PDA

View Full Version : Itemized list - Short-changed on prize?

carscheles
January 18th, 2008, 11:23am
Update in post #56 & #63

I'm disgusted. I just got the package from Castrol saying -

"Enclosed is the itemized list of work done including hourly labor breakdwon. Thank you for your patience while we worked on obtaining this document. We've reviewed the list and feel based on the information received that the value of the work that was promised to you was received."

And it wasn't even that he had a high hourly rate, his hourly rate is $95 per hour. He claims to have put in 388.5 hours of work. A couple of things that stood out immediately - 4.0 hours to put carpet in the trunk. 16.0 hours to build a box for the subwoofer.

I need some time to cool off. Right now my blood is boiling.

sascha_b
January 18th, 2008, 11:27am
That's insane.
Time to find a lawyer.

My father and his friend rebuilt a Fiat..total rebuild...including all wiring, all mechanics....dad's friend is meticulous and did the paint job too. Took everything down to bare bones and rebuilt it. They did alot more than what you got in 400 hours....

I'm sorry for this turn for the worse...i truly expected them to come to their senses.

BentonWesley
January 18th, 2008, 11:33am
I agree with sascha_b. Time to call an attorney. With the pix you have of the carpet, there is no way he even TOUCHED it, let alone replaced it.

DDFuller
January 18th, 2008, 11:48am
I would be so outraged, I am so sorry you are dealing with this!

Maybe if you get an attorney, and they find out that you are considering legal action- they will reconsider their position.

janess
January 18th, 2008, 11:51am
IMO Flex is trying to cover their butt and has fudged.

Did you send the pictures to Castrol?

The carpet job alone was rediculous (meaning the ugly seam they had going in the front of the car).

Honestly, who are they trying to kid here?

Probably time to contact a Lawyer.

Personally I would not want the original company to touch the car ever again.

I'm sorry this isn't going well.

robsterclaw
January 18th, 2008, 11:52am
If Castrol believes that list then they are morons. I've seen on MTV them build an awesome sub woofer set up in just a couple of hours. 16 hours is blatantly padding their hours.

Amazing that "Pimp My Ride" can totally strip a car, rebuild it to better then new in just a week, and your car is in worse shape then when it went in and they had months.

4 hours for trunk carpet??? BS

eileenfar
January 18th, 2008, 11:52am
Very disappointed for you. But not surprised. Back to square one. It is lawyer time. Did you ever hear more on the outside appraisal? Did you go looking at the American Arbitration Assn. site?

I am so sorry!

Mom2myboys
January 18th, 2008, 11:54am
How can she sue? Aren't all ja/sponsors rulings final? I agree that what they did was pretty crappy work but that was a 3rd party that has been paid by the sponsor..... right? Wouldn't the sponsor have to take it up with the company?

I would look into an estimate from a local garage for what they did and fight to get fair-market set at that.

Nubbs820
January 18th, 2008, 11:55am
16 hours to build a box? Was it like some kind of high school shop project or something? 16 hours.. oy vey.. 16 HOURS? sorry carsheles, maybe you can call that lady who said things to you that you couldn't repeat? Have you at least consulted a lawyer yet?

gabyzee
January 18th, 2008, 11:56am
Oh. My. God. I just multiplied that out and it's $36,907.50 IN LABOR ?!?!?!?!

How long did he have the car? If he worked 8 hours straight each day, that would translate into 48.5 days - almost two months. Even if he had it that many days, I sincerely doubt that's the only thing he/his crew were working on.

16 hours to build a box? Out of what? Did he glue 2,478,197 individual toothpicks together to construct the box?????

So that would mean he's saying he put $13,092.50 into the vehicle in parts/equipment?

I call BS on this one. For real.

I don't have any advice for you, I'm not even sure how you'd go about disputing this one.

Seriously, I keep typing stuff and then deleting it because I just don't know what to say to you.

durberville
January 18th, 2008, 11:57am
well the list was obviously fudged to the extreme....won't that be obvious to the independent appraiser you were promised? I'm not a litigious type of person, but I'd be damned if I'd pay tax on 50 grand when the job didn't come anywhere close to that. Good Luck!!

BentonWesley
January 18th, 2008, 11:59am
More thoughts (I promise, I won't hijack this thread!)

1. Take the car to an independent mechanic/restoration shop. Have them give you an appraisal.
2. Take it to a classic car dealer, and have them appraise it.
3. Contact your Attorney General's Office. Give them the low down on the prize, then provide them with the photos, the list of new damages, and the appraisals. Let them go after Castrol & Flex.
4. I would contact Castrol one more time, and ask if this car is of the quality that Flex puts into the other vehicles. Offer photos of the other cars he's done. Then ask if the car is something they seriously want associated with Castrol.

They were supposed to show this in a car show. I would seriously ask if the car, in it's current condition, is something that they would have been PROUD to have their name associated with. Chances are, no.

Get an attorney, and call your AG. THEY can get further with both Flex AND Castrol.

BentonWesley
January 18th, 2008, 12:01pm

How long did he have the car? If he worked 8 hours straight each day, that would translate into 48.5 days - almost two months. Even if he had it that many days, I sincerely doubt that's the only thing he/his crew were working on.

16 hours to build a box? Out of what? Did he glue 2,478,197 individual toothpicks together to construct the box?????

So that would mean he's saying he put $13,092.50 into the vehicle in parts/equipment?

I don't have any advice for you, I'm not even sure how you'd go about disputing this one.

Seriously, I keep typing stuff and then deleting it because I just don't know what to say to you.

We won't even mention the sound system that they gave the OP, IN THE BOX TO INSTALL ON THEIR OWN, the missing gas/brake pedals, etc. I'm sure all that could have been installed in the time he had the car.

