PDA

View Full Version : To All the Jerks of OLS and for Everyone Else Who is Sick and Tired of Them

Pages : [1] 2 3

Brent
October 5th, 2007, 10:36pm
Consider yourself forewarned. We are going to clean house. Expect to see many more bannings in the very near future. If you can't behave yourself like a reasonable person and treat all others in a respectful manner, I do not want you here and you are going to get banned from OLS permanently, period. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. And you can whine, cry and play dumb about it all you want.

If you can't follow our simple rules, the same rules you explicitly agreed to follow when you registered as a member of OLS, I want you gone.

Every single person on this web site has the right to come to OLS and enjoy themselves peacefully and quietly without having to worry about being harassed, attacked or picked-on OR seeing the same happen to others.

I don't care what your excuses are, I don't care whether you think you're right or wrong, I don't care what someone else said or did to you, I don't care if you think it's unfair because you think so-and-so did the same thing and nothing happened to them, I don't care if you're a premium member or not, I don't care how long you've been a member, and I don't care what "free speech" rights you think you have on this privately owned and operated web site (News Flash: You don't have any).

If the moderators or myself find that your behavior is disruptive to the generally peaceful and friendly atmosphere of OLS or otherwise violates anyone's right to peacefully and quietly enjoy OLS without being harassed, attacked or picked-on OR seeing the same happen to others, you will be banned and it will be at our sole discretion. Don't expect any warnings, don't expect we're going to let you slide because it's your first time, and you should definitely not think you can BS your way out of it.

It is hurtful, it is cruel, it is ugly, it is embarrassing, it is pathetic, it is inexcusable, it wastes an enormous amount of time and energy, it goes against everything that OLS is supposed to be about, and it willl not be tolerated.

Treat everyone here at OLS with the same amount of respect and courtesy you would want your own mother to have, just like 95%+ of all OLS members do, and you'll be just fine.

It's not anymore complicated than that. It really is that simple. And if you don't like it, please let the door hit you in your ass on the way out.

Brent

Fidget
October 5th, 2007, 10:40pm
:bwhip:

It's sad that this is necessary

LawgirlK
October 5th, 2007, 10:41pm
Great idea.

aycorn
October 5th, 2007, 10:41pm
wow.. :eek:

wth is going on this time?

jesslag
October 5th, 2007, 10:43pm
You three up there took the words right outta my mouth. :eek:

bbking
Touche' I dont go into the forum much Brent but the last month or so I have seen some really hateful and mean posts, so thanks Brent for making this decision. It angers me to see someone who has been so nice to me and others attacked for no reason and it seems to be happening more often...so I pretty much stay out of the forums now. And Brent Thanks for this forum where we can all come together to enter some sweet sweeps. And Brent if ever you or the mods find fault with me please by all means PM me. Sorry it all had to come to this for you.

saphyress
Wow, but thanks after seeing some of the posts...I LOVE THIS SITE!

Tasha668
October 5th, 2007, 10:45pm
:eek: ditto to the above!

wildflower00
October 5th, 2007, 10:47pm
Thank you!!! I am so glad that all of the hatefullness is finally going to come to an end.............

Becky719
October 5th, 2007, 10:47pm
:cheer3: Thank you Brent, I love this place, I joined to enter sweepstakes. Those who do not understand this do not need to be here! :heart: :cheer3:

baroness-1
October 5th, 2007, 10:48pm
Brent, Thank you!

:bow:

bonosun73
October 5th, 2007, 10:49pm
Brent I have not been posting in the forums as much in the last 2 or 3 weeks because of this activity you are talking about. However, at the risk of getting myself in trouble, I will say this: some of the mods tend to play favorites and pick on the ones they don't like. That is all I will say.

sissy76
October 5th, 2007, 10:50pm
Thank You Brent!

ThinLizzy
October 5th, 2007, 10:50pm
Cool. :sumo:

jamicanprincess
October 5th, 2007, 10:51pm
Thank You

Victoria
October 5th, 2007, 10:52pm
:highfive: Great Idea!

yellowsnider
October 5th, 2007, 10:55pm
:yay: Let's get this site the best it can be, and if that means some people need to leave then let's do it!

Jerrysgirl
October 5th, 2007, 10:58pm
Very well said!!!! :highfive:

rocksea_lady
October 5th, 2007, 10:58pm
As usual I have no idea what is going on.... I'm glad! I also know that I will win more then those busy being ugly. It's sad that Brent and the mods have to do this.

viokasegirl
October 5th, 2007, 10:59pm
I feel a disturbance in The Force...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/oscarwilde1/brentisawake.jpg

DaydreamingLady
October 5th, 2007, 11:01pm
and you said it very well, I hope the forum will go back to like it was several years ago, when I first joined. I have no complaints about being treated badly-(every has been nice to me--)
but back a few years ago there didn't seem to be any unkindness toward one another. Everyone was honestly concerned over everyones problems and tried to help each other. That was nice!

You do have a nice site here and I think everyone should make an effort to keep it that way.

Thank you for your concerns and constantly trying to improve on an already good thing.

flbeachbum
October 5th, 2007, 11:01pm
I support everything you said. This is your website, which you started. You set the rules and all of us must follow them. I just hope a "sweepers union" doesn't start!!! Then, you might be in trouble !!!

Thanks, Brent! :byebye:

hudson9610
October 5th, 2007, 11:03pm
WTG brent you tell-em
Some of the things I've read is just awful

smileysal
October 5th, 2007, 11:04pm
I haven really seen a change since I joined and it's not for the better. Sometimes I feel like I am back in high school.

I think it is great that being mean and hurtfull will no longer be tolerated. However, sometimes it is hard to know the tone the author ment. I could read something and think nothing about it and someone else could read the same thing and think it's awful and hurtful. In person you can tell if something is ment to funny, sarcastic, pleasant or hurtful, but in a forum it is much harder to tell.

pandka
October 5th, 2007, 11:04pm
:cheer3: Good.
A couple of times lately, I've seen an uncalled for attack on a mod or editor and nothing was done to the person attacking. I've also seen people being stalked from thread to thread by people who dislike them for what ever reason, real or imagined. No one should be afraid to post for fear of being verbally attacked.

toydiva65
October 5th, 2007, 11:07pm
Thank you, Brent. This is "your house" and I respect that.

Christel
October 5th, 2007, 11:07pm
glad you posted this Brent-I have even gotten a rude a PM from one individual on this site because she disagreed with me. I have also seen many mean spirited posts on this lately so I hope this stops and this can go back to the normal great OLS.

TrinaWants2Win
October 5th, 2007, 11:08pm
:hugs: ty for the announcement Brent

ttm
October 5th, 2007, 11:09pm
YA!! :highfive:

ouachitagurrl
October 5th, 2007, 11:10pm
Once again I'm clueless...Story of my life...LOL! :byebye:

TrishMc107
October 5th, 2007, 11:14pm
I don't know what's been going on but bravo Brent!

I find myself wondering what happened since the old days when everyone was so nice.

core_17
October 5th, 2007, 11:16pm
I didn't know there was currently anything going on with harrassment. :sherlock:

RockysJewel
October 5th, 2007, 11:21pm
YAY .... I like someone who can stand up and say what they like and NOT care what anyone thinks !! :highfive: It is your place and YOUR rules so let's do it @

vdeliz
October 5th, 2007, 11:23pm
Thank You!!!

jazzyblue21
October 5th, 2007, 11:23pm
from the top and bottom of my heart.

witwidow
October 5th, 2007, 11:40pm
clueless here also
good to see you're taking care of things Brent :bwhip:

Gergory
October 5th, 2007, 11:52pm
Meeeeeee

mogrill
Yes Thank you Brent, Couldnt have said it better myself! :cheer6:

pebbles
:cheer3:

shellockjohn
October 5th, 2007, 11:53pm
Awesome!! :rofl3:

Scibba
:clap:

whoohooo

elittle2004
Thanks for letting us all know Brent.

judycc
October 5th, 2007, 11:55pm
You rock :cheer3:

Captain Nemo
October 6th, 2007, 12:40am
brent and kb
i am sorry for the times i got out of line .
i try to go by you're "saterday nite live " idea .
i know at times i have " tight roped " the line .
i was punished by a mod once.
please be assured that the punishment i inflict uppon myself is much greater .
please forgive me ,let me stay .
i have been good ever since .
i need my friends .
please let me stay .

Pansy
October 6th, 2007, 12:46am
Glad to see the board cleaning up :bow: had a thread in the advice recently and many bashed a family they knew nothing about :( how sad!

jill92802
October 6th, 2007, 12:48am
LOL...when I first saw the subject of this post, I thought "Ooo! Gotta see this before it gets yanked!", then I saw it was from Brent....LOL...
Good for you Brent. Your stuff, your rules.
I'm just glad that I'm so aloof I don't even notice whatever BS you're having to deal with.
Thanks for a great site.
-Jill

HamsterLady
October 6th, 2007, 1:01am
Good idea. I hope I don't get banned for something unintentional though...a warning would be nice.

sparkleygem
October 6th, 2007, 1:03am
LOL...when I first saw the subject of this post, I thought "Ooo! Gotta see this before it gets yanked!", then I saw it was from Brent....LOL...
I'm just glad that I'm so aloof I don't even notice whatever BS you're having to deal with.
Thanks for a great site.
-Jill
hahaha I thought the same thing! :rofl3:

Ladyxmess
October 6th, 2007, 1:03am
I hope to see a few bannings.
There are a few people here who like to CAUSE train wrecks-they need to go.
I hope we don't have to wait long....

Other than that, I enjoy this site & spend a good part of my day here. :toast:

goldylox
October 6th, 2007, 1:08am
:twoclap:

Thanks Brent. I'd love to see OLS get back to what it use to be when I first joined. Bravo.

jenninshelby
October 6th, 2007, 1:11am
hahaha I thought the same thing! :rofl3:

Me too.. :rofl3:

Stanza_Rae
October 6th, 2007, 1:27am
Thanks for a great site.
-Jill

Oh yeah.... I saw the title and went... "oh no... gotta see this".
But was very glad it was from Brent.

lucky1955
October 6th, 2007, 1:28am
So sad that this has had to happen. I dont post very much, something like 35 posts in 4 years. I have no idea what happened but it sounds like it has been brewing for a while. Like always, we leave it to Brent to do whats best!!! :highfive:

candes
October 6th, 2007, 1:28am
Good idea. I hope I don't get banned for something unintentional though...a warning would be nice.

I thought about this too. But then a lightbulb went off. You see folks can disagree in discussions. Nothing wrong in that. We all have our own opinions.

But recently I have noticed outright personal attacks. And often in groups. Especially the "kick ya when you are down" kind of attacks. Very cruel and immature! So, unless you attack others in your posts, you probably have nothing to worry about.

