PDA

View Full Version : 1099 Questions...

chrismyk
February 5th, 2008, 1:26pm
Hey all,

I need some help. I was the grand prize winner of the Time Warner Cable Be You sweepstakes and I won a 2008 Ford Focus with an AVR of $20,000.

Well, last week I got a 1099-MISC for $17,100 which was the amount of the check that the dealership actually received from some company called Uniworld Group. I was assuming they are maybe a subsidiary (spl) of Time Warner Cable. I don't know.

Guess what? Yesterday I got another 1099-MISC for $20,000 from Don Jagoda Associastes who actually does all of the sweepstakes stuff. They are the ones that first contacted me that I won the prize.

So, now the IRS is going to think I owe taxes on $37,100. I'm just now waiting for still another one from Time Warner Cable. :laugh:

What do all of you experts think?

inspiringmind
February 5th, 2008, 1:33pm
Hey all,

I need some help. I was the grand prize winner of the Time Warner Cable Be You sweepstakes and I won a 2008 Ford Focus with an AVR of $20,000.

Well, last week I got a 1099-MISC for $17,100 which was the amount of the check that the dealership actually received from some company called Uniworld Group. I was assuming they are maybe a subsidiary (spl) of Time Warner Cable. I don't know.

Guess what? Yesterday I got another 1099-MISC for $20,000 from Don Jagoda Associastes who actually does all of the sweepstakes stuff. They are the ones that first contacted me that I won the prize.

So, now the IRS is going to think I owe taxes on $37,100. I'm just now waiting for still another one from Time Warner Cable. :laugh:

What do all of you experts think?

I would be calling the people who originally called you and tell them that you received 2 1099's and why? Of course a tax person might be better equipped to ask this in general, but I seriously doubt that the government can tax you two for "one" thing that you won. I know the companies are writing off taxes and each one is doing it but it doesn't mean you can be taxed more then once.

butlori
February 5th, 2008, 1:44pm
I would contact Don Jagoda and tell them that you received the 1099 from Uniworld and that they should void your 1099 and correct their report to the IRS. The company who funded the prize is the one that should send the 1099. Companies have until the end of February to file their 1099 report with the IRS, and can issue amended forms or void forms.

I issue 1099s as part of my job. I always give time between sending them out and sending my IRS report in case someone calls with a discrepancy.

Good luck.

jennem
February 6th, 2008, 10:16am
I've had to have a 1099 amended through Don Jagoda. They were really easy to work with on that. Just give them a call.

Jennifer

chrismyk
February 6th, 2008, 6:09pm
I contacted Don Jagoda and I faxed over copies of the 2 1099-MISC forms.

She called me and told me to just tear hers up and sorry for the confusion.

So, I guess it is all done.

Thanks for your help.