PDA

View Full Version : Spider-Man 3 first prize, opinions wanted

BarBvee
January 25th, 2008, 10:35am
I hope I'm not sorry asking for your opinions, please don't be too harsh.

I won the custom framed black and red swatches with an ARV of $1500. When I received the prize, both swatches were black and, in fact, there is a tag attached to the back of the picture saying both swatches are black. I contacted e-prize to tell them the problem. The sponsor's response was that I got one red and one black swatch (they must think I'm color blind). I sent pictures of the swatches and tag on the back that says "both black". The last (and final, according to eprize) offer was to reduce the ARV to $1000 because that is what the sponsor says is the least amount these items have sold for at auction and now the sponsor suggests I shine a light on the swatches because one is dark blue and the difference is hard to see with the naked eye. Trust me, these swatches are both black no matter what light or angle you look at them.

From the tone of e-prize's last response it seems like resisting this offer is futile.

What would you do?

BentonWesley
January 25th, 2008, 10:48am
I'd accept the lesser ARV. They pretty much can cover themselves because they do state "Sponsor reserves the right to substitute an item for something of equal or lesser value". They can say they substituted the black for a red.

Nickyle
January 25th, 2008, 10:53am
No idea what to do but here is a closed eBay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Framed-Authenticated-Spiderman-3-Costume-Swatch_W0QQitemZ150206482739QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60345QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) for a framed swatch and it didn't even sell for $150.00 (reserve not met). Does this look like yours?

If you can find one that has sold you can claim FMV on your taxes, keep all proof.

jolee62
January 25th, 2008, 10:59am
What the heck is a swatch? A piece of fabric?

yellowsnider
January 25th, 2008, 11:02am
What the heck is a swatch? A piece of fabric?

yes. Hopefully you can get a lower arv.

BarBvee
January 25th, 2008, 11:06am
No idea what to do but here is a closed eBay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Framed-Authenticated-Spiderman-3-Costume-Swatch_W0QQitemZ150206482739QQihZ005QQcategoryZ60345QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) for a framed swatch and it didn't even sell for $150.00 (reserve not met). Does this look like yours?

If you can find one that has sold you can claim FMV on your taxes, keep all proof.

Mine looks similar to that except it has two swatches one on top of the other.

dopey
January 25th, 2008, 11:07am
I'd accept the lesser ARV. They pretty much can cover themselves because they do state "Sponsor reserves the right to substitute an item for something of equal or lesser value". They can say they substituted the black for a red.

It's usually equal or greater value, I've never seen lesser.

JCORNELL745
January 25th, 2008, 11:12am
huge spiderman fan here...congrats...and sorry about the color issues...

BentonWesley
January 25th, 2008, 11:13am
It's usually equal or greater value, I've never seen lesser.

Whoops! That's what I meant to type. (I need more coffee)

Jennifer
January 25th, 2008, 12:23pm

You found my eBay auction! I don't really have any plans to sell it right now because it is collectible, but I put this test auction up with reserve pricing so I could see what it COULD fetch. As you can see, hardly anything. Somehow I knew it wouldn't sell for anywhere close it's supposed ARV.

I won the 3rd prize single swatch of fabric. The ARV is supposed to be $500, but i'd like to know where they got that ARV from. With everyone I've talked to, collectors, and running a reserve auction on eBay, this thing won't fetch more than $200.

ePrize probably won't budge much because there are only a limited number of these available and they probably don't have another one to give out, so I would say settle for the reduced ARV, even though it is seriously inflated. When the Spiderman movie came out, maybe it could fetch the $1500 ARV, but right now, you probably aren't going to get more than $500 for it in value... if that. If it was a piece of fabric from a very good part of the body, then and only then will it sell for it's value. Typically the neck, hands, chest, and head are the only really valuable parts, and those parts that have other things on them like spiders or something else.

There is a seller on ebay called "hollywoodvault". This seller sold tons of these when the movie was hot not that long ago. Only the "good" pieces sold for their ARV, so if you can use this as proof, go for it, I plan on it. Go here: http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=hollywoodvault&ftab=AllFeedback and if you scroll through his feedback you will see similar auctions for both red & black swatches and ones like my single swatch. There are also high value pieces, but you shouldn't compare your piece to those.

deesbree
January 25th, 2008, 3:02pm
arv$ 1000 for a piece of material? :shock: