PDA

View Full Version : Question about sales tax

luvscats36
January 19th, 2008, 6:54pm
Hi everyone,
Ok I need some advice. I won a $500 shopping spree from KidsII online store and while the instructions say I have to redeem it by phone I was playing around on their site to see how much sales tax and shipping would be. Well according to their site if I spend $257.90 my sales tax would be $212.00.
I know this has to be wrong but does anyone know if theres anything I can do if they do try to charge me that much for sales tax? I live in Iowa and our sales tax is 7% and they are out of Georgia and it looks like their sales tax is the same.
I am just shocked that it says the tax is almost half of the value of the shopping spree.
Thanks in advance, Val

tcandy214
January 19th, 2008, 7:00pm
i won that contest also but i am in ny my sales tax was like 100.00 i think sorry

luvscats36
January 19th, 2008, 7:04pm
Thanks Tcandy,
Congrats on your win also, I am going to call them Monday because I'm sure it has to be wrong. Maybe thats why they have you call to order.
Thanks, Val

barb1210
January 19th, 2008, 7:07pm
that sounds way off.. I just went there and it didnt charge me any sales tax

this is from the site

The amount of tax charged depends upon the type of item purchased, and the destination of the shipment.

Items sold by Kids II Inc. and shipped to destinations in the states of Arkansas, California, Georgia, Minnesota, or South Carolina are subject to tax

luvscats36
January 19th, 2008, 7:11pm
Hi Barb,
It didnt charge me any tax either until I created an account so I could see what tax and shipping would be to my address. They won't let me order online anyway but I thought I would at least know what I could order for $500.
Thanks, Val

mrssquigg
January 19th, 2008, 7:23pm
Not real sure, but I always thought you weren't subjected to pay sales tax unless you live in the state where the store is. Could be wrong, but even still that's a ridiculous amount!

barb1210
January 19th, 2008, 7:23pm
Hi Barb,
It didnt charge me any tax either until I created an account so I could see what tax and shipping would be to my address. They won't let me order online anyway but I thought I would at least know what I could order for $500.
Thanks, Val

I did this as well.. I now have an account But it does seem way off..

Your tax should only be 18.05 for that purchase.. Even if you spend the whole 500 it would only be 35.oo in tax..

But internet sales are different than store sales.. I dont get charged sales tax if the company doesnt not have any places stores/ offices ect. in my state..

janess
January 19th, 2008, 7:29pm
My experience with buying things on the internet is.....

You do NOT pay sales tax unless the company you are buying from has stores in your state or are located in the state you reside in.

The amount they are quoting sound almost like a 100% tax. Something is very wrong with their calculations.

Even if they had a store in your area, the tax on $260.00 @ 7% is only $18.20 :worry:

janess
January 19th, 2008, 7:34pm
i won that contest also but i am in ny my sales tax was like 100.00 i think sorry

I would contact them and complain because you also shouldn't have been charged tax :worry:

luvscats36
January 19th, 2008, 7:35pm
Thanks everyone,
I definately think something is wrong with their werbsite calculations. I will call monday.
Val

fastfreddie1959
January 19th, 2008, 7:35pm
The only way they can charge you sales state sales tax is have a legal business in your state.
They cannot collect sales tax from you if they do not have a tax ID-# from your state.
Totatly bogus.
I buy from tiger-direct and they have a business located in this state-FLA.
They can charge me sales tax.
Outside of FLA......they cannont-unless they have a business in another state.:eyebrow:

chancebunny
January 19th, 2008, 7:40pm
I wonder if there could be some technical glitch causing the excessive sales tax that showed up on your order? A couple of months ago I won a gift certificate to a candle site that I was going to use to pay for part of an order. When the shipping cost was calculated, it was outrageously high, more than the merchandise cost. I emailed them and it turned out that they were having a problem with their website, and it was all a mistake (which they fixed).

timinskas
January 19th, 2008, 7:54pm

You do NOT pay sales tax unless the company you are buying from has stores in your state or are located in the state you reside in.

The amount they are quoting sound almost like a 100% tax. Something is very wrong with their calculations.

Even if they had a store in your area, the tax on $260.00 @ 7% is only $18.20 :worry:

Janess, you are correct.

timinskas
January 19th, 2008, 7:55pm
The only way they can charge you sales state sales tax is have a legal business in your state.
They cannot collect sales tax from you if they do not have a tax ID-# from your state.
Totatly bogus.
I buy from tiger-direct and they have a business located in this state-FLA.
They can charge me sales tax.
Outside of FLA......they cannont-unless they have a business in another state.:eyebrow:

FF you are also correct.

elittle2004
January 19th, 2008, 10:56pm
I don't know that much about taxes, but here in Indiana it is 6%. Maybe I don't pay close to attention to the costs when I buy something online, but I don't recall ever being charged for sales tax when I buy something from the Interent (shipping and handling costs only).

Alexandrea
January 20th, 2008, 12:16am

Exactly right! The company sounds rather fishy if they are trying to overcharge sales tax like that, though I suppose it could just be an error.
I am not lucky in that amazon and drugstore.com have stores in WA so I pay sales tax with them. Other stores don't but no matter where you are there's no 40% sales tax that would charge you 200 bucks on a 500 order...guess thats a good reason to call them and try over the phone what they say the taxes are.

luvscats36
January 20th, 2008, 2:11am
Thanks so much everyone,
Its obviously a glitch cuz I signed up my hubby and his is showing no sales tax. I even deleted everything I had in the shopping cart and put one $39.99 item in it and the sales tax was still $212.90 so it's just my account thats messed up. I glad there is no tax cuz I can order alot more items.
Val

tcandy214
January 20th, 2008, 1:16pm
i picked out my items caled spoke to a rep and im almost sure it was like 78.00 but i kept going till i spen 498.00 i think i was so happy to win because i have not won anything in in a while

jus_like_honey
January 20th, 2008, 1:34pm
Whoa, I was just thinking about sales tax yesterday! This is off subject but, I was thinking about how unfair it is that we have to have our income taxed AND that we have to pay sales tax for everything we buy. Now, if we could denote what our taxes go to pay... Grrr...now I'm going to ponder it even more!

CrazyCatLady
January 20th, 2008, 4:31pm
Whoa, I was just thinking about sales tax yesterday! This is off subject but, I was thinking about how unfair it is that we have to have our income taxed AND that we have to pay sales tax for everything we buy. Now, if we could denote what our taxes go to pay... Grrr...now I'm going to ponder it even more!

You can choose to claim the sales tax you paid on your tax return instead of claiming your state & local income taxes, but it has to be more to be worth it. Who wants to keep track of each penny of sales tax, because you'd have to document it.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=152421,00.html

ETA Okay, the IRS has a sales tax calculator. It calculated my sales tax deduction would be about $712. I paid almost $3000 in state/local income taxes. I'd rather take the income tax deduction.

luvscats36
January 21st, 2008, 12:09am
i picked out my items caled spoke to a rep and im almost sure it was like 78.00 but i kept going till i spen 498.00 i think i was so happy to win because i have not won anything in in a while

Question for you TCandy, Did they only let you order from Bright Starts or did you get stuff from KidsII? Some of the items I want to get are Baby Einstein.
Thanks, Val