PDA

View Full Version : Much better news update! - Short-changed on prize?

carscheles
January 15th, 2008, 11:16am
Another update to - http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/showthread.php?t=646453

This morning I called the CEO of Castrol (got his voice mail) and left a message for him. I told him who I was and what prize my husband won. I asked him if anyone informed him of the issues surrounding the value of the prize. I told him if he wasn't aware that he could contact me and I left my phone number.

Well apparantly he wasn't informed about what was going on. Within an hour of that call, I got a call from the assistant to the VP of Marketing. I'm not going to go into full details of what she said about the work because she probably shouldn't have said some of what she said to me.

But to sum it up, Castrol is asking for a full breakdown of what went into the car. After they determine the value of what went into the car, then they will proceed to make things right from there. She apologized and told me that Castrol isn't that type of company and wants to make sure that we get the full value of our prize.

Wow! I'm so glad I kept on this or things might not have turned out the way they did. I'm sure I'll let you know more details as they come up but for now, I'm happy that we'll be getting what we won!!!

caseycupcake
January 15th, 2008, 11:20am
That's great news. Sometimes it pays to go up the chain of command. I'm sure they will now work on making it fair for you and hopefully have a car you can be proud of!

gabyzee
Good for you!

Keep us posted on the outcome.....

tlak
Good for you.

johnpatrick
January 15th, 2008, 11:21am
Thanks for the follow-up. It's been interesting to follow what is going on with this prize. Good job on being so proactive!

anjasmom
January 15th, 2008, 11:23am
I am so glad they are making things right for you, that is great! :smile8:

jolee62
January 15th, 2008, 11:24am
Thats great news!!!!

April1p
January 15th, 2008, 11:24am
Good for you. I hope they make it right which is all you wanted and should expect:highfive:.

astromynx
January 15th, 2008, 11:25am
Yay! I'm looking forward to seeing new pics after they finish with the car. :)

Janir
January 15th, 2008, 11:26am
Yah! I too have been following your saga & am very happy to hear this.

Sounds like everything's going to be O.K.!

BentonWesley
January 15th, 2008, 11:28am
FANTASTIC news!!! Keep us posted on what happens!

Petuniapig11
What wonderful news!!! I know this has been rather stressful for you, but it sounds as though they are a good sponsor who really wants to make things right!:faces:

AsTheNight
That's great news! Thanks for keeping us updated.

anny31
January 15th, 2008, 11:29am
wow wonderful bout time you get some good results!
good for you and DH!:drum:

robsterclaw
January 15th, 2008, 11:32am
That's good! In my first reply in this mess, I said I thought the sponsor was getting hosed along with you.

Jacklyn
January 15th, 2008, 11:34am
Good for you! You did the right thing. I'm so glad that Castrol is stepping up to the plate!

witwidow
January 15th, 2008, 11:35am
awesome-- glad to hear hte good news-- let us know more when you can

SASE
January 15th, 2008, 11:39am
Glad to hear things are looking up! :toot:

Tarah716
January 15th, 2008, 11:42am
I'm glad things are going better - I'm guessing the JA company failed to help you which is why you went above their head.

chestnutfall
January 15th, 2008, 11:42am
I'm so thrilled that you did contact the top brass!!!
I figured they didn't have a clue about what was going in regards to their
promotions department.
I hope that you end up getting a nice large check, very soon!!!! $$$$ what
a nice color that will be.
Please keep us all updated about your resolution to your issue.

This is a Partial quote from your January 6 thread (my post #35)

"If it were me I'd contact the following sponser "Castrol Syntec/BP Lubricants"
I would send a letter to their North American Division Presidents or to there top brass
with carbons (return receipt requested from the post office) to eprize or who ever handle the ja duties as well as the "company"
that was contracted!! to fulfill the restoration!!! A letter to the general consul of
"BP" might be the ticket, too. Look up the Board of Directors contact info. to have
on hand.

