PDA

View Full Version : Gift Cards & Bankrupt Companies

LittleEagle
May 29th, 2008, 6:10pm
The following companies have just filed for bankruptcy. If you have gift cards use them ASAP:
Hollywood Video, Levitz, Sharper Image, Performance Team Freight, Linens n Things, Circuit City, Bed Bath & Beyond per the Houston Chronicle

dmbsituation
May 29th, 2008, 6:45pm
It's not on Houston Chronicle's website...

gamecockfanusc90
June 15th, 2008, 2:28pm
The following companies have just filed for bankruptcy. If you have gift cards use them ASAP:
Hollywood Video, Levitz, Sharper Image, Performance Team Freight, Linens n Things, Circuit City, Bed Bath & Beyond per the Houston Chronicle

Usually, as soon as a company files for bankruptcy, the gift cards are not usable/no longer accepted. When you purchase the cards, the company incurs a debt you will collect on when you redeem the gift card. You are essentially become a creditor to the company and, like all other creditors, your account will be handled thru bankruptcy court - meaing you are SOL.

Sharpers Image recently filed bankruptcy and immediately stopped accepting their gift cards/store cards. They finally agreed to accept them IF the customer bought items equal to at least twice the price of the gift card (ie: you have a $50 gift card, you must buy $100 in stuff). Also, you cannot return ANY of the items purchased at the time the card was redeemed - for any reason.

reecesmommy
July 6th, 2008, 12:51pm
i know linens & things here still accepted gift cards -- they were closing the store and i had a a gift card that i wanted to make sure i used and they accepted it ----although they scratched off the upc because they won't accept returns

Lpwilmer
July 10th, 2008, 11:40am
I live in Richmond, Circuit City's Corporate office is here, I worked for them for many years. If they filed for bankruptcy I can assure you we haven't heard about it. They just had their shareholder meeting last week, and are looking at 3 companies who are interested in buying them out. One of course, is Blockbuster, Wayne Huzinega, who was oh so successful when he tried to imitate CC's splintered off company Carmax with his "Autonation". All he did there was muddy the waters, throw money at something he knew nothing about, and end up closing them.