PDA

View Full Version : 1099 for undelivered prize.

Shelby65
January 31st, 2008, 10:18am
I was the grand prize winner for the Martha Stewart Fall Weddings which ended in 2006. I dutifully returned my affadavit in Feb 2007 as was requested. March, April, May no contact. So I called in June to see what was going on. The nice lady said she was surprised and would look into the situation and I would be recieving a call from the Martha Stewart people. Nothing. Another call in July, another assurance that it would be taken care of. After no response from them I decided that the Martha Stewart people were just not going to deliver and not to worry about it anymore. When the 1099 arrived yesterday I was shocked! I was going to be taxed $3000.00 for a prize I did not recieve!!!! I immediately called the company - again another nice lady saying don't worry about the 1099 "just tear it up". She also took my phone number and said that the Martha Stewart people would be contacting me. Somehow I am not going to hold my breathe this time. I also don't plan on tearing up that 1099, I am keeping it with the note of the conversation. Will I recieve the dress? Who knows? I don't think I will hold my breathe!:shocked4:

gabyzee
January 31st, 2008, 10:24am
I'm not sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure if YOU got a 1099, then the IRS got a copy as well. So I would DEFINITELY pursue this with the sponsor and get it rescinded.

retellingstories
January 31st, 2008, 10:31am
If you get a 1099, then the sponsor sent one off to the IRS as well. Don't tear it up, but call EVERYDAY until you get this resolved. This is going to be a bummer as you can't do your taxes until you receive an amended!

I'm sorry for your hassle, I'm waiting on a few 1099s as well...

Keeya
January 31st, 2008, 10:32am
How dissapointing. :frown4: Sorry for how this has turned out.

I would keep at them and get some sort of written documentation showing they are aware you didn't receive the prize... or something to that effect. I would then keep that document with your tax info. :frown3:

An amended 1099 is what you need.

eileenfar
January 31st, 2008, 10:33am
but the Martha Stewart organization is a total MESS!!! They don't manage to get anything right or finished or accomplished. I have no way of knowing if the reason is poor leadership or being terrorized in the workplace and it doesn't much matter to whoever is on the short end of the stick.

The ONLY time a 1099 got issued to me where I had not actually received the prize (and it was not Martha Stewart), I was put through to someone in accounting who assured me they would issue a correction ... with a copy to me for my records. And they did. I still have it with my tax stuff in case I'm audited. If you got the 1099 so did IRS - without proof it was in error, you'd be the one with the potential of being painted into a very bad corner.

And IF you receive the dress (and it's new and not defective, etc.) now, it would be taxable next year not this.

TawnyNY
January 31st, 2008, 10:38am
I was the grand prize winner for the Martha Stewart Fall Weddings which ended in 2006. I dutifully returned my affadavit in Feb 2007 as was requested. March, April, May no contact. So I called in June to see what was going on. The nice lady said she was surprised and would look into the situation and I would be recieving a call from the Martha Stewart people. Nothing. Another call in July, another assurance that it would be taken care of. After no response from them I decided that the Martha Stewart people were just not going to deliver and not to worry about it anymore. When the 1099 arrived yesterday I was shocked! I was going to be taxed $3000.00 for a prize I did not recieve!!!! I immediately called the company - again another nice lady saying don't worry about the 1099 "just tear it up". She also took my phone number and said that the Martha Stewart people would be contacting me. Somehow I am not going to hold my breathe this time. I also don't plan on tearing up that 1099, I am keeping it with the note of the conversation. Will I recieve the dress? Who knows? I don't think I will hold my breathe!:shocked4:

I wonder if you can put "0" for fair maket value on your taxes for prize never received???

Shelby65
January 31st, 2008, 10:39am
Nice lady did tell me that the 1099 had not been sent to the IRS yet, but that they had to get them out to people before Jan 31st. and that she would delete the one to be sent to the IRS. Again - not throwing mine out - definately keeping it for documentation.

