PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Sweeptakes discriminate based on names?

AMFLYER7
January 25th, 2008, 2:20pm
for instance.....if a person was chosen for a win...but the name is not to the sweeptakes owner liking.....could they just throw back the name......just wondering

Jennifer
January 25th, 2008, 2:21pm
A company can do anything they want and nobody will ever know it (more than likely). There is no real way to know. Legally no, they can't do anything like that. Just like legally they have to award a prize, but anybody can fake a winners list. Whose to say some of these companies had contest just for the publicity and then didn't actually award anything. For an instance like that I often think about some of the sweeps where no winners list is posted and there is nobody coming forward as a winner (not just on OLS).

The likelihood of a major JA doing that is slim, but smaller sweeps you just never know. I would never assume that happened to me though, unless there was reason enough to be suspicious. But anything can happen these days.

Peaches0422
January 25th, 2008, 2:23pm
I actually have wondered that myself. I have an eleven letter Italian last name that people have a difficult time pronouncing and I sometimes think it is easier to choose another name.Thank goodness, I have won some great prizes, but I am guessing that all companies aren't so reputable. After all, who would know? Great question!

AMFLYER7
January 25th, 2008, 2:27pm
i haven't really won much over the past 5 years of sweeping so i was wondering.......like for instance what if you had a muslim name or jewish name or african american name.....

dementeddoll
January 25th, 2008, 2:30pm
this sounds ridiculous. i am sure many a Jones dont win b/c its all based on luck and some times persistence (ie daily)
sounds like a blame game.

duknuk
January 25th, 2008, 2:32pm
you mean like "Osama bin Laden"? :laugh:

denyse_g
January 25th, 2008, 2:36pm
Na- My name is pretty normal. I rarely win:bhead:, but I think it's because they don't pick me! I do think random #'s come out the same alot- EXAMPLE- people who enter in the middle of sweeps, late at night- ect....whatever. I think those who win alot (:magic:like HOF win after win, ect) could say more (although I wouldn't want to give away my secret if I was one of those people!!).:tongue:
I don't think they throw names back though!

jeepers
January 25th, 2008, 2:36pm
I win a lot, but I have a regular basic last name.
It seems not-so-likely they would do this. My sister just won a guitar from CMT and she has a difficult Hungarian last name (my maiden name).
I've won numerous times on both.

Karen_246
January 25th, 2008, 2:37pm
Its all random, unless of course there is judging involved.

Porkchop
January 25th, 2008, 2:39pm
My friend Larry Lipshitz wins all the time.....

bearbaby_26
January 25th, 2008, 2:40pm
I have a super snooty-sounding Scottish last name (married name) and I never win. So I certainly doubt they do anything like that or I would probably get picked all the time!

BentonWesley
January 25th, 2008, 2:40pm
I actually have wondered that myself. I have an eleven letter Italian last name that people have a difficult time pronouncing and I sometimes think it is easier to choose another name.Thank goodness, I have won some great prizes, but I am guessing that all companies aren't so reputable. After all, who would know? Great question!

I have an 8 letter Italian last name, and people butcher it all to heck. Adding letters, leaving out syllables....

I bet that my last name is why I can't win anything. They don't wanna have to attempt saying it. :laugh:

elfburn
January 25th, 2008, 2:42pm
I wish this Larry would win some.

deesbree
January 25th, 2008, 2:57pm
I have a weird first name have thought about useing my middle name as my first name. Wonder if you switch your names around you can be DQ'd? Shelba:frown5:

KChele
January 25th, 2008, 3:08pm
i haven't really won much over the past 5 years of sweeping so i was wondering.......like for instance what if you had a muslim name or jewish name or african american name.....

What is an african american name?

Alexxus
January 25th, 2008, 3:34pm
i've always thought bout this and i have have an unusual last name(Coward) and i havent won anything so far but its a last name everyone remembers

a lot of other people have names that r considered "black" like i know white people named Shivon and Deja and vice versa, these r common names

RockysJewel
January 25th, 2008, 3:39pm
NO.. I have never seen any sweepstakes discriminate on anything. They have the right to smokers or non, men only, women only, kids only, young only or old only. COntrary to what some think that is NOT discrimination. They are trying to get the attention of certain groups.

The major JA's aren't going to care who wins. If somehow someone who picks names thru it back and chose another noone would no anyway. I highly doubt it ever happens tho. There are usually several people around to make sure things like that do not take place

outwardspace
January 25th, 2008, 3:52pm
I have a very recognizable last name. I have proof that SOME of them discriminate. Sponsors want any and all publicity associated with their contests to be positive. An infamous name is not welcome. However, once they get caught in petty discrimination, the PR could cripple them.

mama_ko
January 25th, 2008, 3:54pm
Only one time i can think of. It was a small business website and it was required to have a middle name.I thought that was strange.:look:

Jennifer
January 25th, 2008, 4:04pm

Is this a serious question? Or is this a question to debate something else?

