PDA

View Full Version : The Whole "Spa" Shebang

turtle
January 17th, 2008, 5:05pm
I am afraid this is going to sound so ignorant coming from a woman, but keep in mind I have been practically a shut-in for the last 8 years. Due to health/mobility issues, I just don't get out much. And I have a TV with an antenna, no cable or sattelite.
So many sweeps have Spa prizes. Spa trips, Spa Finder gift cards, Spa this and Spa that. Just what exactly goes on in a spa? What would I expect on a trip to a Spa resort? What would I spend a Spa Finder gift card on?
I can get out, with my walker and moving slowly, most of my friends don't enjoy outings with me anymore, but I have a teenage daughter that is patient with me and will do things with me. If the Spa is something relaxing and to make me feel better, I might be all up for that! I just don't know if I am the type of person who should be entering to win trips to spa resorts.
Could you all that know please let me know something about this? Thanks so much!

FaygoPop
January 17th, 2008, 5:11pm
I have no idea, since I have never even spent a day at the spa, let alone a vacation. I guess it is just a nice, relaxing resort where you will be pampered, get massages, pedicures, etc.

But the reason I wanted to reply, was if you enter for trip wins, with the intention of bringing a minor, make sure that the rules allow a minor to be a guest on the trip. It seems like it is about 50/50. 50% will let minors go, 50% won't. So, it is really important to read the rules before entering. I know I do, because I have kids, too.

Good luck, I hope you get a Spa Win sometime soon :gvibes:

jeepers
January 17th, 2008, 5:12pm
Different spa have so many different options-like manicures and pedicures to massages with oils or stones. Believe me, after being a shut-in for so long, it's a great way to get out and be pampered! The one I go to also does eye brows, hair cuts, waxing, etc. It just depends on which one you go to and what they have to offer.

tmmydrlng
January 17th, 2008, 5:12pm
Some spa gift cards can be used for haircuts & such. You can also order things online like a basket with shampoo & such in it.

moocowsue
January 17th, 2008, 5:16pm
If the Spa is something relaxing and to make me feel better, I might be all up for that! I just don't know if I am the type of person who should be entering to win trips to spa resorts.

It's very relaxing and yes, you should be entering. lol Everybody deserves to be pampered once in a while. Depending on the spa, there are all types of massages, facials, medi/pedicures, gosh I can't think of all the things they offer there's so many. It's so relaxing you'll feel like you just woke up from the deepest sleep. I think you would definitely benefit from pampering yourself - you're so worth it!!

luckylucy
January 17th, 2008, 5:20pm
Hi, A day at a Spa. You may change into a robe and go into the sauna or pool nude - or wear a bathing suit if you prefer. You may see a lot of nudity. Before you enter the spa, you can sign up for a massage, body scrub, facial or manicure or pedicure as others have suggested. Some women spend the whole day there and have lunch. After your scheduled massage, etc. you may want to go back into the spa, pool or just sit and read. That's what I know.

lakegirl25
January 17th, 2008, 5:25pm
I hope one comes your way in the very near future!

Here's some fairy dust for you! :fairy3::fairy3:

turtle
January 17th, 2008, 5:32pm
Thanks for all your help! I think that is something I would be interested in.
FaygoPop, Thanks for the advice. I am always careful about what I enter because I am afraid if I win something and cannot accept the prize, they may not consider me for a win ever again.
You know, you see ads in magazines and stuff about spas and theres a gorgeous young model there and it made me feel like it was just not the place for a lady hobbling around on a walker. LOL
But I think I will start entering some of those now. I may just love it if I can just win! I ain't getting nekkid though, lol. I'll stick with the robe.

judyv01510
January 17th, 2008, 5:44pm
lots of different types of spas. You could expect some or all of these. Massage(different types of these), facial, manicure, pedicure, spray on tans, waxing, hair care, whirlpool, sauna, mud bath, hot springs, mineral springs, soothing music, pampering, relaxing time, If I were you or me I would definately enter. Wishes you sweeping good luck. And give that daughter a hug from me, she deserves it.

Embee
January 17th, 2008, 6:02pm
I had never been before I won either. Let me tell you, if you don't mind being touched by a stranger, then it's heaven!! (I didn't know how I'd feel about it, but they were highly professional)

I found myself thinking too much to relax though, but it was serene and nice, (when I could block thoughts creeping in)

Everyone has limits for that sort of thing. I would think you might try a facial first, then go from there. I fell asleep during my facial! :magic:

Good Luck!

fangirl
January 17th, 2008, 6:39pm
I have done several "day spas" and even have a whole day prize to use in the next month or so. Yes, they usually offer massages of various types, manicures, pedicures, facials, and beauty treatments.

First thing, if you are having a massage, they will likely give you some minimal medical paperwork to fill out. Basically, they need to know if you have any particular physical problems or are pregnant. Given your mobility issues, a massage might really be a wonderful way to ease up your muscles. I have a bad hip, and I tell them that and they alway take care. You can ALWAYS tell them to back off if the pressure is too much or you are uncomfortable.

Next, you go into a room where they leave you alone to change out of your clothes and into a robe, or you may get direcly onto the massage table under the sheets. Lay down, face down with your face in a little padded "doughnut" with the sheet covering you. When they begin the massage, they will uncover areas of you that they are working on, but always keep things modest.

Facials are wonderful too. Again, you will likely lie back on a table in your robe and they will put wonderful creams and scrubs on your face and shoulders. This is very very relaxing.

With a pedicure, you will also yet a nice foot soak in a tub of warm water and a foot massage. It is similar for a manicure.

