PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you won the HGTV tropical dream house??

AMFLYER7
January 20th, 2008, 3:22pm
What would you do if you won the HGTV Tropical Dream HOuse?

Midknighttim
January 20th, 2008, 3:23pm
Sell it FAST.....

Right after I went and took all the furnishings out of it!!

sallykay
January 20th, 2008, 3:26pm
Oh, man; I've only entered one time. I'd sell it for any number of reasons, one of which is I wouldn't want to live in an area with restrictive covenants.

dewer421
January 20th, 2008, 3:28pm
I'd have my whole family down for a vacation and then take what I want from the house and sell it.

bjdotson
January 20th, 2008, 3:30pm
I'd have my whole family down for a vacation and then take what I want from the house and sell it.

Perfect answer. This is what I would do

sissy76
January 20th, 2008, 3:30pm
Sell it...
I would put the money I got from the sell into a retirement fund and pay off my car.

Karaz
January 20th, 2008, 3:32pm
A big part of me would want so badly to try to keep it because it's always been my dream to have anocean front home. But learning from previous HGTV dreamhome winners, I too would just take a family vacation there and then sell it quick keeping the furnishings for myself.

bidred73
January 20th, 2008, 3:37pm
I would enjoy the view and comforts for a week and then place it on the market. After it sells, a bigger house for our family would be divine!!

Lorren
January 20th, 2008, 3:37pm
I'd sell it too.

They pay for you to go to visit your house, so I would go on the vacation to go see it. Good idea about taking what you want out of the house. I guess I'd do that too.

I'd invest in a lot of gold right now... I'd buy enough gold to fully fund a comfortable retirement. I'd pay off my debts (including my house), and then I'd buy or build my own, more modest, dream house.

After my modest dream house was built, I'd sell the house I live in right now. That way I wouldn't have to worry about dealing with a buyer while currently living in my house. It'd be a lot easier to get this place uncluttered and show-worthy if there is nobody living in it.

Good luck to all that are entering!

judyv01510
January 20th, 2008, 3:38pm
I am 61. Sell it and spend or give away it all.

msheathere
January 20th, 2008, 3:45pm
I'd sell it too! But, I'm curious, why aren't they offering the extra cash this year to help with property taxes, etc?

Does anyone know the legalities of this? Would one have to pay taxes immediately upon receiving home?

I wonder if it would take months to sell in this market?

I also had a funny thought? Since predictions for global warming indicate certain areas such as the keys may be underwater by at least a few feet in the next 50yrs, are people less inclined to purchase waterfront? Especially if the house isn't on stilts!

SweepingBeauty
January 20th, 2008, 3:46pm
sell it and use the money to fix up my home and take vacations to WDW annually

maningrida
January 20th, 2008, 3:47pm
I'd sell as fast as I could because, in a few years, it will be seriously threatened by rising water. Then, I'd go build way up in the Snowy Mountains of Australia, way above the rising tide line.

My son thinks I'm mad, but he'll appreciate having a house to go to in the future when he's flooded out on the coast in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia!

Yeah, I believe in global warming -- I don't care what you may believe is causing it. It's happening.

HoneyDo
I'd live in it while it was for sale.
I love to fish and never fished out of California.
Well I did fish in VeitNam a couple times and japan a couple times.
What me or wife liked we would keep.
So I'd get 2-3 months of great fishing.
Take the money and buy a house by river close to Ocean
The best of the fishing WOOT
Miles

ravengoth
I would sell it right away!

kittyhello72
January 20th, 2008, 4:01pm
SELL SELL SELL......

after I took out all the electronics, the doggy house, the car and some of the linens. I wasn't too jazzed with the style this year so not much else would be taken.

abonuses
January 20th, 2008, 4:02pm
Wonder what we would have to pay in taxes on this house?

MemeGirl
January 20th, 2008, 4:04pm
Sigh, sigh, sigh!
I want so badly to live there in the Keys in that Dream House!
But no way a normal everyday person could afford to live there. I'd probably have to do the family vacation thing and also take what I wanted from it and then sell.
I was also wondering about the taxes - if you have to pay immediately and why on earth they are not offering the cash this year. It's the most expensive Dream House ever, they must know that most people who would enter this could not afford to actually live in it.

jeepers
January 20th, 2008, 4:05pm
Sell it. It's not my style at all.
Actually, as much as I like Florida, I probably wouldn't want to live there.

eddyzip
January 20th, 2008, 4:06pm
:toast1:Yupyup, a great one week vacation to oooh and aaah over the house. While I was there, I would contact a reputable local real estate agency, and sell that baby to fund retirement and a new house. Twould be the sane decision to make.

luckylady1744
January 20th, 2008, 4:08pm
sell!!!