I'm sure that a hugh gobal company like "BP" would be appauled with having
their consumer marketing/adverstising promotion be an embarassment and thus a potential
loss to their bottom line.

I think that the sponsers have no clue that who they contraccted to carry out
the restoration was and is so unprofessional.

I'm quite sure that the sponsering company has no clue about your situation."

margarita_mama
January 15th, 2008, 11:48am
Good deal!

carscheles
January 15th, 2008, 11:54am
I'm so thrilled that you did contact the top brass!!!
I figured they didn't have a clue about what was going in regards to their
promotions department.
I hope that you end up getting a nice large check, very soon!!!! $$$$ what
a nice color that will be.
Please keep us all updated about your resolution to your issue.

This is a Partial quote from your January 6 thread (my post #35)

"If it were me I'd contact the following sponser "Castrol Syntec/BP Lubricants"
I would send a letter to their North American Division Presidents or to there top brass
with carbons (return receipt requested from the post office) to eprize or who ever handle the ja duties as well as the "company"
that was contracted!! to fulfill the restoration!!! A letter to the general consul of
"BP" might be the ticket, too. Look up the Board of Directors contact info. to have
on hand.

I'm sure that a hugh gobal company like "BP" would be appauled with having
their consumer marketing/adverstising promotion be an embarassment and thus a potential
loss to their bottom line.

I think that the sponsers have no clue that who they contraccted to carry out
the restoration was and is so unprofessional.

I'm quite sure that the sponsering company has no clue about your situation."

You're right, that going up the chain was beneficial to us. I felt that I had to give them a chance to make things right at a lower level first. If we bothered the CEO's of companies every time something could be fixed at a lower level, they wouldn't listen to us anymore. I felt like I exhausted my other alternatives and that it was finally time to contact the CEO.

I hope that other's having problems go through the appropriate steps first. I'd hate to see everyone running to the CEO if it's not necessary. But it's a good thing to do if nothing else is working.

luckylucy
January 15th, 2008, 11:54am
:cheer:Smart move! Good for you! Thanks for sharing!

packerfan
January 15th, 2008, 12:06pm
Glad to hear you have made good progress. Keep us updated!

ROADGIRL
January 15th, 2008, 12:09pm
I'm glad the sponsor will make them do right. It appears that they were trying to get away with something.

Babygirl2
January 15th, 2008, 12:10pm
I have been following this and I am so happy for you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The work done on your car was not impressive in the least, especially given who worked on it.

Glad you didn't give up and accept it as it was. Can't wait to hear the outcome of this!

eileenfar
January 15th, 2008, 12:11pm
I am SO glad to hear it. Please, please keep us posted as this sweeping drama plays out, hopefully to a happy ending. It's finally sounding like it's on the right track to do that.

Whew! If there were a Medal of Honor for sweep winner conduct, you're my candidate.

tawnjun
January 15th, 2008, 12:16pm
Persistance IS key. I hope it goes smoothly from here. Congrats. Let us know more.

khristal23
January 15th, 2008, 12:16pm
That's wonderful news! I'm glad things are working out.

pambanter
January 15th, 2008, 12:18pm
I am so very proud of you! :encore:

boydbr
January 15th, 2008, 12:20pm
So glad to hear it! It is about time!

PanamaKay
January 15th, 2008, 12:20pm
Good 4 U. I always have believed that you need to keep moving up the ladder of the chain of command to get your point across with companies. Sometimes the people we deal with make bad decisions and they need to be rectified. I always voice my complaints in writing to the companies I deal with and I also voice my praise. Both of which pay off. I wrote a complimentary email to the headquarters of my local grocery store indicating how pleased I was with a certain purchase in their meat/deli department. They responded by presenting me with coupons for 12 cartons of ice cream free. It pays to be nice and it pays to be patient and it pays to go to the top. Congratulations!

woobie772
January 15th, 2008, 12:26pm
Hi there,

I've been following all your posts about this prize, so I was delighted to read this morning's news that you've finally gotten someone to listen and take action. Yeah for you!! :toot:

I look forward to reading all about the rightful restoration of your car!

