PDA

View Full Version : Questions about winning and SSI benefits....

Globug_47
March 31st, 2008, 1:47pm
I'm just curious about this and figured that I'd ask some of the OLS experts about this since I know very little about how the system works with this.

This is just an example, so bear with me:

Let's say a person that I know is receiving SSI and Medicaid benefits. And let's say that this person is an avid sweeper. With me so far?

Now let's say that this person says they have won several trips, TV, a $30,000 car and cash in excess of $10,000.

Would all of that affect their benefits? I know that you have to claim the ARV or FMV of the prizes that you win every tax year and that you are sent a 1099 to file with your return. How would a person get around claiming these prizes on their taxes and not have it affect their government benefits?

Am I clueless on this or what? I just don't see where it is possible for a person to be on assistance, say they win this much in a given year and not lose those benefits.

Educate me experts!!! :curtsy:

jamiechic
March 31st, 2008, 1:50pm
From what I understand, yes it would affect benefits. People on SSI have to report their income. Sweep wins are considered income, so if they win a lot, their SSI payments could be reduced or eliminated.

secular
March 31st, 2008, 1:52pm
Good question, Glo. From what I understand for Medicaid income is calculated monthly and not by assets, not sure about SSI.

I think there need to be a SERIOUS system overhaul and yearly income should also apply as well as assests including vehicles, homes. etc - the home being dependent on the area you live.

Say for instance I have an $800,000 home but the median home price in my area is $250K. I should not recieve benefits because I could downgrade my living situation. I would not want someone to be homeless, however.

People can go without cars, if need be.

Also if you win $25,000 one month but don't make any month the next you should NOT recieve the health care the rest of the year.

Flame me if you will. :toss:

dopey
March 31st, 2008, 1:55pm
My son got SSI and when he started working he reported the income and they kept sending his SSI checks, so he thought he didn't make enough to stop getting it. After 2 years they said it was a mistake and they wanted the $5,000 they sent him back. He requested a waiver and got it because it was theuir mistake.

Any day now SSI could realise what's going on and demand the money back. I've heard of people owing $20-30,000.

Globug_47
March 31st, 2008, 1:56pm
No flame from me..... I'm just trying to understand how this possibly works.

Could it be that it's not being reported? Or are there exceptions?

Like I said... I'm clueless about this but interested.

jamiechic
March 31st, 2008, 1:57pm
If they're small wins (without 1099s) then it's very possible it's not being reported. But if they have 1099s, it has to be reported. I believe SSI is based on annual income. I could be wrong . . .

Globug_47
March 31st, 2008, 1:58pm
My son got SSI and when he started working he reported the income and they kept sending his SSI checks, so he thought he didn't make enough to stop getting it. After 2 years they said it was a mistake and they wanted the $5,000 they sent him back. He requested a waiver and got it because it was theuir mistake.

Any day now SSI could realise what's going on and demand the money back. I've heard of people owing $20-30,000.

Seriously? Wow.

What if that income/winnings weren't being reported? What then? How could they track it?

BTW.... sorry that this happened to your son but am glad that it worked out for him. Especially when he did the right thing by reporting that income.

Globug_47
March 31st, 2008, 2:00pm
If they're small wins (without 1099s) then it's very possible it's not being reported. But if they have 1099s, it has to be reported. I believe SSI is based on annual income. I could be wrong . . .

But this person is claiming very large wins that I would assume come with 1099's. Wouldn't their benefits be affected by these wins?

jamiechic
March 31st, 2008, 2:01pm
But this person is claiming very large wins that I would assume come with 1099's. Wouldn't their benefits be affected by these wins?

I think so . . . unless there's a clerical error !

SSI also uses asset value, I believe. I knew someone on SSI and they could only have a car valued at a certain price (and it was quite low).

Traumajunky
March 31st, 2008, 2:02pm
This is a great question Glo. I've often wondered about this myself. :snowman:

aycorn
March 31st, 2008, 2:05pm
clever

is it proven that this person is getting the benefits though ..or assumed? I'd think with the high ARV prizes, this is being reported to IRS so if they are trying to skate the system, they will get caught eventually, and will owe.big time

Globug_47
March 31st, 2008, 2:06pm
I mean.... do I have to give up sweeping for large prizes with high ARV's when I finally become eligible for Social Security or is there hope?

I would hate to jepordize my benefits for a trip to Hawaii or a HDTV, you know?

But this person seems to win a lot without it affecting theirs..... so it's got me wondering how?

dopey
March 31st, 2008, 2:08pm
I think they only review peoples files every 3 years. They did my sons when he was 18 and again at 21. He started working at 19, but they didn't read his file until he was 21.
Then they wanted the money back.

Defenderofthefaith
March 31st, 2008, 2:10pm
Social Security makes a lot of mistakes now. When I got married last year I notified them immediately and they kept sending me benefits(mother's for my oldest DS) and then took the money back. They seem to do that a lot. There a number of people on my exes record and SS will send us an amount, then say they overpaid and take it back, then they will send us a letter saying they made a mistake and put some back in. It's crazy.

secular
March 31st, 2008, 2:11pm
I'm sorry about your son dopey.

I also forgot to add that anyone who "knowingly" commits the fraud should have to pay the money back.

dopey
March 31st, 2008, 2:12pm
They'll catch up with the people that are winning eventually.

tlannan
March 31st, 2008, 2:16pm
I think the answer is that it depends on what the items are that are won. This is the rule:

The value of any noncash item (other than an item of food or shelter) is not income if the item would become a partially or totally excluded nonliquid resource if retained into the month after the month of receipt.

If the item would normally not be counted as a resource, the value of it does not count as income. If the item will become a coutable resource (such as a second car or a second home) the value will count as unearned income (income not from work).

ETA: If the person already had a car, then this will count as income and one of the cars will be counted as an asset in future months. The money needs to be reported as income AND will need to be spent down so as to not count as an asset.

aycorn
March 31st, 2008, 2:17pm
The best way to find out how they are winning and its not affecting their benefits is to PM and ask. It could be that they are unaware that they are jeopardizing their benefits.

if they have a 'secret' to this whole winning thing while getting a gov't check, perhaps they should let everyone else who gets a check in on it..but again the best way to get that answer is to go to the source.

But this person seems to win a lot without it affecting theirs..... so it's got me wondering how?

TinyMoMo
March 31st, 2008, 2:19pm
Why???Is someone going to report them?

LUCINDA574
March 31st, 2008, 2:21pm
Is someone going to report them?

I dont know who you all are talking about, but imho, it isnt anyone elses business. If they are doing wrong and they know it they will eventually get caught. Like my Mother always said, worry about your own backyard before you judge someone elses ( not directed at you momo, just in general:wink3:)

Globug_47
March 31st, 2008, 2:22pm
Is someone going to report them?

Oh heavens no!

I was just curious how the whole thing worked.

I am looking at fast approaching the age where I will qualify for SS and Medicare and am very curious to know how my larger wins would affect those benefits.

Since I have no experience in this matter, I thought I would ask those who do.

Nothing sinister.....I just would like to be educated about how this all works.

tlannan
March 31st, 2008, 2:24pm
Oh heavens no!

I am looking at fast approaching the age where I will qualify for SS and Medicare and am very curious to know how my larger wins would affect those benefits.

Now SSI, SSDI, and Retirement (SS) benefits all have very different rules when it comes to income and winnings.

dopey
March 31st, 2008, 2:24pm
Oh heavens no!

SSI is kind of like welfare, it's based on need.

You're asking about the wrong thing.

TinyMoMo
March 31st, 2008, 2:25pm
Oh heavens no!

Glo you are many years off from that stuff........:bouquet:

Globug_47
March 31st, 2008, 2:25pm

See? I told you all that I was an idiot when it came to this stuff!! :grin3:

TinyMoMo
March 31st, 2008, 2:26pm

I think she said "SS"

Globug_47
March 31st, 2008, 2:28pm
Glo you are many years off from that stuff........:bouquet:

Bless you TinyMomo! I adore you for that!

But it's something that I think about and something that I'd like to educate myself about for when that time is finally here.

I would hate to have to give up sweeping and the opportunity to win those great prizes, you know?

I figure if I learn about what I can and cannot do now, that it'll save me a lot of grief further down the road. :curtsy:

secular
March 31st, 2008, 2:33pm
Any advice form the legal team on this one? Sallykay, Meadow?

Meadow
March 31st, 2008, 2:36pm
You're better off going to directly to the source for how those things are handled.

MimiFord
March 31st, 2008, 2:37pm
Interesting questions...

I remember quite a few years ago, my grandmother received SSI widow's benefits, and then Medicare and Medicaid. She never filed a tax return in all the years she collected benefits since my grandfather's death.

I don't know if the rules have changed much, if at all since then, but recently in the news, I know those that receive benefits were encouraged to file tax returns this year so that they could get that tax break check in May that we all are waiting for, so I was under the assumption that they didn't have to file if they collected SSI. I think the same with disability, it is a federal government program, so no income tax filing required.

Don't know if I'm right or not though - just adding my 2 cents.

Meadow
March 31st, 2008, 2:38pm
Any advice form the legal team on this one? Sallykay, Meadow?

LOL - I didn't even see your post until after I posted mine!

Hhhyyyddd
March 31st, 2008, 2:44pm
It doesn't change your SSDI benefits. Cash, or an item other than one personal vehicle sold for cash, will indeed be deducted from SSI benefits. 1099's are sent for prizes, and no one is getting away with anything even if they think they are. 90% of my benefits come from SSDI, but I made sure to let SSI know (yes, a person can receive both) about a $25 check from Eprize and my benefits reduced by the same amount a few months later.

Don't take my word for it, PLEASE, go to the Social Security website and all the info will be there.

7872nc
March 31st, 2008, 2:48pm
Yes indeed it can effect benefits.

And also worst case scenario the person could be made to refund any claim $ paid on their behalf.

This happened to my disabled sister in law.

Globug_47
March 31st, 2008, 2:55pm
Thanks to everyone for sharing all this information with me. I really appreciate it.

It never hurts to be educated and prepared in life, does it?

TawnyNY
March 31st, 2008, 2:59pm
I mean.... do I have to give up sweeping for large prizes with high ARV's when I finally become eligible for Social Security or is there hope?

I wouldn't think it would affect social security retirement- that's something you earned from working, it's not welfare or disability social security income. It seems like the average age of sweepers is 60+. Maybe not here, but other groups I belong too.

mamafairal
March 31st, 2008, 3:04pm

i beg to differ with you on that.
SSI is now where near like welfare. SSi you still have to go thru all the hoops to get it and it can takes yrs.

**Glo whatcha doing telling all my business here on OLS...i told ya i'd take ya on the dam trip with me and i'll loan ya the money when i sell the car.

Globug_47
March 31st, 2008, 3:13pm
**Glo whatcha doing telling all my business here on OLS...i told ya i'd take ya on the dam trip with me and i'll loan ya the money when i sell the car.

Darn.... busted again, aren't I? :shocked3::rofl3:

Suzy
March 31st, 2008, 3:15pm
I spent a LONG time trying to figure out this exact question, hours on the phone over multiple calls with the SS office to figure it out. The problem is that different people may tell you different things. However, the most knowledgeable person I finally got through to seemed to know what she was talking about. Here's what she told me:

When you win something you should report it to the SS office when you receive it. However, the effects of that on SSI depend on what the prize is. If it is cash or something that you can sell, it affects SSI. If it is something that has a cash alternative, it affects SSI even if you don't claim to the cash alternative. If it is something that you can sell, it affects SSI. However, something like a trip with no cash alternative may not necessarily affect it because you can't sell it for cash and there is no monetary value to you. What prizes other than cash affect is not your income but your resource limit (which is $2000 last I checked but may be different for different people). An example she gave me was this--if you won a diamond worth $6000, that would put your over the resource limit for that month (you can't own things that total over $2000 except for a house and one car). If you sell the diamond and get say $3000 for it, that is still over the allowed resource limit. However, if you take that $3000 and immediately spend it on bills or a family vacation, then you are at that point below the resource limit again. You must report what the prize was, what you sold it for, and what you spent it on. It may affect whether or not you get an SSI check that month (especially if you got money for it). However, as soon as it is out of your hands you are once again below the resource limit and eligible for SSI.

All this being said, I would definitely check with your own SS office, because she says there are SO many things that affect each person's SSI that it is very unique to each person. Those are some basics she told me, though. Hope that helps and makes sense! :gvibes:

Globug_47
March 31st, 2008, 3:20pm
I spent a LONG time trying to figure out this exact question, hours on the phone over multiple calls with the SS office to figure it out. The problem is that different people may tell you different things. However, the most knowledgeable person I finally got through to seemed to know what she was talking about. Here's what she told me:

When you win something you should report it to the SS office when you receive it. However, the effects of that on SSI depend on what the prize is. If it is cash or something that you can sell, it affects SSI. If it is something that has a cash alternative, it affects SSI even if you don't claim to the cash alternative. If it is something that you can sell, it affects SSI. However, something like a trip with no cash alternative may not necessarily affect it because you can't sell it for cash and there is no monetary value to you. What prizes other than cash affect is not your income but your resource limit (which is $2000 last I checked but may be different for different people). An example she gave me was this--if you won a diamond worth $6000, that would put your over the resource limit for that month (you can't own things that total over $2000 except for a house and one car). If you sell the diamond and get say $3000 for it, that is still over the allowed resource limit. However, if you take that $3000 and immediately spend it on bills or a family vacation, then you are at that point below the resource limit again. You must report what the prize was, what you sold it for, and what you spent it on. It may affect whether or not you get an SSI check that month (especially if you got money for it). However, as soon as it is out of your hands you are once again below the resource limit and eligible for SSI.

All this being said, I would definitely check with your own SS office, because she says there are SO many things that affect each person's SSI that it is very unique to each person. Those are some basics she told me, though. Hope that helps and makes sense! :gvibes:

Make sense??? That's the most concise and clear explanation that I could have asked for! Thank you so much!

And I will definitely check with my own SS branch office about this. I figure if I start asking now.... by the time I need to worry about it I just might get the answer that you finally did! :rofl3:

Suzy
March 31st, 2008, 3:52pm
Make sense??? That's the most concise and clear explanation that I could have asked for! Thank you so much!

And I will definitely check with my own SS branch office about this. I figure if I start asking now.... by the time I need to worry about it I just might get the answer that you finally did! :rofl3:

Any time! It took me probably 6 months to get this explanation from them (don't you love dealing with the ss office, lol), so I'm glad I can pass it along to someone else who can benefit from it. :gvibes: Good luck!

MimiFord
March 31st, 2008, 4:05pm
I guess if you or I gave that diamond as a gift to a family or friend, then that too would not affect anything, because it is out of your hands and into someone else's?

Jerrysgirl
March 31st, 2008, 4:12pm
Not that I know a lot about SSI & benefits. With that being said from what I understand people that are getting benefits have to really, really watch their wins & it affects how much they get. Sorry can't be of any great help.

Suzy
March 31st, 2008, 4:13pm
I guess if you or I gave that diamond as a gift to a family or friend, then that too would not affect anything, because it is out of your hands and into someone else's?

Oh, she did say that you should NOT give it away because that would affect you negatively. She didn't go into a lot more detail about that, but she said it isn't a good idea to give it away. For some reason selling it is better for SSI than if you give it away as the full value still counts against you.

secular
March 31st, 2008, 4:15pm
OK, what about winnings earned and Medicaid?

realaud
March 31st, 2008, 4:24pm
:nokiss:I mean.... do I have to give up sweeping for large prizes with high ARV's when I finally become eligible for Social Security or is there hope?

Are you talking about Social Security benefits or Supplemental Security (SSI). Supplemental is income based and wins will affect these benefits. It will not affect Social Security Disability.

When you are eligible to collect Social Security benefits, you will not get reduced benefits because of wins. You will, however, have to pay taxes on half of your SS benefit if you make over a certain amount of income.

TawnyNY
March 31st, 2008, 4:30pm
I googled and found this- this is regarding Social Security Retirement Income and additional income which I believe Glo was speaking about:

LIMITS ON WORKING
You can work and collect Social Security at the same time, but there are limits on the amount you can earn between 62 and the month you reach your full retirement age without losing some or all of your annual benefits. Those amounts, which are adjusted every year, are age-based. Once you reach full retirement age, you can earn as much as you like without losing any Social Security income.

The annual cap applies to earned income only, not to money you receive from pensions, investment earnings, or government benefits.

When you You can earn up to After which you'll lose

are 62 - 64 -- $12,480 in 2006-- $1 for every $2 you earn over limit

will reach full retirement age -- $33,240 in 2006-- $1 for every $3 you earn over limit

are older than full retirement age -no limit -- no penalty

So I take it when you are over the retirement age limit whatever it is at that time you retire, you can sweep to your hearts content and collect ss retirement benefits without them being affected.

ResourcePress
March 31st, 2008, 4:31pm
I think you've got many good years of winning until SS kicks in.

TawnyNY
March 31st, 2008, 4:35pm
I think you've got many good years of winning until SS kicks in.

I've only got about 15 years, and I'm counting the days....

fastfreddie1959
March 31st, 2008, 4:51pm
cash;

bank account(s), stocks, U.S. savings bonds;

land;

life insurance;

personal property;

vehicle(s);

anything else you own which could be changed to cash and used for food or shelter; and

deemed resources.
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-resources-ussi.htm

TawnyNY
March 31st, 2008, 8:00pm
cash;

bank account(s), stocks, U.S. savings bonds;

land;

life insurance;

personal property;

vehicle(s);

anything else you own which could be changed to cash and used for food or shelter; and

deemed resources.
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-resources-ussi.htm

Yes, that's for suplemental social security beneftis. The OP was inquiring about social security retirement benefits and sweeping which is something different.

sallykay
March 31st, 2008, 8:24pm
Again, I represent claimants in SSI and SSDI cases. People often get these benefits mixed up.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income; it used to be referred to as the "welfare" portion of SS because it is not based upon your work earnings, because you didn't have any or you didn't have enough to get SSDI, which is the Disability part of Social Security.

The folks who do get SSDI paid in enough to the system to get benefits based upon their earnings. The same for when you retire.

You can actually get both SSI & SSDI if you qualify. SSI is based upon income/assets. SSDI is not. There are specific rules as to "Lump sums" and "spenddowns". Never assume you will lose your benefits forever if you win something or come into some money.