Nubbs820
January 18th, 2008, 12:01pm

I think they're going to say it was whittled.. I still can't get over.. 16 hours.. they must've cut down the tree and started from there..

lulabelle96
January 18th, 2008, 12:06pm
I'm so sorry for all the trouble you are having. I'd been reading the updates you posted and was sure that castrol was going to make everything right for you. I was wondering if you had sent pictures of the work that was done on the car to the person you spoke to. If you had, I can't believe this is the response you received. Did you get an itemized statement for the cost of the supplies that they supposedly used on the car? If not, I'd request that too. Make sure to ask for the specific brand too so that you can check the cost yourself. As far as the box for the subwoofers taking 16 man hours to build, that's ridiculous. I don't think they can charge you for the actual time it takes for the glue to dry. As far as carpeting in the trunk taking 4 hours..........BULL. I've seen people lay carpet in 2 rooms of a house in less time than that. Good luck on getting everything worked out to you your satisfaction.

Mom2myboys
January 18th, 2008, 12:06pm
Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that:
(1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (Southern Division) or the appropriate Michigan State Court located in Oakland County, Michigan U.S.A.;

(2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and

(3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Michigan, U.S.A. without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Michigan or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Michigan.

sascha_b
January 18th, 2008, 12:12pm

1. Take the car to an independent mechanic/restoration shop. Have them give you an appraisal.
3. Contact your Attorney General's Office. Give them the low down on the prize, then provide them with the photos, the list of new damages, and the appraisals. Let them go after Castrol & Flex.
4. I would contact Castrol one more time, and ask if this car is of the quality that Flex puts into the other vehicles. Offer photos of the other cars he's done. Then ask if the car is something they seriously want associated with Castrol.

They were supposed to show this in a car show. I would seriously ask if the car, in it's current condition, is something that they would have been PROUD to have their name associated with. Chances are, no.

Get an attorney, and call your AG. THEY can get further with both Flex AND Castrol.

Very, very good advice. If they're not gonna budge on a fix, you better start documenting and fighting for FMV first. Then you can decide how much furthur you want to take it....

And AG may be the way to go....as far as legitimacy of prize value received vs advertised

robsterclaw
January 18th, 2008, 12:13pm
(1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan (Southern Division) or the appropriate Michigan State Court located in Oakland County, Michigan U.S.A.;

(2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and

(3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, indirect, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Michigan, U.S.A. without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Michigan or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Michigan.

Let's not forget fraud. It is obvious that the car restorer committed fraud with their itemized labor bill. I think they committed fraud against Castrol and the OP is the victim because of that.

taylynn
January 18th, 2008, 12:17pm

Same feelings here. I'm sorry this is happening.

Tarah716
January 18th, 2008, 12:18pm
Oh wow...

I agree in getting your car appraised by two seperate dealerships, contact a lawyer and then let Castrol in on the fact that you're NOT happy and have proof of why.

taylynn
January 18th, 2008, 12:18pm

Sounds like good advice, maybe it would help. Good Luck!

SillyLilly
January 18th, 2008, 12:20pm
Holy Crap! I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I have no advice, just sympathy that this prize which could have been so cool has turned into a complete nightmare. I'd consider taking it to that car show with a big sign that says work done by Flex and Castrol. Good luck, hope you can get some fair resolution. :grouphug:

janess
January 18th, 2008, 12:20pm
I think they're going to say it was whittled.. I still can't get over.. 16 hours.. they must've cut down the tree and started from there..

Yeah, I know my DH could build one in about two hours and he's only made a few. Though he is a master in woodworking he did not do these regularly.

sheila10253
January 18th, 2008, 12:22pm
I am so sorry that this has happened. But thought you might like an explanation on how they arrive at some of the time frames and figures.(Hope that makes sense) My DH owns a collision repair shop(for 30 years) Repair shops and insurance companies have a book(estimating guide) that they use to determine the prices and how long it will take to say replace a bumper(remove the old one,paint the new one,reinstall it etc.)So say that is estimated to take 2 hours at $25 an hour. The paint alone could cost an unbelieveable amout(to paint a car all over can be several hundred dollars for just the paint!) so add at least $100 in paint and then materials that have to be used(sandpaper,paint thinner,body filler and so on) so add another $30. Thats $180 in labor, paint and materials and then you have to add the cost of the new bumper say $300.so the final job cost $480.Most people think that the job could be done in say an hour but it usually takes longer than the estimating guide gives. We dont make but $200 out of that (only a small portion of the bumper that we had to purchase.) Now I am not saying that the person did a good job or even did what he was supposed to do,just giving you an idea of how repair shops "come up with prices". I am in NO way defending the person who did the work or the work they did! I hope everything woks out on this for you!

bnit2winit
January 18th, 2008, 12:31pm
Again I'm really sorry you have to go through this. I agree with everyone else on contacting the State Attorney General. Heck I'd probably contact my local TV's stations and John Stossell (?) at ABC's 20/20. This is definitely a gimme a break moment. I'm sure Castrol doesn't want that type of publicity.

I'm so disappointed in Castrol right now. :frown4: When I go purchase another brand of oil I'll definitely be thinking of this incident.

SaneDough
January 18th, 2008, 12:32pm
One word...

Attorney

please know we are all behind you!:grouphug:

robsterclaw
January 18th, 2008, 12:38pm
Was the work done by that Funkmaster Flex guy? That's the only thing I could find in a google search. I wanted to go see other work done by these people and compare it to your cars pictures.

CMIRily
January 18th, 2008, 12:40pm
Well, you just tell Castrol that you have let 154,905 sweepstakers know what shoddy work was done and if all 154,905 tell 2 people each, that's 309,810 people, and if they tell 2 people each, that's 619,620 people, and if they each tell two people, that's 1,239,240 people and so on and so on and so on. And I can tell you this, from your experience, Castrol products will definitely be at the bottom of my list from here on out. And you can forward my comments on to the head CEO of the company.