I say go for it Brent! :cheer4:

birdpix
October 6th, 2007, 3:24am
it's a sad state when basic polite manners and common sense have to be regulated, but I've also seen some pretty darn mean spirited things lately posted and will be glad to have a more peaceful forum home...

gemini lion
October 6th, 2007, 3:29am
:bwhip:

It's sad that this is necessary

Agreed. It's also sad that some members actually feel too intimidated to post in the forums for fear of getting slammed. This shoudn't be.

Wisegalhere
October 6th, 2007, 3:52am
Brent,

I'm relatively new to this site but I have to admit that I've stayed away from the forums after some of the things that I saw happening to others. This is a terrific site and it's a shame that a few people managed to taint the forums and scare so many of us off. You are absolutely doing the right thing. I look forward to enjoying the forums in the future. Maybe now I'll be able to post enough to get Winzy points (lol).

Thanks!

rewcatherine
October 6th, 2007, 4:05am
It's too bad that a few rotten apples .... spoil the bunch. I hope I have never insulted anyone or made them feel as though I was picking on them. I don't see the point of being mean to others it will be paid back in the way of cosmic justice :type:

roxannejharris
October 6th, 2007, 4:19am
thanks Brent, I have seen some pretty hateful things. I think everyone should follow the rule if you cant say anything nice please dont say anything at all. There is a difference between having an opinion and trying to help someone, rather than belittleing them and making them feel worse. I hope things get cleared up! :highfive:

tiglesia
October 6th, 2007, 4:22am
You just answered an internal debate without even knowing it! :highfive:

After being personally attacked for sharing a win with the community I began to cut back on my posting and visiting the forums. After seeing someone who I shall not name get attacked for no good reason and watching that person pull back, I was honestly debating with myself whether or not to re-up when my premium membership was going to expire. This is NOT the same environment it was when I joined, and I felt so very dis-heartened because I thought it was going completely un-noticed until I read this.

We don't all have to agree, but we do all have to respect each other, and courtesy seemed to have gone by the wayside. I truly hope this helps the site get back to what it was. I remember I couldn't wait to get on when I first joined, I haven't felt that way in a good long while.

Thank you so much for taking formal steps to make OLS a better place to be! :cheer3:

theladyluck
October 6th, 2007, 4:24am
Thank you, Brent and mods!

I doubt that anyone has noticed, but I've only posted in the forums once or twice in the past three months. It's not because I had nothing to say -- it's because I've been almost completely staying away. Every now and then I'd pop back in and look around, but too often when I started reading a thread it got nasty and belligerent, so I just decided not to read any of them any more. I wouldn't have even seen this thread if it weren't for the fact that I saw the title on the front page and I just had to see what it was about.

It's a shame it's needed, but hopefully this shaking up will help to make this the place it used to be -- lots of fun and very helpful.

mb2
October 6th, 2007, 4:24am
Hey Brent:) I love love love OLS and I'm behind you all the way. Thanks for this wonderful place I can come to any hour of any day. You are right.....the vast majority of OLSers are very kind, very helpful, and ever so supportive. I just pretend the others don't exist! Thank you, thank you, thank you, to Brent and to all the mods who keep our site running so smoothly. May God bless everyone today and I hope everyone has a super win today!!! :gvibes: :gvibes: :gvibes:

tiffney_02019
October 6th, 2007, 4:31am
Now this is the best place ever. Thanks.

TeaAddict
October 6th, 2007, 4:54am

I was thinking the same thing too. Thanks Brent. I come here to have fun, not add more stress to my life.

janieeluten
October 6th, 2007, 4:57am
Thanks, I have got two replys in 3 years but I just thought someone got up on the wrong side of the bed. I love OLS and I am very happy with the site.

charliebuck
October 6th, 2007, 5:19am
Thank you Brent for this great site. Well put Brent.

Spiderella
October 6th, 2007, 5:25am
There are some that can be downright mean. I do my best to ignore them though, because it goes to show what kind of mentality level they are on. :clever:

teechbiz
October 6th, 2007, 5:42am
I love ols. I'm one of those people who gets the DTs when the site goes down. I first started doing the forums a few years ago. I think it was a different place then. You, of all people, know what it is like to have people gang up on you here.

I get PAID to deal with teenagers who have a teenage mindset. I can forgive them because they ARE teenagers. Many teens lack the emotional maturity to engage in healthy debate and keep it from disolving into an abyss of name calling, back-biting, and brow beating. I know how to deal with that behavior at school and I try to make it into a life lesson about how to treat others.

Sadly, I assume, that I'm dealing with mature adults here and that is not always the case. Sometimes it reminds me of a school yard bully session in which the victim is surrounded by his tormentors and beaten down. Just as bad some of the hijinx are carried out with anonymous pms, ims, or emails. I've had that happen to me and trust me, it was extremely hurtful. You might say that makes me a big baby but none of us, none of us, me included, knows who we are truly dealing with when we are online. The person you might be speaking to might have mental issues, self-esteem issues, etc. and resorting to name calling doesn't make you the better person. As a matter of fact, when I was on a high school debate team years ago, i was told that you knew you lost the argument when you resort to name calling or attacking the individual and not the idea.

I AVOID going to the political threads. I see blanket attacks on people based on the political affiliations and/or spiritual beliefs. People are multi-faceted and therefore it's not a one size fits all attack that some love to give out. I have had several dear friends who didn't agree with my stance on a particular issue. I never ever felt that they were anything less than a wonderful person. I hear out their perspective, they hear out mine and we simply agreed to disagree. Trust me these are "hot button" issues that cause the discource here to plumet to lows generally reserved for junior high school kids.

Brent i am glad you have decided to make this move. I am sorry that you have been forced to make this move. I agree that some people are confused on their rights to free speach. This is a privately owned forum. It would be as if I went to your house and decided to cut you down. You are under no obligation to tolerate it and could tell me not to darken your doorway again. Freedom of speach is not unlimited. If it were then there would be no libel or slander laws because ALL speach regardless of what is being said would be acceptable. The old adage that you can't yell FIRE in a crowded theater is absolutely correct. Again if ALL speach were free I could yell fire anywhere my little heart desired. I could call the fire department every hour just to watch the trucks pull up and they couldn't do anything about it because I have free speach. Freedom of speach is a misunderstood concept.

Even if you could say whatever you wanted about whoever you wanted, why in the world would you want to expend that kind of energy to attack another person? Why in the world do you need to belittle others? Is your self-esteem lacking that much? Thanks again to you Brent. I love so many of you and I wish everyone here well. I hope my long speach didn't get me banned but then again I've been wanting to say this for awhile. I will take my chances.

Scary Snarky toaD
October 6th, 2007, 5:42am
I haven really seen a change since I joined and it's not for the better. Sometimes I feel like I am back in high school.

I think it is great that being mean and hurtfull will no longer be tolerated. However, sometimes it is hard to know the tone the author ment. I could read something and think nothing about it and someone else could read the same thing and think it's awful and hurtful. In person you can tell if something is ment to funny, sarcastic, pleasant or hurtful, but in a forum it is much harder to tell.

I think it comes down to the SECOND someone starts to DISRESPECT any other member. There's nothing people need to say to anyone else that they can't phrase in a manner that retains respect. If they THINK they can't say something without respect, better to say nothing at all.

We don't have to like anyone. But to get anywhere in this world we GOTTA respect folks.

rettak
October 6th, 2007, 5:45am
you go 100% on track.

Tonysopranogirl
October 6th, 2007, 5:59am
Once again I'm clueless...Story of my life...LOL! :byebye:

lol me too!

AsTheNight
October 6th, 2007, 6:01am
Thanks to Brent and the mods for working to make OLS a place that's comfortable for everyone.

I've noticed over the past few months that people seem to be more cranky than usual in forums (not just here). Perhaps OLS will lead the way in making the web a more friendly place to be.

beckpal
October 6th, 2007, 6:06am
I'm happy to see that the mean-spirited posts will no longer be tolerated. I got so tired of seeing them that I stopped coming to the forums a few months ago. I've missed being here.

LilDevil
October 6th, 2007, 6:11am
Wow , Wow , Wow , and WOW !!

What the Hell happened ??? I have NEVER seen a post like that from Brent before . I'm stunned.

cherylbas
October 6th, 2007, 6:12am
:heart: Amen. Thank you :heart:

SeaofSapphires
October 6th, 2007, 7:08am
Brent I have not been posting in the forums as much in the last 2 or 3 weeks because of this activity you are talking about. However, at the risk of getting myself in trouble, I will say this: some of the mods tend to play favorites and pick on the ones they don't like. That is all I will say.

I disagree, I think the mods are very fair. I have never seen them
play favorites. They work their rears off. They help because they
love this site, they have no ulterior motive. Think of it this way,
while you're entering sweeps and winning things they are working
on this site for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Brent! It's much appreciated for those of us you dearly love OLS
and have made some awesome friends here! Most just want to come
here for some light hearted chat and to make some new friends
while sweeping.

Thank you for "cleaning house", I think it will make a huge difference!!
It is your website that you created, you have every right to make rules
as you see fit.

I recently posted about a different "chat" site that I frequented recently
and there were no rules per say. They said there were some rules
but you couldn't see them and they didn't enforce them. It ruined the
site, it was chaos. A few took over and ruined it for the rest. Thank
you for attempting to keep your site fun for all!!!

prklug
October 6th, 2007, 7:15am
Way to go Brent!
I appreciate everything that you and the mods have to go through just to keep the site running. Hateful people poison everything they touch. If I disagree with someone, I keep it to myself, or find a way to state my op in a mature fashion. Surely all of us can manage a little common courtesy in such a public arena.

I will follow your announcement with interest.

OLS rocks!
:cheer6:

Globug_47
October 6th, 2007, 7:19am
When people post junk like this that needs to be deleted, please don't QUOTE them.. it just makes it that much harder for the mods to delete everything.

Thanks!!

Didn't think about that .... thanks. I took care of it myself, alrighty?

retrobruce
October 6th, 2007, 7:30am
Didn't think about that .... thanks. I took care of it myself, alrighty?

Thanks!

It simply makes it a lot less work when they DO delete the crud. Saves them from having to check every post afterwards.

No new posts for a while from our "friend".. so he/she appears to be done. The Post Count still shows 12, so they haven't been deleted yet.
I'm sure anyone with power to do anything has been notified several hundred times by now.

:eek:

SeaofSapphires
October 6th, 2007, 7:33am
Thanks!

It simply makes it a lot less work when they DO delete the crud. Saves them from having to check every post afterwards.

No new posts for a while from our "friend".. so he/she appears to be done. The Post Count still shows 12, so they haven't been deleted yet.
I'm sure anyone with power to do anything has been notified several hundred times by now.

It's down to 10 now so maybe some have been deleted.

