PDA

View Full Version : Those of you with UPS boxes

khristal23
January 21st, 2008, 11:11am
Do these work well for your sweepstakes hobby? I am in the unfortunate position that I cannot have a mailbox at my physical address and this causes me all kinds of problems as far as sweeping goes. I have a PO Box but lots of times they are not permitted. So I was thinking of renting a box at the UPS store. Apparently every delivery service can deliver to it and it's like having your own private street address. I noticed it's a little pricey though.

So, does it work well for you? I'm trying to decide whether or not to get one.

tweety6561
January 21st, 2008, 11:44am
I used one for a while while I was in transit, and it was ok. Of course, I didn't win anything during that time so can't say on that end, but I did receive packages from all sorts of carriers with no problem. You're right, they're pricey, and to cut that cost I found a place (local store, not UPS but same principal) that didn't require deposits and was cheaper monthly, but you had to go during their store hours to get your mail. I wouldn't do that again because they closed at 6, half day Saturday, closed Sundays, and I just couldn't conform to their hours. Plus, if the employee didn't know me I'd just say box 123, and they would hand me the mail! I could have been anyone, they didn't know. Did not like that at all. The UPS store wanted a key deposit, several months paid up front, but you get 24 hour access to your own mail, which is how I would go if I had to do it again.

fromtheheart66
January 21st, 2008, 11:58am
If items are shipped by UPS or fed ex they will not deliver to po boxes. Most prizes I got do come by ups/fed ex. Most sweeps ask for home address.

janess
January 21st, 2008, 12:04pm
I'm sorry I do not have an answer for you, but I am interested in the replys you get.

GL

donnav07
January 21st, 2008, 12:18pm
I use a UPS box. I get all my prizes delivered there. I don't want stuff sitting on my doorstep if I'm out of town for several days. It is not considered a p.o. box. A box at a store like UPS is called a postal mailing box. I get stuff from the postal service and all the delivery services with no problem. When I won a large gas grill last year, I explained to the judging agency that due to mail theft worries I used this address as my mailing address. Since the prize I won was larger and was actually delivered by a freight company from the back of a semi, I gave them my home address and it wasn't a problem with them. If I remember right it was D.L. Blair.

I originally started using a UPS box when my husband was in the military and we moved frequently. The store from the old city would forward all my mail (at my expense) to the new city and when a reasonable amount of time passed I would close the old box. It was always worth it to me as my prizes were worth more than the amount I put out for the box.

Also, my address is written with the building number and street address and then #284. I don't use pmb (postal mailing box abbrev) because there are too many people that think these are p.o. boxes.

Hope this information was helpful to some of you.

Donna

birdpix
January 21st, 2008, 1:50pm
Also, my address is written with the building number and street address and then #284. I don't use pmb (postal mailing box abbrev) because there are too many people that think these are p.o. boxes.
Donna

Isnt it now a LAW that you must use PMB if your having mail sent to a place like UPS box?

I thought I recalled seeing a couple years ago something that made that into a federal postal law due to so much mail fraud with the old "suite #" scheme used for UPS store boxes...

donnav07
January 21st, 2008, 10:36pm
Not aware of any law to have to use PMB. I write my address the way the store had it written on my paperwork. I would think if it's a problem someone would have said something about the way it is addressed. As I said, I get mail there and things from the delivery services. If there was a problem I would imagine the postal service would call attention to it.

Donna

luckylucy
January 21st, 2008, 10:46pm
I have a box at a box rental place. It's a street address - NOT a P.O. Box and Yes, you do have to put PMB XX after the street address. It's great! All deliveries go there! I'm in a big apt complex and during the holidays people's packages were taken when left out and in front of doors.

Willow
January 22nd, 2008, 4:42pm
I lived in a small town where everyone had a PO Box, we didn't have home mail delivery. I always put my street address and then Box, 248. I never had a problem getting wins. I never used the PO in front of the box number.