PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling Hearst, Good Housekeeping, Seventeen Magazines

bnit2winit
October 17th, 2007, 5:19am
Trying to enter a Good Housekeeping contest I slipped up and hit the submit button seconds before noticing I hadn't registered under the non-subscription page. Thankfully I found an old post by Ellie277 with the webpages for cancellation. The thread was too old to bump hence why I am posting this info here. Hopefully this will be of some use to others who might have made the same mistake.

credit to Ellie277 for finding these cancellation pages

"It is very easy to subscribe to magazines accidently when entering the Hearst Sweeps. Here is the link to cancel the subscription from Good Housekeeping:
https://secure.hearstmags.com/gemin...ancel_save.html

I'm sure the other magazine has a similar process for canceling. If it has been within a month or so, it is easy to cancel without having to pay anything for the magazines. Good luck.

Added: Here is the link for Seventeen Magazine cancelation:

https://secure.hearstmags.com/gemin...ancel_save.html "

Thanks and credit to Dawggy for the cust svc phone #

1-800-388-1749

bnit2winit
October 17th, 2007, 5:58am
credit to lifesfun:

JFYI If it's a Hearst magazine you can manage any subscription, including canceling them, at their website.

http://central.hearstmags.com/

Click on "customer service" under the magazine you were subscribed to.

*Harriett*
October 17th, 2007, 8:15am
I like to call and cancel.

bnit2winit
October 17th, 2007, 10:38am
I like to call and cancel.

I found this number in another thread to call to cancel.
Toll-free Hearst subscription department is 1-800-888-2676 (live person).

Also, by cancelling via the web they sent me a confirmation email.

deesbree
October 17th, 2007, 4:18pm
I have recieved so many bills for magazines in the mail but have not recieved the magazines. I just write did not order-cancel on the bills and mail them back. I think they are use to accident orders that they send the bills out first to save on the cost of a magazine. :nay:

themasta
October 17th, 2007, 4:23pm
I went to the seventeen one logged in and theres no where i can click to cancel? not seeing it

carenyllie
October 17th, 2007, 4:35pm
I never cancel. I get sent magazines ALL the time. Some I never get a bill for. If I get a bill, I toss it.

swankygirl
October 17th, 2007, 4:47pm
I went to the seventeen one logged in and theres no where i can click to cancel? not seeing it

I'm not seeing it either. Help anyone?

Simplyme
October 17th, 2007, 5:15pm
I'm not seeing it either. Help anyone?

Click on Customer Service under the magazine title, then click Other questions. You'll see a link for cancel subscriptions.

I received an email the other day that I had inadvertantly subscribed to Seventeen, but when I go into check status or cancel subscription, it doesnt find me. Weird, guess I'll just have to wait for the bill to come and mark cancel.

infinitybean
October 17th, 2007, 5:19pm
FYI OP, the links in your first post are broken.

retrobruce
October 17th, 2007, 5:31pm
I got an email saying I had subscribed to Seventeen Magazine too...

They must have either screwed up something on one of the sweeps, or they have one single sweep that has all of the opt-in/opt-out options reversed from all the rest of them.

Anybody know which one it was that got us all?

edit:

Found it!

It was the "Seventeen - Four Years For Free! Sweepstakes" sweep...
The one time entry $250,000 prize sweep.
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/sweeps/165307/

It is an automatic subscribe unless you read all the text and go to a different page.
It still has the normal two opt-in/opt-out buttons, but the subscribe is automatic on this page.

Bet they get a lot of folks that go OOPS and cancel. I suppose the ones that go ahead and pay anyways make up for those that cancel. :dizzy:

GinGin
October 17th, 2007, 5:34pm
I never cancel. I get sent magazines ALL the time. Some I never get a bill for. If I get a bill, I toss it.

I do the same thing. I am sure it will come back to haunt me but I am lazy about this. lol

SillyLilly
October 17th, 2007, 5:37pm
I got an email saying I had subscribed to Seventeen Magazine too...

They must have either screwed up something on one of the sweeps, or they have one single sweep that has all of the opt-in/opt-out options reversed from all the rest of them.

Anybody know which one it was that got us all?

Dunno but they got me too. I'm pretty careful, don't know how it happened.

retrobruce
October 17th, 2007, 5:39pm
Dunno but they got me too. I'm pretty careful, don't know how it happened.

found the one... added the info to my post above. Was a one-time-only entry.

bleah!

