PDA

View Full Version : Harper Collins First Look...Anyone Winning/ Reading?

Jacklyn
January 27th, 2008, 4:58am
I am a voracious reader. House is wall to wall books. Just came across the Harper Collins contests....25 pre-release copies of books given to winners to read and then write a review. I have a Masters in English. I really wanted an excuse to read for a living...lol. I would really love to get in on this.

Has anyone ever won? What was your experience like?

LUCKYLADY43
January 27th, 2008, 5:24am
I Myself Love The Harry Potter Books And Stephen King. Darla

prklug
January 27th, 2008, 6:25am
Hi Jacklyn
Just wanted to say that the HC contests are very nice. I have won similar contests before and it is a lot of fun to be one of the earliest people to read a book. Guess that is why I review for an online book site now.

If you ever want to talk about reviewing with someone, PM me. I am always happy to talk about good books!

meganjoy2
January 27th, 2008, 7:22am
I've won the Harper-Collins contests several times. The books have usually been outstanding--particularly the last one, Bound by Sally Gunning. My only negative is that the second to last book I won arrived well after the time I was supposed to sumbit the review, but I think that was an oddity due to the Christmas holidays.

WriterKathy1
January 27th, 2008, 7:31am
Jacklyn:
I have never entered any of those sweepstakes, but I am a freelance book reviewer. I do get paid for reading :smile8: It is a great job.
You can PM me about it sometime if you'd like.

margmar59
January 27th, 2008, 8:00am
I have won 3 of their contest. My daughter is a reading teacher so I enter the children books for her all the time and have won it 3 times. I have entereed for the adults but only win the childrens.

Maddgiggler
January 27th, 2008, 1:37pm
I recently won and am in the middle of reading the book. My review is due next week. It's been a great experience.

Jacklyn
January 27th, 2008, 4:53pm
I recently won and am in the middle of reading the book. My review is due next week. It's been a great experience.

This just seems like so much fun! Can't believe that I didn't come across the contests until last night! How long do you have to read and review?

Jacklyn

Jacklyn
January 27th, 2008, 4:55pm
Jacklyn:
I have never entered any of those sweepstakes, but I am a freelance book reviewer. I do get paid for reading :smile8: It is a great job.
You can PM me about it sometime if you'd like.

I PMed you. Talk about a dream job!

Jacklyn
January 27th, 2008, 4:59pm
Hi Jacklyn
Just wanted to say that the HC contests are very nice. I have won similar contests before and it is a lot of fun to be one of the earliest people to read a book. Guess that is why I review for an online book site now.

If you ever want to talk about reviewing with someone, PM me. I am always happy to talk about good books!

I PMed you. Hope I win one of these HCs! Seems like so much fun!

yadgirl
January 27th, 2008, 5:01pm
I've won. I haven't entered again until recently because I don't read that fast, and I do think winners should write reviews enen though they don't have to.

Jacklyn
January 27th, 2008, 5:07pm
I've won the Harper-Collins contests several times. The books have usually been outstanding--particularly the last one, Bound by Sally Gunning. My only negative is that the second to last book I won arrived well after the time I was supposed to sumbit the review, but I think that was an oddity due to the Christmas holidays.

The books I entered for looked very good. Glad you had a positive experience!

Jacklyn
January 27th, 2008, 5:11pm
I Myself Love The Harry Potter Books And Stephen King. Darla

I really like Stephen King...he is a genius at what he does. He wrote a book titled "On Writing" that is autobiographical. He describes how he got started writing and the process that he uses to write. It is on of my favorite non-fiction books.

Jacklyn
January 27th, 2008, 5:20pm
I've won. I haven't entered again until recently because I don't read that fast, and I do think winners should write reviews enen though they don't have to.

Oh, I agree that winners should write reviews. HC wants that input. They wouldn't offer the contests otherwise.

I'm one of those people who can't put a book down until I finish it. A book is usually a 2-3 day experience for me. I usually re-read a book later to get the fine details I might have missed the first time.

What I like about these contests is that I get to pick the books and genre. It would take me a YEAR to finish a book about a sports figure, or military history, for examples! :tongue:

mommytolili
January 28th, 2008, 1:53am
How do you enter these contests?

Jacklyn
January 28th, 2008, 8:37am
How do you enter these contests?

This is one of ten HarperCollins contests that expires today. Do a search in Current Sweeps for HarperCollins First Look Program. Good luck!

http://www.harpercollins.com/members/firstlook/title.aspx?titleid=1278

Maddgiggler
January 28th, 2008, 9:01am
This just seems like so much fun! Can't believe that I didn't come across the contests until last night! How long do you have to read and review?

Jacklyn

It will be close to three weeks.