PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to everyone and here's a lesson to learn...

evagoblin
January 15th, 2008, 12:52pm
I recently posted a question on the forums asking whether Don Jagoda which sent me a letter claiming I was a "potential" winner of a cruise sweepstakes was legit. I was suspicious of the word "potential", because air was not included and the letter said that the cruise had to be taken by the end of Nov. 0f 2007 (I had received it at the beginning of that Nov.!) but it had to be booked 45 days ahead of time with three potential booking dates AND had blackout dates. It sounded like those awful travel certificate that I get going to timeshare presentations that are essentially so much hassle to redeem that I never use them. Well, all of you told me that it WAS a legitimate judging company and XXXOOO to the person that sent me a copy of the ORIGINAL sweepstakes rules that showed that the air WAS included AND was told that it only said "potential" winner because until they get the affidavit they don't want to say you officially won.

It took forever for me to find out everything, first because Jagoda was checking to see if the air WAS included when I sent her a copy of the rules that were online and two, later on, when the sponsor was waiting for Jagoda to notify me that the 1099 will be higher because the value of prize was increased because they WERE including the air. Perhaps my contact was very busy at Jagoda because she was always out and I had to leave messages which she rarely returned but I went on the internet, and found out the contact person of the sponsor who finally told her when I left a message telling him that I wasn't being contacted, contacted me directly.

I know this story is long but here's the point I posted it. The drawing was originally held in July and I asked why I wasn't notified until Nov. He told me that I was probably the third or fourth person picked for the Grand Prize because the first three never responded to the letter Jagoda sent out (probably throwing out the letter thinking it junk mail not having heard of their company, I open EVERYTHING) and then because of the misprint if they DID read it, cruise needed to be taken by Nov. 2008 NOT 2007, or the fact that it said "potential" winner thought it one of those timeshare useless certificates and thrown it out because of that. (Friend of mine told me not to post this saying it's good if other sweepstakers don't know so they throw out their winning letters but people who read this are dedicated sweepstakers so I don't think they will but I feel this is a helpful community so I wanted to post this) but here are some things to remember. If you get a letter saying you won but there are some confusing points, call and QUESTION them, that's how I found out the cruise expiration date was wrong and I GOT the air. They told me that the including the air was a MISTAKE and was withdrawn from the rules but somehow the person who posted that rule found the first and original posting, so that's why I got it. But most important I learned is if a prize is awarded they HAVE to give it out so even if you aren't one of the first winners, be patient, you may eventually win it. So now my only question is should I take the east Caribbean cruise or the west one, but I guess I should go to the Cruisecritic forum for that one:rolleyes2!!

caseycupcake
January 15th, 2008, 1:01pm
I have found that, for the most part, info shared here is useful AND true. Nothing wrong with asking questions! Enjoy your trip.

Motownmama
January 15th, 2008, 1:02pm
Congrats on a great win. Persistence does pay off!!! As for which itinerary to book, I think either one would be a great cruise.

But most important I learned is if a prize is awarded they HAVE to give it out so even if you aren't one of the first winners, be patient, you may eventually win it.

This is not always the case. Alot of sweepstakes rules now say that unclaimed prizes will not be awarded.

VALENTINE
January 15th, 2008, 1:05pm
http://www.gingerbreadshows.com/img/grat.gif
I would be tempted to go east if Europe is in the destinations.

goodthunder
January 15th, 2008, 1:06pm
What ever cruise you decide on, May the wind be gentle on your face ! Have a great time.

pambanter
January 15th, 2008, 1:13pm
What ever cruise you decide on, May the wind be gentile on your face ! Have a great time.Bwa hahahaha!

Congrats, OP!

SFOSTER284
January 15th, 2008, 1:18pm
Don Jagoda & Associates is one of the most respected sweepstakes judging agencies, one of the premier judging agencies. They judged a recent sweepstakes in which I was a finalist to win a house. Although I didn't win, they were scrupulously fair & just, and I was very impressed by their professionalism. Along with D.L. Blair, Young America Corporation, Marden-Kane & a few others, they are the class of judging agencies. When I saw your post, and saw Don Jagoda & Associates mentioned, I couldn't help but offer my input. Good luck!

Jessica25
January 15th, 2008, 1:23pm
East or West? Did you look at which islands are included in each? Personally, I think I would pick whichever one is more expense (as long as the timing matched my schedule). Expensive may mean 'nicer'. But also, if you ever decide to take your own cruise out of your pocket, then you could take the cheaper one. Get it?

Congrats!!

luckylucy
January 15th, 2008, 1:36pm
:sing:Thanks for sharing!

Scibba
January 15th, 2008, 1:47pm
Yes, I recently won a trip where Don Jagoda assoc. inc. was the JA. Still waiting on the phone call with travel arrangements --- hoping they hold off for just a bit so that my DH can figure out his '08 vacation schedule. They aren't allowed to schedule until after Feb.

carscheles
January 15th, 2008, 2:27pm
Congrats!!!

I've only been to the East and loved it!

I'd also do the West since I've never done it before but I've been hearing that there's been problems with crime - especially in the Jamaica ports.

Which ever one you choose - have a blast!

cman
January 15th, 2008, 2:40pm
great story. congrats. I went to Barbados with rum contest and it was wonderful. I've never been to the east. have a great trip

Reverie
January 15th, 2008, 2:41pm
Thanks to everyone and here's a lesson to learn...

I recently posted a question on the forums asking whether Don Jagoda which sent me a letter claiming I was a "potential" winner of a cruise sweepstakes was legit. ... Well, all of you told me that it WAS a legitimate judging company and XXXOOO to the person that sent me a copy of the ORIGINAL sweepstakes rules that showed that the air WAS included AND was told that it only said "potential" winner because until they get the affidavit they don't want to say you officially won.

It was so nice of you to take the time to thank everyone who gave you good advice and helpful support for such a favorable outcome. It was very gracious of you. :)

Congratulations and enjoy your cruise!

lassss
January 15th, 2008, 2:41pm
Congrats!!!!

We went on a Western one in Oct and LOVVVVVED it!! We went to Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios Jamaica. I highly suggest wherever you go to book a tour, esp in Jamaica, if not, you will get HOUNDED by locals to buy their good.

We went on a Pub Crawl in Key West, snorkeling in Grand Cayman and I should have booked the horseback riding in Jamaica, instead we went to the flea market and got hounded.

Have fun wherever you decide!!

duknuk
January 15th, 2008, 2:45pm
My son used to work with them and I remember him telling me about how many times they had to contact another person for that sweep.

He no longer works there, so I feel I can post that.