I didn't repeat what she said, I said "insert crap here" ! lol

binski
October 6th, 2007, 7:34am
When people post junk like this that needs to be deleted, please don't QUOTE them.. it just makes it that much harder for the mods to delete everything.

Thanks!!

Thank you thank you thank you.

Globug_47
October 6th, 2007, 7:36am

You're welcome...... and thanks for the deleting of those offensive posts. :cheer3:

SeaofSapphires
October 6th, 2007, 7:37am

I made sure not to do that either. You're going to have a hard

enough time just keeping up with her posts.

xscapes
October 6th, 2007, 7:38am
I don't know who was ripping into who, but it's a sad satement of our society & behaviors today when someone needs to lay down the law like this, to ADULTS, no less.

With all the things going on in our world today we have much bigger things to worry about than who said what about whatever. Don't we?

More power to the mods to clean it all up & ban those that disrupt a fun site.

retrobruce
October 6th, 2007, 7:48am

No, Thank YOU!!!

Can we open our eyes now?

rbuske
October 6th, 2007, 7:55am
Thank you Brent. Maybe I'll start responding to more than the "I won ..." posts now. Got upset reading all the bashing and stopped reading anything but win announcements months and months ago.

FreakDuJour
October 6th, 2007, 8:14am
on this site for you.

while sweeping.

as you see fit.

You would have to know the whole story....but she's onto something...definitely.

Beth
October 6th, 2007, 8:20am
:bounce: Looking forward to a lot more sweet words and many kindnesses! :heart:

MistySunrise
October 6th, 2007, 8:32am
All I have to say is YOU GO BOY!!! hehehe :highfive:

Scary Snarky toaD
October 6th, 2007, 8:40am
I'm happy to see that the mean-spirited posts will no longer be tolerated. I got so tired of seeing them that I stopped coming to the forums a few months ago. I've missed being here.

While some might think this is just something Brent is starting NOW, please realize mean behavior has ALWAYS been subject to being dealt with stringently on OLS. Mean-ness has never been truly "tolerated" here, and Brent and mods do everything they can to AVOID constantly banning folks and pulling threads. But now and then a big crack down gets necessary. Some people's noses get burnt but this forums would be no fun to continue to participate in if bullies got away with wrecking havoc.

ironbutterfly
October 6th, 2007, 8:41am
Oh good, there are a couple poster I miss, maybe they'll come back HEAR THAT MICHELEISME :cheer3:

What I think needs to stop, and I am basically computer illiterate so I don't know how to stop it, is these folks that come back here with different names all the time. It actually scares me a bit to know people are that into coming here to make people upset. OLS comes across with such a small community vibe and I hope it stays that way:type:

cyt
October 6th, 2007, 8:44am
:cheer3: AMEN to all of the above! :cheer3:

Tricia316
October 6th, 2007, 8:52am
Thanks Brent for cleaning up OLS and laying down the law. I love this site and think you have given us a great service. But I have noticed lately the cruel things being said in the forums and it makes me sad.

Tricia

tlak
October 6th, 2007, 8:58am
I'll agree with that, I complained about mods before and never got no answer. Just won't post to forums anymore. Is a great site anyway, can't argue with that.

pumpkinpie516
October 6th, 2007, 8:58am
Thanks Brent!!! :bow:

oxnail
October 6th, 2007, 9:01am
I missed something!!! Most of the time I read the forums for the winning post only, unless something catches my eye, then I will read some. I pay for the sweepstakes entries only anyway.

What will the new rules be?
Just in case this will be my last post.

goodxxxgirl
October 6th, 2007, 9:06am
ya this site has gotten worse over time
people have gotten so nasty alot wont even post because they are afraid of being verbally attacked. how sad

and the constant smart ass snottyness is getting really old

and the ganging up on others is getting worse

kcchiefs
October 6th, 2007, 9:49am
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!:cheer6: There is a reason why I don't have very many posts. Now that can change. Thanks Brent for providing us with this great site. :smile9:

melonhed
October 6th, 2007, 10:00am
ya this site has gotten worse over time
people have gotten so nasty alot wont even post because they are afraid of being verbally attacked. how sad

and the constant smart ass snottyness is getting really old

and the ganging up on others is getting worse

One can only hope that being a smart-ass snot is grounds for banning under the "crack down". I can handle disagreement and difference of opinion as most of the mature adults seem to be able to do. Some here cannot make the distinction between disagreement and bash and have to throw their attitide in on top of it, like that helps any.:beye:

The flagrant calling out of the mods and complaining about them would be on my list of offenders too, if I had a say. I can see how you would develop a bias against someone who is an intentional obnoxious twit, especially if they are complaining about you in a thinly veiled manner, with some regularity. I would not be able to maintain any sort of fair attitude in that situation either.

As a last completely unsolicited opinion, give the serial thread reporters a smack, too. I am sure some waste far too much of the mods time by reporting stuff that is not out of line but rather something they personally don't like.

ouachitagurrl
October 6th, 2007, 10:08am
One can only hope that being a smart-ass snot is grounds for banning under the "crack down". I can handle disagreement and difference of opinion as most of the mature adults seem to be able to do. Some here cannot make the distinction between disagerement and bash and have to throw their attitide in on top of it, like that helps any.:beye:

The flagrant calling out of the mods and complaining about them would be on my list of offenders too, if I had a say. I can see how you would develop a bias against someone who is an intentional obnoxious twit, especially if they are complaining about you in a thinly veiled manner, with some regularity. I would not be able to maintain any sort of fair attitude in that situation either.

As a last completely unsolicited opinion, give the serial thread reporters a smack, too. I am sure some waste far too much of the mods time by reporting stuff that is not out of line but rather something they personally don't like.

Amen! I agree with you there melonhead.

Traumajunky
October 6th, 2007, 10:10am
t would be nice to have a less hostile board. :)

duknuk
October 6th, 2007, 10:10am
Brent for President- 2008

bunnytoes
October 6th, 2007, 10:33am
on this site for you.

while sweeping.

as you see fit.

I personally think she hit it dead on. Just not long ago there was a mod that joined in the personal attack of a member here in a thread that was personally directed towards that member. Some mods are great; others, I wouldn't trust to tell me it was light outside. Sorry, I have seen what goes on under the covers, and it ain't pretty.

barbs
October 6th, 2007, 10:40am
One can only hope that being a smart-ass snot is grounds for banning under the "crack down". I can handle disagreement and difference of opinion as most of the mature adults seem to be able to do. Some here cannot make the distinction between disagreement and bash and have to throw their attitide in on top of it, like that helps any.:beye:

This isn't directed at you, melonhead - just general observations:

I sometimes like "smart-ass snotiness", myself! And, it's always a matter of opinion whether it IS such, isn't it? Same as "bashing" - the meaning of which is often (usually!) misunderstood. Some people can't stand being disagreed with. Some people post here ONLY for support of their viewpoint/situation and, when another person offers an opinion the OP isn't looking for, they don't like it & think it's "bashing" or being mean.

As far as "ganging up" is concerned - well that's what it may look like because there may be a LOT of people disagreeing with what a poster said - it doesn't mean that a number of people have made secret arrangements to go after the poster.

I have no issues with the mods, either. I think they're underappreciated.

melonhed
October 6th, 2007, 10:44am
I personally think she hit it dead on. Just not long ago there was a mod that joined in the personal attack of a member here in a thread that was personally directed towards that member. Some mods are great; others, I wouldn't trust to tell me it was light outside. Sorry, I have seen what goes on under the covers, and it ain't pretty.
I sincerely hope you reported this personal attack to the mods you do trust.

barbs
October 6th, 2007, 10:47am

And - deliberate personal comments in other forums about OLS members DO get reported back to the person being attacked. People aren't as anonymous as they may think.

Take a hint.

annathome
October 6th, 2007, 10:49am
Consider yourself forewarned. We are going to clean house. Expect to see many more bannings in the very near future. If you can't behave yourself like a reasonable person and treat all others in a respectful manner, I do not want you here and you are going to get banned from OLS permanently, period. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. And you can whine, cry and play dumb about it all you want.

If you can't follow our simple rules, the same rules you explicitly agreed to follow when you registered as a member of OLS, I want you gone.

Every single person on this web site has the right to come to OLS and enjoy themselves peacefully and quietly without having to worry about being harassed, attacked or picked-on OR seeing the same happen to others.

I don't care what your excuses are, I don't care whether you think you're right or wrong, I don't care what someone else said or did to you, I don't care if you think it's unfair because you think so-and-so did the same thing and nothing happened to them, I don't care if you're a premium member or not, I don't care how long you've been a member, and I don't care what "free speech" rights you think you have on this privately owned and operated web site (News Flash: You don't have any).

If the moderators or myself find that your behavior is disruptive to the generally peaceful and friendly atmosphere of OLS or otherwise violates anyone's right to peacefully and quietly enjoy OLS without being harassed, attacked or picked-on OR seeing the same happen to others, you will be banned and it will be at our sole discretion. Don't expect any warnings, don't expect we're going to let you slide because it's your first time, and you should definitely not think you can BS your way out of it.

It is hurtful, it is cruel, it is ugly, it is embarrassing, it is pathetic, it is inexcusable, it wastes an enormous amount of time and energy, it goes against everything that OLS is supposed to be about, and it willl not be tolerated.

Treat everyone here at OLS with the same amount of respect and courtesy you would want your own mother to have, just like 95%+ of all OLS members do, and you'll be just fine.

It's not anymore complicated than that. It really is that simple. And if you don't like it, please let the door hit you in your ass on the way out.

Brent

Thank you!!!!! :twoclap: :drum: :highfive:

noey718
October 6th, 2007, 10:50am
I remember that thread and I remember that the person was the one that asked for the thread to be opened and then never responded to the questions people were asking that person.

melonhed
October 6th, 2007, 10:53am
I remember that thread and I remember that the person was the one that asked for the thread to be opened and then never responded to the questions people were asking that person.I don't recall the thread mentioned, and this isn't directed at you Noey, just building off of your post.
I truly hope if their was a legitimate personal attack by a mod (and not just a matter of opinion) it was reported. Crying about it after the fact does no good. Like that old saying goes "if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem".

NoWhammies
October 6th, 2007, 10:53am
TY, I rarely go into the forums because of these things and hardly post so thank you very much! Heidi

noey718
October 6th, 2007, 10:54am
I don't recall the thread mentioned, and this isn't directed at you Noey, just building off of your post.
I truly hope if their was a legitimate personal attack by a mod (and not just a matter of opinion) it was reported. Crying about it after the fact does no good. Like that old saying goes "if you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem".
well, you are right

bunnytoes
October 6th, 2007, 10:56am
And - deliberate personal comments in other forums about OLS members DO get reported back to the person being attacked. People aren't as anonymous as they may think.

Take a hint.

You wanna clarify yourself since I have no clue what you mean. Appreciate it.

bunnytoes
October 6th, 2007, 10:57am
I remember that thread and I remember that the person was the one that asked for the thread to be opened and then never responded to the questions people were asking that person.