I am not an expert in everything Social Security; I just work in the part of the system that I work in--representing claimants in their quest to receive SSI and/or SSDI. I"ve been doing this for oh, about 15 years or so, and I'm pretty good at it, actually.

You guys know I would be a bad teacher, cuz I have a time explaining things, but I hope this helps a little.

inspiringmind
March 31st, 2008, 8:25pm

She is right on the money with that answer! You know how I got that $$$ last year for the car? I called and reported it because I get SSI and because I had spent it all in 30 days from receiving it never effected any of my checks. Now, pay from social security is a little different, they don't count it as a resource till after 9 months. I do have a house and I do have a car and they are both exempt under the rules of getting SSI. Winnings do not effect SSDI.

And Mama is right....SSI is just as hard to get as SSDI. You have to go through the exact same things to get them both. I got denied the first time and had to appeal. On the second round I was awarded SSI. I am actually really lucky cause some people takes years to get it and I got mine in 9 months. I feel so sad for the people who need it and can't seem to get it.

irishlass226
March 31st, 2008, 8:33pm
From http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/11011.html

About your payments
Before we begin paying you SSI, we will send you a letter telling you when your payments start and how much you will get. (This booklet may have been enclosed with such a letter.)

Your first SSI payment will be made for the first full month after you applied or became eligible for SSI. The amount may not be the same every month. The amount depends on your other income and living arrangements. We will tell you in advance whenever we change the amount of your payment.

Your first, second and third monthly amounts will be based on your first month’s income. Sometimes a type of income in the first month is not received in the second month. We call this “nonrecurring income.” When this happens, the SSI benefit for the second and third month is based on the countable income from the first month, minus the nonrecurring income.

After that, your SSI amount usually is based on your income from two months before. For example, a woman living in California gets a $500 Social Security widow’s payment and a $270 SSI payment. In June, she buys a lottery scratch-off card and wins $200 and reports that to the Social Security office. That means in August, her SSI payment will be reduced to $70. In this example, her SSI payment will go back to $270 in September.
Your federal SSI payment will increase each year to keep up with the cost of living. These increases usually will be in your January payment, which you will receive at the end of December.

Keep in mind though SSi and ssdi are different, SSDI is based on EARNED INCOME which sweepstakes wins are not.

kismet
April 1st, 2008, 12:13am

It will not affect the amount and qualification of your regular Social Security benefits. What will happen is taxation on Social Security. A couple can make up to approx. $30,000.00 separate from Social Security before they have to pay income tax on their Social Security benefits. $30,001.00 and above your Social Security will be added into taxable income.

You can be on Social Security Disability prior to age 65 and still have assets and it falls under the same taxation rules. When you reach 65 it technically is no longer disability.
SSI is different. I don't fully understand it but it is Social Security Disability but I think it is for folks without any assets or other income and fall at or under federal poverty level and is subject to different rules. A lady I knew was on it and they were always checking for other income and assets. It must be subsized. I have wondered the same thing, Glo, about sweepers on SSI and their winnings. For me it wouldn't be worth loosing it.

cpnqn
April 1st, 2008, 12:38am
From my retired friend (I chat about her often in my coupon chit-chat stuff)...

She is retired and has at one time or another had benefits of a sort that depended upon income.

Sweepstakes are NOT an income- unless you take the advice offered here and open a 'business' to use it for write offs (more). As long as it is just a sweepstakes win, it is NOT steady income nor employment.

The BEST thing to do though- is NOT take anyone else's word, go down to wherever and ASK a supervisor for a direct answer.

For me- it only matters in child support calculations- I have to show each time that I receive no income, and that my yearly cash 'influx' is not cash- but, sweepstakes. Sweepstakes are not included in those calculations...

Now, why I have to IDK, b/c it's not like he PAYS it anyway! :nono:

judyv01510
April 1st, 2008, 12:43am
Don't forget that although they are all paid by Social Security Administration there are 3 different system.
SS - retirement based on wages
SSI - Supplemental Security Income = makes monthly payments to people who have low income and few resourcses
SSDI - Social Security Disability Insurance - pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.

Glo I believe when you are researching Social Security is what you are looking for.

While you are at it research Medicare A and B and the new prescription thing. I start collecting in August and it is driving me crazy.

jeepers
April 1st, 2008, 9:29am
Yes in deed it affects benefits... that's why I put everything under Michael's name.
However, I'm going to be losing my benefits really soon, so it won't matter anymore. I'm working PT and can for 9 months without it messing with my benefits.
I put in BIG Money sweeps and BIG win sweeps under Michael's name. Everything else...like t-shirts and dvds are mine.

melonhed
April 1st, 2008, 9:31am
Yes in deed it affects benefits... that's why I put everything under Michael's name.
However, I'm going to be losing my benefits really soon, so it won't matter anymore. I'm working PT and can for 9 months without it messing with my benefits.
I put in BIG Money sweeps and BIG win sweeps under Michael's name. Everything else...like t-shirts and dvds are mine.
I had a feeling this thread was about you.:frown4: At least I am not the only one who thought that.

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 9:33am

Well, good for you.

But I doubt if that will help me much since DH is only a few years younger than me. When I start collecting SS it will be as married and as I understand it, anything that he wins will affect us also.

So.... who knows, by that time I may have won the lottery and won't have to worry about it.

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 9:34am
I had a feeling this thread was about you.:frown4: At least I am not the only one who thought that.

Well this wouln't be the first time that you were wrong, would it? :rolleyes4

jeepers
April 1st, 2008, 9:34am

Actually someone PMed me and they also thought this thread was about me...LOL
That's the only reason I posted... :shhh:

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 9:41am

It's not about you... trust me.

I have stated in this thread that I know someone that wins a lot and is on SS and Medicare. I was wondering how it would affect those benefits since before long I will be eligible for those benefits myself. I would have asked her but she is on a trip right now that she won and I haven't been able to ask her personally.

Since I knew that a lot of folks here are already on SS, SSI, SSDI, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.... I figured that someone here would know the answer.

