PDA

View Full Version : I think I won, but will probably have to decline

wrxrob
January 23rd, 2008, 2:52pm
I just received a call today from "Touchdown Experiences", saying I won their contest for 3 free nights for the Super Bowl. Great! until I look up the sweepstakes again, and realize that the contest is only for the hotel room, no transportation, and most importantly, no super bowl tickets.

Not sure what I should do here. I just received the voicemail maybe 15 minutes ago. Should I call to see if the prize can be substituted? or just let them know to give it to someone else.

here are the official rules
1. Must be 21 years of age and have lawful access to the Internet with a valid email address.

2. No purchase necessary to enter or win. Only one entry per contestant. In the event of a dispute, Touchdown Experiences will deem each entry to have been submitted by the holder of the email account from which it was sent.

3. Prize cannot be redeemed for cash or substituted for any other items by the winner. Prize cannot be assigned. Touchdown Experiences reserves the right to substitute a comparable hotel (if necessary) of like or greater value. Winner is responsible for transportation to Phoenix, game ticket, and any and all other incidental expenses incurred. Prize consists of room and tax only for three nights.

4. Winner agrees to permit Touchdown Experiences to post winners name and residence city on its web site.

5. Winner will be announced on Monday, January 21, 2008 and winner will be notified by email or phone.

what should I do?

Also, for the record, this would be the first contest I've won from using OLS.

**Jennifer**
January 23rd, 2008, 3:00pm
I guess I'll be the one to ask.

Why did you enter it if you knew you wouldn't accept it if you won?

I would decline quickly so the next person in line could make plans.

denyse_g
January 23rd, 2008, 3:01pm
See if they'll substitute- If not, decline.....

wrxrob
January 23rd, 2008, 3:01pm

I guess that's what I get for not reading the fine print. :(

I can't find the sweep thread on OLS (don't know how to search expired sweeps), but I'm sure I thought the contest included tickets to the super bowl.

lifesfun
January 23rd, 2008, 3:02pm
Gee, that would be some experience now wouldn't it. What if there are no tickets available to purchase for the super bowl. :frown2:

I guess you're suppose to watch it from the hotel tv. Sorry, this just struck me as funny. LOL.

Tonysopranogirl
January 23rd, 2008, 3:03pm
Well everyone makes goofs so don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
I am posting just to say what the heck kind of superbowl prize is that without the darn tickets??? I could maybe...........see the transportation but come on.......very sad.
Hope it works out.

dopey
January 23rd, 2008, 3:04pm
What fine print? LOL

Prize: 4-day/3-night hotel accommodations at the Hampton Inn in Phoenix, AZ, from February 2-5, 2008 during Super Bowl XLII [no transportation or game tickets].

shoppinqueen
January 23rd, 2008, 3:05pm
Pambanter is away in NYC on a trip she won.... count that as your big win for this day :)

I'd call and decline ASAP so they can contact another winner.

sandyk
January 23rd, 2008, 3:06pm
Here's the contest:

Touchdown Hotels - 2008 Super Bowl XLII Hotel Contest

1x per person | home page | 10 notes [2 stars] link
Prize: 4-day/3-night hotel accommodations at the Hampton Inn in Phoenix, AZ, from February 2-5, 2008 during Super Bowl XLII [no transportation or game tickets].

official rules archive | Open to residents of the U.S. 21+

expires Sunday, January 20, 2008Submitted 6/26/07
Search Relevancy Score: 4.77

I remember seeing it and thinking it was odd that it didn't include tickets to the game!!!!

floomper
But this is a good example of reading the rules before you enter..........and win. There are so many regulations and rules with trip wins with regards to what is and isn't included and who you can and can't take with you. I've seen so many threads regarding trip wins where there are issues that the winner wasn't aware of because they didn't read the rules.
Just my 2 cents.

For the record, the prize seems pretty lame to not even include tickets to the game, since it is a Super Bowl contest.

Good luck.

lifesfun
If it's hampton inn maybe they'd let you use the hotel nights locally and just enjoy the pool there.

feelinlucky
January 23rd, 2008, 3:07pm
What fine print? LOL

I did not enter this contest when I read that.

goodthunder
January 23rd, 2008, 3:08pm
Even without Superbowl tickets it could be a short but nice vacation trip, but not if you can't afford the other necessary expenses of a trip. The sooner you let go the sooner someone else can get it and use it. Hope you win something you can use soon to make up for it.

irishlass226
January 23rd, 2008, 3:11pm
I saw that too and actually said to my hubby what an odd prize. I would hate to be there with all those people and not get to go to the game.