Kohinoor
January 20th, 2008, 4:10pm
I would have to spend a month in it first and then sell it! It definitely would pay off all my debts and then I would be able to buy a house I could afford. The taxes would be out the roof to own a place like the HGTV home. I think most everyone that has won the house in the past has sold it or ended up in some serous financial problems.

samf36
January 20th, 2008, 4:10pm
I would have to enter 1st them I would sell it. I love where I live and can afford the taxes and upkeep.

mamma7
January 20th, 2008, 4:11pm
Sell it FAST.....

Thats exactly what I would do.

SaneDough
January 20th, 2008, 4:18pm
I'd take the furnishings that I fell in love with, if any...

and then I would sell it.

ooohh...I might have a snog (or more) in one or two of the cooler rooms first...:shhh: but don't tell the potential buyers!

diesel51
January 20th, 2008, 4:23pm
The home owners insurance alone in a hurricane area would be high. I might buy some lottery tickets to see if I could keep the house, but I guess in the long run or in this case the short run sell before the income tax is due.

mrssquigg
Sell it FAST.....

I've been saying that for the last couple of years. I would do exactly that!

irishknight
I think it would be partytime then to the auction block..

richjw1
January 20th, 2008, 4:28pm
I would have to sell it because I'm just too poor to keep it.

katz88
January 20th, 2008, 4:33pm
sell it in a heart beat... ocean front property goes fast here in Florida... anything on any type of water sells like crazy... then it's off to the mountains for me!:toast1:

nikkik
January 20th, 2008, 4:37pm
sell it!

greenfish214
January 20th, 2008, 4:39pm
Yep, sell....and as fast as possible.

HSXJedi
January 20th, 2008, 4:43pm
I would have to spend a month in it first and then sell it! It definitely would pay off all my debts and then I would be able to buy a house I could afford. The taxes would be out the roof to own a place like the HGTV home. I think most everyone that has won the house in the past has sold it or ended up in some serous financial problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HGTV_Dream_Home

Most of the Dream Home winners have sold their prizes, largely because of the accompanying tax bills, and as of 2006, only two winners had lived in their houses. The most recent, 2005 Lake Tyler winner Don Cruz, initially planned to keep the house after having his plan to rent out the Dockhouse and Master Bedroom Suite on a nightly basis rejected by the City of Tyler; however, he decided to sell after receiving tax forms showing the house had a higher value than he originally thought.

--------------------------

I believe the man who won last year is still living in the home in Winter Park, Colorado. He is an older man who was a widower. He got remarried and they moved into the home after their honeymoon.

HSXJedi
January 20th, 2008, 4:45pm
I'd sell it. If it was located somewhere else I'd consider keeping it - but not Florida.

PAbound
January 20th, 2008, 4:48pm
Pay the taxes & keep it for a second home where SO & I could enjoy with our famlies & friends!

Eventually sign it over to the kids...grandchildren.

konnor
January 20th, 2008, 4:49pm
I'd take all my family down there for a wonderful vacation, then sell it!!! Wouldnt that we wonderful!

kinchst
January 20th, 2008, 4:53pm
I would definately sell it, but not before I had a huge party with all my family and friends. I would also take what I wanted from the inside, pack up the car, and head home!!

implode
January 20th, 2008, 4:58pm
would have to sell it immediately of course, I would hope HGTV people know enough about it so I didn't get totally screwed over. I'm assuming previous sellers probably had to take a huge loss on the property in order to sell if quickly. My goal would be hopefully to still have half a million (quarter value) + vehicle/furnishing after taxes. Invested properly it would return a nice enough chunk of interest so I would never have to work long hours ever again.

SASE
January 20th, 2008, 5:21pm
I'd faint. :yesyes:

:grin3: Then I'd sell it and move my family to a larger paid for home.

Jeans2Tux
January 20th, 2008, 5:22pm
I'd sell my home to pay for the taxes and move into that beautiful dream home. It would be my home for at least a couple of years and if I really like it I'd stay until they pull the house keys from my cold blue fingers, haha.
:cheer3::cheer3::cheer3:

Lisa4Christ
January 20th, 2008, 5:24pm

That is exactly what I would do. Then I'd buy a much less expensive home here in Louisiana.

jmsutton64
January 20th, 2008, 5:29pm
Sell it and buy something functional. I don't like the layout at all.

anny31
January 20th, 2008, 5:40pm
if you wanted to stay in the house at all youd have to take out insurance on the place. at that price it might be alot..?

id sell. fla is too far from my folks.

bomar97
January 20th, 2008, 5:41pm
I would put it on the market right away, but while it's on the market, take a vacation in it and offer the relatives the vacation too.

skyy38
January 20th, 2008, 5:57pm
I wouldn't even go for it because the housing market is flatter than Keira Knightly.

