PDA

View Full Version : First trip win --- strange affy?

WriterKathy1
January 18th, 2008, 2:12pm
My DD, who is 6, won grand prize in a snail mail sweepstakes. It is a trip for 4 to the Grand Canyon. The rules say ARV $4,900.
The representative, who works for the sponsor, has been wonderful. She emailed the affys and then gave us a lengthy amount of time to return them because of the holidays.
Personally, having won several other prizes that required affys, even though no trips, I felt the affys were quite strange.
My DD was the winner, and the sweep was open to children 8 and younger. Nowhere on the affy did it ask for her age, nor did we have to provide proof of age, such as a copy of a birth certificate. It just required her signature and my signature, and of course, it had to be notarized. Then, myself, my DH, and my mother had to sign release forms and have them notarized to go on the trip.
None of the paperwork required a SS# or any other information, as I have been required to include for some prizes in the past.
However this was bolded in the affy: "If for any reason prize is not available or cannot be fulfilled, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value, including, but not limited to, cash equivalent. All federal, state, and local taxes, if any, are the Winner's (or winnerís parent or legal guardian if winner is under 18) full and sole responsibility. Prizes are not transferable and cannot be assigned. No prize or cash substitutes allowed, except at the discretion of the sponsor as set forth above."
Today I got a call from the representative stating she had received the affys and we would discuss travel plans within the next few weeks as the trip has to be taken between May and August. She then emphasized again, if the prize is not available we reserve the right to substitute.
What is everyone else's take on this? I did some random checks and it appears there are few flights from our nearest airport headed to the Grand Canyon.

mdmbfly
January 18th, 2008, 2:17pm
No advice here...sorry but Congrats!!!:cheer3:

slb3334
January 18th, 2008, 2:26pm
One suggestion on flying there is to fly into either Flagstaff or Phoenix and taking the Open Roads van up. They go right into the park.

Nickcoty
January 18th, 2008, 2:30pm
Don't sweat it....If it's a well known and reputable company I wouldn't worry. Lot's of time's companies bury sweepstakes travel prizes in their own expenses and you may never see a 1099. Strange but true.

The Seahorse Lady
January 18th, 2008, 2:39pm
It sounds like the sponsor is doing everything to assist. Sit back and relax and whatever will happen, will happen.

Congrats on the great win. :cheer3:

RockysJewel
January 18th, 2008, 2:52pm
I don't see anything weird at all except they aren't requiring your SS# to be able to send a 1099. I guess I don't know. Does the law require a parent to pay taxes on something kids win?

They are just covering themselves in case for some reason it can't be done which they won't know until the travel agent tries getting flights and stuff. Hey most people LOVE having that cash alternative.

Sounds like a fun, fun trip !

pancak
January 18th, 2008, 3:07pm
Some trips are barter deals between a few companies. Since they are in essence not paying for it, they cannot send you a 1099. I had this happen with a Golf for Women/SW Air sweep we won...SW provided GFW with a hotel deal and air in exchange for advertising in their magazine/online. We were pleasantly surprised to not get a 1099, and this was the reason why. Congrats and have a great trip!

gabyzee
January 18th, 2008, 4:02pm
I'm not quite sure what you mean by strange. The fact they didn't ask for proof of your daughter's age? Didn't ask for your SSN? Or bolded the part about substituting?

Obviously, as her parents, you will be responsible for the federal & state taxes on the win. If they haven't asked for your SSN yet, I'm sure they will at some point in time!

As far as "it appears there are few flights from our nearest airport headed to the Grand Canyon", as long as there's one (to Flagstaff, etc.) then I'm sure you'll get the prize. And, if the nearest airport to you is SO small they don't have flights then, obviously, they'd fly you out of the next closest airport.

Keep us posted and congrats on a great win - the Grand Canyon is AWESOME!

pamcakes
January 18th, 2008, 4:12pm
no advice, but congrats on a super win. you'll love the grand canyon!

vegas1
January 18th, 2008, 4:23pm
Congrats on your win!
July and August is very hot out here. The other months would be much more comfortable.

bjdotson
January 18th, 2008, 4:27pm
If the child is the winner, unless she has a part time job; this win wouldn't put her over the earnings mark to pay (or file) taxes.

jolee62
January 18th, 2008, 4:35pm
Congrats!:cheer3:

hare2Win
January 18th, 2008, 4:39pm
If the child is the winner, unless she has a part time job; this win wouldn't put her over the earnings mark to pay (or file) taxes.

I would consult a tax advisor as there are different limits/rules for a dependent.

Like the unearned income limit I believe is $800.

margarita_mama
January 18th, 2008, 4:53pm

parent is responsible for the taxes, as she quoted from the rules in her OP.
To me it just seems as if they are stating the possibility of not being able to arrange the travel and if so, then they will be making a substitution.
I, personally, don't think anything strange or weird about the wording of the affy.
Congratulations!

WriterKathy1
January 18th, 2008, 6:38pm
Thanks everyone. I just thought it was strange they didn't ask for SS# to send a 1099, and because they did not ask for verification of my DD's age because of the rules.