Good Luck.

infinitybean
January 23rd, 2008, 3:12pm
Oops!
No biggie, you goofed.
Hope you win something you can actually use soon!

angelfish
January 23rd, 2008, 3:14pm
Well everyone makes goofs so don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
I am posting just to say what the heck kind of superbowl prize is that without the darn tickets??? I could maybe...........see the transportation but come on.......very sad.
Hope it works out.

No kidding. Heck I can go sit in a hotel room on the day of the superbowl and watch it from there. No tickets? So in other words, all he won was a hotel room stay? Sorry, but what a goofy prize.

jooliepoolie
January 23rd, 2008, 3:14pm
start entering sweeps for airline tickets :laugh:

durberville
January 23rd, 2008, 3:17pm
I remember that one too....thought it was very odd prize. (didn't enter for that reason). BTW, just heard that SuperBowl tickets are going for $4400 apiece right now. :shocked3:

LUCINDA574
January 23rd, 2008, 3:17pm
Pambanter is away in NYC on a trip she won.... count that as your big win for this day :)

:rofl3::rofl3:

wrxrob
January 23rd, 2008, 3:19pm
Even without Superbowl tickets it could be a short but nice vacation trip, but not if you can't afford the other necessary expenses of a trip. The sooner you let go the sooner someone else can get it and use it. Hope you win something you can use soon to make up for it.

I've already checked airfare, which is pretty outrageous to fly out there and back home during any day surrounding the super bowl. I even tried doing Wednesday to Wednesday rather than Friday to Monday.

Fri-Mon: airfare $3,340
Wed-Wed: airfare $1500

superbowl tickets, minimum $2,650 each (from their site)
http://www.touchdownhotels.com/ResultsTicket.aspx?evtid=739262&event=Super+Bowl+XLII%3a+New+England+Patriots+vs.+New+York+Giants

So at a bare minimum for 2 people, I'd still have to spend at least $6,800 to get the full experience including the prize

no thanks. I'm an idiot :beye:

Globug_47
January 23rd, 2008, 3:32pm
I saw this sweep and passed on it also because it didn't include tickets to the SuperBowl. I mean, seriously...... why enter if you can't go to the big game?

This is the second trip win to the SuperBowl posted in as many weeks that the winner has declined.

I have to wonder why the heck people are even entering these if:

1. They can't take the trip on short notice. It's not like the date isn't known in advance before you even enter the sweep. Shoot.... they're even posting the date for the next SuperBowl in Tampa already.

2. They don't read the rules and find out that there is an expense involved in the trip like transportation costs.

Whomever said that OP's biggest win today was PamBanter being on vacation, was exactly right. She would have a field day with this one.

Folks.... think twice when entering for trips like this. Read the rules. If you cannot take the trip on such a short notice..... DO NOT ENTER. Please.... don't deprive someone else on a trip that they could take because of a selfish need to enter anything and everything.

Go ahead and flame me for my attitude on this, I can take it. But as a football fan, I get a little irritated over posts like these.:worry:

Pansy
however please don't ask for a substituted prize. That just makes sweepers look bad. Decline and move on to a prize you do want, can use or afford the taxes on. Sending you good vibes for more wins.

kelmist
I can't help but wonder if the sponsor KNEW that whoever won would probably end up declining because of the issue of getting tickets and airfare at short notice. They might be HOPING to make a substitution to a lesser priced hotel....... I would imagine that the hotel rate during the Super Bowl is outrageous!

Anyway, it can't hurt to try to get a substitution.... the worst that will happen is they will say no and you will decline. Good Luck!

Oh...and don't worry about what others may say about you entering without reading the rules...... it's hard to read ALL the fine print on every single sweep...... and now you know what to look for on trip sweeps!

Tonysopranogirl
January 23rd, 2008, 3:36pm
I saw this sweep and passed on it also because it didn't include tickets to the SuperBowl. I mean, seriously...... why enter if you can't go to the big game?

This is the second trip win to the SuperBowl posted in as many weeks that the winner has declined.

1. They can't take the trip on short notice. It's not like the date isn't known in advance before you even enter the sweep. Shoot.... they're even posting the date for the next SuperBowl in Tampa already.

2. They don't read the rules and find out that there is an expense involved in the trip like transportation costs.

Whomever said that OP's biggest win today was PamBanter being on vacation, was exactly right. She would have a field day with this one.

Folks.... think twice when entering for trips like this. Read the rules. If you cannot take the trip on such a short notice..... DO NOT ENTER. Please.... don't deprive someone else on a trip that they could take because of a selfish need to enter anything and everything.

