PDA

View Full Version : Are the number of vehicle sweeps down?

ResourcePress
January 16th, 2008, 9:25am
In mysweeps, I hardly ever enter for vehicles this year. I looked at the list and it is only numbers 60 vehicles. Seems low to me. Anyone remember what the numbers were last year?

caseycupcake
January 16th, 2008, 9:32am
Yes. The number of car giveaways has been shrinking over the past year. :cry:

inspiringmind
January 16th, 2008, 9:41am
I think there are fewer vehicle sweeps because people who are winning are telling the JA that they can not afford the taxes. Most people can not afford to pay $1,000+ in taxes in one fail swoop. I won a $100,000 Mercedes Benz, there was no way I could have afforded the taxes on that. And not only do you get taxed once by your local DMV, you get taxed a second time by the federal government! I think they should start offering cash instead of vehicles.

sammyspet
January 16th, 2008, 10:27am
I think there are fewer vehicle sweeps because people who are winning are telling the JA that they can not afford the taxes. Most people can not afford to pay $1,000+ in taxes in one fail swoop. I won a $100,000 Mercedes Benz, there was no way I could have afforded the taxes on that. And not only do you get taxed once by your local DMV, you get taxed a second time by the federal government! I think they should start offering cash instead of vehicles.

You could probably sell the car to a dealership and pay taxes, then put the money in the bank. Would that be possible.

email me back

thanks

sammyspet

scod507@aol.com

inspiringmind
January 16th, 2008, 10:41am
You could probably sell the car to a dealership and pay taxes, then put the money in the bank. Would that be possible.

email me back

thanks

sammyspet

email was here

:sherlock: Yeah, I am way confused. I said I won one, but it was last year and I already resolved it. You should take your email addy off of the post also.

Reverie
January 16th, 2008, 11:00am
Actually even fewer than that are actually for cars or trucks - about 36 or 37 total. The rest are only 1 or 2 year leases, scooters, boats, motorcycles or something.

I think there are a few reasons for that, primarily that a sponsor doesn't need to offer a car to get attention as they did in the past. When you have thousands of sweepers who will enter anything and everything daily for cds or dvds or even coupons, why would they?

People entering for things they will not be able to pay taxes on and then requesting a substitute is another.

Asking for a less valuable prize after winning (substituting a trip for 8 with a trip for 2 for example) is yet another.

In rare cases, I suppose there are some sponsors who are no longer able to afford vehicle prizes, but I sincerely believe that's far from the main reason for the difference.

Indiscriminate entering is the main reason I believe. People are telling sponsors, directly or indirectly, that they want cheaper prizes and they got them - unfortunately for us all.

ResourcePress
January 16th, 2008, 11:18am
Indiscriminate entering is the main reason I believe. People are telling sponsors, directly or indirectly, that they want cheaper prizes and they got them - unfortunately for us all.

Good points everyone. I can't believe I didn't notice until today, how few vehicle sweeps there have been.

Hope each of us still gets to win a car. That's always the sweeper's dream win.

Lorren
January 16th, 2008, 11:50am
But I think that it's only sweepers that are entering everything and anything. The average joe, which is usually their target market, is not entering indiscriminately.

I'll enter for $10 gift cards and CDs because I'm already sitting at my computer entering for a lot of other things. Even if I enter for 50 $10 gift cards at a time, I've still entered for a lot more than just $10 in a sitting.

A non-sweeper is not going to see a "Win $10 at Blockbuster!" ad on a cereal box and decide to rush to the computer to enter for it. There has to be a bigger prize to draw them, or they won't bother.

I think that the main reason vehicle sweeps are down is because of the economy. People have less money so they will enter for lesser prizes, and companies have less money to give away, so they give less. JMO

htg20
January 16th, 2008, 12:04pm
Do you think that maybe sponsors know how people are feeling about gas prices lately and decide that a vehicle as a prize might not be as appealing to consumers?

yadgirl
January 16th, 2008, 12:05pm
It's January. It's a budget thing.

Reverie
January 16th, 2008, 2:11pm
Good points everyone. I can't believe I didn't notice until today, how few vehicle sweeps there have been.

Hope each of us still gets to win a car. That's always the sweeper's dream win.

I agree. And, as I said, there may be rare cases where the sponsor's budget or economy is the reason, but I just don't see it that way.

For example, Wendy's has had several major promotions recently. A current one is:

Wendy's - Combo Up To Download Instant Win Game
5x daily per person | home page | instant | 6 notes rate it report link
Grand Prizes (100): 8GB SanDisk Sansa Rhapsody MP3 player preloaded with hundreds of songs via Rhapsody Channels and Playlists [30 day trial period; thereafter a paid subscription required] (ARV $250).
First Prizes (2,000): Rhapsody code good for 50 music downloads (ARV $49.50).

The ARV of all those prizes is $124,000. Could be 6 cars. Could be 4 $31,000 cash prizes. Could even be 124 $1,000 cash prizes. And so on. Same budget ... different prizes.

But it's not. It's 2,100 small prizes. And are people entering every day? Of course. Are they entering 5x per day? Yes. Are some entering more than 5x per day? You bet. Same budget ... more advertising exposure.