Sorry :frown4:

snowmyst
January 18th, 2008, 12:45pm
Go to the local news stations and see if they will do a spot on it. But let Castrol know before hand, it might make them think twice about the crap that you are getting put through. good luck!!

bkstar
January 18th, 2008, 12:47pm
Contact your local tv station and see if they have an "on your side" feature that they can get involve and help you sort this one out. I know here & in NY some of the local stations love these kinds of story because they will come out look at your car, and what they sent and then go over to the garage and get their side of the story and if it don't add up-- they will push until it does.

So sorry to hear this I really hoped this was going to turn out well.

bk

sallykay
January 18th, 2008, 12:47pm

That's nice, but so what. As for your previous post, where you don't see how she could sue, well, of course she most likely can sue.

I think it would be interesting if the head of Castrol read all the threads on this topic.

kyjoy
January 18th, 2008, 12:50pm
Well, you just tell Castrol that you have let 154,905 sweepstakers know what shoddy work was done and if all 154,905 tell 2 people each, that's 309,810 people, and if they tell 2 people each, that's 619,620 people, and if they each tell two people, that's 1,239,240 people and so on and so on and so on. And I can tell you this, from your experience, Castrol products will definitely be at the bottom of my list from here on out. And you can forward my comments on to the head CEO of the company.

Sorry :frown4:

You're RIGHT! ..this is BS! Please add my name to the list of people who will NOT be buying, using OR recommending their products, EVER!

I am so sorry :(

carscheles
January 18th, 2008, 12:51pm
I am so sorry that this has happened. But thought you might like an explanation on how they arrive at some of the time frames and figures.(Hope that makes sense) My DH owns a collision repair shop(for 30 years) Repair shops and insurance companies have a book(estimating guide) that they use to determine the prices and how long it will take to say replace a bumper(remove the old one,paint the new one,reinstall it etc.)So say that is estimated to take 2 hours at $25 an hour. The paint alone could cost an unbelieveable amout(to paint a car all over can be several hundred dollars for just the paint!) so add at least $100 in paint and then materials that have to be used(sandpaper,paint thinner,body filler and so on) so add another $30. Thats $180 in labor, paint and materials and then you have to add the cost of the new bumper say $300.so the final job cost $480.Most people think that the job could be done in say an hour but it usually takes longer than the estimating guide gives. We dont make but $200 out of that (only a small portion of the bumper that we had to purchase.) Now I am not saying that the person did a good job or even did what he was supposed to do,just giving you an idea of how repair shops "come up with prices". I am in NO way defending the person who did the work or the work they did! I hope everything woks out on this for you!

Good point so let me give you the figures he gave for the bumpers.

Front bumper
Labor
R&I - 3.0
Disassemble - 2.0
Strip fillers - 2.0
R&I fillers - 2.0
Prime fillers - 1.0
Sand primer on fillers - 1.0
Paint fillers - 1.0
Reassemble bumper - 2.0

Parts
Replace hardware - $50

Rear Bumper
Labor
Replace - 3.0
Disassemble - 2.0
Strip fillers - 2.0
R&I fillers - 2.0
Prime fillers - 1.0
Paint fillers - 1.0
Reassemble bumper - 2.0

Parts
Replace bumper - $250
Replace hardware - $50

Rechrome front & rear bumper - $1,450

Totals
28 hours labor - $2,660
Parts - $350
Rechrome - $1,450

Total for 2 bumpers (one replaced/one original) $4,460

That's a far cry from your $480 example

carscheles
January 18th, 2008, 12:52pm
Go to the local news stations and see if they will do a spot on it. But let Castrol know before hand, it might make them think twice about the crap that you are getting put through. good luck!!

I've already told them that at this point I'm seriously considering making this VERY public.

Mom2myboys
January 18th, 2008, 12:56pm
That's nice, but so what. As for your previous post, where you don't see how she could sue, well,of course she most likely can sue.

I think it would be interesting if the head of Castrol read all the threads on this topic.

If my post made you think so what, why bother quoting me? I was simply posting a part of the disclaimer from the rules(for the benefit of the OP). Your post only contributed that of course she could most likely sue.....:sherlock:

carscheles, I hope things get worked out quickly and reasonably for you. Do you guys need this car for everyday use?

carscheles
January 18th, 2008, 12:56pm
They also added Clean, Polish, and Wax entire exterior - 8.0 hours. They charged $760 to detail the outside of a car they just painted!

topgun
January 18th, 2008, 12:58pm
I would call your contact and thank them for the information. I would then inform them that your local tv station will be doing a story on the $50,000 car. And let them know you will also be posting a video on youtube.

Let them know that you've decided that the public should be the judge of whether or not $50,000 was put into your car.

I would also try to get a meeting with the staff at your attorney general's office.

The more publicity that you can get - the better.

Good luck!

sheila10253
January 18th, 2008, 1:09pm
Wow! Looks like he is into robbery! I understand the rechroming price(it is terribly expensive) since DH had the bumpers on our 55 convertible rechromed. But his estimated times and prices seem outrageous! I would think if it took him more than 3 hours per bumper(from start to finish) he is putting the screws to somebody. I agree with everyone else,take it with before pix to an independent shop and get an estimate on the restoration and go from there. He cant possibly do any insurance work becaue his prices are way out in left field. His hourly labor rate is unbelievable(I know restoration is much moe expensive, but geesh!) I only wish DH could charge an hourly rate half that much! I really hope this all works out good for you!

sheila10253
January 18th, 2008, 1:12pm
They also added Clean, Polish, and Wax entire exterior - 8.0 hours. They charged $760 to detail the outside of a car they just painted!

Gosh and we do that for free! (wash, vaccuum and shine the tires)

ksmith47
January 18th, 2008, 1:25pm
Write a nice letter to Castrol thanking for their time, send the pictures of the crappy work they did.

Also mention in the letter that you are contacting the local media so they can do a story of the 'wonderful' job that was done to your car.

Ask for a Castrol representative to be present for the cameras so they can 'present' the car to you.

What a load of bull#@!* from Flex and Castrol is buying it.

margarita_mama
January 18th, 2008, 1:25pm
Just throwing this into the conversation....you know those sweeps where the prize includes a "consultation" or meet and greet that almost always have very high ARV's? And there is really no way of determining the "cost" of the personal time involved for that consult or meet and greet, as basically the celebs/consult gurus can place any $ amount for that part of the prize.
Could Flex's outragious fees perhaps fall into this same category?

Reverie
January 18th, 2008, 1:30pm
I'm not surprised. I'm probably alone in this, but I think the itemized list you now have is very favorable for you.

With a little research, you will find that you now have a highly collectible car because you have the documentation to show that it was customized by Funkmaster Flex.

You could put this car on the market now and easily sell it for far more than whatever local appraisals you've gotten. And, of course, you would definitely want to stop pointing out its flaws publicly if you want to do that.

1972 Olds Cutlass "HEINEKEN PROMO CAR" SOLD
Now up for sale is the "Nationally Known" HEINEKEN PROMO CAR
Built by Grand Master Flex

Documented appraisal for this beautiful ultra rare promo car is $49,300,but with it's nationally know status worth much more. Definately collector material.
http://dream-car-locators.tripod.com/id20.html

Flex said he had received 21 orders for his high-tech playground on wheels at $92,000 apiece.
Even more than plush interiors, flashy chrome wheels -- often adding $10,000 to the cost of a customized vehicle -- define these toys of urban car culture.
http://www.teambaurtwell.com/flexarticel_3_nytimes.htm April 28, 2002

This ride actually began in his father’s Oldsmobile Cutlass 30 years ago. ...
“On Queen Latifah’s ’71 Cutlass I did a complete restoration, interior, sound system, body work, suspension, motor work . . . It was a big job,” revels Flex.
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070302/NEWS/70312004/-1/MEDIA15

Wow, I did P. Diddy’s 2001 Yukon, the interior and wheels, and 50 Cent’s Chevy Impala. I just love Chevys,” says Flex, who owns a “statement-making,” red ’70 Chevelle SS. “50’s (50 Cent’s) car was fun. I put a 350 in to replace the 327. I did the interior over, did complete paint work, did the suspension and took the car off the frame. I did all that for $60,000 to $65,000. With another guy it would’ve cost double that.
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070302/NEWS/70312004/-1/MEDIA15

HEATHERM
January 18th, 2008, 1:43pm
good luck with Castrol. Keep on it.

lilac100
January 18th, 2008, 2:17pm
Have you let Flex know your problems with the car. I know Castrol should be doing it but maybe he would like to know you are considering going to the press about this car. It would ruin his rep if it got out about the hack job he did on your car. I think he stands to lose much more than Castrol if this gets out. Particularly if you go on say a daytime talk show. Something Nationally aired to let the whole country know about his practices. Get ahold of MTV see if they want to pimp your ride that Flex screwed up. Competition you know. Oh or that show that Chip Foose does. Since the car is already messed up by someone they compete against maybe they would jump at the chance to show this guy up.

bomar97
January 18th, 2008, 2:17pm
Write a nice letter to Castrol thanking for their time, send the pictures of the crappy work they did.

Also mention in the letter that you are contacting the local media so they can do a story of the 'wonderful' job that was done to your car.

Ask for a Castrol representative to be present for the cameras so they can 'present' the car to you.

What a load of bull#@!* from Flex and Castrol is buying it.

I LOVE this idea.. the media should do something on it to promote the downfalls of sweepstakes.

I wonder about selling the car with documentation because it still should look like a nicely refurbished car and not something that needs more work!

sascha_b
January 18th, 2008, 2:44pm
Hmm...consider the "Flex Reputation Angle"...

It took him that many hours to wrangle the bumpers??? I bet he'd be embarrassed for that to become public...

talk about padding the hours...:goodevil:

BentonWesley
January 18th, 2008, 2:48pm
I like the idea of letting Flex know you're going public with this. Seriously, if P Diddy or 50 Cent had brought in this car, and they got it back in the condition you got it, do you think they'd be happy? Heck no. They'd be asking him WTF he thought he was doing.

yellowsnider
January 18th, 2008, 2:51pm
What a mess! I have been keeping up with the updates and I can't belive the way this is turning out :worry:

All I can say is I am so sorry. What a nightmare.

Tarah716
January 18th, 2008, 2:54pm
Have you let Flex know your problems with the car. I know Castrol should be doing it but maybe he would like to know you are considering going to the press about this car. It would ruin his rep if it got out about the hack job he did on your car. I think he stands to lose much more than Castrol if this gets out. Particularly if you go on say a daytime talk show. Something Nationally aired to let the whole country know about his practices. Get ahold of MTV see if they want to pimp your ride that Flex screwed up. Competition you know. Oh or that show that Chip Foose does. Since the car is already messed up by someone they compete against maybe they would jump at the chance to show this guy up.

Love that idea!

jennem
January 18th, 2008, 2:55pm
It's definitely time to go public. Those news channel watchdogs would LOVE this.

kittyhello72
January 18th, 2008, 3:05pm

Front bumper
Labor
R&I - 3.0
Disassemble - 2.0
Strip fillers - 2.0
R&I fillers - 2.0
Prime fillers - 1.0
Paint fillers - 1.0
Reassemble bumper - 2.0

Parts
Replace hardware - $50

Rear Bumper
Labor
Replace - 3.0
Disassemble - 2.0
Strip fillers - 2.0
R&I fillers - 2.0
Prime fillers - 1.0
Paint fillers - 1.0
Reassemble bumper - 2.0

Parts
Replace bumper - $250
Replace hardware - $50

Totals
28 hours labor - $2,660
Parts - $350
Rechrome - $1,450

and his itemized list is based on doing the job right which by the pictures he did not do. Based on this list that car should've been beyond pristine which it isn't so all these numbers are bogus!

RockysJewel
January 18th, 2008, 3:06pm
One of the best ideas yet. Good info and so right. The 'name' alone will bring in the $$$

I'm not surprised. I'm probably alone in this, but I think the itemized list you now have is very favorable for you.

With a little research, you will find that you now have a highly collectible car because you have the documentation to show that it was customized by Funkmaster Flex.

You could put this car on the market now and easily sell it for far more than whatever local appraisals you've gotten. And, of course, you would definitely want to stop pointing out its flaws publicly if you want to do that.

1972 Olds Cutlass "HEINEKEN PROMO CAR" SOLD

Now up for sale is the "Nationally Known" HEINEKEN PROMO CAR

Built by Grand Master Flex

Documented appraisal for this beautiful ultra rare promo car is $49,300,but with it's nationally know status worth much more. Definately collector material.http://dream-car-locators.tripod.com/id20.html

Flex said he had received 21 orders for his high-tech playground on wheels at $92,000 apiece.

Even more than plush interiors, flashy chrome wheels -- often adding $10,000 to the cost of a customized vehicle -- define these toys of urban car culture. http://www.teambaurtwell.com/flexarticel_3_nytimes.htm April 28, 2002

This ride actually began in his father’s Oldsmobile Cutlass 30 years ago. ...

“On Queen Latifah’s ’71 Cutlass I did a complete restoration, interior, sound system, body work, suspension, motor work . . . It was a big job,” revels Flex.http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070302/NEWS/70312004/-1/MEDIA15

Wow, I did P. Diddy’s 2001 Yukon, the interior and wheels, and 50 Cent’s Chevy Impala. I just love Chevys,” says Flex, who owns a “statement-making,” red ’70 Chevelle SS. “50’s (50 Cent’s) car was fun. I put a 350 in to replace the 327. I did the interior over, did complete paint work, did the suspension and took the car off the frame. I did all that for $60,000 to $65,000. With another guy it would’ve cost double that. http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070302/NEWS/70312004/-1/MEDIA15

sallykay
If my post made you think so what, why bother quoting me? I was simply posting a part of the disclaimer from the rules(for the benefit of the OP). Your post only contributed that of course she could most likely sue.....:sherlock:

carscheles, I hope things get worked out quickly and reasonably for you. Do you guys need this car for everyday use?

Well, because your first post made it appear you didn't think she had any basis to sue, and your second post of the rules made it appear you were trying to show she couldn't sue, based upon those rules. I sure carcheles has read the rules 4098509458 times during all this mess. Exuse me if I'm completely wrong. Which I certainly can be.

If she gets to court, it's likely because those rules were written by the defendant, the court would construe those rules against the defendant.

As I've said before, if you go into a store and you see a "You break it, you buy it" sign, doesn't mean that "if you break it, you buy it". I can post a sign in my office that says "Anyone who comes into this office owes me One million dollars", and if they are dumb enough to pay me that, yay for me, but it's highly unlikely a court would enforce that.

I can have someone sign a waiver saying "I won't sure you if I get injured on your horse ranch", but if they sue me, it's likely I will lose, because not only did I draft the waiver, I can't waive away my own negligence, if that's what caused the injury.

My point is, that just because the rules say certain things, doesn't mean that's the way it is, as far as nearly anyone's interpretation. Sure, most if not all, sweeps rules have "cover their butts" language. That doesn't necessarily mean their butts are covered.

KChele
Just throwing this into the conversation....you know those sweeps where the prize includes a "consultation" or meet and greet that almost always have very high ARV's? And there is really no way of determining the "cost" of the personal time involved for that consult or meet and greet, as basically the celebs/consult gurus can place any $ amount for that part of the prize.
Could Flex's outragious fees perhaps fall into this same category?

That's exactly what I was thinking. It still doesn't account for the shoddy work though. I bet he never even laid hands on that car.

KChele
January 18th, 2008, 3:08pm
I'm disgusted. I just got the package from Castrol saying -

"Enclosed is the itemized list of work done including hourly labor breakdwon. Thank you for your patience while we worked on obtaining this document. We've reviewed the list and feel based on the information received that the value of the work that was promised to you was received."

And it wasn't even that he had a high hourly rate, his hourly rate is $95 per hour. He claims to have put in 388.5 hours of work. A couple of things that stood out immediately - 4.0 hours to put carpet in the trunk. 16.0 hours to build a box for the subwoofer.

I need some time to cool off. Right now my blood is boiling.

That is total crap. My husband took the seats and carpet out of a car yesterday and replaced them within 2 hours.

carscheles
January 18th, 2008, 3:10pm
Well I sent an email and told them that I wasn't happy and that I thought either Castrol or Flex should buy the car from us. I told them that I was seriously considering going public with this.

I just got off the phone and Castrol offered to buy the car!!!

Yeah!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Glad it's almost over!

kittyhello72
January 18th, 2008, 3:13pm
Well I sent an email and told them that I wasn't happy and that I thought either Castrol or Flex should buy the car from us. I told them that I was seriously considering going public with this.

Yeah!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Glad it's almost over!
hold your breath, cross your fingers, grab a fake rabbit's foot....
did they give a number for the price....

sascha_b
January 18th, 2008, 3:14pm

Yeah!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Glad it's almost over!

HOLY CRAP!

(wait, what will they buy it for....enough to make it work for ya????)

:cheer3::cheer3:

(I think..??? ...lol)

vegas1
January 18th, 2008, 3:14pm
I am really sorry this has turned into such a nightmare.

If Castrol buys the car from you will you have to pay taxes for winning the car and then taxes for selling the car? If so, maybe they should pay enough to cover the taxes at least for the win side. Just a thought. ;)

KChele
January 18th, 2008, 3:16pm

Yeah!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Glad it's almost over!