Go ahead and flame me for my attitude on this, I can take it. But as a football fan, I get a little irritated over posts like these.:worry:

I am not flaming just want to point out this OP seems like a newbie who made a mistake.
Compassion .........understanding.........the OP probably feels bad enough without the added Sisterspanksalot routine.......

Globug_47
January 23rd, 2008, 3:39pm
I can't help but wonder if the sponsor KNEW that whoever won would probably end up declining because of the issue of getting tickets and airfare at short notice. They might be HOPING to make a substitution to a lesser priced hotel....... I would imagine that the hotel rate during the Super Bowl is outrageous!

Anyway, it can't hurt to try to get a substitution.... the worst that will happen is they will say no and you will decline. Good Luck!

Oh...and don't worry about what others may say about you entering without reading the rules...... it's hard to read ALL the fine print on every single sweep...... and now you know what to look for on trip sweeps!

What "fine print" are you talking about?

It's listed right there with the prize info that you read before you even enter the sweep. It's not like you had to click on the official rules link and then scroll down a page and actually read anything. Look... my sympathies are with OP but he/she didn't even read the prize description before they entered this one. :worry:

sallykay
January 23rd, 2008, 3:42pm

I would decline quickly so the next person in line could make plans.

Oh, blah da dee blah blah; you didn't HAVE to ask. I absolutely hate when people say this. I roll my eyes, and I just plain don't like it. Sure, you can ask, & I can comment that I think it's rude.

Unless I could get to the hotel easily or it it would fit into my plans, I'd cancel. If it was me who won, I couldn't go anyway now because I have an injured leg.

secular
I guess that's what I get for not reading the fine print. :(

I can't find the sweep thread on OLS (don't know how to search expired sweeps), but I'm sure I thought the contest included tickets to the super bowl.

Decline and hope another OLSer can go. And next time read the fine print! :yesyes: :uhoh: :doh:

dopey

There was no fine print. If the person that submits the sweep or the editors are nice enough to post the information along with the prize, then we should make a minimal amount of effort to read it.

JesterPester
I think the whole point of this sweep was for people that already had tickets to the game. I am sure that is it very hard to find a hotel during the Super Bowl and prices would be really jacked up because of it.
I don't think the sponsor expected the winner to find tickets and transportation on such short notice.
I agree about not asking for a substitute prize. It states right in the rules you quoted in the first post, no substitutions. Asking would be tacky to say the least.

Globug_47
January 23rd, 2008, 3:43pm
I am not flaming just want to point out this OP seems like a newbie who made a mistake.
Compassion .........understanding.........the OP probably feels bad enough without the added Sisterspanksalot routine.......

OP's been a member for 2 years. When are you not considered a "newbie"?

Like I said, I'm sympathetic to a point with OP. But all you had to do was read what you were actually entering for and they wouldn't be in the position that they are now.

I'm sure that it'll be a lesson learned.

Oh.... and "Sisterspanksalot" was my nickname in high school. How'd you find out about that?:grin3:

sallykay
January 23rd, 2008, 3:43pm
If it's hampton inn maybe they'd let you use the hotel nights locally and just enjoy the pool there.

Hey, that's a good idea & worth a try.

mytrn2wn12
January 23rd, 2008, 3:45pm
Never hurts to ask for a substitution prize, the worst they can do is say no and pick someone else anyway.

Globug_47
January 23rd, 2008, 3:45pm
There was no fine print. If the person that submits the sweep or the editors are nice enough to post the information along with the prize, then we should make a minimal amount of effort to read it.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way!

Folks.... there was no fine print on this one. Nope... no hidden conditions, terms, etc.

*Harriett*
January 23rd, 2008, 3:52pm
Don't feel bad because it happens to the best of us. These things happen. Would of, could of, should of ... Oh well you did not read the rules. You just learn to be more careful next time. Count it as a lesson learned.

Just decline it and move along. I am sure you have more wins coming along.

But if you decide to decline, do it ASAP so that they have a chance to offer it so someone else.

Sorry you didn't have the tickets so that you could enjoy "the experience"

Dave W.
January 23rd, 2008, 3:53pm

I love it!

Sisterspanksalot.

While I agree about reading the rules, I thinking scolding the poster after the fact doesn't really help the situation.
"Leave it to someone who can use it" --- with no airfare and no tickets included, who would that be? Obviously someone wealthy and/or close to Arizona.
Many times sweepers enter thinking "I'll worry about that when I win it". I'm guilty at times. Who knows? Between entry and drawing you could win lots of cash or airline tickets from somewhere else.