:wink3:

AMFLYER7
January 20th, 2008, 6:04pm
i live in south florida now and the property taxes are way too high and insurance is at sky rocketed prices......so i would empty the house completely and sell it , then invest my money wisely...... the average person with the an average income would not be able to afford the annual property taxes, plus insurance, plus utilities,....its just not practical and their are barely any jobs in Key West.......yea so as soon as i get that key after fainting i will already have a realtor .....

Jboy74
January 20th, 2008, 6:09pm
Does this sound like a good Idea????

Investment property =)

Here is what i would do, I would go down and spend a nice long vacation with my family and friends. I would contact some realestate offices and see about renting it out to people on vacation. I am guessing a house like that could rent for $3,000 to $4,000 or maybe more a week during peak season which is just about all year in the keys I would say you could make enough before taxes are due next year to pay the taxes on the house and have a chunk of change left over. If i could rent the house out for 10 weeks during the year for $4,000 a week, thats $40,000 a year income =) Now minus taxes , realestate fees , upkeep etc i could see clearing $30,000 a year easy just. I think renting it in this way would pay my house off in just a few years and then i would use the income to buy a new house in my area and keep the dream home and use it as a good source of income. Does this sound like it would work? I am not realestate person but it sounds like i feasable plan =)

If anyone wins the house and uses my idea could you invite me and my family down for a week or two? My wife and I have always wanted to go to the Keys.

dianemarie63
January 20th, 2008, 6:09pm
Take a nice long vacation in the Keys and then sell the house.

GeekBearingGifts
January 20th, 2008, 6:13pm

Yep, me too!

Wonder what we would have to pay in taxes on this house?

Yes. Big time! Probably about 30% of the ARV, due April 15, 2009.

would have to sell it immediately of course, I would hope HGTV people know enough about it so I didn't get totally screwed over. I'm assuming previous sellers probably had to take a huge loss on the property in order to sell if quickly. My goal would be hopefully to still have half a million (quarter value) + vehicle/furnishing after taxes. Invested properly it would return a nice enough chunk of interest so I would never have to work long hours ever again.

HGTV recommends that winners get good advice from tax professionals. They also say that winners have "options" which usually include selling the house back to the developer within the first year. I'm sure you could do the deal on the publicity trip when HGTV flies you out to take possession. Get a lawyer and an accountant to look over the paperwork, starting the day you get word you're the winner. Since it is advertising and publicity for HGTV and the providers of the furnishings, etc., they don't care what you do with it, and they expect people to sell.

flbeachbum
January 20th, 2008, 6:13pm
For me, it would have to be a vacation home because I don't want to live in the boondocks right now. There is a 2 lane highway from Miami to islamorada (really to Key West) and everytime we go to or from Key West, we get stuck behind slooooow 18 wheelers. Drives me crazy!
Hurricane insurance is necessary and hard to come by down here so it's hard to decide.

I really want the house - otherwise I would not enter for it!!!!

girlsmith
January 20th, 2008, 6:15pm
I'd sell it b/c I wouldn't want to live in Florida. If it was anywhere else, I might just keep it.

GeekBearingGifts
January 20th, 2008, 6:29pm
Here is what i would do, I would go down and spend a nice long vacation with my family and friends. I would contact some realestate offices and see about renting it out to people on vacation. I am guessing a house like that could rent for $3,000 to $4,000 or maybe more a week during peak season which is just about all year in the keys I would say you could make enough before taxes are due next year to pay the taxes on the house and have a chunk of change left over. If i could rent the house out for 10 weeks during the year for $4,000 a week, thats $40,000 a year income =) Now minus taxes , realestate fees , upkeep etc i could see clearing $30,000 a year easy just. I think renting it in this way would pay my house off in just a few years and then i would use the income to buy a new house in my area and keep the dream home and use it as a good source of income. Does this sound like it would work? I am not realestate person but it sounds like i feasable plan =)

Unfortunately, not all winners have had that option. Among other things if the home is in a planned unit development, etc., the CC&Rs sometimes don't allow the kinds of business arrangements you're proposing. The winner of the Tyler, TX house had a very strange situation. He decided to keep the house and live in it, and has gotten into serious financial trouble because he couldn't start a bed and breakfast, or sell off part of the property--the land actually belongs to the city, and they said no to his proposals. The house went up for auction earlier this month because he couldn't pay taxes, utilities, etc. on his property.