Are they going to buy it for the full amount of the win?

stan1162
January 18th, 2008, 3:17pm
You have been so patient. What a nightmare.

I know these kinds of sweeps CAN have a good outcome, but the "meet and greets" and "custom" anything I know I have been staying away from for a reason... Yuk.

Especially the meet and greets with over-inflated ARV's. I am thinking of that outrageous Denise Austin one a couple years back.

Good for you for keeping a clear head. Keeping documentation, not being demanding etc....

Keep us posted.

WeenyMomma
January 18th, 2008, 3:17pm

Yeah!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Glad it's almost over!

It will be very interesting to learn what they are willing to pay you for your classic car plus the $50,000 prize you won.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with this carcheles, I cannot believe what they did to your car.

carscheles
January 18th, 2008, 3:18pm
She had approval for $50,000 and I told her that we had $5,000 of our own money into it so she's going to get approval for $55,000 and send the papers out to us next week.

Mom2myboys
January 18th, 2008, 3:19pm
She had approval for $50,000 and I told her that we had $5,000 of our own money into it so she's going to get approval for $55,000 and send the papers out to us next week.

Will that cover the purchase price of car and the taxes on the 50,000 hack job?

sascha_b
January 18th, 2008, 3:20pm

Way to go girl!!!
:twoclap:

Just make sure it's good for you, with covering taxes and all. You're probably just glad to end this insanity.
I"D Keep the stuff in the boxes just for your troubles...lol

topgun
January 18th, 2008, 3:22pm

Yeah!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Glad it's almost over!

They'll try to low ball you - so be ready for an absurdly low number.

And don't forget that your car had value before it was worked on. Let's say your car was worth $10,000 and they offer you $30,000. In effect, you would only be getting $20,000.

Good luck and don't let up the pressure.

KChele
January 18th, 2008, 3:36pm
Will that cover the purchase price of car and the taxes on the 50,000 hack job?

Even if they paid the taxes on it, wouldn't she still have to pay taxes on that money?

Stanza_Rae
January 18th, 2008, 3:38pm

Congrats. I haven't posted before in this topics threads because I didn't have anything useful to add that hadn't already been said. But my family and I have been following your problem and discussing it. I am so glad that it got worked out!

KChele
January 18th, 2008, 3:39pm

I bet this is a huge relief to you. Think of the car you can buy now!

carscheles
January 18th, 2008, 3:40pm
It's my understanding that we will have to pay taxes on the $50,000 car restoration but not on capital gains for selling the car (because there wasn't a gain).

Castrol will have to pay the sales tax for buying the car from us.

carscheles
January 18th, 2008, 3:42pm
Thanks everyone for all the support during this. It's been a challenge to say the least. I probably won't relax entirely until the check is in our hands. But at least for now I can breathe a slight sigh of relief - phew!

jjampm
January 18th, 2008, 3:44pm
So glad it's working out!!!

cnm616
January 18th, 2008, 3:44pm
It's my understanding that we will have to pay taxes on the $50,000 car restoration but not on capital gains for selling the car (because there wasn't a gain).

Wow!!! So glad this is coming to a great ending for you. I have been following this thread and crossing my fingers for you!!!!

carscheles
January 18th, 2008, 3:46pm
[QUOTE=Reverie;6967703]I'm not surprised. I'm probably alone in this, but I think the itemized list you now have is very favorable for you.

I agree completely with this. Sell it. Advertise like crazy and sell it. Seriously, could you and DH ever look fondly at it again with all this mess and bad memories? Sell it and then you know EXACTLY what FMV is and exactly what to claim on your taxes (minus previous FMV) and you will have proof. Send whoever issues your 1099 a letter stating what the FMV of the work is and a copy of the sale receipt and the blue book value of the car in the before condition to have the 1099 correctly filled out or amended. Who knows maybe you'll be surprized and sell it for a lot.

Good luck to you. How sad this must be! Funkmaster Flex and Castrol are getting very bad publicity because of this... I know I'm doing my part.

Ooops - there was an update - they're buying it from us. No more bad publicity for them ;)

Reverie
January 18th, 2008, 3:54pm
No more bad publicity for them ;)

Good ;)

marathonnh
January 18th, 2008, 3:59pm
I am happy for you. What a nightmare!

Lorren
January 18th, 2008, 4:00pm
Well that's good. I was ready to blog about it if they didn't seem to keep going in the right direction.

ContestQueen2002
January 18th, 2008, 4:19pm

Well that is MUCH better and I'm SO glad you are happy with your offer! (I would be too!)

Keep us updated so we know whether we are banning those sponsors or not LOL they'd better keep their word! Shame for them putting you through this stress!

Wishing us all a wonderful weekend full of great wins,

Donna P. :royal:

durberville
January 18th, 2008, 4:32pm
I'm so happy it worked out for you in the end.....just reading all the threads was exhausting, haha! (have no idea how you managed to keep a level head throughout the ordeal).

melonhed
January 18th, 2008, 4:36pm
Wow! You are gonna end up with cash in hand? That rocks. Castrol really stepped up to the plate on this one. Very impressive.

jolee62
January 18th, 2008, 4:39pm
Unreal:frown3:

SillyLilly
January 18th, 2008, 4:41pm

Wow, that was quick thinking. I'd have been too busy grabbing the $50K before they rescinded the offer to think about the extra 5K. Good for you, glad it's working out! :gvibes:

jennem
January 18th, 2008, 5:05pm
Congratulations! Cash that check quick fast in a hurry!

Styflan
January 18th, 2008, 5:30pm
I am so happy for you. I'm also very pleased with Castrol deciding to do the right thing. They know this could be a PR nightmare for them. I wonder what they'll do with the car? hmmmm? Maybe Flex will add it to his web page as another one of his accomplishments.