Having won a trip to the Super Bowl last year I can say it is a fun atmosphere with or without tickets. The city is buzzing with excitement and lots of activities are happening.

harley1
January 23rd, 2008, 4:00pm
Trust me, EVERYONE makes mistakes. I just posted a sweep thinking that it was an online entry and it was a snail! NO BIG DEAL. Don't let anyone flame you on this. Good luck to you in the future! :magic:

wrxrob
OP's been a member for 2 years. When are you not considered a "newbie"?

I joined in 2005, but quickly forgot about this site, until late 2007 when I thought it would be a good idea to check around for the eleventy billion sweeps that end on 12/31. I've been hooked to the daily entries ever since.

So in a way, yes, I am a n00b, and I really wasn't paying attention when I entered this one.

By the way, I called and cancelled. :)

Also.... who is pambanter??

ljs39
:shhh:"Pambanter is away in NYC on a trip she won.... count that as your big win for this day"

I think it is your lucky day! I hope it all works out for you!

Update: I am sorry that it did not have a better outcome for you. You will win another big one soon. Don't let this one make you lose faith in entering.
________
Lori

Globug_47
January 23rd, 2008, 4:04pm
I joined in 2005, but quickly forgot about this site, until late 2007 when I thought it would be a good idea to check around for the eleventy billion sweeps that end on 12/31. I've been hooked to the daily entries ever since.

So in a way, yes, I am a n00b, and I really wasn't paying attention when I entered this one.

By the way, I called and cancelled.

I wish nothing but the best for you in the future.

Maybe a better win will be right around the corner for you.

I really am sorry that it turned out this way for you, I really am.

I just get a little irritated when people don't read what they're entering for. Hopefully you'll have better luck with that next time.

Welcome back to OLS. Hell of a welcome back, huh?:bouquet:

Globug_47
January 23rd, 2008, 4:05pm

By the way, I called and cancelled. :)

Also.... who is pambanter??

PamBanter is like me.... only 10 times worse.:nono:

The the younger "Sisterspanksalot".

carolpie
January 23rd, 2008, 4:13pm
I see you declined. That happens, I mean look at how many sweeps you enter every day and do you really read the details of ALL the prizes or official rules? I know I don't. So if they give it to someone else that's fine and maybe they can use it. It is odd that there are no tickets, tho'.

wrxrob
January 23rd, 2008, 4:14pm
well, thanks for the warm and cold welcomes :toss:

you all are very tame and polite compared to the many car forums out there.

Mamajama
January 23rd, 2008, 4:21pm
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s12/Hammer214/police.gif

The sweeps police patrol these forums.

:welcome:

Globug_47
January 23rd, 2008, 4:45pm

Seriously, I really hope that you get that great win that you love and can accept. Sorry for the rudeness on my part.

Happy sweeping to you and many, many wins!

PS.... there are some premium sweeps that are already giving away prizes to the next SuperBowl in Tampa (2009) that include hotel and airfare. Turn green and enter those! Maybe if you were lucky once, you'll be lucky again!

pearlleemay
January 23rd, 2008, 5:00pm
I made the mistake a loong time ago of entering a sweeps sponsored from TBS that did not include my state and I "won". I really errored and was embarrassed. It does happen. I do not think any one should ask for substitutes ever or cash for a prize. I think that probably irritates sponsors and they are less likely to participate in sweeps again. There are so many less prizes than there use to be.

Anyone can make a mistake. Take it from me. It was a big prize I lost but it was my fault.

pearlleemay
January 23rd, 2008, 5:15pm
I made the mistake a loong time ago of entering a sweeps sponsored from TBS that did not include my state and I "won". I really errored and was embarrassed. It does happen. I do not think any one should ask for substitutes ever or cash for a prize. I think that probably irritates sponsors and they are less likely to participate in sweeps again. There are so many less prizes than there use to be.

Anyone can make a mistake. Take it from me. It was a big prize I lost but it was my fault.

joannak
January 23rd, 2008, 5:21pm
That's a weird contest - no tickets??? Just decline it is my opinion.

littlelulu
January 23rd, 2008, 5:29pm
I made a mistake once and entered a contest that I wasn't qualified to win. It was a big prize and I learned FAST to read the rules better. Boy was a disappointed when I was DQ'd. Hope you get a better win next time!

Scibba
January 23rd, 2008, 5:30pm
maybe you can sell the hotel tickets to someone that is going to the game? I would imagine that hotels are pretty filled up for that time!
You don't need to apologize to anyone for entering - live and learn :) Well, congrats?!? LOL

Globug_47
January 23rd, 2008, 5:42pm
maybe you can sell the hotel tickets to someone that is going to the game? I would imagine that hotels are pretty filled up for that time!
You don't need to apologize to anyone for entering - live and learn :) Well, congrats?!? LOL

I heard on the news that hotel rooms right around the stadium are going for as high as $500 a night. And private homes were renting for as much as $2,000 to $4,000 a night.