No, she asked for that discussionto be taken to another thread, not be called out and attacked. Big difference.

brushes
October 6th, 2007, 10:57am

I sometimes like "smart-ass snotiness", myself! And, it's always a matter of opinion whether it IS such, isn't it? Same as "bashing" - the meaning of which is often (usually!) misunderstood. Some people can't stand being disagreed with. Some people post here ONLY for support of their viewpoint/situation and, when another person offers an opinion the OP isn't looking for, they don't like it & think it's "bashing" or being mean.

As far as "ganging up" is concerned - well that's what it may look like because there may be a LOT of people disagreeing with what a poster said - it doesn't mean that a number of people have made secret arrangements to go after the poster.

You hit it dead on. when people ask for opinions on something then there will be some that agree and some that don't. I personally will now refrain from giving mine. I can't possibly agree with everyone who posts. If I have offended in the past it wasn't to be disaggreable it was to give my honest take on a subject. I understand that Brent is trying to make OLS enjoyable for all, but human nature as it is there will always be those that offend easily and those that like to start up a bit of trouble.
to me OLS is the best sweep site ever and I want to stay here. I will not post in threads that ask for opinions anymore and I refuse to be drawn into threads that are started just to get peoples dander up.

jay13365
October 6th, 2007, 10:58am
Throw all the bums out. (I just hope I'm not one of them.) Love it here.

bunnytoes
October 6th, 2007, 10:58am

It was deleted not soon after, so I assume another mod did do her job.

chvydupont24
October 6th, 2007, 10:59am
Thanks, Brent, keep up the good work. This is the best sweepstakes site out there, and we want to keep it that way.

barbs
October 6th, 2007, 10:59am
You wanna clarify yourself since I have no clue what you mean. Appreciate it.

No - I don't want to clarify for you.

It's a case of people who are innocent not knowing what I mean, & the people who are not innocent knowing what I mean.

noey718
October 6th, 2007, 11:01am
No, she asked for that discussionto be taken to another thread, not be called out and attacked. Big difference.
nd then she never responded, hmm

bunnytoes
October 6th, 2007, 11:02am
No - I don't want to clarify for you.

It's a case of people who are innocent not knowing what I mean, & the people who are not innocent knowing what I mean.

Then maybe next time you shouldn't post if you can't be bothered to post what you're talking about.

bunnytoes
October 6th, 2007, 11:04am
nd then she never responded, hmm

She never said she was. She said if they wanted to talk about that issue to please go to another thread. But all that really doesn't matter. My issue was that a mod was joining in on the attacks. But of course this is all "JMHO".

barbs
October 6th, 2007, 11:04am
Then maybe next time you shouldn't post if you can't be bothered to post what you're talking about.

I'll post what I want to post.

:chill:

ignoramoose
October 6th, 2007, 11:05am

I know! And in this thread, of all places. :eek:

melonhed
October 6th, 2007, 11:05am
I know! And in this thread, of all places. :eek:
Word, Sistah :highfive:

bunnytoes
October 6th, 2007, 11:06am
I'll post what I want to post.

:chill:

LOL...we all know that Barb.

Faulkner99
October 6th, 2007, 11:07am
I'm just glad some of you are running your mouths here. It will make Brent's stated intent all that much easier.

And to you, I say, THANKS! :cheer3:

jesslag
October 6th, 2007, 11:09am
I'm just glad some of you are running your mouths here. It will make Brent's stated intent all that much easier.

And to you, I say, THANKS! :cheer3:
I know, I figured it would take at least a month before people started getting all crazy and stuff.

Deeotto
October 6th, 2007, 11:11am
As it should be. Brent you have our support.

occ1956
October 6th, 2007, 11:18am
Thank you Brent! I have always stayed away from any forums online because there always seems to be someone who ruins it for others. I don't mind a disagreement between others as long as we show respect for the right for everyone to have their opinions. What I don't like is putting others down and being downright superior in stating their opinions. I have seen such caring and support on this forums.

Jean in Southern Illinois

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!

bigskwinner
October 6th, 2007, 11:22am
i sometimes thing the forum should be only about sweeping, like trivia answers, or "does anyone have a contact for this and that contest" or did you get your prize yet, what should i do?

personal advice ? political views, polls, what are you doing,eating.farting etc all seem sorta weird in relationship to sweeping, as i cant see the validity of them at all

barbs
October 6th, 2007, 11:23am
LOL...we all know that Barb.

Drop it, honey - I was responding to your post but I was NOT directing my remark to you as tho' you were one of the people in those other forums.

I regret if you thought so. I suppose you might have thought it was.

psychonurse
October 6th, 2007, 11:29am
:cheer3: Thank you Brent!

ignoramoose
October 6th, 2007, 11:29am
Barbs, you are a class act. Barbs 4 Prez! :heart:

chestnutfall
October 6th, 2007, 11:33am
Hi, Brent:

Thank you for your time and hardwork in creating a community where people can
come together with a common interest of sweeping.

This is how I feel about the OLS community.
I enjoy the opportunity of being able to see and share in the joy of those who share their lives, their joys, their sorrows, their accomplishments and their fantasic life changing wins.
For the most part I have found folks to be so wonderfully supportive.
I've made a few great friends.

There have been times when I've pulled back from posting as there have been 4 or 5
times over the years that I've had my feelings hurt. I have also noticed when others have
pulled back from posting as they have been targeted in the past by hurtfull, unnecessary verbal rudeness.

I will also say that some fellow ols'er have come to my aid out of kindness and fairness to stand up for me and told others to give me a break. I really appreciate those who have spoken up when someone else has been rude to me or to others.

There are some threads that I just won't even read because I don't want to spend my
time seeing the hurtfulness to others. Sometimes, due to time constriants or topic of discussion I make a choice not to read a thread.

You created this wonderful site and set down the rules and if people abuse their fellowman
with insults, harrassment, etc then they shouldn't be here.

Thank you for sticking up for common courtesy and decentcy(spelling error)
Thank you for reminding me about integrity.

Thank you mods for your quick responses when I have questions and your hard work in keeping spamers and porn links off of OLS.

CJ

Globug_47
October 6th, 2007, 11:33am
My vote?

I vote that we all line up against the right side of the wall, with our little paper cups in hand and wait patiently for our thorazine. :rofl3:

bunnytoes
October 6th, 2007, 11:35am
Drop it, honey - I was responding to your post but I was NOT directing my remark to you as tho' you were one of the people in those other forums.

I regret if you thought so. I suppose you might have thought it was.

PM'ing you if that's ok.

MistySunrise
October 6th, 2007, 11:43am
My vote?

I vote that we all line up against the right side of the wall, with our little paper cups in hand and wait patiently for our thorazine. :rofl3:

hehehe Who ever doesnt want theirs, I will take it! :rofl3:

Beth
October 6th, 2007, 11:44am
My vote?

Can I have two?
:highfive:

Globug_47
October 6th, 2007, 11:49am
hehehe Who ever doesnt want theirs, I will take it! :rofl3:

The line starts behind me! :rofl3:

Seriously though, glad when everything calms down again. Seems to go in cycles here. I, for one, am no saint and wouldn't even begin to put myself out there as one. I get snarky, snippy and rude with the best of them. I may not always mean to be that way but it happens. The only thing that I can do personally, is to be more aware of what I am posting and learn to walk away from this damn computer when I can't. If I can't.........may want to up that dosage of thorazine towards the end of the month..... just in case.

timinskas
October 6th, 2007, 11:53am
I understand the whole purpose of Brent's message but how about we all learn to IGNORE the people who write mean things and start trouble. Why does this site have to be policed? I mean Brent can do what he wants but it is such a waste of time. We are all adults...who the hell cares what anyone else says about you...learn to ignore, have fun, and DON'T respond to the negativity. Last night it was starting to get ugly in this thread and I jokingly put the soup guys in a post, it was deleted, I guess because the mods thought it was to provoke, but what it really was meant was to show that this has become a soap opera! RIDICULOUS! And then a bunch of us tried to have fun, which is what this site is supposed to be, and all the fun was deleted too, disappointing because we could have turned this into just another lesson to let things go and have fun. :frown2:

margarita_mama
October 6th, 2007, 12:00pm
ya know...this may be getting too far off-topic, (and I'm even afraid that somebody might construe this as defying authority ) but...
I personally have not had a problem with any of the mods here. No clashes, etc. Personally, I try to know that when a mod may tell me that I am out of line, I will just let it go. Never have had that happen yet (that may change with this post, though :laugh: ), and hopefully it will never happen. It's not so much that I think it's not worth it, but that those are the OLS rules. I understand and appreciate those rules.
Through research in the past when things have taken a nose-dive here, I have seen some, what I would call, questionable, actions, bloggings, postings about OLS members (off the OLS public site) and IMO, it would serve OLS for the good if some "internal housekeeping" were done.
I have no idea what it entails to be a mod here...not too sure I want to know. I respect them for what they do, but, I would imagine that it is very stressful more times than it is not. Perhaps a system could be implemented to "rotate" the mods every 3 months or so, to give them a much needed "break". Then, perhaps they could be more "refreshed" and less stressed out when it is their next rotation?
IMO, you can't expect good changes to come solely from the "outside", if "good changes" are not implemented from the "inside".

upderon
October 6th, 2007, 12:04pm
Support you all the way!

7872nc
October 6th, 2007, 12:12pm
i sometimes thing the forum should be only about sweeping, like trivia answers, or "does anyone have a contact for this and that contest" or did you get your prize yet, what should i do?

personal advice ? political views, polls, what are you doing,eating.farting etc all seem sorta weird in relationship to sweeping, as i cant see the validity of them at all

Amen!!! I personally think that if a chat room is what you want then go for it...but all this mudslinging and totally stupid "question" posts, ie Do You Snore? only mean more pages for the site, more download time, more cost to administer and time wasted.
There are planty of websites for the whiners and knowitalls to vent on and express their high and mighty opinions...let's get back to this being a sweepstakes site...which is what most of us pay our money for!

Mom2Ways
October 6th, 2007, 12:15pm
I have no idea what's going on, but I understand about needing to clean house.

braveheart
October 6th, 2007, 12:16pm
I read peoples post for the entertainment and educational purposes. I don't get insulted or upset if others have different opinions. For me it is a way to understand what or how others look at the world differently than me. Because in real life I would not have any contacts with such a diverse population of people.

I even like to read the outlandish, strange things people say, and occasionally tell them what I think. We can do this in a debate type manner without being rude of mean. I think. Life would be boring if we all agreed. :cheer6:

Marle
October 6th, 2007, 12:18pm

Speaking as someone who doesn't have "mainstream" views, that really bothers me a bit...

iamsasyk
October 6th, 2007, 12:23pm
I like the way you think Brent :superman: I STRONGLY DISLIKE mean people.

retrobruce
October 6th, 2007, 12:23pm
Speaking as someone who doesn't have "mainstream" views, that really bothers me a bit...

Freedom of speach doesn't exist unless you own the website.

I'm not complaining about it by any stretch. Brent owns the site, he sets the rules.

Rather simple, actually. When you signed up for this website, either as a free member or as a paid premium member, you still agreed to a set of rules.

I'd rather have some rules to follow than just have everyone run wild.

edit: additional info

There are PLENTY of webhosts that will sell you webpages where you can say whatever you want. Some are very cheap, depending on how much bandwidth your visitors use.

Brent set this site up for ONLINE SWEEPSTAKES, not to make a political or social platform for whatever beliefs the members here have.

I would still pay my premium fee even if the forums went away. Thats how much I value the services presented by this website.

Remember, if he wanted to (or ever wants to) he could change the rules to only allow conversations and comments about sweeps. That would be his choice and we would have the choice of staying or leaving.

abonuses
October 6th, 2007, 12:29pm
I have been afraid to post some wins recently because one time, I won a maid for the day for my 74 year old mother and posted and someone tried to have her DQ'd. But it didn't work! She got her maid.

Some people must not have much to do in life when they just want to be rude and mean. I don't know why in the world some people want to say and do such awful things to other sweepers.

angela

hammonds
October 6th, 2007, 12:35pm
I come here to enter sweepstakes. Occassionally I will comment on a post or post something myself and I really enjoyed holding members only contests. However, I come here to enter sweeps because that's what this website is primarily about and I hope it's here for a very long time because I truly have enjoyed it over all these years that Brent and co. have been working it to keep it going. I think it's a great place. OLS rocks! :cheer6:

FLSportsMom
October 6th, 2007, 12:35pm
I have been afraid to post some wins recently because one time, I won a maid for the day for my 74 year old mother and posted and someone tried to have her DQ'd.
OLS has a select few super-nasty members who get great pleasure out of doing this very thing, and think they are cool for doing it...I think it gives them a powerful feeling (not to mention one of pride) to know they can destroy goodness for someone else. Often times through further reading, you find out more about them and their environment, and it explains a lot. It is beyond disturbing. I think they should be included.

gigi
October 6th, 2007, 12:38pm
Thanks Brent, Sorry You Have To Go Through All That (and Some Of Us Too!)

I Try To Post As Little As Possible In Order Not To Become A Victim, But I Hope That We Can All Come To This Site And Get Whatever We Are Looking For And Learn To Be Kind To Each Other.

Many Wins To All!

utahmama
October 6th, 2007, 12:43pm
Amen! Thanks, Brent :bow:

AnahsSkcor
October 6th, 2007, 12:49pm
I agree!

BTW ingnramoose, I love your new avatar made me happy looking at it :highfive:

pambanter
October 6th, 2007, 12:51pm
Every few months people say that this place is going to hell in a handbasket, and as far as I can see, it has always been exactly the same.

Now, as to mean-ness. If I state my opinion (in the blunt way that I do), is that mean-ness?

You know, as opinionated as I am, I have NEVER received nor sent an argumentative PM. No one has ever called me out, openly or privately. I have never been followed around and ganged up on, that I noticed, anyway.

I had a "gang" for awhile but the uniform rode up and the high heels hurt my ankles.

fullhart
October 6th, 2007, 12:56pm
If I may make a suggestion:

Could Brent or the mods give examples of both tolerated debate, and not-tolerated (banned) debate. Both the OP, and the person responding, sometimes are confused about what is just normal difference of opinion, or an attack.

A simple example?

Correct reply(?):
"I disagree, you are wrong"

Banned reply(?):
"You're an idiot"

Or perhaps members on here can give their own examples.

mamma7
October 6th, 2007, 12:57pm
:twoclap: Thank you for cleaning house. :cheer6:

sharkaye
Brent I am beyond thrilled to see this post. It's unfortunate that with everything else you have to do, you also have to babysit. You ROCK!

tricia
Amen!!! I personally think that if a chat room is what you want then go for it...but all this mudslinging and totally stupid "question" posts, ie Do You Snore? only mean more pages for the site, more download time, more cost to administer and time wasted.
There are planty of websites for the whiners and knowitalls to vent on and express their high and mighty opinions...let's get back to this being a sweepstakes site...which is what most of us pay our money for!

I've been here for a few years and liked it much better in 2003. I would like to see the forums be just sweep related and maybe different chat rooms for non-sweep related stuff.

Miki
October 6th, 2007, 1:00pm
I have been afraid to post some wins recently because one time, I won a maid for the day for my 74 year old mother and posted and someone tried to have her DQ'd. But it didn't work! She got her maid.

Some people must not have much to do in life when they just want to be rude and mean. I don't know why in the world some people want to say and do such awful things to other sweepers.

angela

That is just sad. I have seen this happening a lot to members.

Kayte71
October 6th, 2007, 1:07pm
I would be really sad if the forums for non sweep stuff went away! It is fun to talk about all different subjects and debate things.There is only so much you can say about sweeping.. "I won!" I lost!" Did you get your prize yet? How did they notify? Is there a cash option?Enter Enter Enter! That about covers it, I think. :rofl3: How boring would that be?!

alycep06
my goodness, sounds like Brent must be very angry!! I do not go to the forums that much anymore because of all the nonsense and I do appreciate you doing this Brent as it has been getting out of hand. Let's keep OLS about sweeping.

CathyVeester
Here's my take, in case some people might care. :mm:

First off, I agree with Brent's position, desire and attempt(s) to keep OLS forums civil and a nice place for people to come. I so do not like nastiness nor seeing people being hurt by what others say or do. Brent has always been very cool and consistent on this stance - at least, as long as I can remember.

As for me, I try hard to be kind whenever I can and to avoid hurting people.

In the years that I have been a member here, I have been quite chatty (see my post count).

I have met many people here and like almost everyone (with few exceptions) who I have had the pleasure of meeting online and in person.

I try my best to be nice to everyone - civilian members and MODS alike - I try to support people and OLS/Brent by purchasing gift memberships for others, sending people "wins" that I cannot use, hosting generous MOCs, giving supportive and kind words and so on - all in the spirit of giving.

Some people don't like me - civilian members and MODS alike - I can somewhat understand that. Sometimes, I think I can be annoying.

If I find something that I am doing that "annoys" people (ie. calling people "dear"), I try to change it because why hurt or annoy people if you don't have to?

But bottom line: I am who I am. I like who I am. I can only change so much. And I know that not everybody is going to like me. My mother always told me "You cannot change people and how they think about you or other things. You can only change yourself." There are many people here who do not like me - but I like them anyway.

Sometimes people have said annoying or hurtful things to me - but I do not hold grudges.
I might say something to them - and then five minutes later, I am over it and back to being fine with them again. Much like my family members. As loving as we are, sometimes we get into 'heated debates' or opinion differences (most frequently about politics - as I am the only non-Democrat in my entire family). But we are quick to get over our differences.

The different personalities here at OLS offer me the opportunity to enjoy and embrace people with various points of view and from different walks of life.

I have learned so much from so many here - and the support that so many people give to me and others is amazing.

So I say to you this:

A. Try to be kind to each other whenever you can.

B. If you don't like someone, it's okay - but don't be hurtful.

C. If you hurt someone - intentionally or otherwise - apologize to them. Don't hold a grudge.

D. Learn to embrace the unique qualities of each member of our wonderful 'family'.

E. Encourage more interesting people to participate in the forums by doing your part to make the forums an inviting place to chat with and support others.

llinda29
October 6th, 2007, 1:10pm
I subcribe to announcements to keep up with changes. I have no idea about what you guys are talking about. I am to busy entering contest! If I spend too much time on the forum comments I can't get my contests done. This is the best site I have ever used for contesting. Back to work for me!!!! Win! Win! Win!

Marle
October 6th, 2007, 1:12pm
Freedom of speach doesn't exist unless you own the website.

I'm not complaining about it by any stretch. Brent owns the site, he sets the rules.

Rather simple, actually. When you signed up for this website, either as a free member or as a paid premium member, you still agreed to a set of rules.

I'd rather have some rules to follow than just have everyone run wild.

Following rules is not what I'm referring to.

From the quote "If the moderators or myself find that your behavior is disruptive to the generally peaceful and friendly atmosphere of OLS..." I think I need a clarification of what is considered to be "disruptive"?

I won't post about certain instances because I don't want to restart anything, but I've made posts before that went against the grain and people quit agreeing with the OP and began to disagree with me (in some instances, I've even gotten attacked for it), and sometimes, when I try to clarify my position, it gets worse (when I see that happening, I usually will stop posting). I want to know if that would be considered disruptive? Oh, BTW Bruce, I've seen some of your posts and I know you've experience this type of thing as well. Like me, you're not a mainstreamer and I'm concerned for you, too. :hugs:

I have no problem with those who just attack and purposely cause trouble get banned (I can think of 2 people right off the bat), and no sympathies for anyone who send nasty pms and stalk people outside of OLS, but it's when I express something that doesn't follow how others view the world is what I'm concerned about. If something like that is going to get me banned, then I'll just keep my thoughts to myself.

lifesfun
October 6th, 2007, 1:14pm
I would be really sad if the forums for non sweep stuff went away! It is fun to talk about all different subjects and debate things.There is only so much you can say about sweeping.. "I won!" I lost!" Did you get your prize yet? How did they notify? Is there a cash option?Enter Enter Enter! That about covers it, I think. :rofl3: How boring would that be?!

I agree. This website does have a large diversity of people like no other site that I know. Most other forums on the net are devoted to 1 subject so it's kind of interesting to be able to discuss just about anything and everything under the sun. It would be really boring to just talk about sweeps.

MsMouse871
October 6th, 2007, 1:33pm
From the quote "If the moderators or myself find that your behavior is disruptive to the generally peaceful and friendly atmosphere of OLS..." I think I need a clarification of what is considered to be "disruptive"?

That's way to broad and open to their interpretation...we need specifics and I've never had any trouble with any of the mods but I have seen bias used several times and that is not right

lexucruz
October 6th, 2007, 1:46pm
You should run for President. It's nice to know that you've got our back! Keep up the good work.

xscapes
October 6th, 2007, 1:49pm
I subcribe to announcements to keep up with changes. I have no idea about what you guys are talking about. I am to busy entering contest! If I spend too much time on the forum comments I can't get my contests done. This is the best site I have ever used for contesting. Back to work for me!!!! Win! Win! Win!

No one has said it better yet! :highfive:

gemini lion
October 6th, 2007, 1:53pm

Why are you arguing in a thread like this? Please just drop it.