As a single 40 something male, I really don't think that magazine fits my demographic profile. Heck, I'd feel creepy even reading it. LOL!

Simplyme
October 17th, 2007, 5:50pm

bleah!

As a single 40 something male, I really don't think that magazine fits my demographic profile. Heck, I'd feel creepy even reading it. LOL!

:rofl3: Funny!!

Yeah, I entered that sweeps too - thanks for finding it!

SillyLilly
October 17th, 2007, 6:09pm

bleah!

Yep, that's it! I thought the editors usually use the no-purchase link, so I didn't read the small print. My bad.

tlak
October 17th, 2007, 6:30pm
I recently had to cancel and the Hearst site said it didn't have my info for over two weeks, then I got an invoice in the mail. Hate using stamps.
So many of these magazine sites are designed towards tricking people.

bnit2winit
October 17th, 2007, 8:07pm
FYI OP, the links in your first post are broken.

Tiny the links work, you just have to click on the "customer service" link for the particular magazine you want.

bnit2winit
October 17th, 2007, 8:29pm
I recently had to cancel and the Hearst site said it didn't have my info for over two weeks, then I got an invoice in the mail. Hate using stamps.
So many of these magazine sites are designed towards tricking people.

I wonder how many people they tricked into subscribing. They are being very sneeky doing this.

elittle2004
October 17th, 2007, 11:04pm
Thanks for the info. I accidentally subscribed to Seventeen Magazine.

psipsina
October 18th, 2007, 6:10am

You have to click on "other options" or something similar and then it will show you the cancel button. Its like they are trying to hide it from you.

psipsina
October 18th, 2007, 6:11am
Click on Customer Service under the magazine title, then click Other questions. You'll see a link for cancel subscriptions.

I received an email the other day that I had inadvertantly subscribed to Seventeen, but when I go into check status or cancel subscription, it doesnt find me. Weird, guess I'll just have to wait for the bill to come and mark cancel.

If you keep on clicking it will let you send an e-mail to customer service and they will confirm the cancellation. I have done this twice with them.

vdeliz
October 18th, 2007, 7:57am
thanks for the post... it is so easy to sign up when you only want the sweepstakes.. thanks :twoclap:

Simplyme
October 18th, 2007, 12:02pm
If you keep on clicking it will let you send an e-mail to customer service and they will confirm the cancellation. I have done this twice with them.

Ah, cool, that worked. Sent them an email, guess I'll see if they respond! Thank you!!

infinitybean
October 18th, 2007, 12:24pm
Tiny the links work, you just have to click on the "customer service" link for the particular magazine you want.

LOL, no, they're broken, even if you can still get to your ultimate destination from that "Page Not Found" page.

Here are the full links:
Good Housekeeping
https://secure.hearstmags.com/gemini/service_files/GHK/GHK_ext_cancel_save.html
Seventeen
https://secure.hearstmags.com/gemini/service_files/SVN/SVN_ext_cancel_save.html
From here:
http://www.online-sweepstakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5345774&postcount=2

When copying them, you have to right click and select "copy link location" to get the full link.
Here's what you posted:

I think people will find themselves experiencing fewer problems finding the proper pages if they just click directly through unbroken links.

Anyhoo, no biggie.

themasta
October 18th, 2007, 5:41pm

bleah!

i dont think its a popular magazine among teenage girls too.. more like 11-12 year old girls. its full of ads

Simplyme
October 19th, 2007, 1:38pm
emailing them worked, got this reply this morning:

Thank you for contacting Seventeen Magazine.

Your contest/sweepstakes entry has been received.

As requested, your order has been cancelled. Please accept any issues
you may receive with our compliments.

Thank you
Seventeen Magazine
Janet

CASHWIN
November 18th, 2007, 10:20am
hello also all u need to do is click on the top of the page where it states customer service and it will lead you to the area to cancel also if you have your acct# which is right on your lable of your magazine
good luck :cheer6:

drmagazine
November 18th, 2007, 3:40pm
I also accidentally subscribed to Seventeen (I HAVE to play closer attention!) but I had little difficulty canceling it once I'd waited a week for them to get me in their records.

ariyana9501
November 18th, 2007, 9:47pm
Very nice of you to post this. Thanks!!!!! :mm:

stan1162
November 21st, 2007, 3:07pm
Thanks to those who take the time to post the direct links!!