Foxfire0-0-7
January 25th, 2008, 4:05pm
:mad3:Many contests openly discriminate....they just don't realize it....I think. Many contests are "Open to US Residents only". I am a US resident but when I go to fill in the state box, most (although a few do) don't have APO AE for a state, thus, I can't enter. Military mail addresses are APO or FPO addresses. AE means "Armed Forces-Europe". I still pay taxes, I still vote. I'm still a resident. Very frustrating sometimes. Oh well, someday I will be back in the land of "round doorknobs"

Jennifer
January 25th, 2008, 4:06pm
NO.. I have never seen any sweepstakes discriminate on anything. They have the right to smokers or non, men only, women only, kids only, young only or old only. COntrary to what some think that is NOT discrimination. They are trying to get the attention of certain groups.

That's the problem.... nobody will ever see this type of discrimination if it did happen. It's something that goes on behind the scenes. Nobody would ever know about it.

cole70
January 25th, 2008, 4:19pm
I've often wondered about this. I hypenate my last name and to top it off, my DH's last name is a crazy German last name. I have won a few things but not many. I might switch to just my maiden name-plain and boring. LOL

gemini lion
January 25th, 2008, 4:27pm
I have a Hispanic surname and I've won my fair share. I would hate to think that companies would do that but who's to say if they do or not???

Are there any laws regarding judging agencies? I mean as far as someone not connected with the agency being present when the winner is drawn to make sure there's no monkey business.

DaydreamingLady
January 25th, 2008, 4:41pm
I do not think names make as much of a difference as location does. I do think they have target areas. I think the more populated areas you live in, the more apt you are to win.

NetworkSweeper
January 25th, 2008, 4:41pm
yes they do! my name must be "Loser"

NetworkSweeper
January 25th, 2008, 4:43pm
Seriously I don't think any real company does that. When they get found out, the negative publicity wouldn't be worth it.

The Seahorse Lady
January 25th, 2008, 4:44pm

You're too funny!

sheila10253
January 25th, 2008, 4:46pm
I have a very recognizable last name. I have proof that SOME of them discriminate. Sponsors want any and all publicity associated with their contests to be positive. An infamous name is not welcome. However, once they get caught in petty discrimination, the PR could cripple them.

Do you mean like my daughters name Paula Jones??? lol but she goes by her middle name (paula is her first name) and Jones is her new married name. And yes she has gotten numerous comments about is she THAT Paula Jones!

carscheles
January 25th, 2008, 4:54pm
When you think about it, how many sponsors want their winner to be named Hitler or Bin Laden? I guess they could just put the name to the side and pick another winner and nobody would know.

sxseven
January 25th, 2008, 5:06pm
Interesting... I've wondered this myself... I haven't won yet (a lot of freebies) but no major HOF winnings... I think it's mostly luck and determination...:goodevil: like the saying, if you build it, they will come... I guess if I keep entering on a consistent basis, I'll EVENTUALLY win :smile8:

ironbutterfly
January 25th, 2008, 10:04pm

You're so bad:laugh2:

OP I doubt it. When you look through win list looking for your name there seems to be a wide variety represented.

mlminwilm
January 25th, 2008, 10:10pm
I haven't wondered that about names but I have often wondered that about email domain names. Do they eliminate emails from free services like yahoo, hotmail, and aol?

jessejames819
January 25th, 2008, 10:14pm
I think they pick a winner by zip code or state more than anything else.

Tweaka
January 25th, 2008, 10:21pm
OH I don't think they are doing that. My sweeping name IS my name. Its pronounced differently that it looks... I'm African American and my married last name is a Turkish word.. yes, he's a Turk. We haven't been big time winners but we did take that pretty decent trip ARV $3,500.

The way I figure it the would have to be real jerks but.. who knows

joenkim
January 25th, 2008, 10:35pm
I have won a bunch of stuff, I mean, usually 10K a year in prizes, and I have a somewhat common, English name. I live in some upscale suburbs in a nice Florida west coast community. I am in my mid 40's, married with chld and hubby, and I even won a GP from mtv as well as American Top 40--both geared towards under 30 crowd. Reverse discrimination, maybe?

goodthunder
January 25th, 2008, 10:37pm
I haven't wondered that about names but I have often wondered that about email domain names. Do they eliminate emails from free services like yahoo, hotmail, and aol?

DH and I have both had some great wins over the last couple of years and we use hotmail addys. Rather goofy ones I might add. :goofy2:

laurenk503
January 25th, 2008, 10:38pm
I wonder the same thing!!! I have won some great prizes - don't get me wrong but no trips, hdtv's or big ones. My last name is Russian and pretty hard to pronounce.

