PDA

View Full Version : Car tags...is there a grace period?

deborah62
December 24th, 2007, 10:39am
I am supposed to renew my car tags at the end of the month,does anyone know if there is a 30 day grace period?
How about a grace period for renewing your license? How much trouble will a person be in if they are driving with an expired license?:shhh: I have never in my life not renewed my car tags or license on time.

Lanne
December 24th, 2007, 10:42am
In Michigan, there is a fine if you renew either after their expiration date. It may vary state to state.

Globug_47
December 24th, 2007, 10:54am
In most states, there is a 5 day "grace" period in renewing your tags. This means that you won't have to pay any penalty fees for being late in renewing those tags.

HOWEVER, there is no grace period when it comes to driving a vehicle that has expired tags. If you are pulled over while driving a vehicle with expired tags, the officer may take pity on you due to the holidays..... but more likely than not, you will be written a ticket for the expired tags. The fines vary from state to state.

I'm fortunate that my tags expire during the summer months rather than during the holiday months. So it doesn't add any financial strain on me to renew them right away.

As far as driving on an expired license, most officers will just call in your license number to make sure that you actually have had one. You will get a ticket for driving without a valid driver's license and once again.... the fine will vary from state to state.

tomfarr
December 24th, 2007, 11:20am
Check your Department of Motor Vehicles online. I have never heard of a grace period if you are stopped for driving without a license or having an unregistered vehicle. A lot would depend on the policeman that stopped you and the circumstance. Good Luck.

smurf-42
December 24th, 2007, 11:33am
Not sure of the laws in OH, but I am always late renewing my car and getting it inspected. The only thing I get done on time is driver license renewal. Matter of fact, I was so late getting my one car done this year, hubby just slapped the new inspection stickers on the car. Thank goodness he a mechanic that can do that.

astromynx
December 24th, 2007, 11:41am
I don't know about where you are, but in Alabama, there's no grace period- only a fine for being late.

PAbound
December 24th, 2007, 12:39pm
In TN where I live, there is no "grace" period nor is there a fine if you renew your tags late....no matter when you renew them. You do have to pay for the whole year regardless of when you renew. Your renewal date never changes. I pay $100 each year.

If you do get a ticket for expired tags, you are told to go to court on a particular day, but once you get there all you have to do is show them that you did finally renew & off you go...no fine.

I'm sure all states are different...you just have to check & see what applies to you in your state.

skpaw
December 28th, 2007, 1:35am
In Michigan, there is a fine if you renew either after their expiration date. It may vary state to state.

Yes, Mom was sick and was late renewing her license (she did not drive while it was expired). They made her pay extra to renew. The sticker was not due then so there was no late charge for that. I know they will pull you over and ticket you if you are even a day late though with the sticker or license plate here.

If possible get this taken care of on time so you don't have tickets, and other problems. I was told that my insurance does not cover any unlicensed driver -- even the car owner -- so if you were in even a minor accident, you would have to pay for all damage and medical bills. If it were a larger crash it could quickly run into the thousands.....

TinyMoMo
December 28th, 2007, 2:59am
It's 30 days here in Ohio Deb!
Go to the BMV in Gahanna-it is the nicest in town!