PDA

View Full Version : What if I don't have a driver's license(for affy's)

krisbeth
January 26th, 2008, 10:49pm
Hello all. A few years back I was in a horrible car accident that took a friend's life and almost my own. I have not been able to emotionaly bring myself to drive ever since. When my driver's license came up for renewal I simply didn't renew it as I still am not able to bring myself to drive. I haven't won anything I need to sign an affy for yet but what if(IF!) I ever do, should I do about this situation. I hear you need a valid license for most. Thank you all!

dopey
January 26th, 2008, 10:53pm
I don't drive and use my state ID. I don't enter for cars though and you need a license for those.

sallykay
January 26th, 2008, 10:53pm
In Montana, you can get a state photo ID, but only if you don't have a driver's license. So, maybe your state has the same thing; I would think so.

I was in a horrid car accident a few years back; fortunately, once I was able to drive, I did drive, but if I ever have occasion to go by the accident spot (I try to avoid it), I get nervous.

My options would be severly limited if I didn't drive. But, as I said earlier in another thread where some people were talking about their fear of driving, I am afraid to swim due to an early life incident, so I get it. Although not swimming doesn't really affect me, but not driving would.

Lorren
January 26th, 2008, 10:54pm
Can you get a state ID card? I'm guessing that that would work as an equivalent (except for car sweeps).

Debberly
January 26th, 2008, 10:57pm
Go get that ID card before the affy comes in! I'm with the others, unless it's a car sweep an ID should be fine.

krisbeth
January 26th, 2008, 11:05pm
thank you for the state id option. i will check into that. it would probably come in handy for banking purposes, etc.. as well.
yes, not being able to drive yet(and yes i am in therapy) has limited me quite a bit. but i think drivers out there appreciate that i'm not on the same road as them when i have a panic attack. i almost think of it right now as a drunk person deciding not to get behind the wheel. i will recover someday but for now it's not only a service to me , but to others as well.

sallykay
January 26th, 2008, 11:12pm
Makes me wonder if car sweeps necessarily require you to have a driver's license. That doesn't seem fair. And, I recall awhile back a gal's little boy won a car. I"m sure he didn't have a license. At least here, you can own a car and not have a driver's license. I don't know why a person couldn't.

Jerrysgirl
January 26th, 2008, 11:24pm
Hello all. A few years back I was in a horrible car accident that took a friend's life and almost my own. I have not been able to emotionaly bring myself to drive ever since. When my driver's license came up for renewal I simply didn't renew it as I still am not able to bring myself to drive. I haven't won anything I need to sign an affy for yet but what if(IF!) I ever do, should I do about this situation. I hear you need a valid license for most. Thank you all!

Go to your DOL in your state and get a valid IDENTIFICATION card. Washington states ID (for boarding the plane) card cost about $15.00. I needed it for my boys when we took a family vacation to Disneyland a few years back!

Pansy
January 26th, 2008, 11:42pm
you can get a state ID. I show either my license or concealed weapons permit. CWP looks very close to your license.

GeekBearingGifts
January 26th, 2008, 11:47pm
Makes me wonder if car sweeps necessarily require you to have a driver's license. That doesn't seem fair. And, I recall awhile back a gal's little boy won a car. I"m sure he didn't have a license. At least here, you can own a car and not have a driver's license. I don't know why a person couldn't.

Depends on the sweep. Check the rules. It is quite possible that your state will require you to have both a driver's license and insurance to register the car.

margarita_mama
January 26th, 2008, 11:51pm
Go to your DOL in your state and get a valid IDENTIFICATION card. Washington states ID (for boarding the plane) card cost about $15.00. I needed it for my boys when we took a family vacation to Disneyland a few years back!

Just an FYI, your children do not need a state ID to board a plane. In fact, both trips that I have taken with all my children, both the airlines and the airport security only asked for my ID (even though I had brought along a copy of each child's birth certificate just in case).
Now, that may all change if/when the REALID program that the gov't is trying to get approved is ever implemented, or if the TSA/Homeland Security folks implement new guidelines.

The Seahorse Lady
January 27th, 2008, 12:06am

So sorry for the loss of your friend and the accident.

If you win a car then you will need a valid license. However, a state issued ID should be accepted for all other wins if it is required on the affy. Good luck!

Minxy
January 27th, 2008, 12:11am
You need to have some form of I.D. card just incase something ever comes up and you need it. Just get a state I.D. card and use that so you won't have to drive. Good luck to you.

deesbree
January 27th, 2008, 12:20am
Its a shame you have to have a drivers license to win a car. I am sure that whoever is the driver in the family(household)would be the one driveing the car to get you where you need to go and some winners sell the cars back to the dealers.:frown4:

jjarvis
January 27th, 2008, 12:29am
Likewise, most motorcycle sweeps require a motorcycle endorsement on the winner's operator's license.

suziebee20
January 27th, 2008, 12:33am
I have a state ID which looks just like a license except it says "California ID" or something like that instead. When Jaime got his license (he had a state ID until he got it), the ID number on it was the same as what had previously been on his state ID. I'm not sure if all states do that or not. I've only seen car sweeps that require the winner to have a valid drivers license (and usually auto insurance as well). I don't enter those since I don't have one. I've only gotten one affy and used my state ID number on the "drives license" field and I had no problem.