I also wonder if for trips, etc. if they check credit? or can find info. about someone?

AND what about age discrimination? I am SURE that occurs!! I hate filling out my age half the time!!

Most of my wins are for prizes my son entered for who is 14! I think most companies are aiming to advertise for certain demographics.

Oh well, I'll take my chances!

AMFLYER7
January 25th, 2008, 10:42pm
this question seems somewhat controversial......yes i'm black and muslim.....some ignorant people might assume that my name is link to terrorism......but i can't change that or myself....i will continue to sweep regardless of what people might think....i just wanted to get people's opinions about this topic so please don't get offended and please continue to respond...this is an open forum for everyone's opinions...thank for everyone's response:smile11:

JudyCK
January 25th, 2008, 11:00pm
because my last name is the same as a very famous beer, I enter their contents and wonder if they would ever pick me as a winner? Would love to know...

VALENTINE
January 25th, 2008, 11:09pm
I have often wondered the same thing, here I am a fairly pure mix of several european Caucasian races and I got the luck of the draw to have a first name and last name that is Spanish/Hispanic sounding!
I never seem to win any Mom and Pop run contests from small web sites, but then brown seems to be the new black, so Hispanic sounding names seem to get little or no respect anymore. :munch:

deesbree
January 25th, 2008, 11:24pm
because my last name is the same as a very famous beer, I enter their contents and wonder if they would ever pick me as a winner? Would love to know...
I was hoping to win the gasoline from a well known gas company.:smile8:I don't know where in the world my mother got that name:bhead: Shelba

nvtribefan
January 25th, 2008, 11:31pm
for instance.....if a person was chosen for a win...but the name is not to the sweeptakes owner liking.....could they just throw back the name......just wondering

I know I'd throw back anyone named Larry. I've never liked that name.

I kid...

OP, the odds of being picked are so slim, I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.

My name might just as well be Wendy WASP, and I don't think I win more than anyone else.

TawnyNY
January 25th, 2008, 11:36pm

No I don't think they discrininate because of a name. Are you saying they would throw someone's name back in because it sounded to ethnic? Man, would they be slammed if it was found out they did something like that.

TawnyNY
January 25th, 2008, 11:37pm
this question seems somewhat controversial......yes i'm black and muslim.....some ignorant people might assume that my name is link to terrorism......but i can't change that or myself....i will continue to sweep regardless of what people might think....i just wanted to get people's opinions about this topic so please don't get offended and please continue to respond...this is an open forum for everyone's opinions...thank for everyone's response:smile11:

I know someone who's name sounds like a terrorist, but it hasn't stopped him from running for President!

lifesfun
January 25th, 2008, 11:42pm
Legally they can't.

Debberly
January 25th, 2008, 11:43pm
I know someone who's name sounds like a terrorist, but it hasn't stopped him from running for President!

:clap: I'd pull out my poms poms, but it would be frowned upon considering this isn't the political forum.

tupik3702
January 25th, 2008, 11:44pm
Names like:

Mrs. Loser
Mr. Pettifile
Mrs. Druggie
Mr. Forgetaboutme
Mrs. Nobody

Yes, names like this would make one wonder....:rolleyes4

feta
January 26th, 2008, 12:07am

I believe they can & 'Do' do this but who knows just a hunch I have

SWEEPS1
January 26th, 2008, 12:14am

I have an 8 letter Italian last name, and people butcher it all to heck. Adding letters, leaving out syllables....

I bet that my last name is why I can't win anything. They don't wanna have to attempt saying it. :laugh:

Well I have a 6 letter Italian last name that gets butchered only half the time, but still no wins here either - LOL

playwanda
January 26th, 2008, 12:24am
I think they pick a winner by zip code or state more than anything else.

I DO TOO !!!!! When Pepsi was giving away those 50 car 50 days promo (i think).I don't think i saw a pin for NC area on the winner map.:bhead::mad3:
Or maybe it's just because of my small town zip...:frown5:

GeekBearingGifts
January 26th, 2008, 2:47am
Are there any laws regarding judging agencies? I mean as far as someone not connected with the agency being present when the winner is drawn to make sure there's no monkey business.

Isn't that why the sponsors hire JAs? The JAs are the unbiased third parties. They get paid the same no matter what names they pick.

gemini lion
January 26th, 2008, 6:39am

I remember seeing a story on one of the news shows (sorry, forgot which one) that showed how people with names like Shawana, or some of the other names given to African American kids were sometimes a detriment.

They did a poll on employers and resumes to see which they would pick for a job and the African sounding names lost out a great deal of the time.

I was just talking about this with a friend of mine who's daughter is going to have a baby and she picked out a bunch of African names.

It is horrible but it does happen that people are discriminated against because of thier names.