Dawn2
October 6th, 2007, 1:55pm
It's only fair that the rules should apply to everyone.

buttercup2307
October 6th, 2007, 1:56pm
thanks brent!

barbs
October 6th, 2007, 2:00pm
Cathy - I can't imagine anyone having anything against you! I haven't seen anything like that at all! Are you sure?

It's impossible, in this world, to be liked by everyone. In fact, some of the people who irritate me the most are the ones who try. Impossible!

(But I hope you've given up the "My Fine Friends" thingy, as some people are sure to take the "F" the wrong way!, as picky as they are.)

:hugs:

Here's my take, in case some people might care. :mm:

First off, I agree with Brent's position, desire and attempt(s) to keep OLS forums civil and a nice place for people to come. I so do not like nastiness nor seeing people being hurt by what others say or do. Brent has always been very cool and consistent on this stance - at least, as long as I can remember.

As for me, I try hard to be kind whenever I can and to avoid hurting people.

In the years that I have been a member here, I have been quite chatty (see my post count).

I have met many people here and like almost everyone (with few exceptions) who I have had the pleasure of meeting online and in person.

I try my best to be nice to everyone - civilian members and MODS alike - I try to support people and OLS/Brent by purchasing gift memberships for others, sending people "wins" that I cannot use, hosting generous MOCs, giving supportive and kind words and so on - all in the spirit of giving.

Some people don't like me - civilian members and MODS alike - I can somewhat understand that. Sometimes, I think I can be annoying.

If I find something that I am doing that "annoys" people (ie. calling people "dear"), I try to change it because why hurt or annoy people if you don't have to?

But bottom line: I am who I am. I like who I am. I can only change so much. And I know that not everybody is going to like me. My mother always told me "You cannot change people and how they think about you or other things. You can only change yourself." There are many people here who do not like me - but I like them anyway.

Sometimes people have said annoying or hurtful things to me - but I do not hold grudges.
I might say something to them - and then five minutes later, I am over it and back to being fine with them again. Much like my family members. As loving as we are, sometimes we get into 'heated debates' or opinion differences (most frequently about politics - as I am the only non-Democrat in my entire family). But we are quick to get over our differences.

The different personalities here at OLS offer me the opportunity to enjoy and embrace people with various points of view and from different walks of life.

I have learned so much from so many here - and the support that so many people give to me and others is amazing.

So I say to you this:

A. Try to be kind to each other whenever you can.

B. If you don't like someone, it's okay - but don't be hurtful.

C. If you hurt someone - intentionally or otherwise - apologize to them. Don't hold a grudge.

D. Learn to embrace the unique qualities of each member of our wonderful 'family'.

E. Encourage more interesting people to participate in the forums by doing your part to make the forums an inviting place to chat with and support others.

CathyVeester
October 6th, 2007, 2:05pm
Cathy - I can't imagine anyone having anything against you! I haven't seen anything like that at all! Are you sure?

It's impossible, in this world, to be liked by everyone. In fact, some of the people who irritate me the most are the ones who try. Impossible!

(But I hope you've given up the "My Fine Friends" thingy, as some people are sure to take the "F" the wrong way!, as picky as they are.)

No way! I have to draw the line somewhere! Fine people will have to do.

tlak
October 6th, 2007, 2:08pm

That's way to broad and open to their interpretation...we need specifics and I've never had any trouble with any of the mods but I have seen bias used several times and that is not right
I agree, I don't want to be thrown to the wolves because I don't know the boundaries. I've seen a mod close down a thrend because she wasn't winning an argument on a common issue, another one was shut down because they though the thrend might get bad, and one time because the trend didn't fit their beliefs. I don't want my membership in the hands of people that make these kinds of choices. Personally I've never had problems with the mods, and the way I found out about the "the thrend might get bad" was I PMed the mod.

Also, common among a lot of forums, people that get their feelings hurt or don't like the issues, why do you go there?

bewitched
October 6th, 2007, 2:11pm
It was deleted not soon after, so I assume another mod did do her job.
You have no clue what goes on in the Mod part of this board. I don't either. Why don't you worry about your own posts, and let the Mods take care of themselves.

brushes
October 6th, 2007, 2:16pm
Brent, I think you have your work cut out for you. :baghead:

maui1311
October 6th, 2007, 2:20pm
Adults can, at times, become the child-like characters running amok in "Lord of the Flies" and limitations have to be restablished as reminders of how to interact.

Adults can be stinkers

barbs
October 6th, 2007, 2:21pm
Why are you arguing in a thread like this? Please just drop it.

It's all ok - no problems!

bunnytoes
October 6th, 2007, 2:23pm
You have no clue what goes on in the Mod part of this board. I don't either. Why don't you worry about your own posts, and let the Mods take care of themselves.

The same could be said for yourself.

Why are you responding to me after all this time? Unless, of course, it's just to stir it. Big surprise there.

Also, I was answering a direct question to someone. The post has nothing to do with mods taking care of themselves.

ignoramoose
October 6th, 2007, 2:27pm
Why are you responding to me after all this time? Unless, of course, it's just to stir it. Big surprise there.

????? Bewitched is one of the nicest posters around! :frown2:

IrishSix
October 6th, 2007, 2:32pm
Personally I do like the option of Winzy and Blingo in the siggies. It has helped me win in the past.

feta
October 6th, 2007, 2:34pm

Like I don't see why you would like 'smart-arse snotiness' , I just dont get that? :worry:

Lupinea
October 6th, 2007, 2:35pm
If you want to act badly I am certain that with the gazillions of sites out there on the web you can find the perfect site for yourself. I am always flabergasted to find out what people do to cheat, get over on others, lie, and so on. Just recently we had a neat little deal out there where you could refer a friend to a store and they would get a ten dollar credit to "spend". Those of us that had little money had so much fun spending the 3 or 4 referrals that we got. Then, some little princess had to write that she was so glad she got her ?? thousand, 2 I think), before they cut it out. Did she or he really need the money this badly, probably not, it was just a game to see how much they could get out of a company. We should be asshamed of people who behave like this, of course companies stop doing nice things when people not only misuse them, they have the cojones to brag about it. Maybe Brent can encourage people to play fair. It hurts me when I read that our members cheat or misuse contests. I have been so blessed by the wins I have had, I could have never afforded the trip to Yellowstone that we just got back from. INstead of thinking how you can enter those 100 names you have or how to cheat, enter fairly and enjoy OLS.

Thanks for OLS BRENT!

ignoramoose
October 6th, 2007, 2:39pm
I agree!

BTW ingnramoose, I love your new avatar made me happy looking at it :highfive:

Thanks! :gvibes:

pambanter
October 6th, 2007, 2:42pm
How about this. How about everyone quit sniping at EACH OTHER when it is actually other things about this site that is making people cranky? But then, no one feels safe enough to say what is really on their mind because of fear of banning.

Because, in spite of all its flaws and whackos, this is still the ONLY sweepstakes site to belong to.

Glenda
October 6th, 2007, 2:46pm
Thank you Brent! :cheer6:

NiKKiL
October 6th, 2007, 2:47pm

Brent
:twoclap: Awesome!!!! This needs to be done! And very well said. :bow:

northbluffer
October 6th, 2007, 2:49pm
Thank you! :cheer3:

brwe
October 6th, 2007, 2:52pm
I don't post a lot, but I read the forums a lot. It is so refreshing to see someone stand up against rudeness and meanness, instead of being intimidated by the people who perpetuate it. Good going, Brent. Thank you.

webgirl256
October 6th, 2007, 2:56pm
Thank you, the personal attacks on the same people over and over again are bad, you also get attacked when you say you like how this site is run if someones complaining. I think this is the best site i've seen on the net hands down which is why I stay..

bkang
October 6th, 2007, 3:01pm
Way to go Brent!!!! :cheer3:

pamcakes
October 6th, 2007, 3:06pm
wow, i'm out of the loop as usual! see what being away for 2 days does, LOL! thanks brent...i guess OLS needed some housecleaning. i'm lucky 'cause i never seem to be involved in any of the day to day drama. oh well....

pamcakes
October 6th, 2007, 3:12pm
i have met the nicest peeps online and off from being a member of this site and i simply can't imagine why anyone has to be unpleasant, cutting, or rude....this is a hobby and as such should be a place to come to for mutual support in winning great prizes. as for myself, i'm still waiting for ANY win, but that's another story, LOL!
peace everyone!

KathyG_NC
October 6th, 2007, 3:20pm
I must admit I don't spend as much time as I would like in the forums. I am shocked that people are cruel and mean to each other in such a way that would cause them to be banned! Although I must admit that I have seen people attacked for their opinions. I have seen people attacked for posting a win, especially if they decide not to keep it. Because of that last one I no longer post my wins or make them a part of my signature. If I tell anyone, it's generally in the thread that was started for winners of that particular contest.

I refrain from calling people names - stopped that eons ago in the sandbox. I know there are young members here, but never realized that there were so many misguided individuals here.

Brent I know you have to do what you deem necessary to keep the peace here. I feel sorry for you to have to act like a parent over our group.

Personally I am so happy that the few encounters I have had were all of a pleasant nature. IF opinions were requested and I had a thought about it, I hope I have always done so in a way that did not offend anyone. I may be for or against - but I was asked. I never once lowered myself to name calling or offensive behavior.

Would it be possible to just ban them from the Forums and allow them to remain a sweeper? I know money shouldn't always be a deciding factor in business decisions, but if you just banned them from forums, you'd still have revenue from them being members. Just a thought.... Or maybe that is what you meant to do originally?

OH, BTW - Welcome back Brent!!! You have been missed!! :hugs:

nycphoto
October 6th, 2007, 3:34pm
As someone whose opionions are out of the mainstream, ( at least here on OLS), I can only hope the "rules" are applied to everyone not just some people. I do feel as others have mentioned that some of the mods do favor some people. I like the whole idea of alternating mods. Let everyone have a chance.

Meadow
October 6th, 2007, 3:57pm
I can only hope the "rules" are applied to everyone not just some people. I do feel as others have mentioned that some of the mods do favor some people.

I have to agree with this. :frown2:

I hope everyone across the board conducts themselves with integrity.

Styflan
October 6th, 2007, 4:21pm
I'm not going to say thanks, but I will say bravo & it's about da!n time. This place will never go back to the way it used to be years ago, but it is a step in the right direction. It will be a bit more friendlier & peaceful to be here. Hopefullly some of the old time regulars will start posting again.

RockysJewel
October 6th, 2007, 4:36pm
Again ..what one person views as an 'ATTACK' others don't. Not everyone considers posting your view about someones comment as a personal attack. Especially when it is the same person posting what do you think about ?? and then something illegal or immoral. It IS OK to say no way that is wrong and it is not an attack. Yet there are the same few here that say it is.

So taht is why there 'seems' to some to be nastiness when in fact it isn't. So because there are so many people with differnet views and ways of doing things in life there will always be this difference and what some say conflict/nstiness/being mean to people. THat is life. There is no such thing as fairy tale lalalalaaaa everything is good and OK.

