PDA

View Full Version : big win question

LuckyDucks
January 24th, 2008, 3:32pm
ive noticed many times that people dont post big wins tillafter they get them or its confirmed by fedex/ups that its comin or notarized?
if i got a call or email id be right on here braggin lol can it hurt your entry if you brag? is it like a rule that you have to wait till you have it or totally know that its yours?

mnicemomma
January 24th, 2008, 3:34pm
If you don't want the possibility of it being taken away from you, you do.........

ThinLizzy
January 24th, 2008, 3:40pm
Until the paperwork is finalized you are the "potential" winner. It's one of those "don't count your chickens 'til they hatch" kind of things.

wishful
January 24th, 2008, 3:41pm
I always ask when I can tell everyone. So far they've all said that I tell immediately. Sure wish I would win something big so I could brag right now! :clap:

lakegirl25
January 24th, 2008, 3:46pm
share my excitement with people who I know understand! It isn't to brag, it is because not everyone gets this hobby and how hard it is to actually win, let alone win the Grand Prize, and that is the main reason for my posting my wins.

I also think people like to know that there actually is a winner, and that their entries are not just going into cyberspace!

I always enjoying reading about when people win, and I hope everyone will continue to share their good fortune in the future!

GLTA!! :fairy2::fairy2::fairy2:

theolotto
January 24th, 2008, 3:46pm
nothing is certain until you have your win in hand. no one wants to jinx it by announcing their win and then finding out it either was a mistake or not what they expected.

birdpix
January 24th, 2008, 3:50pm
Since I love reading other peoples wins as inspiration, i'll usually blab right away on most of my wins once the paperwork is in hand and returned as it's fun to share with others who understand the thrill and what goes into it...:wink3:

BUT for the pair of HOF wins (my firsts) that came one right after another last fall, I kept it very hush-hush until every "i" was dotted, "t" was crossed, and I was officially declared a winner which took several weeks just to be safe. Those were some of the longest, hardest weeks of my life - I was dying to shout it out here the whole time as I was so overjoyed.:pinkie:

LuckyDucks
January 24th, 2008, 8:35pm
thanks for the replys ya'll :-)

baroness-1
January 24th, 2008, 8:44pm
I get so excited I tell a just enough but not everything until the paperwork is submitted and I get the official congrats you are the winner letter or phone call.

One time someone told before they were officially announced the winner and someone called the sponsor and the prize was taken away from them. I do not want to have that happen to me nor anyone else.

:nono:

GLTA

TawnyNY
January 24th, 2008, 8:48pm
When I won my first big win-a trip to Disney on an instant- I was shocked. It said winner when I spun the wheel but I thought I just won one of the lesser prizes-- Care Bears. I was screaming out of my chair when I saw "you have won a trip for four to Walt Disney World".

I needed advice right away, I didn't know if it was for real or the game was just yanking my chain so I did go on to the board I was a member of and told everyone, "'uh, I think I just won a trip to Disney on an instant what should I do now"? Everyone was fabulous and gave me advice about what I should expect. It was from Eprize, so about a long half hour later, I got the email saying I won providing approval.

So the first time I won something big, I did announce it before I even sent out the affy and no one tried to sabotage my win. Nowadays, I don't announce it before and sometimes I don't even announce it when everything confirmed. Not cause I'm leary of anyone, I just know what to expect and well, after many trip wins and grand prizes I'm not so excited to share like I was when I was a newbie.

toddvb
January 24th, 2008, 8:51pm
Until the prize is in my hand I have not won anything.

lalise
January 24th, 2008, 9:11pm
When I won my first big win-a trip to Disney on an instant- I was shocked. It said winner when I spun the wheel but I thought I just won one of the lesser prizes-- Care Bears. I was screaming out of my chair when I saw "you have won a trip for four to Walt Disney World".

I needed advice right away, I didn't know if it was for real or the game was just yanking my chain so I did go on to the board I was a member of and told everyone, "'uh, I think I just won a trip to Disney on an instant what should I do now"? Everyone was fabulous and gave me advice about what I should expect. It was from Eprize, so about a long half hour later, I got the email saying I won providing approval.

So the first time I won something big, I did announce it before I even sent out the affy and no one tried to sabotage my win. Nowadays, I don't announce it before and sometimes I don't even announce it when everything confirmed. Not cause I'm leary of anyone, I just know what to expect and well, after many trip wins and grand prizes I'm not so excited to share like I was when I was a newbie.

Wow, can you send some dust this way, please, pretty please!:yesyes::wink3::yesyes:

HappyHusky
January 24th, 2008, 9:21pm
I wait until it's confirmed because there are a lot of folks here who get jealous and who wouldn't stop at anything to keep someone from winning. Soooo, I wait until it's confirmed. Even so, I'm sitting on a major win announcement that's been confirmed but that I won't announce until after I'm back from the trip. :)

TNrina
January 24th, 2008, 9:38pm
In the past there have been jealous people who have contacted the sponsor and undermined the winner and the prize.
Some people, hard as it is, keep the win to themselves until it is in their hand. Some ask for advice without giving the details.

Iona256
January 24th, 2008, 9:39pm
I'm sitting on a big win myself. Definitely I wanted to post the minute I got the e-mail. Why didn't I? Well there have been a few posts about lost HOF's. I'd hate to become one of them. So even though the affy has been sent and received, I'm still waiting to post. It takes a long time to go from being a "potential winner" to being an actual winner. Why take chances.

LuckyDucks
January 24th, 2008, 9:56pm
wow i didnt really think that anyone could take a win from you once youve been choosen, thanks for the heads up!

kimbih
January 25th, 2008, 9:24am
Sitting on a HOF here too :offwall: It's killing me waiting to tell but I'm not taking any chances of losing it until after everything is all done. I forgot who it was that lost a big prize b/c they posted about the win before it was final, but it always stuck in the back of my head.

ogayle56
January 25th, 2008, 9:37am
In the past there have been jealous people who have contacted the sponsor and undermined the winner and the prize.
Some people, hard as it is, keep the win to themselves until it is in their hand. Some ask for advice without giving the details.

How can they undermine someone, if they are actually the winner?

By saying you are a winner before the win is confirmed, is that a reason to be DQ'd?

Judithlh
January 25th, 2008, 12:33pm
You just never know when something unpredictable will happen before that win is in your hand. Things get lost in the mail.

One of my big wins, they e-mailed me. I was estactic, a great big HOF gift certificate! But then, when I called to inquire about the paperwork, the lady said, "Oh dear, FedEX cannot find you and has just called us to let us know your address is not legitimate." So, FedEX was just about to return the affidavit undelivered, back to the sponsor or JA, that very day. I reassured the lady that the address she had was indeed correct, and I had lived in the same house for 35 years, and I would pop around to the FedEX depot and pick up the letter myself.

Wasn't nearly so sweet and kind when I got to the FedEx depot. Suggested that i could buy them a city map. Probably wanted to suggest a few other things.

Anyway, am now really careful to not share too much about really good fortune until I get a confirmation that the affy and all necessary papers have arrived back at headquarters and everything is in order. And then that the check, GC, or trip arrangements are in my hands.

The FedEX driver who currently delivers is Mario. He likes to see if I won anything really cool.

Pansy
February 7th, 2008, 12:01am
How can they undermine someone, if they are actually the winner?

By saying you are a winner before the win is confirmed, is that a reason to be DQ'd?

If you do a search you can find several reasons and stories about this.

wannarun
February 7th, 2008, 12:12am
What really bugs me is that people could be so jealous that they'd do whatever it is they can to have the winner dq'd!! So sad.

stockpilesrus
February 7th, 2008, 12:16am
Unfortunately, there are definately (putting it politely) Trouble-makin'-Whiners in every group & this one has a few as well. MOST the gang is awesome here, but the trolls do come out of the shadows sometimes just to cause drama. Don't risk your win with a select few jealous trouble makers, please. Wait until it's confirmed & until then -- Congrats, can't wait to hear about it, you sound really excited :)

ogayle56
February 7th, 2008, 12:37am
If you do a search you can find several reasons and stories about this.

I wouldn't know where to begin to search. But thanks for the heads up!

stockpilesrus
February 7th, 2008, 12:53pm
further details here: http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/showthread.php?t=654557

sascha_b
February 7th, 2008, 1:31pm
And to the two posters who are keeping HOF's under their hats....

CONGRATS!:toast1:

Now I understand your hesitancy, but I still can't wait to hear. How exciting! I'll be looking for your names in the HOF thread.....:eyebrow:

mgals
February 7th, 2008, 1:39pm
Probably best to wait, only I never can.

stockpilesrus
February 7th, 2008, 1:48pm
Probably best to wait, only I never can.

I know what u mean :sing:

cindycb
February 11th, 2008, 4:54pm
I love to hear when others win! It just reinterates how cool this hobby is! But I would not post a win until all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

charliebuck
February 11th, 2008, 5:23pm
countem when you got em in your hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clever::clever::clever::clever:

Zagnut444
February 11th, 2008, 5:33pm
:cheer7::cheer7:Sitting on a Hall of Fame too, but not sure if I'll be posting it, havn't decided yet...But I'm SOOO happy I really did want to tell people the second I got the phone call!! On one hand I think most people like to see the big winners, on the other hand there are those that cause problems. I'll probably end up posting it because I'll be so excited to share it with SOMEONE!