PDA

View Full Version : Why sometimes are contests/sweeps restritcted to certain counties?

elittle2004
February 4th, 2008, 6:10pm
I live in Northern Indiana. Earlier today, I found a contest on a local tv stations' website. I read through the rules and I found that I couldn't enter because I don't live in a certain county in my state. If I only I lived 1 mile (literally) to the south I would then reside in another county and therefore I would be eligible to enter the contest. The strangest part of the contest is that if a person lives in the county just to west of mine, they would be eligible to win a prize also.

jolee62
February 4th, 2008, 6:24pm
GOOD question. I would like to know the answer too

rdhill007
February 4th, 2008, 6:28pm
Write to them, let them know that you watch their station and you do not think it is fair to exclude your county.

I did this with a radio station and they now include my county in their contests.

CheckedOut
February 4th, 2008, 6:33pm
It's just the way they set it up - they make the sweeps and they can make the rules for them.
there is one that comes up a lot for time warner cable here in CO but it restricts it to either a city or county on the west side of CO because thats the only part of CO they service.

but im sure there is some reason for doing it - either legal reasons (maybe some counties have different rules?), business reasons as stated above, marketing reasons because they are targeting a certain group of people, or just because they needed to draw the line SOMEwhere.

i remember growing up i had a friend who literally lived right across the street from a high school, but because the way the boundaries were drawn, THAT street was a dividing line, so he had to go to a school 15 minutes away within the same city...

Julieb
February 4th, 2008, 6:34pm
Is the county that you live on one that they consider to be in their "viewing area"? Or, is the contest sponsored by a company that is maybe targeting those certain counties? I was just wondering. I know that on some of the radio station sweeps you have to live within a certain distance of the station.

pambanter
February 4th, 2008, 6:43pm
It's all about demographics. They want to reach the people they want to reach. Or different counties have different laws.

tricia
February 4th, 2008, 9:35pm
It may be the sponser is limiting the sweep, Could be the service or delivery area of the sponsor. Is the station more than 70 miles from your home? I've seen quite a few sweeps over the years use the 70 mile limit.

elittle2004
February 4th, 2008, 11:43pm
It's actually a tv station that is sponsoring the contest. The contest is restricted to people who live in certain counties here in Indiana. The tv station is in Indianapolis. I live in the Northern third of Indiana which is about 1 1/2 hour drive from Indianapolis. I just looked up the distance, it's approximately 95 miles from my house to the tv station. Another strange thing is: Last year I won prizes from the same exact tv station but they didn't have restrictions back then regarding counties. I do get the tv station at my house.

Julieb
February 4th, 2008, 11:59pm
I guess you should call them and ask. If you do, please let us know what their answer was!