Crazy, huh?

Scibba
January 23rd, 2008, 5:44pm
I heard on the news that hotel rooms right around the stadium are going for as high as $500 a night. And private homes were renting for as much as $2,000 to $4,000 a night.

Crazy, huh?

I do believe it - but yeah, it's crazy!

carolpie
January 23rd, 2008, 5:45pm

You are a good sport. Good luck and hope you win something you can really use!

awkward
January 23rd, 2008, 5:46pm
Welcome back to OLS. I hope a great prize for you is just around the corner. :bouquet:

janess
January 23rd, 2008, 5:47pm
Okay now, everyone makes mistakes.

I once entered for some colon wash and thought it was laundry detergent :grin3:

I entered that sweep!!! I thought it was strange no tickets, but I'm okay with going back to the hotel to watch the game :toast1:

Please turn down the prize so someone else can maybe accept it.

I bet they're gonna have a hard time finding someone. Plane tickets are outrageous right now.

Maybe they'll get to my entry :wink3:

GLTA and I hope the OP gets a win they can accept :bouquet:

janess
January 23rd, 2008, 5:51pm

Crazy, huh?

Yep, they had a lady on the news the other night saying she wanted to rent her house for $2500 a night or $15000 for the week. wowza!!!

The city of Glendale is trying to discourage people. They said you needed a business license to do it!!! yeah right, hog wash!

anjasmom
January 23rd, 2008, 5:53pm
I think the whole point of this sweep was for people that already had tickets to the game. I am sure that is it very hard to find a hotel during the Super Bowl and prices would be really jacked up because of it.
I don't think the sponsor expected the winner to find tickets and transportation on such short notice.
I agree about not asking for a substitute prize. It states right in the rules you quoted in the first post, no substitutions. Asking would be tacky to say the least.

:yesyes::yesyes::yesyes:

ksmith47
January 23rd, 2008, 5:58pm
OMG! You made a mistake! You must be human! :shocked3:

Mistakes are never made by me! I'm perfect!:curtsy:

:laugh:

Sorry it didn't work out, better luck next time. Keep at it and you will win.

Good luck!:lang:

bigskwinner
January 23rd, 2008, 6:05pm
yeah I think reading the rules would be one of the first lessons in sweeping, esp if its restricted to an age group, or requires you to do something (like you could win if you can shoot a goal in 20 seconds from a mile away)

goodthunder
January 23rd, 2008, 6:11pm
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s12/Hammer214/police.gif

The sweeps police patrol these forums.

:welcome:

TraydonWins
January 23rd, 2008, 6:12pm

I'm not flaming you (because I think that's rude), but she did say she made a mistake. You know how you read something sometimes and your brain skips right over the important part? Sounds like that's what happened here... sounds like a one time mistake. I'm inclined not to lecture on this one...

Babygirl2
January 23rd, 2008, 6:17pm
Welcome back to OLS. I like you joined...forgot for a year or so and came back and never left since.

Congrats on your win. I think once you weed through the flaming (remember to take it with a grain of salt) you have been given some great advice. If you can't make that trip...and who can blame ya? See if you can use it locally or at a different location at a different time. The value of the prize may then be much lower b/c the cost of the rooms at the SB vs elsewhere, so taxes will be less in that case and so should your 1099...if you get one. I didnt see the value of the prize.

You have learned alot today since you are new so let me teach you a few more unspoken rules here to avoid more flames later on.

If you win something and you cant accept it or are unsure if you should/can...DO NOT post in these forums! This was a newbie mistake so they were easy on you. It can get downright ugly!

If you win a prize and want to know if you can get a cash alternative....DO not post in the forums to ask about it. You will get flamed again.

If you have a question about a win...think long and hard before posting b/c you will get flamed!

Welcome and hope ya win big...just dont post it. :)

tattwo
January 23rd, 2008, 6:18pm
I looked at this sweep and passed on it even though my DS, DIL and grandkids live in Scottsdale. I'd take almost any opportunity to go to Arizona even paying my own airfare.

There is no ARV listed for the prize. What do you think the value of these hotel nights would be? I didn't want to pay taxes on a win where the value of a hotel night was jacked up 10X the regular price.

Crazy, huh?

Mamajama
January 23rd, 2008, 6:24pm
Welcome back to OLS. I like you joined...forgot for a year or so and came back and never left since.

