PDA

View Full Version : Off to Tasmania Australia Tomorrow!!!

wickedjen1960
January 31st, 2008, 10:57am
Figures that Indiana is going to be buried under snow overnight and we have early morning flight out of Fort Wayne, IN to Chicago, then off to Los Angeles and then finally at 11:55 pm, Qantas to Syndey, Australia, after 7 hours to LAX, 14 hours to Syndey, we have a four hour layover, then 2 hours to Hobart, Tasmania!!! :jet:

I tried to see if we could drive to Chicago tonight and skip the Fort Wayne leg of our trip to Chicago, but not without canceling flight and re ticketing at a pretty penny. So, guess we will have to gear up for a long day, most likely full of delays. We even tried to book a hotel at the local airport, and the only hotel is completely booked. We only live 20 miles away, but with a forecast for up to 12" or more of snow, we are starting to panic a tad, afraid that we will miss our connecting flight to LAX....

We were wondering if we got to the airport for the first flight out if there were cancellations if the airline would let us bump up early. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on what to do in a weather situation that might be of use? Will take lots of pictures and post when we return. :cheer4:

amylind
January 31st, 2008, 11:02am
I would leave super early to get to the airport. You should be able to ask the agent if there are any earlier flights and they will totally understand about the connection in CHICAGO. I use to work for an airline. I would help you if I was the agent. I am assuming you are on United connection out of Fort Wayne. I would call today and see what time the ticket counter opens up and then I would be the first in line tomorrow morning. BEST OF LUCK and have fun on your trip.

Susan
January 31st, 2008, 11:16am
I agree with Amy - I was a travel agent for 30+ years and would always tell my clients to try to catch an earlier flight on days when the weather was bad. You need as many chances as you can get for a plane to get you to LA in time!!

Good Luck and have fun!!

MeLike2Travel
January 31st, 2008, 1:19pm
Good advice. Good luck, and bring plenty of patience with you when you go to the airport.

wickedjen1960
January 31st, 2008, 1:32pm
Just called and they will approve the storm policy and allow us to take the flight out of Chicago without any charges, so off to scramble to get everything done so we can make the trip to Chicago tonight. Thanks for all the kind thoughts and advice, we're still going to hit the ticket counter early tomorrow to get us into LAX asap, we should be safe since our flight isn't leaving until almost midnight Friday night. I must be insane, I'm extremely claustrophobic, hate to fly and yet going to Australia has always been in the top ten of my bucket list!!! Doc gave a generous supply of klonipin, which is the best $3.21 that my husband has ever spent. lol.....:jet:

sascha_b
January 31st, 2008, 2:10pm
Just called and they will approve the storm policy and allow us to take the flight out of Chicago without any charges, so off to scramble to get everything done so we can make the trip to Chicago tonight. Thanks for all the kind thoughts and advice, we're still going to hit the ticket counter early tomorrow to get us into LAX asap, we should be safe since our flight isn't leaving until almost midnight Friday night. I must be insane, I'm extremely claustrophobic, hate to fly and yet going to Australia has always been in the top ten of my bucket list!!! Doc gave a generous supply of klonipin, which is the best $3.21 that my husband has ever spent. lol.....:jet:

NW Indiana here...you made a smart move and I'm glad the airlines accommodated you!!:snowflake

Glad you weren't flying United...you would have been in a heap of a mess....

Congrats and have fun!
:cheer7:

dippitydoo
January 31st, 2008, 2:22pm
I'm envious! I have always wanted to go to Australia - even considered moving down there (not Tasmania, but to Queensland - Gold Coast)

Please PLEASE post pics! And have a safe trip!

jenninshelby
January 31st, 2008, 10:23pm
Have a wonderful trip!! :cheer3: