PDA

View Full Version : ID unavailable hang ups

jamie2005
January 26th, 2008, 10:36am
Anyone getting any?
I have received about 4 or 5 over the last week...soon as i answer they hang up - or if i don't they do not leave a message?
keep thinking OHH mabe a winning phone call.

Also keep getting calls for like 8 months now saying i won blah blah blah and something about using vVISA or MASTERCARD then they want you to purchase magazines or something - they use different names it seems for their company and i always tell them they have called before and not interested and they say NO WE HAVE NOT - get angry when i tell them YES YOU HAVE and take me off the list - but they still call at least once every 2-3 weeks..
anyone else??
thanks!!!

:snowflake

BentonWesley
January 26th, 2008, 10:42am
I get alot of the first kind of calls, and it's always people calling to solicit donations. Unfortunately, all you can do (if they answer) is tell them to remove you from their list. The Do Not Call List (unfortunately) doesn't apply to charities.

As for the 2nd, if anything comes up on Caller ID, keep track of the number and company name, as well as the date & time they call, and if you get a name, that too. Then, file a complaint with the FCC since you've told them to stop calling, and they won't.

IplaymyGuitar
January 26th, 2008, 10:49am
I've gotten 2 id unavailabe and hangups withing the last week.

teechbiz
January 26th, 2008, 10:58am
because I have also received some calls this week that come up NO name. The first time I answered thinking Oh MY I must have won something. Instead, I was greeted to someone breathing and then a hangup. Ok a wrong number I thought. I guess they heard my voice and hung up. No problem. I get lots of wrong numbers. Not two minutes later I get another call just like the first one. OK OK maybe the person thought they dialed wrong only to get me again. "hello hello" I say into the phone. No answer just breathing. Not heavy like an obscene call just someone out there listening to me answer. I hang up. Ok fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. The phone rings again. No name. I didn't answer. let them leave me a message I say to myself. Five minutes go by and yet another call I let go by. I check my voice mail. No message. This must be a boring game I say.

I told my husband about the calls and I said if I get another call while he was there I would let him answer. I had a feeling if it was some wack job guy then hearing a man's voice would put that person off and he would stop calling. Of course no more phone calls. The next day comes and the phone rings while I'm teaching class. I don't answer it. I hear it in my purse which is locked in my drawer. I let it ring. I will check it later. Again it's a series of calls. One of my students says, "mrs. copeland. That might be your husband he might really need to talk to you." Another kid says "No it's probably another contest she won." Still I leave my purse in my drawer and my phone unanswered.

I check it later and wouldn't you know no name has called me five times in a row and left no message. Day three comes and I get no call. Day four calls. Again no call. Back to school on Tuesday and the phone rings again and again and again. Who is it? No name. I don' know how to block the call or anything. I am so cell phone stupid. By thursday the person must be tired of this game because he/she hasn't called since then. I hope this is the end of it.

Then I saw your thread and I said, "Woah now. Maybe I put my name out in a sweep that wasn't legit and others are getting such calls." I don't know. I guess not.

Toodleoo
January 26th, 2008, 11:04am
I was getting calls like that. If I picked up the phone, no one was there, and they never left messages. It turned out to be the Red Cross. I had given blood about 8 weeks prior so I had just become eligible to give again. They would not leave me alone! In my opinion it was very rude and unprofessional of them to keep calling me like that, so I stopped giving blood.

RockysJewel
January 26th, 2008, 11:10am
Many times the hang ups are from SPAMY stuff. They dial 10 at once then they disconnect all but the first one to answer then they repeat.
It can be real annoying. ANd although they are suppse to have a number on caller ID many don't.

BentonWesley
January 26th, 2008, 11:14am
because I have also received some calls this week that come up NO name. The first time I answered thinking Oh MY I must have won something. Instead, I was greeted to someone breathing and then a hangup. Ok a wrong number I thought. I guess they heard my voice and hung up. No problem. I get lots of wrong numbers. Not two minutes later I get another call just like the first one. OK OK maybe the person thought they dialed wrong only to get me again. "hello hello" I say into the phone. No answer just breathing. Not heavy like an obscene call just someone out there listening to me answer. I hang up. Ok fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me. The phone rings again. No name. I didn't answer. let them leave me a message I say to myself. Five minutes go by and yet another call I let go by. I check my voice mail. No message. This must be a boring game I say.

I told my husband about the calls and I said if I get another call while he was there I would let him answer. I had a feeling if it was some wack job guy then hearing a man's voice would put that person off and he would stop calling. Of course no more phone calls. The next day comes and the phone rings while I'm teaching class. I don't answer it. I hear it in my purse which is locked in my drawer. I let it ring. I will check it later. Again it's a series of calls. One of my students says, "mrs. copeland. That might be your husband he might really need to talk to you." Another kid says "No it's probably another contest she won." Still I leave my purse in my drawer and my phone unanswered.

I check it later and wouldn't you know no name has called me five times in a row and left no message. Day three comes and I get no call. Day four calls. Again no call. Back to school on Tuesday and the phone rings again and again and again. Who is it? No name. I don' know how to block the call or anything. I am so cell phone stupid. By thursday the person must be tired of this game because he/she hasn't called since then. I hope this is the end of it.

Then I saw your thread and I said, "Woah now. Maybe I put my name out in a sweep that wasn't legit and others are getting such calls." I don't know. I guess not.

Next time they call, answer. When they breathe, just say "this call is being traced". Just because they may block the number coming up doesn't mean it can't be traced. AND, they have no way of knowing if you actually are tracing it.

RockysJewel
January 26th, 2008, 11:17am
I hope you reconsider! People really need your blood! Next time they call tell them to remove your name and not call you again and talk to a manager. I would also let them know that them calling you makes you want to stop.
Thanks for giving blood! I can't (had malaria recenly and anemia) and feel bad I no longer can

I was getting calls like that. If I picked up the phone, no one was there, and they never left messages. It turned out to be the Red Cross. I had given blood about 8 weeks prior so I had just become eligible to give again. They would not leave me alone! In my opinion it was very rude and unprofessional of them to keep calling me like that, so I stopped giving blood.

Toodleoo
January 26th, 2008, 11:43am
I hope you reconsider! People really need your blood! Next time they call tell them to remove your name and not call you again and talk to a manager. I would also let them know that them calling you makes you want to stop.
Thanks for giving blood! I can't (had malaria recenly and anemia) and feel bad I no longer can

Not to bring this thread off topic, but my old boss's wife works for the Red Cross. Apparently when they say there's a shortage, it just means that they have a goal of having x number of pints in storage in case of emergency, and they don't have that much. But most of the donated blood ends up being thrown out because it can only be kept for a few days and they don't really need that much blood on a regular basis. Somebody can correct me if that's not the case, but that's what I've heard.

And anyhow, my bloodtype is AB+ so only other AB+ people can get it anyway, which is like 3% of the population.

txblessings
January 26th, 2008, 12:02pm
I ave had the same problems.. I then found this site:

Just enter the number and it does a search.. you can see replies from others who have received calls from the same number

http://www.whocalled.us/

joenkim
January 26th, 2008, 12:28pm
This might help: I have been getting A LOT of Unavailble calls on my phone.

Finally, I picked up, had to find out who was pestering me so much.

Turns out they are pre-recorded messages from various political parties and candidates

Ugh.

jamie2005
January 26th, 2008, 12:34pm
JUST GOT ANOTHER ONE!!!
:cry2::cry2:

GreenMountainBoy
January 26th, 2008, 12:42pm
I just hang up on them. Charities or not.

elittle2004
January 26th, 2008, 3:05pm
In my opinion, I think the government should ban the use of "out of area" or "unknown caller" listings on a persons caller ID. *67 shouldn't be allowed either...A person should still have the option of getting a unlisted number though.

Sunshine66
January 26th, 2008, 4:23pm
http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~watrous/phone-features.html

... Anonymous Call Rejection
Incoming calls with Caller ID blocked receive a message telling them this line does not accept calls from callers who block their number. (Does not tell the caller how do do this!) (Monthly charge per line -- Free with Caller ID.)

* To turn on: *77
* To turn off: *87

Call Trace
Have the most recent calling number automatically recorded at Verizon's Unlawful Call Center. This can be used as evidence in court. (Per successful usage charge -- currently $1.00.)

* To use: *57

another, large list:

http://www.yashy.com/star.codes.html

n2deep2quit
January 26th, 2008, 7:59pm
I'm wagering it's political calls - a recording pleading your vote for candidate X. I've gotten that before. The first time nothing and no id and a call back shortly and it's the political thingy. It's that time of year (unfortunately)

fangirl
January 27th, 2008, 10:41pm
Watch out for calls from the 876 area code. I have had two in the last week. They leave a message saying that I have won something and I need to call them back. THIS IS A SCAM. They don't tell you that they are in Jamaica and that the call will cost you a fortune.

mommytolili
January 28th, 2008, 1:45am
I used to work for a company, I called back people who were interested in patio rooms (meaning they had specifically left their information for our company that they wanted a patio room). I quit shortly after we went to cold-calling.

The way it works is, they dial up to 10 numbers at a time. You don't know WHO it is you'll be talking to until it comes up on the screen. On top of that, if more than one person answers, it hangs up on them or keeps them "on hold" until they're needed.