Congrats on your win. I think once you weed through the flaming (remember to take it with a grain of salt) you have been given some great advice. If you can't make that trip...and who can blame ya? See if you can use it locally or at a different location at a different time. The value of the prize may then be much lower b/c the cost of the rooms at the SB vs elsewhere, so taxes will be less in that case and so should your 1099...if you get one. I didnt see the value of the prize.

You have learned alot today since you are new so let me teach you a few more unspoken rules here to avoid more flames later on.

If you win something and you cant accept it or are unsure if you should/can...DO NOT post in these forums! This was a newbie mistake so they were easy on you. It can get downright ugly!

If you win a prize and want to know if you can get a cash alternative....DO not post in the forums to ask about it. You will get flamed again.

If you have a question about a win...think long and hard before posting b/c you will get flamed!

Good advice!

BTW, who would want to win a sweep like this? .... I mean, really?
I wouldn't want to pay my way to go hang out in a city swarming with superbowl fans and I don't even get to go to the game. What a drag.

:nono:

batchicky
January 23rd, 2008, 6:26pm
OH come on..... gimme a break......... I KNOW everyone does not sit and read the rules on every sweep they enter, as far as entering for things you want, yes, I dont enter for prizes I dont want, but do you read all the rules for every sweep bEFORE you enter it.

NOPE

what flamers you are hee hee hee just kidding :)

NightElf
January 23rd, 2008, 6:27pm
I came accross this one and passed - it seemed no good deal, just plain accomodations? naah

on the other hand a local TV station is giving away a superbowl prize w/o tickets...boy I would love to win...and watch the game from hotel room or whereever it will be broadcasted

"Grand Prize Trip for two to Phoenix; including round-trip airline tickets from Los Angeles to Phoenix; Spending cash of $1,000; Two (2) nights hotel accommodations, double-occupancy; and two (2) days compact rental car with unlimited mileage. "

batchicky
January 23rd, 2008, 6:33pm
sisterspanksalot

judge, jury, AND executioner all rolled up in one!

TawnyNY
January 23rd, 2008, 6:49pm
Here's the contest:

I remember seeing it and thinking it was odd that it didn't include tickets to the game!!!!

I heard that the purpose of this is to have hotel accommodation to be in the Superbowl Party area because there's a lot of free stuff going on to celebrate the Superbowl besides being at it. If you can drive there, then I would accept it cause it will still be fun to be part of it.

TawnyNY
January 23rd, 2008, 6:51pm

lol and never post that you ever, ever enter for anyone else or even thought about it!

lol and never ever post that you enter for anyone else or even thought about it!

karattop
January 23rd, 2008, 7:16pm
OH come on..... gimme a break......... I KNOW everyone does not sit and read the rules on every sweep they enter, as far as entering for things you want, yes, I dont enter for prizes I dont want, but do you read all the rules for every sweep bEFORE you enter it.

Speak for yourself. I always read the rules before entering.

dopey
January 23rd, 2008, 7:19pm

Or at the very least look to see what prize I'm entering to win.

GreenMountainBoy
January 23rd, 2008, 7:36pm
Sorry you couldnt accept the prize.

Enter for what you want, whether or not you can accept it or not. You don't have to explain your sweeping to anyone.

iteachkids
January 23rd, 2008, 7:50pm

:grin3::grin3::grin3: That was my thinking too!!! That's why I read through all the posts...just wanted to read Pammy-poos response, lol!

bemiss
January 23rd, 2008, 10:09pm
OP make note to self ... NEVER "POST" YOU DECLINE A PRIZE!! Hell i don't even post my wins anymore..sorry your getting flamed!:rolleyes:

by the way just because OP has been here 2yrs..doesn't mean they know all the in and outs of this hobby....chalk it up as a lesson learned and keep on sweeping!!

wrxrob
January 23rd, 2008, 10:13pm
I'm not flaming you (because I think that's rude), but she did say she made a mistake. You know how you read something sometimes and your brain skips right over the important part? Sounds like that's what happened here... sounds like a one time mistake. I'm inclined not to lecture on this one...

thanks for sticking up for me.

just realized. I wonder if I'm in the minority, being a male on here, LOL.

also for those asking about 1099 values, the same website offered rooms at the same location for $399 per night. So I guess the prize would be worth $1197. However, the sponsor made no mention of paying taxes on it, especially since I declined.

retellingstories
January 23rd, 2008, 10:19pm

:laugh: OMG, almost lost my wine on that one....

cindycb
January 24th, 2008, 12:12am
Since the Super Bowl is in Arizona this year I did not enter any contests with Super Bowl prizes. Most aren't for tickets and why go through the hassle of trying to negotiate for substitute prizes. Next year is a different story :yesyes:

bluenude3
January 24th, 2008, 12:21am
Why not just go and tailgate! Sometimes it more fun than the game. Sorry you had that experience, but lesson learned! Enjoy if you take it!

