PDA

View Full Version : Great question from a sponsor.

TVGirl
February 3rd, 2008, 3:37am
I just answered an interesting question on the FilmJabber.com contest for "Groundhog Day."

The question was: "Are you actually interested in this prize, or are you just entering to win something?"

OH SNAP!!

Honestly, I think this is a valid question...as the sponsor, they have a right to know, since the contest is, first and foremost, a marketing tool. It was just the first time I'd seen it so bluntly put.

I actually love this movie and did enter for it because I'd love to win it. Just for karma's sake, I avoid entering for things I don't really want or already have. (Tho, I have been entering for iPods more because my best friend wants one and I'd love to win one for him.)

It's been a subject of debate before...but what do you think of sponsors asking this information?

Gotta say, I'm ok with it. They have a business to run, too. Sweeps are a great way to gain customers...and sweepers are still customers!! I just hope there's not a bias against us because we like to get stuff free. Hell, who doesn't like to get stuff free?

wmcr
February 3rd, 2008, 5:30am
I'm ok with the question. I think more people should think about that when entering for stuff. I admit, when I first started sweeping, I would enter for everything, then I started having things I didn't want/need pile up so now I only enter for things that I really want. It makes a difference because now when a prize shows up, I get more excited knowing I'm really going to like it! :eyebrow:

termc1
February 3rd, 2008, 5:58am
I just hope there's not a bias against us because we like to get stuff free. Hell, who doesn't like to get stuff free?

It isn't "free" if you put in any amount of time to get it. . . . but I know what you mean.

Tiime is precious. ... priceless even.

susan1215
February 3rd, 2008, 7:14pm
My answer to them if they asked me that question is "Does it really matter?". I myself don't enter a sweepstakes unless I really want the prize and I know there are people who enter for a prize just to win it but if you sponsor a sweepstakes you can't expect to weed out those who just like to enter just to win things.

luchar
February 3rd, 2008, 8:55pm
I definitely think its fair - companies are giving away prizes for marketing and other reasons - It is for these reasons that there are sweepstakes contests online. I could not agree with you more - :toot:

Scibba
February 3rd, 2008, 8:58pm
i'm honest and tell them I am just in it for the prize - why lie?

jolee62
February 3rd, 2008, 9:07pm
I think its fair for them to ask:faces:

HYDEIST
February 3rd, 2008, 9:12pm
I don't mind the question.
I don't just randomly enter for everything ,so if they ask my motive for entering, I have no reason to lie.

Since I like very specific and obscure prizes, I get discouraged when the winner doesn't even want it or know what it is.
There have been 2 contests for Japanese rock star HYDE's band, several for Japanese band Dir En Grey and even one for Japanese rock star Gackt.

There are maybe 4 of us on this site who know who these foreign singers are but I'm sure that L Arc En Ciel prize pack is sitting in someone's junk drawer right now ,and it breaks my heart because I'm such a big fan.

Thank God for the kindness of OLSers like minxie, who remembered I wanted one of the Japanese prizes and offered to trade with me.

I only enter for bands/singers I like and I hope somehow everybody ends up with their favorites.:drum::smile7:

dementeddoll
February 3rd, 2008, 9:21pm
if ppl didnt enter just to win it (or just to sell it) the fsot thread would be half of what it is.

i call it as i see it, ppl will deny deny deny. everyone wants something for free. yeah we all want the big win, but the small ones keep us going or i wouldve given up by now.

grandma44
February 3rd, 2008, 9:25pm
Though I'm sure it's not the norm, I think it's perfectly fair for a sponsor to ask and I would have no problem telling them the TRUTH, "I wouldn't enter if I wasn't interested in those particular prize(s)". Plus I always thank them whenever possible for wins no matter how small.

I also recently had a sponsor tell me in an email that "it was nice to see I was excited about winning their prize as many others acted like it was no big deal and didn't seem grateful in the least!!"

willwin1day
February 3rd, 2008, 9:26pm
I just recently won a dvd from them - the new "Bring It On" movie. I love to watch these but it was my daughter that soooooooo wanted this. It would probably catch me off guard if I was asked by a sponser but I think it is a fair question and I would answer honestly.

Taminar
February 3rd, 2008, 9:47pm
I only enter if the prize is something I'm interested in. I will say that sometimes I'm interested in *some* of the prizes, but not all. I'll go ahead and enter and hope I win the item that I would like to have.

HYDEIST
February 3rd, 2008, 10:05pm
I totally understand what you're saying. But it doesn't apply to me.

It would suck to receive a CD sized package in the mail, open it and realize it's a band I don't care about. I avoid that letdown by being specific and selective in what I enter.
I guess that's why I hardly have anything to trade and usually end up just giving people cash for FSOT items.:sumo:

if ppl didnt enter just to win it (or just to sell it) the fsot thread would be half of what it is.

i call it as i see it, ppl will deny deny deny. everyone wants something for free. yeah we all want the big win, but the small ones keep us going or i wouldve given up by now.

Lorren
February 3rd, 2008, 10:09pm
I don't mind the question.

There are too many sweeps out there to enter for things that you aren't interested in. Although there have been many prizes for a movie, book or store that I've never heard of, and I'll go find out more information about it and decide that it sounds interesting enough to enter for.

When I was sweeping 10 years ago, I entered less discriminately. I won a Pokemon poster and I wasn't very overjoyed with it. I ended up holding on to it for quite a while and just found a home for it... my nephew LOVES Pokemon and to get a couple of posters from the original movie just made him really excited. But I didn't know what to do with it for years... I've tried to enter for things that I'm more interested in since them.

There's still the chance of winning a prize because you're entering for something else though.

Stagemother
February 3rd, 2008, 10:21pm
I have no problem at all with the question as asked, and would happily tell the sponsor "I'd love to have this prize!" because I, too, only enter for prizes I actually want for myself or my family.

Now, if the question were "Are you interested in our PRODUCT or are you visiting our website just to win this prize?", I would be busted a lot of the time. I regularly enter for great prizes from sponsors I wouldn't be visiting otherwise. Thank heaven, that wasn't the question OP posted! :laugh:

lucky1fader
February 3rd, 2008, 10:22pm
I enter the ones I am interested in, for instance a nice Grand Prize of money. However, I more often end up with 4th, 5th, or 18th prize, which may be something I don't want.

DaydreamingLady
February 3rd, 2008, 10:23pm
Off the subject of your question, but i noticed what you had listed for your location. I had a dear friend in that location, (between Hollywood and Beverly Hills), but he committed suicide so they said, although I think he might have been murdered. He loved his Beverly Hills zip code.

Now, about your question. I would not mind telling the sponsors why I entered their contest. I only enter the ones that I really want the prize they are offering.

ouachitagurrl
February 3rd, 2008, 10:25pm
I don't mind the question. I've entered FilmJabber contests before. I don't enter the ones that don't interest me. I always get a kick out of their "what do you think about this contest" question though.

I've found lots of informative websites that I continue to frequent for their content, not just their contests!