Nothing sinister but it's nice to know how some people's minds work. :frown4:

But I thnak everyone for their helpful information. I guess it depends on the indiviual and their financial circumstances at the time. I just wish that they didn't make it so darn confusing when it comes to this.At least now I know that I will still be able to enter for trips.

mincognita
April 1st, 2008, 9:42am
ETA; I misspoke. This reply pertains to SS Benefits only, and not SSI... so it really doesn't answer your question.

Social Security benefits may be reduced by earned income, depending on circumstance. Sweepstakes wins are not considered earned income.

However, adding the FMV of sweepstakes wins to income may indeed trigger the threshold for taxability of SS benefits.

Does that help?

I'm just curious about this and figured that I'd ask some of the OLS experts about this since I know very little about how the system works with this.

Let's say a person that I know is receiving SSI and Medicaid benefits. And let's say that this person is an avid sweeper. With me so far?

Now let's say that this person says they have won several trips, TV, a $30,000 car and cash in excess of $10,000.

Would all of that affect their benefits? I know that you have to claim the ARV or FMV of the prizes that you win every tax year and that you are sent a 1099 to file with your return. How would a person get around claiming these prizes on their taxes and not have it affect their government benefits?

Am I clueless on this or what? I just don't see where it is possible for a person to be on assistance, say they win this much in a given year and not lose those benefits.

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 9:45am
Social Security benefits may be reduced by earned income, depending on circumstance. Sweepstakes wins are not considered earned income.

However, adding the FMV of sweepstakes wins to income may indeed trigger the threshold for taxability of SS benefits.

Does that help?

Every little bit helps! :yay:

Like I said, you can never start asking questions (and getting answers) too early.

Meadow
April 1st, 2008, 10:09am

That's a good idea.

Enjoy your wins! You deserve them.

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 10:17am
The best way to find out how they are winning and its not affecting their benefits is to PM and ask. It could be that they are unaware that they are jeopardizing their benefits.

if they have a 'secret' to this whole winning thing while getting a gov't check, perhaps they should let everyone else who gets a check in on it..but again the best way to get that answer is to go to the source.

I'm sorry.... but I can't pm them since they belong to another sweep board. Should have stated that, huh? Since everyone has taken it upon themselves to speculate on this.

A lot of my friend's wins also come from wins at the casino..... and I know that they issue 1099's for the trips, TV's etc. that are won. Not to mention slot machine wins over a certain amount.

I was concerned because I would hate for her not to realize it if she was jepordizing her benefits. But she's a smart lady and I'm sure that she's CYA.

I just want to make sure that I do too when the time comes.

Thanks for all the info folks!

LindaK
April 1st, 2008, 10:17am
I guess it depends on the indiviual and their financial circumstances at the time. I just wish that they didn't make it so darn confusing when it comes to this.At least now I know that I will still be able to enter for trips. To keep it simple, the only one of SSI, SSD and SS that is effected by wins is SSI (and Medicaid) as both are income based. That is, wins must be reported and monthly benefits can be reduced by the value of the win. As far as SS and SSD pertain, wins must be reported as income at year-end (the same for everyone), if a win is of a high enough value (the same as income from any source) it can cause that person's benefits to be subject to taxation. But wins do not effect benefit amounts for SS or SSD (or Medicare).

tlak
April 1st, 2008, 11:50am
Simple to look up. First link is the SSI handbook, second is section 2136 that lists sweepstakes as unearned income and the third link 2137 is exclusions from unearned income, which doesn't list sweepstakes. So I would think this person could get caught.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OP_Home/handbook/handbook.21/handbook-toc21.html
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OP_Home/handbook/handbook.21/handbook-2136.html
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OP_Home/handbook/handbook.21/handbook-2137.html

sallykay
April 1st, 2008, 12:40pm

You guys, please realize that straycat and Michael are not yet married. If you are married, SSI goes by your household income, not just the person's that is getting SSI. Again, I don't know all the rules. It could be even if you're not married, but live in the same household. That I don't know for sure.

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 1:04pm
You guys, please realize that straycat and Michael are not yet married. If you are married, SSI goes by your household income, not just the person's that is getting SSI. Again, I don't know all the rules. It could be even if you're not married, but live in the same household. That I don't know for sure.

First off, this silly thread is NOT about Starycat and I am tiring of that implication.

It started out asking about a woman that is a neighbor of mine and grew into me asking for information so that I could educate myself for when I am drawing SS and Medicare benefits.

No one mentioned StrayCat at all and people are going to think what they will... I have absolutely no control in that.

But for myself, I found most of the information highly confusing and know that it will take a lot of investigating on my part to find out what my situation will or will not allow.

And I thank folks for sharing that information with me.... but I will admit that it still has me confused a bit.... but I did find it helpful. :yay:

jeepers
April 1st, 2008, 1:16pm
I guess the reason most people assume it is someone on here (perhaps me, perhaps not) is because your OWN sister is on disability, and does sweepstakes.
She would probably be the one to ask instead of on here. She can probably even send you some info on this. Or just talk to her so maybe she can help you understand more.
When someone is close to you who has the same issues as what you're asking about, it plain makes sense to ask them...

You're confusing me, too.. by the way..

anyways....THAT'S why people assume it's ME you're talking about.

sallykay
April 1st, 2008, 1:16pm
First off, this silly thread is NOT about Starycat and I am tiring of that implication.

It started out asking about a woman that is a neighbor of mine and grew into me asking for information so that I could educate myself for when I am drawing SS and Medicare benefits.

No one mentioned StrayCat at all and people are going to think what they will... I have absolutely no control in that.

But for myself, I found most of the information highly confusing and know that it will take a lot of investigating on my part to find out what my situation will or will not allow.

And I thank folks for sharing that information with me.... but I will admit that it still has me confused a bit.... but I did find it helpful. :yay:

Oh, no, no, Glo! I know it's not about Straycat; man, this is why I would be a terrible teacher!

I just wanted people to know that if someone in the household is getting SSI, that everyone in the household's income/resourses is SOMEHOW considered per SSI's rules. Say you are married, and you get SSI. You enter all your sweeps in your spouse's name, and he wins one kabillion dollars. That has to be reported to SSI, who will decide how to handle it, following their rules. It may or may not affect your SSI benefits.

Yah, it is all confusing, even just my eensy weensy part of it. Doing SSDI/SSI is rather a specialty nowadays, I have to keep up with it, which is tough to do.