Trust me... it is a wonderful way to spend a day. Do NOT feel self-conscious. All body types go to spas. It is a pampering day and you will go home happy. It is all about you. They are there to take care of YOU. Very empowering.

luckylucy
January 17th, 2008, 6:49pm
Another comment on a massage. They usually ask you if you prefer a man or a woman. Some women prefer a man's larger hands and some are more comfortable with a woman. Either way, they never see you nude and will either leave the room while you flip over or hold up a sheet. Some will massage you while the sheet is on you so no skin to skin touch.

jolee62
January 17th, 2008, 6:50pm
I have never been to one but they sound very relaxing! I say enter enter enter and good luck to you!:fairy2:

NJsunbunny
January 17th, 2008, 7:01pm
When you win a Spa Finder gift card, they send it to you in a folder that gives you a list of all participants by state. What I do is go to a local hair salon that also is a day spa but I use it in their salon store where they sell all kinds of hair care products, makeup, nail products, shower gels, etc. This past summer when I went in they were running a clearance sale so I bought home a whole shopping bag of expensive hair care products and makeup! Your daughter would love it!

SillyLilly
January 17th, 2008, 7:14pm
You can find spas that accept GCs here. I had no idea you could even get laser hair removal and stuff. At one place near me you can even get cosmetic procedures like SmartLipo. I'm gonna start entering for those post haste!

http://www.spafinder.com/Spas/findspas.jsp

luckylucy
January 17th, 2008, 7:19pm
:grin3:Thanks all for suggesting how to use a SpaFinder gift card. I've been avoiding those contests also thinking I may not go or use it up.

NJsunbunny
January 17th, 2008, 7:32pm
:grin3:Thanks all for suggesting how to use a SpaFinder gift card. I've been avoiding those contests also thinking I may not go or use it up.

Here's the best part! The one time I went in I had won a $200.00 Spa Finder gift card. I shopped around and spend a little over a $100.00. I went to the register thinking that they would just give me a gift cert. for the balance and I would go back in a month or two and restock. What they did was give me the balance in cash! I left there and hit a Macy's one day sale!!!!

goodthunder
January 17th, 2008, 7:33pm
My sister gifted a 2 hour full body massage with a friend of hers. At first I was going crazy because it was a man but my sis assured me, they never never touch the area known as the bikini places. So by the time he came to her house I'd worked up the nerve. ( I am not a small woman ( overweight ) so I was terribly embarrassed to be undressed and under only a sheet. )
He was extremely discreet, and it was so wonderful I nearly fell asleep. I'd go for it again in a minute. Good Luck

luckylucy
January 17th, 2008, 7:37pm
Here's the best part! The one time I went in I had won a $200.00 Spa Finder gift card. I shopped around and spend a little over a $100.00. I went to the register thinking that they would just give me a gift cert. for the balance and I would go back in a month or two and restock. What they did was give me the balance in cash! I left there and hit a Macy's one day sale!!!!

WOO HOO!!! Cash!!!

Ejo2004
January 17th, 2008, 7:47pm
You should definitely enter the spa ones. I think spas have something for everyone. You could get a massage, facial, pedicure, or even just a manicure. I have only had pedicures but I took a tour through a fancy spa and they had so many things I would like to try.

Lorren
January 17th, 2008, 7:56pm
Thanks for asking the question because I was sort of wondering too. I was thinking that they were not for me because I get a little creeped out by the idea of strangers touching me. I could probably go for a manicure or a pedicure though, and if any do laser hair removal, there's one hair I want to get rid of that bothers me, lol.

I also like hair products because I have long hair that can always use some good conditioner. And my dd has very curly hair that if not conditioned properly can be a tangled mess!

Thanks for asking!

Psyche34
January 17th, 2008, 8:48pm
I avoid any for the trips to spas. I won one to Canyon Ranch Spa years ago and I quickly found I was a fish out of water. Lots of snobby, unfriendly rich folk, I felt very uncomfortable, at the spa at least. The staff laughed at our "Southern" accents, which I thought was rude, since we had the manners not to laugh at their Massachusetts accents just because it was unfamiliar to us.

We "escaped" whenever possible and went sightseeing, now that was wonderful because it was Autumn and the leaves were at their peak in the mountains.

Dinner at the spa was a hoot. There was nothing on the menu but rabbity food. We ordered soup and salad each. The waitress's jaw dropped and she said "you want BOTH?".
We "escaped" again, this time to go to a local diner, which was fun and tasty.

Now, I do enter for SpaFinder gift certificates because I would love a pedicure and a haircut anytime and I have a Spa close that accepts them. It's a good idea to check for a Spa in your area that takes them before you bother entering.

luckylucy
January 17th, 2008, 9:26pm
I avoid any for the trips to spas. I won one to Canyon Ranch Spa years ago and I quickly found I was a fish out of water. Lots of snobby, unfriendly rich folk, I felt very uncomfortable, at the spa at least.

Good Story - I can imagine that too if you win a trip to a fancy spa.

turtle
January 17th, 2008, 9:42pm
I am so glad I asked this question now. LOL I have been wondering for a couple of months but was afraid to ask. I love all this information! My southern drawl is real bad, but thats okay, I won't let them bother me! :coffee:

grandma44
January 17th, 2008, 9:52pm
I've never done the "spa thing" either but there is always so many helpful people here and it sounds TERRIFIC and so relaxing!! Here's some extra great vibes for your "spa win" in the near future!!!:fairy4::gvibes::fairy2::fairy2: