PDA

View Full Version : Tax time question - Can I request a price breakdown for a trip win?

Alexandrea
February 4th, 2008, 4:00pm
I won a HOF trip last year from USA network that had an estimated value of $20k (gulp)
I have the proof of prices for everything except one component, which ads up to a bit under $13k. I wanted to be prepare incase I had to contest the value when I got my tax forms.

The part I cant get a price for is the tricky part - it was a consultation with a nutritionist that was supposed to last for 2 hours but she only spent 50 minutes with us. I emailed to ask how much they charged and instead of responding they forwarded my request to the promotion company who emailed something along the lines of "this was part of a package we purchased, and we can't/won't give you a value" I can't find the email but that was the gist of it.

I figured with the vast amount of knowledge floating around here somebody might know if I can demand a breakdown of the trip components from the promotions company if they come up with an excessively higher value, because I am not sure how I can contest the value if I can't know how much one of the items is worth (the nutritionist in this case actually runs a healthy catering company in LA, so consultations to individuals isn't something they usually do separately that has a set price)

. I am waiting for a call back from their accounting department because I haven't received my 1099 form yet.

margarita_mama
February 4th, 2008, 5:04pm
That's the bad thing about consultations and meet-n-greet type prizes. The value of those is really subjective and they can pretty much place any value they want on them.
Good luck with getting it lowered.

jellosheriff
February 4th, 2008, 5:12pm
If it wasn't a celebrity and just a normal nutritionist, you should be able to get a quote from an area hospital for that type of service. If you know the person's name, you could even call her office and ask what her rate is (as if you're a prospective client.)

robsterclaw
February 4th, 2008, 5:19pm
I'm scared of those trips that have a celeb meet with you. When I worked at Coke we would pay Rod Smith $5,000 to come sign autographs for 2 hours. Celebs get big money. But since the nutritionist cut the time by over half, I think you should be able to claim less then half whenever you fo find out what it's worth.

NetworkSweeper
February 4th, 2008, 5:21pm
I would get a price for three nutritionists in your area for two 50 minute consultations and use their average cost as your documentation for the FMV.

:twocents:

Jessica25
February 4th, 2008, 5:23pm
I'm scared of those trips that have a celeb meet with you. When I worked at Coke we would pay Rod Smith $5,000 to come sign autographs for 2 hours. Celebs get big money. But since the nutritionist cut the time by over half, I think you should be able to claim less then half whenever you fo find out what it's worth.

Possibly not. Many people charge hourly rates, but quote them with a "Two-hour minimum".

My mom is one of them. She interprets and charges a two hour minimum. Even if the appointment that she is interpreting at is only 15 minutes long, she gets paid for two hours.

Skipper
February 4th, 2008, 5:24pm
You can ask, and good luck. However, what you can do is make the adjustment yourself on your tax return (see a tax guy). Keep your evidence of actual value.

Alexandrea
February 5th, 2008, 12:16am
Thanks for the advice
I am not sure if she counts as a celebrity, but she runs a company where they deliver personalized healthy meals to peoples homes, including lots of movie stars, and what we got was metabolic testing to determine how many calories we burn. We were supposed to get personalized diet plans but didn't
I guess it irks me because I have a pretty extensive nutrition background and she couldn't tell me anything I didn't know, but I would've loved to have her spend the remainder of the time to to coach my husband because he doesn't want to hear health advice from me at all :rolleyes: She said since I knew it all she figured I could just guide him.
If there is a problem I will call down to LA and find out what those services cost there.