--Deb in NYC

SaneDough
January 15th, 2008, 12:39pm
Good For You!

I love smart strong women!:highfive:

Smart to follow the "chain of command"...and strong to go to the top when the lower rungs of the ladder were no help!

Brava!!!!

keep us posted!

bluenude3
January 15th, 2008, 12:45pm
Well its good to hear, but I'm sorry you have had to go through all this trouble.

Simone

:faces:

sascha_b
January 15th, 2008, 12:45pm
I'm so glad it's getting resolved so quickly!:drum:
It was evident someone at the JA was covering their butt slowly...
Good for you! and congrats!

You're right, that going up the chain was beneficial to us. I felt that I had to give them a chance to make things right at a lower level first. If we bothered the CEO's of companies every time something could be fixed at a lower level, they wouldn't listen to us anymore. I felt like I exhausted my other alternatives and that it was finally time to contact the CEO.

I hope that other's having problems go through the appropriate steps first. I'd hate to see everyone running to the CEO if it's not necessary. But it's a good thing to do if nothing else is working.

:yesyes: Very wise.
Congrats again!:highfive:

hudson9610
January 15th, 2008, 12:57pm
well done.I'm glad that everything is going your way nowKeep us updated on progress

jackie241
January 15th, 2008, 12:58pm
Great news!

Rhozalea
January 15th, 2008, 1:08pm
Another update to - http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/showthread.php?t=646453

This morning I called the CEO of Castrol (got his voice mail) and left a message for him. I told him who I was and what prize my husband won. I asked him if anyone informed him of the issues surrounding the value of the prize. I told him if he wasn't aware that he could contact me and I left my phone number.

Well apparantly he wasn't informed about what was going on. Within an hour of that call, I got a call from the assistant to the VP of Marketing. I'm not going to go into full details of what she said about the work because she probably shouldn't have said some of what she said to me.

But to sum it up, Castrol is asking for a full breakdown of what went into the car. After they determine the value of what went into the car, then they will proceed to make things right from there. She apologized and told me that Castrol isn't that type of company and wants to make sure that we get the full value of our prize.

Wow! I'm so glad I kept on this or things might not have turned out the way they did. I'm sure I'll let you know more details as they come up but for now, I'm happy that we'll be getting what we won!!!

you have been so polite & patient u deserve a special prize in addition to the "righting of the wrong":hugs:

bbking
January 15th, 2008, 1:16pm
Happy Happy news this morning! Good for you, we are so happy for you guys. Cant wait to hear how they break down everything they have done and try to justify it. You go girl! Most of the time if a win I get isnt what its suppose to be or a lower priced item I just let it go. But a win that big, and the hefty tax it will bring..nope. I hope soon I will feel the envy for you on your win. For once I so want to and thats one thing I try to never feel...but oh, I so want to this one and I will, too. Cheers for you going off in my head dear!

RsbrySwrrl
January 15th, 2008, 1:23pm
I'm so happy for you that they are going to take care of making the situation right. I would also recommend that if they give you any additional paperwork to sign, that you make sure you (and maybe an attorney) read it over thoroughly before signing. Make sure you don't sign away the right to sue them at some later date if something awful happens with the car like a wheel falls off or something.

Congrats!!

jesmommy
January 15th, 2008, 3:21pm
I'm so glad they are going to fix this for you, thanks for all of the updates:)

pandka
January 15th, 2008, 3:38pm
:encore: Good job! I'm glad things look like they are going to work out.

donnav07
January 15th, 2008, 4:30pm
I'm happy it's all working out for you. Good job and kudos to you for keeping your cool.