BentonWesley
January 18th, 2008, 5:32pm
Happy to hear they're buying the car! I'd love to be there to see their faces when they see the crap job Flex did on it.

WillowSnap
January 18th, 2008, 5:41pm
Happy they're coming through with the prize !!!

realaud
January 18th, 2008, 5:51pm
Well, if I couldn't get them to buy it back, you'd see me driving around with a big plaque on the car that reads "proudly customized by Funkmaster Flex and Castrol" and I'd be showing up at auto shows with it. It's not defamation, because it's true.

taniab22
January 18th, 2008, 5:53pm
I am very happy for you!!!!! :cheer3:

bbking
January 18th, 2008, 5:53pm
I am so happy this is gonna work out for you guys. I feel much better about this. I was kind of taking it personal even if it wasnt me they were doing this to. Oh dear, they dont want this to get out so that car will never be seen again I am sure unless its as evidence in a lawsuit. Let us know as soon as you have that check in hand so we can all sigh with relief for you. I am still stunned this even happened in the first place. Blessings.

eileenfar
January 18th, 2008, 6:04pm
For elaborating. It makes me totally nutz when people take a position that if a liar spouts a lie, it is true or that you can do nothing about it. There are no end of stores/businesses/folk who imagine they can make rules without regard to law and that's just not true. BUT anybody can do ANYthing until somebody else stops them, including kill and eat people, so the issue is actually (always) what it will take to make it/them stop.

Well, because your first post made it appear you didn't think she had any basis to sue, and your second post of the rules made it appear you were trying to show she couldn't sue, based upon those rules. I sure carcheles has read the rules 4098509458 times during all this mess. Exuse me if I'm completely wrong. Which I certainly can be.

If she gets to court, it's likely because those rules were written by the defendant, the court would construe those rules against the defendant.

As I've said before, if you go into a store and you see a "You break it, you buy it" sign, doesn't mean that "if you break it, you buy it". I can post a sign in my office that says "Anyone who comes into this office owes me One million dollars", and if they are dumb enough to pay me that, yay for me, but it's highly unlikely a court would enforce that.

I can have someone sign a waiver saying "I won't sure you if I get injured on your horse ranch", but if they sue me, it's likely I will lose, because not only did I draft the waiver, I can't waive away my own negligence, if that's what caused the injury.

My point is, that just because the rules say certain things, doesn't mean that's the way it is, as far as nearly anyone's interpretation. Sure, most if not all, sweeps rules have "cover their butts" language. That doesn't necessarily mean their butts are covered.

BentonWesley
January 18th, 2008, 6:04pm
At least it will be them fighting with Flex, and not her. They sure as hell are not going to be happy when they see what their $50K car looks like. Looks like he's gonna have some splainin' to do :nana:

EXACTLY! They're gonna flip when they see it. Boy I wish I could be there. LOL!

eileenfar
January 18th, 2008, 6:09pm
That is wonderful and the absolute best possible outcome. I am SO glad and so relieved for you!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS all the way around.

Reverie
January 18th, 2008, 6:12pm
Happy to hear they're buying the car! I'd love to be there to see their faces when they see the crap job Flex did on it.

At least it will be them fighting with Flex, and not her. They sure as hell are not going to be happy when they see what their $50K car looks like. Looks like he's gonna have some splainin' to do :nana:

EXACTLY! They're gonna flip when they see it. Boy I wish I could be there. LOL!

They've already seen it. She has posted before that they were there when the car was presented to her.

They are well aware of the value of this car. It's silly to think otherwise.

My prediction - they will simply do any repairs necessary (as they had already promised the OP they would do for her), they will pay him enough to finish the job properly (because he usually charges much more than $50,000), and they will display it or resell it. At a profit.

It's a win-win situation for everybody involved.

Continuing to criticize this prize could very well backfire for the OP. The sponsor has been very cooperative and has offered the OP exactly what she asked for - why provoke a negative reaction now from such a positive outcome?

IplaymyGuitar
January 18th, 2008, 6:14pm
I knew they would make it right. Just had a gut feeling about it!

I'm very glad this has worked out for you!

Christel
January 18th, 2008, 6:18pm
Glad it is working out for you!

HappyHusky
January 18th, 2008, 6:23pm
wow, reading these threads have been so nerve wreaking! Congrats, this is an awesome outcome!

Sweethart79
January 18th, 2008, 6:37pm
:twoclap: To Castrol for stepping up! Congrats OP!

jesmommy
January 18th, 2008, 6:41pm
I'm so glad this is all finally working out for you, sorry you had to go through so much crap though. Now you need a vacation:)

bomar97
January 18th, 2008, 7:07pm
:twoclap::twoclap:

taylynn
January 19th, 2008, 10:35am
I'm so glad things are working out in a positive way for you. Congrats!

LastLaugh
January 19th, 2008, 11:01am

Front bumper
Labor
R&I - 3.0
Disassemble - 2.0
Strip fillers - 2.0
R&I fillers - 2.0
Prime fillers - 1.0
Paint fillers - 1.0
Reassemble bumper - 2.0

Parts
Replace hardware - $50

Rear Bumper
Labor
Replace - 3.0
Disassemble - 2.0
Strip fillers - 2.0
R&I fillers - 2.0
Prime fillers - 1.0
Paint fillers - 1.0
Reassemble bumper - 2.0

Parts
Replace bumper - $250
Replace hardware - $50

Totals
28 hours labor - $2,660
Parts - $350
Rechrome - $1,450

That is utterly ridiculous, besides the outrageous claims for time (14 hours per bumper), Rechroming should be between $300 to $400 per bumper, unless it was show plated. It's hard to tell from the after pictures but that doesn't look like show plating.

LastLaugh
January 19th, 2008, 11:05am

A car that is refinished half-assed is not collectible no matter who did it.

