PDA

View Full Version : Airline tickets and 1099 Question

Lilac4
February 4th, 2008, 8:31pm
I received 2 airline tickets as a win. I ended up not being able to use them so I gave them to friend. I am not sure if she used them or not. I received a 1099 for $1000. I believe that if I used them, I could prove to the IRS that I spent $800 or whatever the actual ticket was. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I just pay taxes on the $1000?

MeLike2Travel
February 4th, 2008, 8:53pm
Treat it as if you had used them yourself and do a print-out of the actual cost of the flight. It doesn't matter if you or someone else used them.

BeautifulPromise2621
February 5th, 2008, 9:21am
...I know I read this before, but to clarify: you can add up the "actual" value of a prize (like an iPod, or trip) and note that (or submit it?) on the tax form, correct?

jennem
February 5th, 2008, 10:49am
Treat it as if you had used them yourself and do a print-out of the actual cost of the flight. It doesn't matter if you or someone else used them.

Only if SHE used them, and you can only print out for the actual flight she took.

If they weren't used, or you can't get that information in print from her, you're going to have to pay on the $1000.

You need hard and fast proof to put a different value as AFMV, from what's on the 1099.

Lilac4
February 5th, 2008, 11:26am
Thanks for the information. I learned a big lesson from this one. I accepted a prize for 2 airline tickets and then realized the airline didn't fly to a lot of locations that I was planning on.