(Melonhead this is NOT to you personally)

I don't recall the thread mentioned, and this isn't directed at you Noey, just building off of your post.

RockysJewel
October 6th, 2007, 4:50pm
Ya I agaree. I wouldn't have some great recipes, know about some new products or like the restaraunt KATYE posted about.

viokasegirl
October 6th, 2007, 4:54pm
Now that I'm this new stuff for nausea and forget everything every few seconds this board seems very pleasant. But I really have to stop doing the same instants over and over... :smile10:

I just wish everybody could be happier. In the end, its not what you have, its not what you think you wanted, its not all those little things that made you so upset-its just you and the void.
And its a big void :eek:

(sorry, I'm just a medication reaction :laugh:)

jazzyblue21
mine is but one of them. Yours is yet another. How to learn or gain knowledge? Through experiences, of our own or that of others.

joenkim
Rockysjewel, I have to agree with you on this.

There is a big difference between stalking, instant messaging with harassing notes, using obscene language--and stating one's opinion which may differ from those of another sweeper.

Disagreeing with someone is NOT a form of harassment.

Folks, if you enter a sweeps knowing that the prize is not for you or you can't take the time off from work to go on the trip or you are allergic to peanuts but you won a years' supply of Planters, then why 1) boast of the win to others when you 2) know you aren't going to accept the win/can't accept the win/hate the prize?

Isn't that being rude, yourself? Isn't it inconsiderate?. It's taunting and teasing the non-winners. It's saying "I am so selfish I just want to enter a sweeps so I can get a winning affy and to heck with the other sweepers who really want that prize...it's all about me me me."

Now if I were to call you a no-good %$&^^*(^##@ for winning a prize you didn't even want, then it would be one thing. But if I were to ask you why you entered the sweep for a prize you didn't want, I wouldn't consider it harassment at all. I would consider it curiosity.

I am going to remind y'all of a former OLS member (no longer on these boards) who boasted about winning a ski trip several years ago. The GP was a week in a ski lodge--a big HOUSE--the use of a new SUV, lift tickets, and airfare. Well, the winner of the prize complained that it was impossible to take the trip, because the winner had to stay home and take care of both disabled parents and 4 handicapped children, all 6 of whom were homebound. This entrant KNEW these limitations in advance, yet this person entered the sweeps anyway. Why? Because this person wanted a cash substitution. This person--the winner--ASKED for a substitution. And guess what? The sponsor turned the winner down.

Guess what else? The GP was NOT re-awarded. Why? Because right in the rules it said it would not be re-awarded if the first winner turned the prize down.

So, who was the inconsiderate individual in that scenario? Those who questioned the winner about why (s)he entered--or the entrant him/herself?

Just my humble thoughts. It's a fine line we walk.

angelfish
October 6th, 2007, 5:10pm
I shake my head in disbelief when people do this. What is the point except to brag "I won this and you didn't" and somehow validate to themselves "See, I won a really great prize too and even though I can't accept it, I've just got to brag about it."

Why not just keep quiet about it?

kismet
October 6th, 2007, 5:25pm
It seems to me that the moderators and Brent have had to be really provoked to come to this point. I am sorry that a few people have made it uncomfortable for other OLS members and wasted the mods and Brents valuable time with non-sweeping related issues.

What can we do as a community to help prevent these issues and allow the mods and Brent to be focused on keeping the site up and running and improving?

:lendhand:

1HAPPYBOY
October 6th, 2007, 5:33pm

Brent

Well put Brent, well put! Thank you. :D

awkward
October 6th, 2007, 5:42pm
Thanks Brent. :bwhip:

Marinalane
October 6th, 2007, 5:52pm
:clap: Thank You Brent. :type:

viclen1954
October 6th, 2007, 5:53pm
I must have missed all the juicy stuff someplace along the line. Sounds like it's a good thing I did!

tcandy214
October 6th, 2007, 5:59pm
i never seen any bad post but i dont read alot im so bzy with my 2 jobs i so tired i just try to keep my eyes open to enter a few sweeps but i love this site i foud it after my lung cancer after i was home recuperating thanks brent oops im so tired and i found it lol

skshade
October 6th, 2007, 6:02pm
There are a lot of very nice people at OLS and I am happy to be a member of this site but I don't understand why some members respond with rude and sarcastic replys in the forums. That is why I am happy to see Brent's post on this subject. I have seen newbies post for the first time and verbally attacked or sarcastically ridiculed. I'm sure they didnt feel comfortable entering the forums after that. Thats sad. While we all have differing opinions there is a mature and amiable way of stating them. :gvibes:

themasta
October 6th, 2007, 6:09pm
Thank you!
I am tired of jerks hurting my feelings here!

jafarhie
October 6th, 2007, 6:17pm
Rockysjewel, I have to agree with you on this.

There is a big difference between stalking, instant messaging with harassing notes, using obscene language--and stating one's opinion which may differ from those of another sweeper.

Disagreeing with someone is NOT a form of harassment.

Folks, if you enter a sweeps knowing that the prize is not for you or you can't take the time off from work to go on the trip or you are allergic to peanuts but you won a years' supply of Planters, then why 1) boast of the win to others when you 2) know you aren't going to accept the win/can't accept the win/hate the prize?

Isn't that being rude, yourself? Isn't it inconsiderate?. It's taunting and teasing the non-winners. It's saying "I am so selfish I just want to enter a sweeps so I can get a winning affy and to heck with the other sweepers who really want that prize...it's all about me me me."

Now if I were to call you a no-good %$&^^*(^##@ for winning a prize you didn't even want, then it would be one thing. But if I were to ask you why you entered the sweep for a prize you didn't want, I wouldn't consider it harassment at all. I would consider it curiosity.

I am going to remind y'all of a former OLS member (no longer on these boards) who boasted about winning a ski trip several years ago. The GP was a week in a ski lodge--a big HOUSE--the use of a new SUV, lift tickets, and airfare. Well, the winner of the prize complained that it was impossible to take the trip, because the winner had to stay home and take care of both disabled parents and 4 handicapped children, all 6 of whom were homebound. This entrant KNEW these limitations in advance, yet this person entered the sweeps anyway. Why? Because this person wanted a cash substitution. This person--the winner--ASKED for a substitution. And guess what? The sponsor turned the winner down.

Guess what else? The GP was NOT re-awarded. Why? Because right in the rules it said it would not be re-awarded if the first winner turned the prize down.

So, who was the inconsiderate individual in that scenario? Those who questioned the winner about why (s)he entered--or the entrant him/herself?

Just my humble thoughts. It's a fine line we walk.

Sweepers turning down prizes is just something you can't control. If I turn down anything it's not discussed on the board. I've seen how turning down a prize can cause friction so that's something I'll just keep to myself.

I remember one poster started a thread talking about how tired she was of winning X-box 360's because it was #7 for her. While I didn't post in the thread like clockwork sweepers came in and started going at her. I tried to figure out why the OP would post this type of thread when most sweepers have never won a gaming system, it was odd. However, the way they attacked her was wrong. This is also why I deleted my win list from OLS, just can't tolerate the pettiness.

My opinion about the board:

My thing is if you're willing to post personal information about your life, family, etc.(which is something I never do) then don't be surprised when some troll comes after you. Most of the time that's exactly what happens on OLS. Someone posts a topic or discussion about themselves or someone closely related to them, an inappropriate(rude and crass) comment is made, and then the poster gets offended. They create another thread drumming up sympathy for their cause and repeat the cycle all over again until it's time to claim they're leaving. :duck:

I know some members don't mind sharing their experiences but you have to realize whacko's are on every message board. For example, a poster I knew from another board would get into arguments with a few members weekly. However, he would also talk about every aspect of his life, revealed that he was gay and everything. Well, someone took all that information and called Wendy Williams and on her radio show she said his first name and was going on about him living a secret gay life. Granted he wasn't out of the closet to his family. The only reason the person called Wendy Williams is because they knew the poster talked about her constantly. He was crying because his mother and sister are regular listeners of the show. I felt sorry for him but he put that out in the universe.

TrinaWants2Win
October 6th, 2007, 6:42pm
it is just as wrong to attack someone for posting what they won as it is to post someone because they share their personal life here. for some this place is like family to them. It amazes me how people will label someone a scammer just because they come here for supporitt. or just because they feel at home here enough to share their up's and down's. It's no more wrong to attack someone that post about their win's then it is to attack someone that post about their up's and downs. I also find it funny that some think just because THEY think someone is a scammer that it is ok to go and spread rumors and trying to have others to believe the same thing. Some of the very people that are called scammers are the one's that go above and beyond to help the members of OLS.

I see no diffrence between saying if your willing to post about your life on ols then don't be surprised of trolls then saying if you post about your wins don't be suprised about the troll's I find both wrong. ( jmo) Yes I know this is a sweep site but there is places to post "what's on your mind" " parenting" and such .
I am not perfect. I have had moments I regret in things I have said to others. But I am working on it. I hope others ( that feel the need ) to work on it does the same. If we would all pull together I think it would make a world of diffrence.

Brent has IMO went above and beyond to try to protect his members from the harassment( he has done a lot we don't see) I love Brent and the members here and I am proud to call myself a member of OLS.

I have this question. to everyone that says noone should be allowed to post anything about their life here.. do you have any close friends that you met off OLS? Would of you met them if they had not felt comfortable enough to ever post here? think of your friendships.. and what it would be like without them. I think it would suck :( Were given so much more on OLS then sweeps. We now have life long friends that we love and adore.

barbs
October 6th, 2007, 8:00pm
Like I don't see why you would like 'smart-arse snotiness' , I just dont get that? :worry:

Well - sometimes it's funny. (I DID say "sometimes" I like it.)

So ok - I'm twisted. :rofl3:

timinskas
October 6th, 2007, 8:14pm
It seems to me that the moderators and Brent have had to be really provoked to come to this point. I am sorry that a few people have made it uncomfortable for other OLS members and wasted the mods and Brents valuable time with non-sweeping related issues.

What can we do as a community to help prevent these issues and allow the mods and Brent to be focused on keeping the site up and running and improving?

:lendhand:

The best thing and the smartest thing is to ignore it. When we ignore the meanies they tend to go away because they are not given the attention they so crave.