LastLaugh
January 19th, 2008, 11:08am
Even if they paid the taxes on it, wouldn't she still have to pay taxes on that money?
She would only have to pay taxes on the win. Selling the car she is not making any profit.

arouet
January 19th, 2008, 11:12am
EDITED to add I just read your update. WOOHOO!!!

Report them to the Attorney General's office first and then in the meantime, I agree, garner as much publicity as possible. Look how many members here are on your side. Would it be possible for OLS'ers with web pages and blogs to put this story up?

And I definitely agree with the local car show idea, that is hilarious, leave the boxes of parts in the trunk too with a big sign explaining the contest, the sponsors and the prize. And make sure to direct Castrol to each and every web page covering the story and send pictures of the car shows.

LOL Be the biggest pain in the butt they have ever seen until they make it right. I agree totally with being patient and giving sponsors every benefit of the doubt, but they've obviously closed the book on this one leaving you screwed. And they probably also figure, rightly so, that most people don't have the kind of money laying around to pursue legal action, so be creative and get them where it hurts, without hurting your own pocketbook.

Good luck!!

carscheles
January 19th, 2008, 11:22am
Report them to the Attorney General's office first and then in the meantime, I agree, garner as much publicity as possible. Look how many members here are on your side. Would it be possible for OLS'ers with web pages and blogs to put this story up?

And I definitely agree with the local car show idea, that is hilarious, leave the boxes of parts in the trunk too with a big sign explaining the contest, the sponsors and the prize. And make sure to direct Castrol to each and every web page covering the story and send pictures of the car shows.

LOL Be the biggest pain in the butt they have ever seen until they make it right. I agree totally with being patient and giving sponsors every benefit of the doubt, but they've obviously closed the book on this one leaving you screwed. And they probably also figure, rightly so, that most people don't have the kind of money laying around to pursue legal action, so be creative and get them where it hurts, without hurting your own pocketbook.

Good luck!!

I should have posted that there was an update to this. I just edited my first post to say there's updates in post #56 & #63.

Reverie
January 19th, 2008, 1:37pm
A car that is refinished half-assed is not collectible no matter who did it.

Well, that's your opinion, but it's also exactly the type of uninformed belief that shrewd collectors love.

So ... yeah ... uh, if you happen to have any Funkmaster Flex customized cars just laying around, I'd be happy to buy them from you dirt cheap. :eyebrow:

I should have posted that there was an update to this. I just edited my first post to say there's updates in post #56 & #63.

Congratulations again ... it's nice to see a great outcome that's a win-win situation for everyone involved ... and resolved in such a short time. :)

KChele
January 19th, 2008, 3:21pm
She would only have to pay taxes on the win. Selling the car she is not making any profit.

I was referring to someone who said Castrol should pay the taxes on her win.

InkyPrincess
January 19th, 2008, 3:49pm

OMG that is wonderful!!!!!!! I'm so happy this is working out for you.

April1p
January 19th, 2008, 4:13pm
glad a good outcome finally came for you and Castrol stepped up to the plate:toast1:

sissy76
January 19th, 2008, 4:42pm
So glad there was a good outcome!!
Congrats and have fun figuring out what your gonna do with the $$$$

clebar
January 19th, 2008, 4:56pm
So Happy it all worked out for you!!!

Godzilla in Pa
January 19th, 2008, 5:11pm
Wow, I'm happy for you now that it seems this is moving in the right direction. Please keep us updated.

ContestQueen2002
January 24th, 2008, 10:23am
Any new news???

Man I'm nosey huh? LOL

Wishing us all a wonderful winning day,

anjasmom
January 24th, 2008, 11:16am
Any new news???

Man I'm nosey huh? LOL

Wishing us all a wonderful winning day,

I am curious too..........that worked out sooo nice, You can do lots with 50,000. Have fun! :clap:

carscheles
January 24th, 2008, 11:39am
We will be getting the $55,000 in a couple of weeks. They are making us sign a gag-order so this is the last post I'll be able to write about it. But everything worked out so it's done and over. That is unless they don't come through on their end and then I'll be singing like a birdie - lol.

Thanks everybody for the support. It's very much appreciated :)

Mickeyfan
January 24th, 2008, 11:46am
In before the gag............:clap: I'm very pleased to hear that all is FINALLY turning out in a way that makes everyone happy/look good. Now you can relax and enjoy the win!!

ROSIE203
January 24th, 2008, 11:57am
Sweet!!!

triple*eee
January 24th, 2008, 12:30pm

WooooHooo! I am glad it all worked out. Once they physically see the car themselves, they will understand why you were so upset.

$55,000 would buy my silence too LOL

Indy
January 24th, 2008, 12:32pm
Good to hear that they are willing to work with you!:yesyes:

sascha_b
January 24th, 2008, 1:31pm
$55,000 would buy my silence too LOL:yesyes:

Congrats on the ending of a real hassle.:clap:

luv911fun
January 25th, 2008, 6:35am
finally!! im glad for ya. :gvibes:

Janir
January 25th, 2008, 6:41am
That is AWESOME! You did everything right & I'm so happy it worked out for you!

Congrats on your $$$$$$

Luana2sea
January 25th, 2008, 6:50am
WOW:jawdrop: Persistance paid off.

Congrats:fairy3:.

I would have done the same.

tlak
January 25th, 2008, 7:15am

Class action would mean all the participants sueing. It's nice they wrote all this up, but if there is fraud/theft then this is irrelevant. Castrol is receiving benefit for running this contest, inceased sales, and paticipant lists, etc., so they have to hold up their end of the contract and give what is promised. If we all roll over, everybody will receive coffee mugs and key chains for their prizes.
Congrats on the final outcome.

Maprinces3
January 25th, 2008, 7:39am
Crossed these fingers and hope they actually make good on the promises made!
I would not sign anything (gag order) until the check is in hand... Frankly I have little faith in them, if they believed that inflated list