Simone

snoopy4u2
January 24th, 2008, 12:26am
hope theres many better wins!:bouquet:

Nubbs820
January 24th, 2008, 12:29am
Don't let it get you down. I used to almost enter tons of Canadian only sweeps when they were mixed in the sweep directory. I would stop when it asked for Province or Territory or something along those lines. If I won a recently expired instant that you get to swim with someone.. I think I'll do cartwheels throught the forums saying I turned it down because I entered it once and then read the rules and decided that goggles wasn't worth the chance of accidentally winning the GP that I have no use for. I'm am extremely guilty of entering instants after reading the rules of eligibility and then I enter away and worry about the rest of the rules later. Sue me.

He's a novice just getting his feet wet. Why not give some helpful advice instead of being snide to a person who made a mistake and they stated they made a mistake? Maybe they just saw Superbowl in the title and was entering superbowl sweeps.

Here's a tip though for rule reading.. read eligibility, entry frequency and prizes.. you'll get fast at spotting them in the rules the more you do it and won't spend half the day reading rules to sweeps you're entering. The rest of the rules are usually like agreeing to use your name and likeness, potential winners are subject to verification, any entrant who tries to tamper with the sweep process will be dq'd.. automated entry is strictly prohibited etc etc.. on and on.. they're all basically the same. Some are a lot longer winded than others, but you get the gist of it.

HSXJedi
January 24th, 2008, 12:41am
Holy cow! Haven't read past the first posts - but people are renting out rooms or entire homes for thousands of dollars here in AZ. There's got to be a way to sell that room to someone who will be in Glendale for the big game.

HoneyI'mSweepin
January 24th, 2008, 12:58am
Don't fret over turning this down . It's going to another OLS member that wants it sooo bad . And there are lotttttttts that turn down wins for one reason are another in the OLS group your not the first . Keep entering. You'll Win something you can except . Happy your back..
Good Luck ....

batchicky
January 24th, 2008, 9:20am

Yes, I agree. I definately look at the prize first, If I dont like the prize, I dont enter for it.
I dont try to win, something I dont want to win. What I was referring to was saying everyone does not read the entire rules page before they enter EVERY SWEEP. If you did that you would spend way more time reading than entering. :clap::clap:

dippitydoo
January 24th, 2008, 9:27am
Wonder where the players are staying? Wouldn't it be cool to run into one of the teams lounging by the indoor pool or using the weight room?

Maybe Hampton Inn isn't upscale enough ...

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

country1az
January 24th, 2008, 9:36am
Holy cow! Haven't read past the first posts - but people are renting out rooms or entire homes for thousands of dollars here in AZ. There's got to be a way to sell that room to someone who will be in Glendale for the big game.

I would have to agree with this. I just heard about a friend of a friend who is renting out there home for $1000 for the Superbowl. There is quite a demand, with the 150,000 people expected to attend.

loved1
January 24th, 2008, 9:56am
I enter quite a few sweeps that I may not be able to take advantage of and I make no apologies for it. There are travel sweeps that I may like, but if the prize is awarded 2 weeks before travel date, then my ability to travel will depend upon my schedule, ticke fares, workload, etc., so don't feel bad.

I'm sure the sponsor is prepared for the scenario where they may have to offer this to a few people before anyone actually accepts.

wrxrob
January 24th, 2008, 1:34pm
I enter quite a few sweeps that I may not be able to take advantage of and I make no apologies for it. There are travel sweeps that I may like, but if the prize is awarded 2 weeks before travel date, then my ability to travel will depend upon my schedule, ticke fares, workload, etc., so don't feel bad.

I'm sure the sponsor is prepared for the scenario where they may have to offer this to a few people before anyone actually accepts.

indeed. and I'm sure I'm not the first to cancel. They apparently did the drawing on 1/21, and I was contacted 2 days later.

The company sponsoring this contest also sells super bowl tickets for $2,650 minimum per ticket (all the way up to $240,000!), and packages that include hotel rooms. I sometimes wonder if they were hoping the contest winner would buy a ticket from the sponsor after winning. If I had the money, maybe I would. Still, an end date 2 weeks before the show is quite short notice to get airfare. I'm pretty sure when I signed up I thought this was for the 2009 super bowl. (like the planter's daily sweep that I soooo want to win).