If I won and the developer didn't want the house back (worst case scenario), I'd put it on the open market, and [B]if the situation permits it, rent it by the week till it sold. I understand that the market for houses of this quality is actually pretty hot in Florida, though the rest of the market is in a slump.

tupik3702
January 20th, 2008, 6:35pm
DH says that he would like to attach Pontoons to the house so that when the "GREAT GLOBAL FLOODING STARTS", we can simply float away.

You don't need Flood insurance for a "HOUSE BOAT" :cruise:

mlminwilm
January 20th, 2008, 6:41pm
Enjoy it for a week, take everything removeable out and sell it, and then put the house itself up for sell.

vegas1
January 20th, 2008, 6:42pm
I would sell it. I wouldn't like dealing with the hurricanes down there. :worry:

Globug_47
January 20th, 2008, 6:47pm
I would sell it. I wouldn't like dealing with the hurricanes down there. :worry:

Yup..... that's why I live in the desert!

I'm pretty much like everyone else when it comes to what I would do if I won the HGTV home.

Spend a week as a vacation in it and probably another week in it just to do an inventory of it contents.

Then as quickly as you could say "Margaritaville!", I would sell it back to the developer (minus any and all furnishings that I might like).

I really wish that HGTV would give us a dream home where it really was feasible to afford to live in it with no mortgage. Now that really would be a dream home, wouldn't it? :wink3:

CatLover
January 20th, 2008, 7:00pm
Sell it, of course. I couldn't afford to do anything else, in any case. I have to guess that it wouldn't be hard to sell at close to the asking price. The flat housing market is in the middle range of homes, not the high or low end. And, of course, there's a certain cachet to owning this particular house that would appeal to some people with $$.

venus_de_milo
January 20th, 2008, 7:15pm
Sell it in a heartbeat. I have no desire to live in a multi-million dollar home, nor do I want to live in Florida.

I would probably also sell my current home, and use the proceeds from both sales to fund a newly constructed home on land in my city, which I can't imagine would cost more than $350,000 (house and land)--that leaves a lot left over to fund our retirement. :D

patty4899
January 20th, 2008, 7:50pm
I already live in Central Florida so I'd vacation in it for a week then off to the sales floor.

ResourcePress
January 20th, 2008, 8:08pm
Enjoy it for a little while, sell it, and give thanks for the big win.

jaklackus
January 20th, 2008, 8:16pm
Sell it ..the whole kit and kaboodle...no plans to set foot in it after the photo ops..I am going to guess that whoever is willing to buy it wants it 'intact' ..just the way HGTV wanted it to be...furniture...frames..toilet paper on the roll...lol.

I don't even want to thing about insurance..never mind property taxes. I would take whatever was left over to fix up the house I'm in now(I need to hire a handyman to finish what my handyman husband started cause he's too busy with everyone else's houses to finish his own)..then we would sell or rent this one out and buy something a little bigger and pay it off in full right off the bat.

bvinton
January 20th, 2008, 8:19pm
Sell it and remodel my TPee out in Wyoming,the buffalo have wallowed around and made a mess of the firepit.A new robe or two for my floor& get a new bow and arrow set(solid gold of course). Probabally make a walkwayand new tpee ring out of silver. :shocked3::toss:

Glojean
January 21st, 2008, 3:57pm
MOVE !! I love Islamorada, it's beautiful. GLTA !

216amyc
January 21st, 2008, 4:16pm
I would sell it!! It might be a nice place to visit, but I would never want to live in Florida year round and I can't afford to have property that I can only visit half the year at best.

jellosheriff
January 21st, 2008, 4:21pm
We'd sell it, of course. It would make for a nice family vacation spot until the sale went thru.
I'm not in love with any of the furnishings, so I'd be happy to list it furnished or unfurnished and have them sell whatever is left.
Of course, DH would get the new car. :yesyes:

Diesels Blitz
January 21st, 2008, 4:21pm
I'd keep it! I would loooove to live there. I'd invite family to come down whenever they wanted. I would also keep the option open of allowing people to rent it.

braveheart
January 21st, 2008, 4:24pm
I would love to stay there and make it into a bed and breakfast and dog daycare, and massage studio to pay for the taxes. If that is too expensive then I would sell it and then start my own business with the money, and buy a nice place to live for ordinary people.

marelsa
January 21st, 2008, 4:30pm
I would visit it, and then put it right on the market there are so many nicer places at much lower prices that I would love to have, the $$$$$$$$$$$$ from this would set me up for the rest of my life.

mickeyirish69
January 21st, 2008, 4:32pm
Gimme a S gimme a E gimme a L L !!!

yellowsnider
January 21st, 2008, 4:35pm
Does this sound like a good Idea????