Cinz
October 6th, 2007, 8:25pm
I don't know what is going on recently because I pretty much stopped posting in the forums years ago because it seemed impossible to post ANYTHING without being slammed or someone taking over the thread with ugly hurtful remarks. Thanks for cleaing it up...

cacheermom
October 6th, 2007, 8:28pm
I am glad I have no idea what has happened...I just LOVE this site and I will continue to be a "HAPPY SWEEPER"!!! :smile9:

firebug
October 6th, 2007, 8:36pm

lexucruz
October 6th, 2007, 8:40pm
I like the forums because it gives me the much needed break that I need some times in between entering a dozens of contests. I do think people should always try to be respectful. I seen people beat up people for winning prizes and not having the money for taxes or not being able to fly to a locatoin to pick up a car win.... That's ridiculous. I like to hear when people win stuff and whatever they decide to do is fine with me.

serendipity
October 6th, 2007, 8:41pm
I replied twice to this thread and neither one of them made the cut. both last night
and they did not say anything mean
what's up with that???

jimcrv63
October 6th, 2007, 8:51pm
HI, I Dont mean any disrespect but I got a e-mail saying that they where going to delet all my posts and I never wrote anything bad. Who has the write to do that. I am not complaianing but y is it some poeple are never happy in here. and always complaining about something. Have a nice day. I hope I was not to harsh. Hi brent and thanks for putting to gether this site its pritty cool. the only thing is I havnt won anything. Can you give me some pointers. Just kidding Hey dont get to up set about things. they will straiten out. OK just one hint. anything something. ok got go I hear my sweeps callinggggggggggggggg me se ya soon Your friend jimcrv64. :duck: :chill: :bow: :bow:

candes
October 6th, 2007, 9:05pm
HI, I Dont mean any disrespect but I got a e-mail saying that they where going to delet all my posts and I never wrote anything bad.
I really don't see any bad posts either. You sure it was really from Brent?

New subject...

This is just a generic post about a neat idea.

Imagine before posting something... If I talked in that tone to my boss, would I be disiplined? Or just tick them off good enough to be on their bad side? If so, then it is not socially acceptable and shouldn't be said to others either. And don't lie to yourself. This would prevent a lot of hurt feelings. :grouphug:

aila
October 6th, 2007, 9:09pm
some start a thread, or contribute to it, just to get a rise out of the readers, being a troll i guess is more the term, and then cry attack when called on the carpet.

as a result, reading through this thread many have said this should only be about sweeps and other forums should be removed. we never started the other forums. brent did. i guess he did it because a) it gives one a break from sweeping and b) things he may be interested in.
brent giveth, brent can taketh away!

if brent and/or the mods are reading this i do have a request for what it's worth.... depending on the severity of the post, give a one time warning before banning. :)

ksmith47
October 6th, 2007, 9:20pm
Thanks, Brent.

I think if the three things you aren't supposed to talk about in polite conversation were banned - politics, sex and religion - things would be a little better here.

All the drama and crap lately have kept me out of the forums a bit, except for the light/fluffy posts, I've been staying away.

But on the plus side, I'm getting my sweeps done quicker and I have more time for snail mail sweeps! :cheer7:

angela48
October 6th, 2007, 9:23pm
Brent I am sorry that things got out of hand and made you blow up the way you did. But it's completely understandable why you did.

Hopefully, one day if I'm ever at one of the conventions, and so are you, I would like to shake your hand, pat you on the back and look you in the eyes and say "JOB WELL DONE, BECAUSE YOU DEFINITELY DESERVE IT! You should stand tall and proud. For so many reasons.

Well, back to my sweeps! Happy winning everyone.

StoneHrt
October 6th, 2007, 9:36pm
I have run into some of those mean spirited people here. That is why I went private and do not post or respond to posts any more. Once they are gone hopefull I can resume, and thank you Brent

flybill59
October 6th, 2007, 9:39pm
i think you should put 'em up on a pike pole outside the village gate like they used to do in the old days to serve as an example to anyone else considering such behavior. (joking)

joenkim
October 6th, 2007, 9:41pm
...a neat idea....

Imagine before posting something... If I talked in that tone to my boss, would I be disiplined? Or just tick them off good enough to be on their bad side? If so, then it is not socially acceptable and shouldn't be said to others either. And don't lie to yourself. This would prevent a lot of hurt feelings. :grouphug:

Very well said.

Captain Nemo
October 6th, 2007, 9:43pm
brent
i'm glad you are back, hope you are well.
i may be one you speak of ,i had a few incidents i am not proud of .
but i have seen other nasty things that other members directed at me ,i'll never be rid of them ,
they can track me easily .
i have down toned my posts (no more sat nite live )kind of silliness, or at least not too often .
i support you even though you may already have decided i am one of those to be banned.

ickivicki123
October 6th, 2007, 9:49pm
Brent your the best!!!!

andee506
October 6th, 2007, 9:51pm
I guess I am lucky....I have not seen a really bad post.Sometimes a little rude,but nothing I would think really bad. I really love this site.

pambanter
October 6th, 2007, 10:46pm
But see, even if this forum was changed to sweeping only subjects, that certainly would not stop me from disagreeing when someone wrote an ESSAY saying how much they really really wanted to win a prize, and then turned it down because of the ARV or the travel dates, which are clearly listed in the sweep listing.

It would not stop me from disagreeing that it is okay to enter for everything hoping to cajole the sponsors into a cash substitution even though the rules say otherwise.

It would not stop me from disagreeing when someone brags about winning several of a "per household" instant.

Some things that sweepers do hurt the sweeping community as a whole. Especially when they come from a highly recognizable site such as OLS.

And when I try to explain that, many people consider it hateful, snotty, rude, hurtful and disrespectful.

Disagreeing is not being rude. Disagreeing is disagreeing.

I have toned down my responses to those types of posts, but invariably when I do state my reasons, someone, maybe a newbie, will respond with "I never knew that!" And if I can make just ONE sweeper take into account travel times and ARV's and taxes before they enter, then I think the post was fruitful.

It HELPED me to see disagreements, even spirited ones, when I was a newbie. That way I was alerted to problematic issues and the pros and cons of sweeping ethics and methods.

girlsmith
October 6th, 2007, 10:54pm
But see, even if this forum was changed to sweeping only subjects, that certainly would not stop me from disagreeing when someone wrote an ESSAY saying how much they really really wanted to win a prize, and then turned it down because of the ARV or the travel dates, which are clearly listed in the sweep listing.

It would not stop me from disagreeing that it is okay to enter for everything hoping to cajole the sponsors into a cash substitution even though the rules say otherwise.

It would not stop me from disagreeing when someone brags about winning several of a "per household" instant.

Some things that sweepers do hurt the sweeping community as a whole. Especially when they come from a highly recognizable site such as OLS.

And when I try to explain that, many people consider it hateful, snotty, rude, hurtful and disrespectful.

Disagreeing is not being rude. Disagreeing is disagreeing.

I have toned down my responses to those types of posts, but invariably when I do state my reasons, someone, maybe a newbie, will respond with "I never knew that!" And if I can make just ONE sweeper take into account travel times and ARV's and taxes before they enter, then I think the post was fruitful.

It HELPED me to see disagreements, even spirited ones, when I was a newbie. That way I was alerted to problematic issues and the pros and cons of sweeping ethics and methods.

I agree. and w/o disagreeing, life would be boring. We'd all be walking around a bunch of robots. Reminds me of a movie...

Kayte71
October 6th, 2007, 11:05pm
OH Did you get to try it yet? Their drunken noodles with steak (or tofu) is the latest and best thing there that we've tried. :bwhip: (besides the ice cream) and the spring rolls! I don't think I'd tried them yet when I first posted they are made with pulled pork and hazelnuts--I thouht it would be odd but it is YUMMY.

Ya I agaree. I wouldn't have some great recipes, know about some new products or like the restaraunt KATYE posted about.

Lisargold
October 6th, 2007, 11:16pm
Thank you Brent, it seems like things have really been getting out of control.

Boosbear
October 6th, 2007, 11:21pm
:binky: Thank you.

vdeliz
October 6th, 2007, 11:22pm
Good .... I am here because I like to enter and win contests... and that is the way that I think most of us want. THANKS> :highfive:

RockysJewel
October 6th, 2007, 11:22pm
NO I haven't gotten down there yet but told my sis who lives in PDX and we are for sure going. I want to go before the weather gets crappy in the GOrge. Mmmmm theose spring rolls sound tasty !!!!!

OH Did you get to try it yet? Their drunken noodles with steak (or tofu) is the latest and best thing there that we've tried. :bwhip: (besides the ice cream) and the spring rolls! I don't think I'd tried them yet when I first posted they are made with pulled pork and hazelnuts--I thouht it would be odd but it is YUMMY.

pstanos
October 6th, 2007, 11:35pm
Brent,

Thank you for this! I rarely go into the forums because of this problem. I will now make more of an effort to visit them.

I appreciate all of your hard work in making this a great site. We all owe you a lot, because without this site, I wouldn't have won at least 75% of the items I've won.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

themasta
October 6th, 2007, 11:49pm
I agree. and w/o disagreeing, life would be boring. We'd all be walking around a bunch of robots. Reminds me of a movie...
I disagree. I think if we all agreed life would be pretty damn happy.

For example... if you want to play wiffleball and you ask anyone if they want to.. they will agree to it... its just endless amounts of fun

if you want to go out and bowl at 1 AM .. you got 35 people willing to do it with you.

noey718
October 6th, 2007, 11:52pm

For example... if you want to play wiffleball and you ask anyone if they want to.. they will agree to it... its just endless amounts of fun

if you want to go out and bowl at 1 AM .. you got 35 people willing to do it with you.
what if someone wanted to commit an armed robbery and 35 people agreed, that is not fun, jk. :rofl3: :cheer6:

pambanter
October 6th, 2007, 11:54pm
what if someone wanted to commit an armed robbery and 35 people agreed, that is not fun, jk. :rofl3: :cheer6:
Hmmm. So I guess that's a no?

Scary Snarky toaD
October 7th, 2007, 12:01am

Kayte, you and Ju GOTTA stop talking about my favorite subject and the cool places to eat around here! You've got my mouth watering! :drip: :drip: :drip:

Xan
October 7th, 2007, 12:15am
Well cool. This might just be the best possible upgrade to OLS. :smile9:

italiankitty99
October 7th, 2007, 1:51am
:cheer: WTG Brent.There certainly has been a lot of uncivilized behavior going on in The OLS Forums lately.I am glad you are putting a stop to the cyber bullies who have nothing better to do than come in here and stir up trouble.

jazzyk55
October 7th, 2007, 2:01am

Cool! I am craving Sushi with some nice squiggly squid. :yum: wanna join me?

shiloh19
October 7th, 2007, 2:04am
To think we would expect each person to treat others as they would like to be treated, what a novel idea.

bnit2winit
October 7th, 2007, 2:08am
To think we would expect each person to treat others as they would like to be treated, what a novel idea.
:highfive: That would be so nice.

VALENTINE
October 7th, 2007, 2:42am
I totally agree with Brent about how people should conduct themselves on a privately owned forum board.

I was a mod with admin/mod on chatfamily and then a run of the mill mod on talkcity long ago and people always raved about freedom of speech rights. It got really old.

I would like to say to all the mods here is, thanks for being mods and thanks for babysitting all us people.