PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get a phone call from Manhattan Club??

nsalvofam
January 17th, 2008, 7:31am
:shock:I received a telephone message from The Manhattan Club saying that I entered a contest in December & they would like to "offer" me a complimentary pair of tickets to a broadway show & (1) nights stay at the Manhattan Club Hotel.
HMMM, sounds strange, since he didn't say I actually won anything.
Anyone else get the same call??
Thanks
Alli

mlminwilm
January 17th, 2008, 7:38am
Sounds like a timeshare presentation to me.

amd28
January 17th, 2008, 7:40am
they are timeshare,they had an office next to me,they call all the time too:bhead:

eileenfar
January 17th, 2008, 10:05am
They used to call me. I asked to be put on their in-house "do not call" list and no longer enter what they claim are "contests" which are instead opt-in lead lists for timeshare sales calls. They weren't deceitful about it when I called them out and did honor my do not call request. Much doubt there's a real winner there, even an extreme long shot winner.

I'd sure welcome some FTC action on these false sweepstakes advertising promotions that in fact don't award anything but phone calls. I'm sure we can all come up with a list of companies whose practices in this regard warrant enforcement of the existing rules and laws about false advertising. I don't think this company ought to be the poster child for what can happen, though I'd love to see a few held up as bad examples to the rest. It would sure chill the jets of semi-legit bottomfeeders who pretend to award prizes but actually do not do it and torment "entrants" non-stop once they put their name in the lead base.

gorgonzola
January 17th, 2008, 10:15am
A woman called this weekend. She was persistent and I had a hard time getting off the phone. The offer of a hotel for $199 in New York with theater tickets sounded too good to be true.

itspossible
January 17th, 2008, 10:20am
calls here too. I stopped entering.. and have never heard of a winner from there. I have wondered if they should remain in the directory at OLS because they do not seem to give away a prize. If I am wrong I will stand corrected. :coffee:

sascha_b
January 17th, 2008, 1:15pm
I stayed there on my WaMu trip win in December.
Really nice place and fantastic Manhattan location. We could walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc and there was a subway right around the corner. It's actually across the corner from Carnegie Hall.

I did some research on the hotel before we got there, and yes, it is a timeshare. There are some owner complaints about getting reservations (if you are interested in buying...lol), but they do open ressies to the public. Customer service isn't the friendliest, but I didn't have any special needs and didn't really care.

Most units are fairly spacious by NYC standards and most come with a mini-fridge, sink, microwave and small dishwasher. We saved big bucks buying food at grocery stores/take-out places right nearby.

A woman called this weekend. She was persistent and I had a hard time getting off the phone. The offer of a hotel for $199 in New York with theater tickets sounded too good to be true.
The offer is legit, but they will try to sell you. Some folks have complained they became abrupt and rude when you didn't accept while taking advantage of their offer (once you got there)

But if you have a strong backbone and don't care about attitude it would be a great place to stay on a visit to Manhattan.

jlemos
January 17th, 2008, 1:16pm
I received a call also. It's been quite awhile back. When I told the gentleman that I only entered to win a prize, he was quite polite and let me go quickly. I think that's the chance we take when we enter. I always just say I entered for the free stuff and laugh it off and they usually understand.

brynnet
January 17th, 2008, 4:29pm
I got the call also and "my lady" was obnoxious. She was asking me ?'s that I didn't feel like answering. I told her I wouldn't tell her my age or if I owned a home. She laughed and said, "You just sound so young. Are you sure you are (my name)?" I told her I wasn't interested, only wanted to win. she was saying how she would call at another time as I hung up.:bhead:

ogayle56
January 17th, 2008, 5:22pm
Three calls in a month.

You have to sit through a ninety minute presentation, so that is not really winning.

It is a timeshare.

nsalvofam
January 17th, 2008, 8:14pm
A sincere thanks to all who replied. I almost called them back because I thought maybe I did win a prize. Now I know.
Thanks again.
Alli:grin2: