of the patients in the mental health care center. Put yourself in their shoes. Then come back to me and state this. By posting this you make it more confusing for people who do not know what really goes on. I have seen the so called doctors, nurses, and nurses aids. They don't care a whit what happens especially if it is state funded. All they care about is their paycheck. They don't look at the patients as if they are human anymore. They treat them worse than the lowest animal. Dogs and cats are treated better than a person with mental illness. Not Bipolar, I am talking Schizophrenia. They treat them as if they were a lost cause. They treat the families as cruel as they treat the patient. The doctors have eyes that have no soul left in them. The patients are guinnea-pigs. They have stopped caring and are burned out. I have fought head-to-head with many a doctor for a cause and always win. They even offerred to pay my tuition to become a doctor myself. I declined. With good reason.

You also haven't stated that these patients have other forms of mental illnesses. They do. If you are working in an institution with the quoted patients than they have been misdiagnosed. Because, in most cases, and I said most (Most being keyword) persons with Schizophrenia are incapable of hurting anyone else. Therefor, they have a different disorder. I don't have time now to debate this with you, but I could. I could also refer you to any number of very informative books which I am sure most haven't read.

Again, this is frustrating. I have many years experience going up against people who don't have first hand experience. Please look over your list of mental illnesses and you will see that these patients fall into a different catagory. As far as I'm concerned most of the doctors are not worth it. I have no use for them. The worst part is that they believe they are little Gods. They are extremely surprised when I state my case with them. Then they compliment me on my sound judgment and understanding.

Please take a moment of your time and put yourself into the patients shoes. Who wouldn't be anxious or upset at being locked up in a ward or strapped to a bed. Usually, the punishment is over nothing. I've even seen nurses lie about a patient sitting by me while I was working. The nurse called security (for the fun of it) and lied that the patient did something he didn't. They took 6 large security men to scare the whits out of the boy and threw him in a padded cell, then proceeded to strap him to a bed and gave him a shot of Haldol. All this while the nurse snickered. She felt it gave her power. Sorry person that she was. This young man suffered because he was sitting alone in the corner looking out of the window at a tree. The nurse had alcohol on her breath. But, that was okay. I could go on and on with stories, but this is enough. The patient needs to be treated like a human and also needs compassion. They get yelled at for pacing, which they need to do at times, for talking to the voices in their head, and much much more.

As you can tell from my writing, I am getting tired. So, I will rest my case. I stand by my words because I have seen "HELL" in the ward. And the worst of it are the caretakers. So sorry to be blunt about it, but it is the truth. Experience through the years without burnout is not easily attainable. Caring/compassion is lost. Students only go by what the school books say and by what their instructors in the classroom or in the hospital teach. Someday, all will learn as many parents and family know that the system is misdiagnosing most and hurting them more. Even bipolar is over-diagnosed. Big misconception there too. Now anyone with a problem seems to be told they are bipolar and given meds. Many times the meds make a person more sick because it was a thyroid problem, or diabetes both of which can give similar symptoms.

It is time for me to relax. I have expended enough energy today on this subject. As you can see, I am dedicated. I also do have a great sense of humor, none of which any of you have seen today. I am known for it, but very protective of all persons with disabilities whether they be mental or physical.

Please excuse my horrible spelling today. I have been very tired from all of my work.:sleep2:

I am getting off of my soapbox now, and sending everyone some good vibes for the coming days...here's hoping that lots of great wins are coming your way very soon. :smile3:

Have a great day tommorw and laugh at my expense as I am sweating in the heat painting ceilings and walls while everyone here is having fun entering sweeps!

:toss:
Whoa!!!!! Holy, freakin, smelly, pile o'crappola! Wow!! Good vibes my a$$! Dedicated? Not the word I'd use. To say that ANYONE (suffering with schizophrenia or not) is "incapable of hurting anyone else." is so far from reality it's downright cosmic! If you're going to 'educate' us get the facts right. If you want to have a enlightening discussion, then stop throwing stones, and open your mind and heart!

You say, "I have seen the so called doctors, nurses, and nurses aids. They don't care a whit what happens especially if it is state funded. All they care about is their paycheck. They don't look at the patients as if they are human anymore." And, "They treat the families as cruel as they treat the patient." :shocked3:
Retract that!!!! It's predjudice, inaccurate and mean. You're not the person to be spouting some self righteous drivel about walking in someone's shoes until YOU give it a try! Wake up, smell the coffee, stop being so dang offensive and have a piece of pie, humble pie. There. A cup of unsolicited advice for you, enjoy and have a wonderful day. (And you know what? I do actually mean it. Nobody deserves a bad day)

Sincerely,
Have seen the 'heaven' and the 'hell' in the ward and on the street, RN

FYI for those interested these statements are from NAMI's site regarding schizophrenia: "Hospitalization may be essential to protect people from hurting themselves or others." and what Kystal might be referring to is this statement. "...almost all people with schizophrenia are not dangerous or violent towards others while they are receiving treatment." Key words being 'while they are receiving treatment' Here's the link to learn more: http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=/TaggedPage/TaggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=54&ContentID=23036&lstid=327

elizabethb
July 17th, 2008, 9:01am
I also find it highly ironic that people have absolutely NO problem mocking Britney Spears, who obviously has a mental illness, but get all upset about even mild statements about ANYONE at all else who has mental problems. I'm not saying you should like her, or respect her, but it's interesting that her mental illness is fair game.

That is because Britney Spears, with the amount of money she has, has access to the best medicine and best specialists that money can buy, yet chooses (or chose) not to take advantage of it. Many/most people with mental illness do not have these benefits at their disposal, and she makes a mockery of it herself by flaunting her issues for all to see.

I'm not saying that she should go hide away somewhere because she is mentally ill, but maybe she could do herself (and her children) a favor and move out of L.A. where the paparazzi wouldn't follow her around so much, and she would be able to have a little peace and time to heal herself. It's frustrating to watch someone who has so much care about it so little, and I shudder to think how her poor children are going to feel as they're growing up, with all of their mother's mess just laid out there for everyone to see.

Britney's got more issues than mental illness, like people hanging around her sucking her dry, financially and emotionally. This includes her mother, IMO. These people just exacerbate the problem. I think her assistant Felicia tried to help, but she finally threw her hands up. Notice that she's been much better since her dad has taken control. Perhaps he is motivating her to get the care she needs.