Gaylep
January 31st, 2008, 10:54am
I won a Martha Stewart contest that I mailed in the affy last summer for personalized stationary. Never got anything...... I sure hope they don't send me a 1099. I'll be calling them for sure.

jellosheriff
January 31st, 2008, 11:03am
Cover your bases and ask them to send you an amended 1099 showing zero income.

ROSIE203
January 31st, 2008, 11:06am
:soapbox:Someone should really complain about this
how many other people could they be doing this to?
getting tax right offs for things for prizes thay are not furnishings
basicly running fraudelent contests

tmy56
January 31st, 2008, 11:22am
Time to move up the food chain!

Are you calling the 'nice ladies' at the judging agency?
Tell them you need 1) the name of the contact @ Martha Stewart & 2) a return call from their supervisor in XX days - I think 7 days is fair.

After 7 days if this isn't resolved, file a complaint with the Attorney General's office. You have been more than patient - especially since you aren't the only one this has happened to.

tomfarr
January 31st, 2008, 11:30am
Cover your bases and ask them to send you an amended 1099 showing zero income.

I agree, do not ignore. If you use the -0- ARV be sure to attach or write an explanation on IRS forms.

rocko
January 31st, 2008, 11:31am
If they void the 1099, they will make that notation on their copy and they will keep it on file along with those that were sent to the IRS. You could ask them for a photocopy of the "voided" 1099. They would likely email it to you if you ask.

:snowflake

BentonWesley
January 31st, 2008, 11:32am
Honestly, I would (at this point) call your state's Attorney General's Office. Explain you won this sweep, you have enver received the prize, you keep getting told "we're taking care of it", and now you have a 1099 for something you didn't get. They should be able to help.

samf36
January 31st, 2008, 11:35am
They need to send you another 1099 that has a check in the void box.

Willow
January 31st, 2008, 12:00pm
Honestly, I would (at this point) call your state's Attorney General's Office. Explain you won this sweep, you have never received the prize, you keep getting told "we're taking care of it", and now you have a 1099 for something you didn't get. They should be able to help.

I agree, you won the prize in 2006, it is now 2008. It sounds like this is a common thing for Martha Stewart. Maybe the Attorney General's Office, will scare them into sending out their prizes.

bayjay
January 31st, 2008, 12:14pm
Even their website is messed up. I tried for months to change my email address on their website. When I would try to change it, it would take me to a confirmation page that had the old email thrown into the field where the new one was supposed to be and a confirmation underneath. I'd try to erase the incorrect one and got an error every time.

After going around and around that page for a couple of weeks, using different browsers and trying to find any way to make it work, I finally wrote the Webmaster. I got a reply. But the reply was that it was my fault (my browser, my connection, blah, blah, blah). It made me mad that they didn't even try to see if they were having a problem.

I went back 3-4 months later and they had finally fixed it. I'm guessing they finally listened to someone.

I hope you get it all straightened out. I had no idea they were so hard to work with regarding prizes. I won a gift certificate and some other stuff from them years ago, when they still had products on the site. I think the prize just showed up one day. No telling how long it took to get to me.

ogayle56
January 31st, 2008, 12:24pm
I'd call that "nice lady" again and ask to speak to her supervisor and/or the "people" that she is supposedly contacting.

Tell the supervisor/those people what happened. Even if you receive the dress this year, you should not get a 1099 from last year.

Then you can call the IRS and the AG, which you should mention to the supervisor/those people.

See if any of this works. Maybe the nice lady is not doing her job or has no real authority. :frown4: You need to shake it up some.

mlminwilm
January 31st, 2008, 12:26pm
Such a shame that something that was supposed to turned out so wonderful turned into such a big inconvenience for you. I'm so sorry. :frown3:

secular
January 31st, 2008, 12:38pm
I'm not sure how it works, but I'm pretty sure if YOU got a 1099, then the IRS got a copy as well. So I would DEFINITELY pursue this with the sponsor and get it rescinded.

I agree. Do not let this go.