Once again, lesson learned. thanks for everyone's input.

kelmist
January 24th, 2008, 1:47pm

Well said. The winners of so many of these sweeps are chosen long after the sweep ends..... it's very hard to know exactly what your schedule is going to be that far in advance. I won a trip in 2002 that only gave me 2 days notice....and I had to take off a day of work to make it happen. I was lucky enough to have a boss that thought it was great that I won and told me not to worry about the time off. Not everybody is as fortunate as I was.....

TawnyNY
January 25th, 2008, 11:23pm
I had to turn down a trip win to see the Mets play at their Spring training camp last year, and I'm still kicking myself for it. And it was a trip for 4 with tickets to SeaWorld to boot!

It was for a specific weekend the end of March and I was already going to Orlando Universal the next week on a trip win. If I went on both, it would have meant I would have been away in Florida for 3 weekends in a row and couldn't manage the time off from work.

At the time I entered, I couldn't forsee that I would already have another trip win scheduled so close together.

but still kicking myself for not going just for the experience...

termc1
January 25th, 2008, 11:52pm
One didn't even have to open "archives" or the official-rules link to see:

http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/search/?query=Touchdown&db=expired&page=2

HELLO!

You be right, Globug_47! Punishment! Give him punishment!

First the 40 lashes ! Then . . . Off with his head!

ha ha haaaa ha ha haaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way!

Folks.... there was no fine print on this one. Nope... no hidden conditions, terms, etc.

termc1
January 25th, 2008, 11:56pm
Yes, I agree. I definately look at the prize first, If I dont like the prize, I dont enter for it.
I dont try to win, something I dont want to win. What I was referring to was saying everyone does not read the entire rules page before they enter EVERY SWEEP. If you did that you would spend way more time reading than entering. :clap::clap:

See my prior post.

Hey, are really a BAT? That is like SO COOOOL . . . . Are youa fruit bat or a vampire bat, or like a bug-eating bat? Bats are COOOOLLL.

tupik3702
January 26th, 2008, 12:03am
:snap: Nice WIN!

Good Luck to you and yours!

luvey
January 26th, 2008, 12:14am
Sorry you had to turn it down. I hope a nice win comes your way soon! :gvibes:

jafarhie
January 26th, 2008, 4:54am

:twoclap::twoclap:

gemini lion
January 26th, 2008, 5:36am

LMAO!

luchar
January 26th, 2008, 9:27pm
I would be skeptical of whether or not there is some catch of why they are giving the hotel days - it sounds like there is some reason they want you at the hotel - maybe to show you timeshare? I don't know just sounds strange.

littlelulu
January 26th, 2008, 9:45pm
Humans make mistakes. "nuff said."

http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/4.gif

breezytopfarm1
January 26th, 2008, 10:10pm

Way too funny and BUT OH SO TRUE it has gotten worse imho so I don't post too much myself I just lurk and have my laughs....so sorry op that u won and had too decline...I too read info on the sweep don't know why but I missed the part on the tickets saw the no transportation the first time I read it didn't catch it..Caught it when i was showing it to DH and said well thank goodness I didn't enter it when I first saw it...I mean sometimes u read and just skim over something like that cuz it is really weird that there would be no tickets to the game...hope u win something else ......Good luck and keep on sweeping

pambanter
January 26th, 2008, 10:20pm
I'm here and here's my take on it.

I believe that you should enter for everything you want, that you qualify for, and that you are willing to pay the taxes on.

I believe there will be many times you may have to turn down a win. For instance, say you have reached your big win tax liability threshold. I mean, if it is cash, then of course, but say it is another vacation?

And what if you won two trips to the Super Bowl? You would have to turn down one of them.

But I do have a problem with people that enter for something they didn't even want and then try to squeeze a cash alternative out of the JA. I think that gives all sweepers, and especially entries that originate from OLS, a bad name.

There are so many sweeps to enter, why waste EVERYONE'S time by entering for things you don't want?

If you don't know the PRIZE you are entering for, then have you even bothered to check to see if you qualify?

I believe there are many reasons to turn down a prize, but no reason at all to not even bother to GLANCE at the sweeps listing to see who, what, where, when, and how.

koala
January 26th, 2008, 10:25pm
Don't worry, you're not missing out. I live in the area and The Hampton Inn is definitely not a luxury hotel. Now, if this included tickets, I would stay there!

easagredo
January 26th, 2008, 10:41pm
I know you said you turned it down already, but I have to wonder....

Why would you ask about requesting a substitution when the rules you posted yourself CLEARLY state "no substitutions". Do you read ANYTHING???