CheckedOut
January 26th, 2008, 7:12am
it could happen for a variety of reasons - not liking the name (if it seems "ethnic")
not liking a gender or an age for some kind of "demographic specific" sweep (even tho
the rules say anyone over 18). i think with the bigger names, their sweeps are probably
regulated pretty well, handled by experienced sweep companies so it doesnt happen.
but with smaller, more localized ones that handle it themselves, its entirely possible.

think about on here with MOCs - its just a person doing a randomizer (supposedly) -
they could be picking their friends, or passing over someone who ticked them off in
the forums, lol....

you just never know.....

duknuk
January 26th, 2008, 8:00am
maybe they do like certain names ...

remember the sweeps where 26 of the winners had extremely similar names?

(j/k - referring to cheaters.)

sissy76
January 26th, 2008, 8:20am
I don't know about names...but on a big trip win a couple of years ago I heard one of the sponsors promotional people telling a girl who was about 20 that she was picked because they wanted more young people on the trip. Now I don't know how much this person had to do with picking people but thats what he said to her.

Luana2sea
January 26th, 2008, 8:28am
I think age.

I would say NO. to the names.

Just look at winer list's I see all kinds of names that cross the board of the world.

Dave W.
January 26th, 2008, 8:51am
I think this happens less than people think.
Many sweeps now are drawn randomly by computer. The computer doesn't care if your name sounds funny or is hard to pronounce, sounds like a serial killer or a terrorist.
I would guess the people don't care much either. Their job is to draw a name, award the prize and move on.
Same with zip code or area- I don't think they care that much. Whoever wins, wins.

I'm not saying unfair drawings NEVER happen, just that sponsors and agencies have reputations to uphold and don't want to be seen as unfair. People do get caught. Remember the McDonald's Monopoly game a few years back?

Sweethart79
January 26th, 2008, 9:04am
I have a 14 letter ethic AND intimidating last name...I wonder if thats why I rarely win any "drawing" prizes and moreover why I never win anything that requires notification via phone :shock:

or maybe its because I dont enter enough :sherlock:

I'm not complainin...I do just fine on the instants :cheer3:

LUCINDA574
January 26th, 2008, 9:04am
I saw frist hand how one JA pulls names, trust me, if they are using a drum/bin, they just pull an entry, it has nothing to do with how "ethnic" your name sounds! With other contests they are all entered in to a computer base and a number randomly generated...I dont think there is as much cloak and dagger as one might think....

shoelessjoe
January 26th, 2008, 9:13am
What kind of question is that?

You can't be serious! .. :offwall:

LadyCat
January 26th, 2008, 9:27am
If They Do I Can Add It To The List Of Reasons I Do Not Win - I DO HAVE A LONG NAME AND I AM 57 SOMETIMES I DO THINK AGE MATTERS They Can Do Whatever They Please AS FAR A SMOC I HAVE TO AGREE SEEMS THE WINNERS ARE THE SAME NAMES OVER AND OVER I GAVE UP ENTERING EXCEPT THE CELEBRITY APPRENTICE

lillaniegirl
January 26th, 2008, 9:29am
were choosen before a panel of people. I think it's more official for big prizes. :bakecake:

InterplanetJanet
January 26th, 2008, 9:45am

I am not sure about LAST names, but many African Americans have unique first names or change the spelling to make it unique. I love African American names

When I was picking baby names for my children, the BEST baby names book I had was the one based on Heritage. There were all sorts of first names, Hawaiian, Jewish, African, Italian, French, Etc. What I liked best was the names were cross referenced for variations.

All the same - first or last - a sponsor could make an assumption of a name and discriminate but I think that would be rare. Reputable companies or large JAs would never dream of doing this I would guess.

Gunther512
January 26th, 2008, 11:09am

Your last name is "Old Milwaukee" ?????? :laugh:

fancyschmancy
January 26th, 2008, 11:28am
Or maybe it's just because of my small town zip...:frown5:

Now see my thought on a small town zip would be a bonus for them to give prizes to. One it would put that place on the map. Two it would show people that they too can win if they enter. I've often wondered this about Publishers clearing house. Are the winners always in suburbs of big cities?

chaching
January 26th, 2008, 11:49am
I won a prize last year worth under $200.00. I still haven't got it.i faxed them a response October 19 and as of today, nothing. I really think some of these companies are cheap!! I emailed them and told them that I think they are running a SCAM. I even had to fill out tax forms for this prize and I am still waiting for it. IT REALLY SUCKS.

chaching
January 26th, 2008, 11:52am
Ok so what is round doorknobs. Is that a military or sweeper term. I like it but what does it mean.

inspiringmind
January 26th, 2008, 12:00pm
My name (married) was one of the Donner party! And I win quite a bit! It is also a famous last name for some people who came to America in the 1600's.