The folks who say they make mistakes are right, too. I have seen A LOT of those!

CathyVeester
April 1st, 2008, 1:19pm
I guess the reason most people assume it is someone on here (perhaps me, perhaps not) is because your OWN sister is on disability, and does sweepstakes.
She would probably be the one to ask instead of on here. She can probably even send you some info on this. Or just talk to her so maybe she can help you understand more.
When someone is close to you who has the same issues as what you're asking about, it plain makes sense to ask them...

I thought Glo was asking about SS (Social Security) Retirement benefits.

No?

If not, I am confused.

jeepers
April 1st, 2008, 1:22pm

No?

If not, I am confused.

hahaha, I need a beer after reading this thread. Let's share! :cheer4:

KChele
April 1st, 2008, 1:23pm
A couple of years ago one of my friends, who was on SSI, received an inheritance of $30,000. They only stopped her check for one month. They told her as long as she could show receipts for what she spent the money on it would not count against her. Of course the receipts had to be for stuff that was needed in the household, like a new van and beds for the kids.

sallykay
April 1st, 2008, 1:23pm

No?

If not, I am confused.

She was, Cathy, but everyone gets confused about the different types of Social Security benefits. Just like they tend to get Medicaid and Medicare mixed up (and people can be on both of those, too).

CathyVeester
April 1st, 2008, 1:25pm
hahaha, I need a beer after reading this thread. Let's share! :cheer4:

:cheer4:

You got it!

inspiringmind
April 1st, 2008, 1:27pm
Oh, no, no, Glo! I know it's not about Straycat; man, this is why I would be a terrible teacher!

I just wanted people to know that if someone in the household is getting SSI, that everyone in the household's income/resourses is SOMEHOW considered per SSI's rules. Say you are married, and you get SSI. You enter all your sweeps in your spouse's name, and he wins one kabillion dollars. That has to be reported to SSI, who will decide how to handle it, following their rules. It may or may not affect your SSI benefits.

Yah, it is all confusing, even just my eensy weensy part of it. Doing SSDI/SSI is rather a specialty nowadays, I have to keep up with it, which is tough to do.

The folks who say they make mistakes are right, too. I have seen A LOT of those!

The answer to that question is yes. I go through it all the time with my husband's SSDI. He is supposed to get a certain amount and only gets half and a few times a year I used to have to call monthly, cause when they count all of his when they are not supposed to it makes my SSI go to nothing. But if my husband was to win a sweepstakes and win $10,000 it would only count if we didn't get back under the $3,000 rule.

FrouFrouGirl
April 1st, 2008, 1:28pm
Again, I represent claimants in SSI and SSDI cases. People often get these benefits mixed up.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income; it used to be referred to as the "welfare" portion of SS because it is not based upon your work earnings, because you didn't have any or you didn't have enough to get SSDI, which is the Disability part of Social Security.

The folks who do get SSDI paid in enough to the system to get benefits based upon their earnings. The same for when you retire.

You can actually get both SSI & SSDI if you qualify. SSI is based upon income/assets. SSDI is not. There are specific rules as to "Lump sums" and "spenddowns". Never assume you will lose your benefits forever if you win something or come into some money.

I am not an expert in everything Social Security; I just work in the part of the system that I work in--representing claimants in their quest to receive SSI and/or SSDI. I"ve been doing this for oh, about 15 years or so, and I'm pretty good at it, actually.

You guys know I would be a bad teacher, cuz I have a time explaining things, but I hope this helps a little.

Exactly what I was going to try to explain. It cones down to this- individuals on SSDI can win as much as they want and not loose any benefits, even lotto winnings. They still have to pay taxes on the wins, but that is all. SSI is a different story...

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 1:32pm

Well now.... that would have been a great idea if my sister ever won anything, now wouldn't it? But even she will tell you that she's not the luckiest person when it comes to sweeping. So with that in mind, I naturally assumed that her knowledge in how sweeps winnings would affect SS or SSI would be limited.

Assuming is a very silly thing to do.

Which is why I figured I would pose the question on a forum where there seems to be quite a few people who have experience in this area because they are either on SS or SSI and actually win things and have had to deal with the problem.

Not everything is as sinister as some would like to make it and if your nose got out of joint over my asking for information on this subject, then I'm sorry. But you ( and others ) chose to assume who and what this was in reference to without really knowing.

Like I said.... I got a lot of good information here from folks and am still unsure of how it works since they make it so confusing. But I'm going to get in touch with my SS office and see if I can get a straight answer from them before it actually becomes a problem for me.

Thanks for the help folks! :gvibes:

fastfreddie1959
April 1st, 2008, 1:37pm
Yes, that's for suplemental social security beneftis. The OP was inquiring about social security retirement benefits and sweeping which is something different.
You win you pay taxes.
Does not affect your retirement pay.
I know senior citizens who work and pay taxes just like anyone else
and no there SSA check is not touched.
If they win prizes yes they have to pay taxes on it just like anyone else.
But it does not have any impact on there monthly check.
Also if you neglect to pay the Taxes on your wins then IRS can and will
attack your check.
But Basically SSA is Tax free.
It's not taxable income.
And yes Globug was inquiring about SSI-No SSA.

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 1:39pm
She was, Cathy, but everyone gets confused about the different types of Social Security benefits. Just like they tend to get Medicaid and Medicare mixed up (and people can be on both of those, too).

Okay, Sally.... I have a question for you. Maybe you can answer it.

DH and I know an elderly couple who are retired and are on SS. They ended up getting divorced when they retired because they received more SS $$ being single as opposed to being married.... plus her medical expenses would be covered more if she was at a lower "income". Now they still live together but are not married.

Now what happens if the man goes to the casino and wins a large jackpot on the slots? Since they're not married, it can't be considered her income too can it?

Like I said... I'm confused about this and am just trying to educate myself.

Silver Spring
April 1st, 2008, 1:39pm
Maybe she has a son or someone who claims the wins for her?

(Inserting personal opinion here - I kinda think that wins should be tax free since they're generally rare and not something you can count on.)

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 1:40pm
You win you pay taxes.
Does not affect your retirement pay.
I know senior citizens who work and pay taxes just like anyone else
and no there SSA check is not touched.
If they win prizes yes they have to pay taxes on it just like anyone else.
But it does not have any impact on there monthly check.
Also if you neglect to pay the Taxes on your wins then IRS can and will
attack your check.
But Basically SSA is Tax free.
It's not taxable income.

Now what exactly is "SSA"?

All these SS things are hard to keep straight!:frown4:

fastfreddie1959
April 1st, 2008, 1:44pm

Now what exactly is "SSA"?

All these SS things are hard to keep straight!:frown4:

http://www.ssa.gov/

You have SSA-SSD-SSI.
Im supposed to be listed under SSD.
But SSA screwed up and put me under SSA-Retired because i can never work again.
And they will not change this status.

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 1:45pm
Thanks for the link FastFreddie! I appreciate it! :yay:

sallykay
April 1st, 2008, 1:48pm

DH and I know an elderly couple who are retired and are on SS. They ended up getting divorced when they retired because they received more SS $$ being single as opposed to being married.... plus her medical expenses would be covered more if she was at a lower "income". Now they still live together but are not married.

Now what happens if the man goes to the casino and wins a large jackpot on the slots? Since they're not married, it can't be considered her income too can it?

Well, again, I have said I don't know all the rules--there are about 298478459348 pages of rules for Social Secuirty of any kind. If nobody is getting SSI, then the jackpot is not going to be considered hers for sure.

But, if someone is getting SSI, it COULD be considered in the pot. I am not familiar enough with the SSI rules to know if it goes by HOUSEHOLD income, or if you have to be MARRIED to count the income for SSI purposes.

I also question that a couple would divorce to get more SS? Perhaps someone could more easily qualify for Medicaid without a spouse; I have heard of that situation; how it works, I don't know.

I think I need to go work on some of my criminal cases today, ha ha.:clever:

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 1:50pm
Thanks Sally! I appreciate it!

inspiringmind
April 1st, 2008, 1:51pm

Just because they are divorced doesn't mean anything. If they are living together then that should effect her medical expenses because they live in the same household. If it was that easy, I myself would divorce my husband cause then I would get Medicaid instead of having a spend down.

Meadow
April 1st, 2008, 1:59pm

Now I'm confused --- why would they think it was about you?

The original post says:

"Now let's say that this person says they have won several trips, TV, a $30,000 car and cash in excess of $10,000."

You haven't won these type of things have you?

If you have, well then God bless you, you are a lucky person! :cheer4:

jeepers
April 1st, 2008, 2:07pm
Now I'm confused --- why would they think it was about you?

The original post says:

"Now let's say that this person says they have won several trips, TV, a $30,000 car and cash in excess of $10,000."

You haven't won these type of things have you?

If you have, well then God bless you, you are a lucky person! :cheer4:

Yes, I have. Then an hour later after saying what I've won, this thread comes up. I'm on disability, that's why people assumed it was ME...LOL
No, I'm not lucky. God has blessed us and I just cannot believe it. It's all so over-whelming. I just feel so blessed and feel like crying all the time.

Meadow
April 1st, 2008, 2:10pm
Yes, I have. Then an hour later, this post comes up. I'm on disability, that's why people assumed it was ME...LOL
No, I'm not lucky. God has blessed us and I just cannot believe it. It's all so over-whelming.

Oh - my apologies then.

Boy I wish I had your luck!

I have won a big trip and some other things but I don't post them on this site for several reasons, but nothing like what you have won!

Again, God bless!!

CathyVeester
April 1st, 2008, 2:15pm
Yes, I have. Then an hour later after saying what I've won, this thread comes up. I'm on disability, that's why people assumed it was ME...LOL
No, I'm not lucky. God has blessed us and I just cannot believe it. It's all so over-whelming. I just feel so blessed and feel like crying all the time.

Congrats on all your wonderful wins, SC.

I hope you have many more to come!

:fairy5::fairy5:

jeepers
April 1st, 2008, 2:24pm
Congrats on all your wonderful wins, SC.

I hope you have many more to come!

:fairy5::fairy5:

Oh sweetie, I've won enough. I just wanna spread fairy dust all around!
Well, it would be nice to win a redbook win...lol. Those sweeps get to me.

Here's fairy dust for ALL!!! :fairy1::fairy4::halo:

LindaK
April 1st, 2008, 3:00pm
It started out asking about a woman that is a neighbor of mine and grew into me asking for information so that I could educate myself for when I am drawing SS and Medicare benefits... but I will admit that it still has me confused a bit.... but I did find it helpful. :yay: Globug, you're okay. When you begin to collect SS benefits and are eligible for Medicare your benefits will not be impacted, reduced or changed in any way by winning a prize.

A prize is treated as income and should be reported as such on your income tax forms. In the instance where one's only source of income is SS then a high value prize may put that person over the income threshold (for taxation purposes) and render part of their SS benefits taxable for that year. This applies to SSD (SSDI) as well.

SSI is for those that have not paid into Social Security or for some reason are not eligible to receive SSD and would otherwise have little to no income. SSI has strict guidelines - any gifts, prizes, etc are required to be reported and will reduce for that month only the amount of that person's SSI payment.

Of course, all circumstances are different but these are pretty much the basics.

KathBrat
April 1st, 2008, 3:21pm

I am happy your household has won but

WOW! I can't believe you would actually put this in public view.

This doesn't concern you that now someone would take the info and run with it?

Wishing you nothing but continued good fortune.:fairy5:

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 3:41pm
Globug, you're okay. When you begin to collect SS benefits and are eligible for Medicare your benefits will not be impacted, reduced or changed in any way by winning a prize.

A prize is treated as income and should be reported as such on your income tax forms. In the instance where one's only source of income is SS then a high value prize may put that person over the income threshold (for taxation purposes) and render part of their SS benefits taxable for that year. This applies to SSD (SSDI) too.

SSI is for those that have not paid into Social Security or for some reason are not eligible to receive SSD and would otherwise have little to no income. SSI has strict guidelines - any gifts, prizes, etc are required to be reported and will reduce for that month only the amount of that person's SSI payment.

Of course, all circumstances are different but these are pretty much the basics.

Thanks for the info Linda!

I let DH read through some of the posts in this thread and he seems to understand it much better than I did. He is planning on going to this SS office next week and they said that they have some printed material that will help us understand all of this a bit better.