Investment property =)

If anyone wins the house and uses my idea could you invite me and my family down for a week or two? My wife and I have always wanted to go to the Keys.

You can't rent it out. All the dream houses have stipulations that you can't rent it out and you can't turn it into a business like a bed and breakfast.

I woul gladly sell!

babykangacamp
January 21st, 2008, 4:37pm
Remove the furniture and sell it. I hope one of us here has to worry about it :)

MomofCourtney
January 21st, 2008, 4:41pm
I would visit for one week - just enough time to sell it back to the builder. Take the car and check and head back home to New Hampshire!

Have you seen the layout? The pool will be right in front of the home - you'll lose that gorgeous view of the ocean.

obxhatteraslight
January 21st, 2008, 4:42pm
Soil myself. Second sell it fast!!!!!!

missflirt1968
January 21st, 2008, 4:42pm
i can't enter:sob::sob::sob:....i work for Jeld-Wen....we provide the windows and doors

elittle2004
January 21st, 2008, 8:08pm
I would live in it for a brief time (no more than a month) and then I would sell it. After I sold the house, I would then move back to Indiana.

htg20
January 21st, 2008, 9:26pm
Sell the house and probably the car. Take the $ and run!

The Seahorse Lady
January 21st, 2008, 9:29pm
Pass out first, call my lawyer and sell that baby. I think I would have to spend at least a week or two playing in the house first.

txblessings
January 21st, 2008, 9:33pm
Give it to a company that would allow it to be used as a day home for seniors to stay and be taken care of by qualified professionals.

Tricia316
January 21st, 2008, 9:35pm
I would have my family visit and BUY what they wanted out of the house from me at bargain prices and then put it on the market fast!
Tricia

beatjunkie
January 21st, 2008, 11:06pm

same here

gonz78
January 21st, 2008, 11:19pm
sell

jus_like_honey
January 21st, 2008, 11:25pm
Sell it FAST.....

That is an excellent idea! In addition to that, I would definitely take a vacation there before I sold it!

Embee
January 21st, 2008, 11:39pm
Poop and then sell! :yesyes:

rooster385
January 21st, 2008, 11:40pm
Sell the house and buy me one of them fancy double wide mobile homes. Kidding bout the double wide, but would sell that house and use the money for fixing up this one. Gold plate it, maybe.

Miki
January 21st, 2008, 11:44pm
I would honestly have to sell it. :yesyes:

bluenude3
January 21st, 2008, 11:59pm

Same here. Always been my plan. That and I would haul away everything I wanted w/ the GMC. :cloud9:

Simone

TraydonWins
January 23rd, 2008, 6:29pm

DITTO!!!

chilizilla
January 23rd, 2008, 6:43pm
Find a rich guy to marry to help me take care of it and pay the taxes:curtsy:

elainmir
January 23rd, 2008, 6:50pm
I'd have to sell it after I vacationed in it and took out all the furniture I wanted. I have no use for a house that big..I don't care for the color scheme either......

deesbree
January 23rd, 2008, 7:13pm
Call my sister( Realestate Agent) and tell her to drop what shes doing I have a job for her. Sell my new house!!!

MRatt
January 23rd, 2008, 11:01pm
I'd sheit myself first. After cleaning self up I'd go there make a HUGE carbon footprint to irritate the loonies who believe it will be buried in water from "global warming" and sell it to Al Gore who profits off said loonies by selling them carbon credits.

MistyNoMore
January 23rd, 2008, 11:12pm
Move.

patti31556
January 27th, 2008, 5:25pm
I would take car and anything in the house that would look good in mine. THEN SELL

The Cruz's finally sold theirs!
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/realestate/5453752.html

Bassoon2
January 27th, 2008, 5:31pm
sell it.

butlori
January 27th, 2008, 5:52pm
I wonder if you could get around the restrictions by selling it to a group of family members who have created a company for the purpose of owning investment property, then rent it out as a vacation rental through the company. Don't even know if that would cover the taxes, insurance and upkeep though (don't forget that, as a vacation rental, you get to pay all the utilities, maintain the landscaping and all that good stuff).

So, I'd probably loot the place and sell, sell, sell - after a nice vacation of course.

teenybellesmom
January 27th, 2008, 5:55pm
I would see how much I could rent it out for, since it is a vacation house, it might make enough to pay its own taxes then I could visit when I wanted a vacation.

not_again
January 27th, 2008, 6:10pm
What a great home:offwall::offwall:

flbeachbum
January 27th, 2008, 6:35pm
Ok, there are a WHOLE lot of peeps here that give GP winners a hard time when they don't accept the prize because they couldn't afford taxes, etc. OR, if the winner didn't REALLY want the prize but entered anyway. So, maybe you all should not enter for a prize you really don't want or could not afford?
Just sayin' !!!!:grin2:

lifesfun
January 27th, 2008, 6:38pm
Ok, there are a WHOLE lot of peeps here that give GP winners a hard time when they don't accept the prize because they couldn't afford taxes, etc. OR, if the winner didn't REALLY want the prize but entered anyway. So, maybe you all should not enter for a prize you really don't want or could not afford?
Just sayin' !!!!:grin2:

:laugh: Nice try. You want to win don't you.

FreakDuJour
January 27th, 2008, 6:41pm
Take a nice 2 or 3 week vacation in it, take out the furnishings that we wanted, and SELL it.

It's unrealistic to think we could possibly keep it.
Doesn't it come with an automobile? We definitely need THAT.

flbeachbum
January 27th, 2008, 6:43pm
:laugh: Nice try. You want to win don't you.

No agenda, really. I just see so many posts blasting winners who won something they can't afford or don't want.

Yet, the peeps that get so pissed off about it are the ones in this thread admitting they are entering for it but can't afford it, don't want it, will sell it, etc. !

FreakDuJour
January 27th, 2008, 8:41pm
All's fair in love and sweeps...lol

I don't blast anyone- if you win it and can't keep it, there IS that option of selling it for MONEY that I'm sure everyone here needs....so, why wouldn't you enter?
It would be stupid NOT to.

charliebuck
January 27th, 2008, 8:50pm
All the past winners had to sell to pay the taxes. I would sell too. Pay off all my bills and spend some wisely and save or give away some.:shock::shock::shock:

SillyLilly
January 27th, 2008, 8:56pm
I would take car and anything in the house that would look good in mine. THEN SELL

The Cruz's finally sold theirs!
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/realestate/5453752.html

Wow, $550K below assessed value! That's bad!

onevint
January 27th, 2008, 8:56pm
take a morgage on the house to pay the taxes then rent it out to cover the PITI (principle.interest,taxes,insurance) + 10%(for me).

Leftytoo2
January 27th, 2008, 9:13pm
keep the car and a few items from the house I liked, sell it, then pay off my house. I'd then hire a landscape architect and a company to landscape our yard (we have 2.5 acres, no landscaping to speak of yet as it's a relatively new house), hire a local interior designer to help me make the inside of my house nice, buy some new furniture, take my family to go visit my grandmother who has lung cancer and doesn't have a lot longer to live(she lives in Florida--maybe as part of visiting the house before selling?), set up a trust for my kids, invest the rest for retirement.

secular
January 28th, 2008, 12:38am
Take a week long vacation there then sell the home, the SUV, and some of the furnishings. My sister is a realtor and would only take 1%.

Build my dream "GREEN" home here with ecofriendly construction, graywater and rainwater irrigation, solar and wind power and buy a hybrid with some actual MPG.

mommytolili
January 28th, 2008, 12:58am
I'd love to take my family there, but I bet my 16-month-old would make short work of it. I might stay for a week or so and then sell it. I'd keep the car. Don't know if I'd keep the furnishings, would depend. I'd have to sell it, there's no way I could pay taxes on it without selling it.

Then I would buy my parents a house, and myself and my daughter a house nearby. I would buy both my parents and myself a car, free and clear. Whatever was left, I'd probably keep $2k as spending cash so I can actually buy my daughter the things I've been wanting to buy her. I'd sink some money into getting myself started in a home business. Then I'd invest everything that was left in retirement funds for my parents and investments for myself and my daughter.

yadgirl
January 28th, 2008, 1:27am
In my imagination, I'd sell it, build a servant's house behind it, live in the smaller house, and work for the owners.

Jacklyn
January 28th, 2008, 1:44am
I am a family of two. Well, not including the critters:smile11:

I'd probably take my 17 year-old son and his best friend for a weekend on the beach. I'd meet with realtors and decide whether to sell it furnished or unfurnished. I might take a few of my favorite pieces of furniture/decor, but the place is kind of a work of art that could be marketed as such, and sold as-is.

My ideal home is more "log-cabin" style...which I would build with the proceeds. Any left-over monies would go to my very brilliant son's college education!

Jacklyn
January 28th, 2008, 1:46am
In my imagination, I'd sell it, build a servant's house behind it, live in the smaller house, and work for the owners.

OK...I like this idea too...lol:tongue:

andiee1123
January 28th, 2008, 2:00am
I lived in FL for the first 31 years of my life and have no desire to live there again. I would find out if it was better to sell furnished or unfurnished and sell sell sell. I would definately keep the vehicle and sell my minivan. With the money I can't decide if I would build a house or buy one. the rest of the money would be invested.

savygirl
January 28th, 2008, 3:45pm
Would definetly go and see it!!!!!
Take what I could and sell it to pay for my own home that I love.

Porkchop
January 28th, 2008, 3:51pm
Keep it as a family 2nd home for 2 years ( tax purposes), then possibly sell.

Tarah716
January 28th, 2008, 3:53pm
Sell sell sell

linda54
January 28th, 2008, 4:07pm
I too would sell it, I would take what I could, sell it, pay my house off and use what cash I had to fix my house in IL. Then I would pay my car off and hope to have some left over to help my son for when he goes to college. But I too don't enter everyday--that is all it is to me, a DREAM house.

gold77
January 28th, 2008, 4:22pm
Many of the Keys, most of them between Largo & West smell horribly! Its due to a red algae bloom that reduced the oxygen level leading to a fish kill. At times the odor is less noticeable

bwanas
January 28th, 2008, 4:28pm
I would definetly stay a week or 2 move anything I wanted to keep or give to others and then sell it

luckywishes
January 28th, 2008, 4:29pm
I would use it as a vacation home.

AnahsSkcor
January 28th, 2008, 4:30pm
Prob Die of a heart attack, Then sell it LOL

Jennifer
January 28th, 2008, 4:35pm
Sell it! I'd keep some of the contents of the house, the vehicle, and the doggie dream house, but other than that I would put it up for sale ASAP! I'd sell my current home, and buy a slightly bigger but more modest home for about 1/4 the price of the dream home.

No person with an average income can afford to keep a house like that.... that's what happened to that Don Cruz guy. Unless you make enough money to already be living in a house like that the chance is pretty good that you won't be able to afford the taxes, utilities and upkeep!

Phylly
January 28th, 2008, 4:37pm
I just love the idea of taking my family on a vacation before I sold it. I would use the money from the house to buy a condo in Florida that I could afford to keep forever.

coljim
January 28th, 2008, 4:38pm
Sell it.

christian70043
January 28th, 2008, 4:52pm
:)Id sell it ,take my money a buy a home that I could afford with my income.

Judy Jetson
January 28th, 2008, 6:38pm
Sell, come back home and throw a big party, then buy my real dream home.

Suann47
January 28th, 2008, 6:54pm
sell it

fancyschmancy
January 28th, 2008, 6:54pm
Me too... I would sell and move where I really want to move. :jump:

irishjules
January 28th, 2008, 7:01pm
Vacation First, sell it 2nd and then buy last year's dream home in Colorado - that's the one I really wanted. I have family in Florida so I already have a great place there! But Colorado is where I really want to be!

dreamygal
January 28th, 2008, 7:23pm
Sell It as is, intact and all.. and move to Idaho...some little town would be nice :)

kaykohl
February 15th, 2008, 8:21pm
I had a cool dream last week. I dreamt my mother won the HGTV Dream Home. It was a fun dream. In the dream my sons were running around turning on all of the TV and computer screens and there was this film crew there filming us as we walked around the house. There were other people there but I didn't know who they were. Also there were like four or five gift baskets filled with all kinds of goodies that we gave away to some family members. I laughed at that the next morning because I don't have family in Florida but I found out yesterday that two of my husbands cousins moved there about a year ago. In the dream I kept saying OMG! OMG! this is the most awesome house I've ever seen.

Yeah it was a fun dream, but I seriously doubt she'll win it.

TrinaWants2Win
February 15th, 2008, 8:24pm
i would give it away to my friend sherry as its her dream house

Mamajama
February 15th, 2008, 8:34pm
I would vacation in it, take the stuff I liked and then sell. I like my house and where I live - so I'm not going anywhere, lol.:smile7:

jklkj
February 15th, 2008, 8:39pm
I didn't enter.
I truly dislike Florida.

dopey
February 15th, 2008, 8:49pm
I didn't enter it either, I don't want to be on the TV.

julesph
February 15th, 2008, 8:53pm
What do you mean IF, you must have meant WHEN.

littlelulu
February 15th, 2008, 8:54pm
prolly drop dead. I never win:cry2:

mlnii
February 15th, 2008, 8:56pm
sell it........pay-off what I owe....retire......Im 43:twoclap::twoclap::smile7::twoclap::twoclap:

mlminwilm
February 15th, 2008, 9:03pm
Stay a couple nights having sex in every room, remove any and everthing sellable, and then sell the house itself.

gosborne1
February 15th, 2008, 9:16pm
SCREAM first then sell it.

Marinalane
February 15th, 2008, 9:17pm

Me too! :gvibes:

Rapunzel676
February 15th, 2008, 10:29pm
Sell it -- all of it, doghouse included. Car too. I have student loans to pay off. I'd do the promotional thing, but I don't really feel the need to vacation there. Then I'd turn the money over to a financial manager (I'm terrible with money) and live off the interest. I'm a writer, so it would be great to have a steady, dependable income. Of course, I'd also have to move a long way away from where I live now. Blech!

Tonysopranogirl
February 15th, 2008, 10:36pm
I would take all the flat screens, computers and kitchen gadgets out and then sell it !

ljs39
February 15th, 2008, 10:45pm
:hugs:i would give it away to my friend sherry as its her dream house

I think that is the sweetest thing I have read in the forums today. What a great friend and person you are.

______
Lori :twoclap:

LuckyPenny
February 15th, 2008, 10:51pm
Sell.

I don't want to live around hurricanes.

Although it would be tempting.

:cruise:

pinkDaisy
February 15th, 2008, 10:52pm
Live in it happily ever after

this is the first HGTV dream home that is truly MY dream home!

LUCKYLADY43
February 15th, 2008, 11:15pm
Move To Florida And Live Happily Ever After.

tupik3702
February 15th, 2008, 11:22pm
:cheer3:

suziebee20
February 16th, 2008, 2:37pm
I'd scratch my head and think WTH because I never entered the sweep. I never enter for it because even though I know I'd sell it and could get a decent amount of money out of the whole thing, it just seems like too much of a headache for me. Yeah I know that sounds crazy, but the publicity from winning, the work of selling it and making sure we get what we can for it, worrying about the paperwork and then the taxes, family hitting us up for money... I can't take it! :sweat:

msbabypug
February 16th, 2008, 2:52pm
my family would lounge around in it for a week or so, take all the goodies we love from it and put it on the market. As for the market being slow right now, any thing that covers the taxes on it would still be a win in my book.

Karen_246
February 16th, 2008, 2:54pm
Sell it ~ I only entered once, just because :laugh:

gracepap
February 16th, 2008, 2:54pm
Well...since I'm going to win....I have it all figured out. LOL

Go visit it for vacay with my family....then sell it as fast as I could....I would not want to live in a hurricane/flood zone nor could I afford the taxes.....then pay off my debts....and start up a retirement account and help pay for my kids colleges.
:cheer10:

orangebuddy
February 16th, 2008, 3:02pm
Sell it and invest the money in municipal bonds.

Jodimae
February 16th, 2008, 3:09pm

I SECOND THAT MOTION!

JH33194
February 16th, 2008, 3:15pm
I would take the vacation they give with it to stay in the house for a few days and enjoy it like it was a rental home, then sell that baby and enjoy the money!!

Ashook
February 16th, 2008, 3:24pm
Rent it out, use it as a "time share" property,the vehicle would be with us!

clevermelon
February 16th, 2008, 11:21pm
Live in it for a week, pack up a few accessories, then find a really good realtor!

Honestly, who in the world could afford to keep a DH? The taxes would sink almost anyone. I'd rather sell it, make a million or so, then build my own Colorado DH. :ohyeah:

fantome2006
February 17th, 2008, 12:44am
sell it b/c i can't afford to pay the taxes on that thing. i'm sure most people entering sweeps wouldn't be able to either. With the money I make from selling the house, I would try to make more money with it so then I can just retire and do whatever I want and have financial security and never worry about money again.

bbking
February 17th, 2008, 12:55am
I would Faint! Then take my family down for the big showoff, keep the vehicle, what we wanted out of the house and sell it. I would give this little house away to a deserving family, built my dream log cabin on a private lake and retire..probley not in this area though. As if that is gonna happen since I only enter once. Nice dream though.

YMJ71
February 17th, 2008, 12:56am
I would sell immediately. The money I would get with the proceeds I would buy myself a nice modest home and hopefully have a million $ left after paying taxes.

jenssequa
February 17th, 2008, 1:08am
Sell it FAST.....

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!:cheer7::whistle::cheer7:

Fidget
February 17th, 2008, 1:46am
poo my pants

germanyj
February 17th, 2008, 9:23am
Definitely sell it. Not that I could afford to keep it in the first place. I'm not that crazy about this years house so it wouldn't hurt me not to be able to keep it. Good Luck everyone. Hope and OLS'er wins it this year.

Taminar
February 17th, 2008, 9:46am
I think HGTV or the developer will offer to buy back the house, and that would probably be the best option. Insurance and property taxes are crazy high in Florida.

Jodimae
February 17th, 2008, 10:05am
Go there until the first electric bill comes, run like hell and sell it :laugh:
UNLESS
The bill wasn't too bad, I'd try to hang for a while