Donna

Lorren
January 15th, 2008, 4:30pm
Looks like things will go well from now on. Good job! And makes me think better of Castrol as well!

maryte
January 15th, 2008, 4:42pm
That's great to hear! Buy Castrol products, everyone! :sing:

MomofCourtney
January 15th, 2008, 4:46pm
The squeaky wheel gets the oil! Good for you not being a doormat and standing up for yourself.

scubasteph
January 15th, 2008, 4:51pm
Good to hear they are going to make this right!

carscheles
January 15th, 2008, 5:21pm
I just got this email from the Director of Marketing Services.

"It was a pleasure speaking with you this morning. As we discussed this morning, Castrol is committed to ensuring that you receive the prize value that was promised to you and as outlined in our promotion. And, as I indicated, we are still awaiting receipt of the itemized list of work (including costs associated with it) from Flex. I ensure you we are working as diligently as possible to obtain this document. As soon as we receive, we will send to you.

Please, if you have any questions, or comments, don't hesitate to contact me."

I'm very curious to see what's on that list. But for now, it's just a sit tight and wait.

lindalou1
January 15th, 2008, 5:30pm

"It was a pleasure speaking with you this morning. As we discussed this morning, Castrol is committed to ensuring that you receive the prize value that was promised to you and as outlined in our promotion. And, as I indicated, we are still awaiting receipt of the itemized list of work (including costs associated with it) from Flex. I ensure you we are working as diligently as possible to obtain this document. As soon as we receive, we will send to you.

I'm very curious to see what's on that list. But for now, it's just a sit tight and wait.

Good for you. Glad they are making it right. Someone at Flex must be trying to figure out how they are going to work out this itemization!

ContestQueen2002
January 15th, 2008, 5:47pm
Very cool!!! It sounds like the sponsor is on top of this, I'm glad you made the call to contact them! Still following this and hope they get you taken care of soon!

Wishing us all wins today,

Donna P. :royal:

Adrianita
January 15th, 2008, 5:51pm
Great! :highfive:

Styflan
January 15th, 2008, 6:41pm
That's great news!!! I'm so happy that you finally will get some satisfaction now. You really went thru a lot of trouble for this win. I hope they do right by you.

ksmith47
January 15th, 2008, 7:11pm
Good deal! I'm glad this is working out for you!

Thank you, Castrol, for stepping up to the plate!:toot:

taylynn
January 15th, 2008, 7:47pm
Good news, I hope things work out the way you want them to!

cocoroe
January 15th, 2008, 8:00pm
thats good news...good for you :bee:

yadgirl
January 15th, 2008, 8:18pm
I'm thrillled that you won't be paying taxes on a $50,000 pile of junk.

Godzilla in Pa
January 15th, 2008, 8:23pm
I guess I'm not as optimistic as everyone else but this is a step in the right direction. Keep holding their feet to the fire and please keep us updated. Good luck!

tullfan
January 15th, 2008, 8:31pm
That's great! I hope they compensate you for all the anguish you had to experience over what should have been a thoroughly joyous event. Best of luck.

Rookiesmom
January 15th, 2008, 8:44pm
Now that you've got someone's attention who can make a decision, I think it will get pretty interesting from here on out. In all likelyhood Flex will in no way be able to justify what he said he spent on the car especially with all the documentation and pictures that you have. For the money...your car should have been stripped down to the frame, sand blasted, painted, refitted with a new engine, tranny, driveshaft, differential, wheels, interior, sound system, tires,lights, shocks, seals, windows, much less a PERFECT paint job. You may still have some battles left to fight on this one but my bottom line would be if that you can't get the car the way you expected then I would settle for Flex buying the car for the 50K he "said" he put into it and the 4-5k it was worth when you delevered it to him. That way you have a great outcome, Castrol holds Flex accountable and Flex gets to hold the POS that he produced.....keep us posted...this will be an interesting study on how the blame game is worked. (between flex and Castrol). The best of Luck to you in this, all of us are rooting for you.

sascha_b
January 15th, 2008, 10:35pm

Translates to: "Oh Sh** we have a PR nightmare on our hands". In other words, I think you will receive a resolution that will be satisfactory. Or they may try a less satisfactory approach first...but we know (and you've shown) that you're no dummy!! They'll fold under your assertive approach at some point, and all will be well.

I predict a happy ending...but again, I'm the eternal optimist!!

Congrats on the next step towards full restitution!

carscheles
January 16th, 2008, 5:45am
I guess I'm not as optimistic as everyone else but this is a step in the right direction. Keep holding their feet to the fire and please keep us updated. Good luck!

Oh trust me, I know that this still has the potential to turn out bad. I'm just happy that we're seeing progress. Baby steps are all we can hope for.

carscheles
January 16th, 2008, 5:51am
Now that you've got someone's attention who can make a decision, I think it will get pretty interesting from here on out. In all likelyhood Flex will in no way be able to justify what he said he spent on the car especially with all the documentation and pictures that you have. For the money...your car should have been stripped down to the frame, sand blasted, painted, refitted with a new engine, tranny, driveshaft, differential, wheels, interior, sound system, tires,lights, shocks, seals, windows, much less a PERFECT paint job. You may still have some battles left to fight on this one but my bottom line would be if that you can't get the car the way you expected then I would settle for Flex buying the car for the 50K he "said" he put into it and the 4-5k it was worth when you delevered it to him. That way you have a great outcome, Castrol holds Flex accountable and Flex gets to hold the POS that he produced.....keep us posted...this will be an interesting study on how the blame game is worked. (between flex and Castrol). The best of Luck to you in this, all of us are rooting for you.

It's funny because everything you said are things we've already talked about.

You're right, all those things you mentioned are things we expected to see on the car.

And you're right, we probably still have some battles left to fight. If Flex comes back with an itemized list that says $50,000 went into the car, then we have to take that list, the car, and the pictures to a body shop and pay them for an estimate of what they would have charged. And if we get that all worked out, then the next stage is what to do. Do we give him back the car to finish? How long do we let him have? What is he going to do this time? Will we be happy with the results the second time we get it back? So by no means is this a done deal yet.

And yes, I've said that to DH all along. If Flex insists that $50k went into the car, then he can buy it from us and we'd be fine with that - I doubt that would ever happen!

carscheles
January 16th, 2008, 5:53am
Translates to: "Oh Sh** we have a PR nightmare on our hands". In other words, I think you will receive a resolution that will be satisfactory. Or they may try a less satisfactory approach first...but we know (and you've shown) that you're no dummy!! They'll fold under your assertive approach at some point, and all will be well.

I predict a happy ending...but again, I'm the eternal optimist!!

Congrats on the next step towards full restitution!

LOL - I think you hit the nail on the head!

irishlass226
January 16th, 2008, 12:01pm
I Am happy that things are atleast moving in the right direction and I am so keeping my fingers crossed and sending good vibes that you get everything you want.

sascha_b
January 16th, 2008, 12:11pm
And yes, I've said that to DH all along. If Flex insists that $50k went into the car, then he can buy it from us and we'd be fine with that - I doubt that would ever happen!
Please, please, please videotape that conversation for our amusement!!!!
And time it so a Castrol rep is standing right there.....oh, the fun you could have....:rofl2:

pambanter
January 16th, 2008, 2:27pm

I'm very curious to see what's on that list. But for now, it's just a sit tight and wait.Now, THAT, almost made my eyes well up! That is the best news I have heard ALL DAY!

coljim
January 16th, 2008, 2:47pm
That's great. I'm very happy for you.

pambanter
January 16th, 2008, 2:57pm
OK, Carsheles. Look at this....the new Funkmaster Flex Edition Expedition is going to be around 40K+. Tell them you will take that instead. I don't see any of these kinds of customizations on YOUR car. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/pambanter/mad0245.gif

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_new_york/0703_2008_ford_expedition_funkmaster_flex_edition/photo_03.html

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_new_york/0703_2008_ford_expedition_funkmaster_flex_edition/photo_02.html

http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/3/article_id_int/2734

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2007_new_york/0703_2008_ford_expedition_funkmaster_flex_edition/index.html

And this is the big fat poopy head talking about his new Expedition.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/06/funkmaster-flex-on-the-expedition-fmf-edition-video-interview/

carscheles
January 16th, 2008, 4:23pm
OK, Carsheles. Look at this....the new Funkmaster Flex Edition Expedition is going to be around 40K+. Tell them you will take that instead. I don't see any of these kinds of customizations on YOUR car.

