PDA

View Full Version : Do you learn or benefit from sweeps advertising?

Lorren
January 20th, 2008, 4:48pm
I've noticed that since I started sweeping, I'm finding out about all sorts of movies and books that I otherwise wouldn't have heard of.

Since I have a Tivo, I usually fast forward through all the commercials. I never have a clue about what movies are coming out or anything like that. Since I started sweeping, I'm hearing about movies and it gets me interested in them.

I have "Life After People" or whatever set to record on Tivo tomorrow as a result of contests that I've seen advertising the show. I've learned about a lot of other companies that way too.

Although a lot of times they don't get any money from me, I'm more interested about products that I've seen while sweeping. Anybody else?

bigskwinner
January 20th, 2008, 4:52pm
no not really
i tend to enter for dvds or books that i would really like to watch (buy) but not for things just for the sake of winning
theres tons of things i like and need so i enter alot of sweeps

so advertising by sponsors means very little for me as i know in reality they get a huge tax rightoff when they file income tax on the cost of the sweep

GeekBearingGifts
January 20th, 2008, 6:37pm
We fast-forward through commercials, too. I've put movies on my Netflix queue, and books on my PaperBackSwap wish list after seeing them while sweeping. I also find a lot of recipes and coupons when entering. Sweeping wouldn't take me so long if I didn't end up exploring while I'm doing it...

When a sponsor gives me a prize, I'm grateful, and I'm more than willing to keep using (or try) their products. So what if they get a tax write-off?

Judithlh
January 20th, 2008, 7:25pm
I try to look for products because of the sweeping advertising, especially in the grocery store and try something at least once. I have adopted new brands because of it. Have never been particularly brand loyal, but will favor one if it is as good as what I was going to buy anyway.

About 6 months ago, maybe a yr. ago, Goya offered something that had me entering daily. Tried a few of their products, and have found they are an excellent value. Funny thing about Goya, they are often in a separate. brand specific area in the grocery, and from one store to the next, they don't always carry the same products; so, I check out what's available whenever I go to a different store.

robsterclaw
January 20th, 2008, 7:31pm
I've learned about many new products to try because of sweeps. And with most things being equal, I'll buy a product that runs sweeps over a product that never runs sweeps.

trendmaven
January 20th, 2008, 7:38pm
I've found new magazines to subscribe to by contests listed here.:grin3:

ironbutterfly
January 21st, 2008, 10:24am
I purchased a light fixture from bellacor, who ran a sweep i entered

ninjamom
January 21st, 2008, 10:43am
Absolutely! I've learned about cool new products. Even ones that have been around a while, but I wasn't familiar with before. If I see something interesting, I explore the website further.

Another thing is that I am a very good judge of websites - design, advertising, content. I've seen hundreds, maybe thousands!

And let's not forget the forums:yesyes:! I've actually found out about breaking news here first!

dovie
January 21st, 2008, 10:54am
I've learned about many new products to try because of sweeps. And with most things being equal, I'll buy a product that runs sweeps over a product that never runs sweeps.

Ditto for me. We have discovered a favorite new artist - Jasmine Beckett - Griffith whom we buy from because if there is a contest for artwork I will explore the site to see if I am interested.
Also Ziploc recently ran a sweep for their new sealer thingy that works like a vacuum sealer which I was considering buying. I told my daughter about it and she got me one for an early Christmas present and it works fabulous. Saved me a couple hundred dollars because so far I am very pleased with it and am telling everyone I know.
I love trying and learning about new things, this is a great way for me to do it without window shopping and being major tempted to pick up every little thing I see, if I see it in a sweep and I am interested I will hunt for reviews before I shell out the $$$.
For people like me, I think sweeps are a great marketing tool and I will support the companies that have them whenever possible.

anjasmom
January 21st, 2008, 11:01am
Absolutely, you would almost need to have blinders on to miss all the great products and websites that we encounter by sweeping. :love:

Maineiac
January 21st, 2008, 11:58am
My favorite "new find" was the L'Occitane samples that came in the Oprah tote win. My mother and I both now use their Precious Cream. :wink3:

sunnyshone
January 21st, 2008, 12:15pm
All the time! I have bought and tried SO MANY new products that I found out about because of sweeping!

pancak
January 21st, 2008, 1:37pm
I love hearing about new products or new (to me) sites through sweeping. It also keeps me up-to-date on upcoming movies, events, etc. I have won from several sites and gone back and ordered items from them later, like for Christmas. I also make a point of telling others when I find a good product or site, so they are definitely getting their advertising "bang for the buck" through people like me who enter their sweeps! Keep 'em coming!

suelee000
January 21st, 2008, 1:41pm
I just bought some ink cartridges from a place that had a sweeps. They asked on the order page how I found them. I let them know that I found them by entering a sweep.