PDA

View Full Version : Spam! All of a sudden.

mommamia8
February 5th, 2008, 7:56pm
I have been doing sweeps for about 2 months now. I was surprised I only got 1 phone call and hardly any unwanted emails from sweeping. Well that's all over! I have been swamped with spam emails for almost a week now. Sometimes I will leave the computer for 15 minutes and come back to 40 spam emails! It was a quiet day on Sunday though...I guess the spammers were watching the Superbowl.:laugh:

Anybody else suddenly get slammed with spam???

IplaymyGuitar
February 5th, 2008, 8:03pm
i get lots of spam on weekdays and very little on the weekends :)

mrbike
February 5th, 2008, 9:01pm
were they the ones that were offering schooling to be a cop, nurse etc?:spam:

retellingstories
February 5th, 2008, 9:10pm
I get most of mine throughout the week, but my "international winnings" always come on the weekends. This weekend I had over 100 bad :spam: . I just give them a big what evs and move on.

sicotte1
February 5th, 2008, 9:13pm
I knowo what you mean:frown7:

Nubbs820
February 5th, 2008, 9:20pm
I don't get much :spam:. I do get a lot of newsletters which some people consider spam. I consider them potential new sweep informers. With my old sweeping addy I was inundated with spam on a constant basis, but that was from entering years of entering very spammy sweeps and signing up for spammy survey sites. You live, you learn, you get a new email address :wink4:

crazyhorse
February 6th, 2008, 1:24am
The more contest you enter the more spam and scam emails you will get in time. My sweeps email I get up to 2,000 emails a day 99% spam and scams.. 40% are repeat emails.

babycull
February 6th, 2008, 1:52am
I don't enter just anything because of this problem. Some of the prizes offered are not worth it. Even if you read some of the privacy policies for some sites, they will tell you that if they ever sell the company, your information might be sold as well. It's hard to decipher between the ones to trust and who you can't. I try to go with your obvious trusted companies and am careful what newsletters I will let them send me. Most I decline. It's helped alot. I really think my worst problems were from a site that would enter you with one click and I believe it was called LuckySweeps. It had a dog bark when you logged in. They actually put a disclaimer on the front page (after it was too late for me) that they sold your info (probably got a lot of complaints). I think they were the biggest problem.

I also used to visit "IWON.com" everyday. When I changed my email address, I quit going there as well. I was getting 300 emails a day. It was so frustrating and so overwhelming. I am sure I missed a few prize notices because I just didn't have time to look through all that mess. Now that I don't visit those sites, I't helped immensely. The problem is, once they have your email, you really can't stop it unless you change your email address completely and start over.

:cheer:

rwebb
February 6th, 2008, 2:17am
I got those about nurses and stuff lots of spam this week what sweep is it coming from in all my years of sweeping this is the worse

LuckyPenny
February 6th, 2008, 2:38am
I was going to start a thread about this myself.

My gosh it takes me hours to just get through my email.

How do you guys get any contesting done?

I would delete them or not read them but some of my email wins have just had a name and that was it.

So how do you do your emails.

:dizzy:

mrbike
February 6th, 2008, 2:47am
I unsubscribed to those that were all text: do ya want to be a cop, nurse etc, and it seems that they have stopped coming...

lifesfun
February 6th, 2008, 3:13am
I consider spam those emails that don't stop emailing even after you opt out and also those that are totally unsolicited.

mrbike
February 6th, 2008, 11:45am
I consider spam those emails that don't stop emailing even after you opt out and also those that are totally unsolicited.

my personal definition of spam is anything I didn't sign up for.:grin3:

lisacna
February 6th, 2008, 12:06pm
I have noticed and was curious if it is true of anyone else---when I enter a sweep for my DS and it asks for a parents email I give the email that I almost never use. Since doing that I have been getting X rated email spam using that address????????? Since these are kids contests it surprised me ---anyone else?

Defenderofthefaith
February 6th, 2008, 12:27pm
I've been getting more and more spam mail since the first of the year--even in an email I used for entering sweeps over a year ago. I have three major addies I use, and those have increased greatly in spam. Whatever happened to the "can spam" act?!

ffpmpeanut
February 6th, 2008, 12:39pm
I have a gmail account just for sweeping so my important emails dont get lost, that way if I sont check for a few days its not a big deal.

abymom
February 6th, 2008, 12:51pm
yes, that's why I never use private family email for contests!

always always use a separate email for contests/sweeps...