And this is the big fat poopy head talking about his new Expedition.

LOL - You crack me up! I think he's doing an Explorer for them now too.

Heck, I'll take one of his personal cars instead! Castrol mentioned that it will be thier prize for next year's contest.

Do you think he'll be putting pictures of our car on his website too? http://www.teambaurtwell.com/customtruck.htm

ContestQueen2002
January 16th, 2008, 5:08pm
LOL - You crack me up! I think he's doing an Explorer for them now too.

Heck, I'll take one of his personal cars instead! Castrol mentioned that it will be thier prize for next year's contest.

Do you think he'll be putting pictures of our car on his website too? http://www.teambaurtwell.com/customtruck.htm

Dang seriously he does do NICE work as shown in the pics posted so sheesh seriously why did he take THIS challenge if he was only going to do a half-a@@ job on it??? Makes you wonder huh? Nope the way it is now he sure won't put your car on his site sorry lol.

Well I'm still pulling for you that the sponsor takes care of this asap!

Keep us updated and don't stress too much :grin5:

Wishing us all wonderful wins today that aren't a PITA,

Donna P. :royal: in one of my moods today sorry LOL

Website designer who's about ready to make a NICE (yeah right) one for the sponsor and the mechanic LMAO

Lesson here don't mess with sweepers!!! :yesyes:

triple*eee
January 16th, 2008, 6:10pm

Now hopefully they will give an honest, accurate itemized list of work to them.

carscheles
January 17th, 2008, 6:07pm
I got an email from Castrol a little while ago -

"Please look for a federal express package from Castrol (including the itemized list of work) - package is being sent out tonight for delivery tomorrow morning."

Ugh - now I have to wait till tomorrow to find out what's going on - even though she could have summed things up for me in the email.

I'll let you all know tomorrow after I get the package.

pambanter
January 17th, 2008, 6:23pm
Maybe it's a 40 thousand dollar check! :cool3:

JACK SPARROW
January 17th, 2008, 6:33pm
:drum:Maybe it's a 40 thousand dollar check! :cool3:

Yea!! I hope it is for her troubles.

bomar97
January 17th, 2008, 6:55pm
I've got my fingers crossed that it works out!! I know you could get skunked because the work was done by a high end $$$$$ shop! But I'm thinking that Castrol would have rather have something work out that they could show as a plus to the sweeps, not something that came out looking like nothing was done!

Lorren
January 17th, 2008, 8:00pm
If he won't put your car on his web site, maybe I can put it on my blog! LOL

BentonWesley
January 17th, 2008, 8:16pm
Maybe it's a 40 thousand dollar check! :cool3:

Hell, that would be nice! She could still get the car fixed up AND have money to put in the bank!

triple*eee
January 17th, 2008, 8:23pm

"Please look for a federal express package from Castrol (including the itemized list of work) - package is being sent out tonight for delivery tomorrow morning."

Ugh - now I have to wait till tomorrow to find out what's going on - even though she could have summed things up for me in the email.

Hopefuilly it's not a doctored itemized list totaling up to the original amount. Let's hope for a big check!

IplaymyGuitar
January 17th, 2008, 8:32pm
youre remaining positive about this, thats good. I think they are going to make it right for you. I really do!

caseycupcake
January 23rd, 2008, 2:21pm

Well, what's up?

melonhed
January 23rd, 2008, 2:40pm
Well, what's up?

http://forums.online-sweepstakes.com/showthread.php?t=647832