I know that I have a few years to go with this but sometimes health issues can arise and you may find yourself in a situation where this type of information is useful.

My hope is that I don't have to worry about it until later on but I figure the more I educate myself about the process, guidelines, restrictions and exclusions.... the better off I will be when the time comes.

Sweeping is a hobby that I have done for most of my life and the thought of not being able to enjoy that hobby because of it hurting any SS/SSI/SSD benefits that we might be getting would break my heart. I just had visions of only being able to sweep for T-shirts, CD's or DVD's!:cry2:

Thanks again for all the help! :yay:

mamafairal
April 1st, 2008, 5:39pm
I guess the reason most people assume it is someone on here (perhaps me, perhaps not) is because your OWN sister is on disability, and does sweepstakes.She would probably be the one to ask instead of on here. She can probably even send you some info on this. Or just talk to her so maybe she can help you understand more.

Straycat dont drag me into this....but since you have....lets roll!....glo did ask me about it but because i have never won anything over a $400 value...all i could do was suggest she check www.socialsecurity.gov

I have a question for you....how can Michael enter a sweep for a "HOUSEWIFE makeover'
which requires you to sumbit 2 photos(one before and one after) after your plastic surgery proceedure....i didnt realize they consider gastric bypass a plastic surgery proceedure...

mamafairal
April 1st, 2008, 5:42pm

YOUR NOT THE ONLY PERSON ON HERE WHO IS ON SSI OR SSDI OR SSA...get over yourself already!!!

Meadow
April 1st, 2008, 5:58pm
YOUR NOT THE ONLY PERSON ON HERE WHO IS ON SSI OR SSDI OR SSA...get over yourselfalready!!!

No but I understand why she and others might think it was about her because the prizes listed in the original post were the same as those she won and posted about in the past and she is also on SSDI. That would lead me to question it if I were in her position.

secular
April 1st, 2008, 7:33pm

Do you feel comfortable collecting Medicaid (which we all know is income based) when, to me, it sounds like you are living quite comfortably and could probably afford insurance?

aycorn
April 1st, 2008, 7:45pm
ahh i see the connection.. clearly a veiled attempt to dig at straycat

frankly i'm not sure why its anyone's business what she does with her benefits or winnings, her tax information, her eating schedule, her hair appointments..etc -- it falls on her head not ours if something is fraudulent. Since nothing substantial is in her name, sounds like the bases are covered.

if people would concentrate on their own backyard perhaps their grass could get greener. As it stands now there are just some busy bodies on the forum. Keep up your winning streak Straycat.

Do you feel comfortable collecting Medicaid (which we all know is income based) when, to me, it sounds like you are living quite comfortably and could probably afford insurance?

She's already stated that she's losing her benefits so perhaps that notion will make the busy bodies happy and they wont spend their evening looking for places to call to report her... and i wouldn't put that past people on this forum. Sad really.

No but I understand why she and others might think it was about her because the prizes listed in the original post were the same as those she won and posted about in the past and she is also on SSDI. That would lead me to question it if I were in her position.

Its a logical conclusion. ..even if it was stated later that it was a sweeper on another board (right) , the OP mentioned OLS and these specific $$ wins.

Traumajunky
April 1st, 2008, 7:57pm
if people would concentrate on their own backyard

I think for the most part, people do mind what's theirs. However, when you put what is in your backyard in the front, for all that are drivin' by to look at, you are gonna get comments.

Personally, I really don't care what you do but you should realize when you are thanking Jesus in one thread and telling people how you skate the system in the next, you are bound to get some comments.

Globug_47
April 1st, 2008, 8:04pm
Its a logical conclusion. ..even if it was stated later that it was a sweeper on another board (right) , the OP mentioned OLS and these specific $$ wins.

Please point out to me where I mentioned OLS? The only time I mentioned OLS was when I said that I would "ask the folks here at OLS".

I'm so glad that everyone seems to know what was (or wasn't) in my mind when I started this thread. And I am even more amazed that some people think so highly of themselves to think that they are the only one that this could be about. Must be grand. There are many sweep stites, many people on SS/SSI that sweep and many people that win cars and trips. How out of all that we have managed to narrow it down to just one single person on this site is truly amazing and we all must be truly gifted in our assumptions.

Carry on.... who knows, maybe the thread was about you.

Or maybe her.....

Or maybe him......

judyv01510
April 2nd, 2008, 3:50am
Another thread about to be shut down.

jesslag
April 2nd, 2008, 9:04am
Another thread about to be shut down.
Hey, I'm enjoying the drama lol.:taz:

jeepers
April 2nd, 2008, 9:05am
Straycat dont drag me into this....but since you have....lets roll!....glo did ask me about it but because i have never won anything over a $400 value...all i could do was suggest she check www.socialsecurity.gov

I have a question for you....how can Michael enter a sweep for a "HOUSEWIFE makeover'
which requires you to sumbit 2 photos(one before and one after) after your plastic surgery proceedure....i didnt realize they consider gastric bypass a plastic surgery proceedure...

Because of it being a Housewife makeover, I did, in fact, put it in my name. :laugh:
But, it doesn't matter because Michael and I are getting married June 20th. Because of deaths in the family and his neice having a miscarriage, we had to postpone it.
We are doing our taxes together after that. I'm going to losing my benefits soon not only because of getting married, but because I'm also working...
Trust me, we don't live comfortably. We recently lost our house and had to move this past October. We lived in poverty for over 2 years.
Anyways, carry on... :gvibes:

tlannan
April 3rd, 2008, 12:31pm
Just because they are divorced doesn't mean anything. If they are living together then that should effect her medical expenses because they live in the same household. If it was that easy, I myself would divorce my husband cause then I would get Medicaid instead of having a spend down.

Actually for most states Medicaid programs it DOES matter if they are married or not. At least for Medicaid aimed at folks who are elderly or disabled. The Medicaid aimed at low income families has some different twists and turns....looks more at the total household and who the kids' parents are, etc.

tlannan
April 3rd, 2008, 12:32pm

If they are just getting retirement income then whether they are married or not should not matter. If they get SSI to supplement their retirement, then that is where being married penalizes you. That may be the case in this situation.