PDA

View Full Version : Renting a house - does the landlord have to pay for..

allie
June 23rd, 2003, 3:34am
When you are renting a house, is the landlord obligated to pay for the garbage service?

I know this most likely does vary from state to state according to renters rights, etc laws - but do you know for your state if they are obligated/required?

Does anyone happen to know for Oregon?

Thanks!! ;)

purplebradley
June 23rd, 2003, 4:11am
Allie, I am not sure about Oregon, but in California it's up to the Landlord. Either they can pay it or have their tenant pay it.

tommy
June 23rd, 2003, 4:20am
several friends of mine own homes that they rent out allie and we have talked about this and they told me that any payments for garbage pickup etc. they would pay unless it was stated in the rental agreement that the renters pay---- but this is for florida real estate and i am not really sure if it applies to your state :D

Scary Snarky toaD
June 23rd, 2003, 4:23am
Sorry, Allie, I can't tell you for SURE, but my guess would be that landlord SHOULD pay -- you might be able to call up a nice real estate lawyer that would shoot you the answer in a couple of seconds about that.

Or, if you wanted the "adventure" of looking it up, I'm sure it's written up in Landlord Tenant Law portion of the Oregon Revised Statutes (which if they aren't in a city library, can be found at PSU Law Library -- open access for anyone to browse).

Good luck on getting the right answer!

sjr1535
June 23rd, 2003, 5:02am
I doubt that there is any state requirement for that service. The rental agreement should state what each party pays for. Make sure yours covers everything you can think of. It would be great if you could add a statement that "Any expense not expressly set forth in this Agreement as the responsibility of the tenant shall be the responsibility of the landlord."

allie
June 23rd, 2003, 5:05am
Ah ha, I didn't even think to look on the rental agreement! :rolleyes:

Okay thank you all!! ;)

tommy
June 23rd, 2003, 5:07am
your very welcome allie now go to bed its late out there :smile3:

allie
June 23rd, 2003, 5:45am
It's 5 am there! I guess that could be early for you if you already slept, lol. ;)

Yes it's late.. boys are sick so Mommy is awake now listening for peeps of distress.

Mommie2ToMany
June 23rd, 2003, 11:08am
Originally posted by allie
It's 5 am there! I guess that could be early for you if you already slept, lol. ;)

Yes it's late.. boys are sick so Mommy is awake now listening for peeps of distress.

Bad flash back of when my twins were babies. LOL I feel for you allie. My twins had sever reflux and never slept long. do your twins get up togeather or tag team? Mine would always tag team and they would wait just enough time for me to fall back asleep before the other woke up.

Mommie2ToMany
June 23rd, 2003, 11:11am
Oh yeah I forgot to answer you question. I have always had to paid for trash. I haven't had one landlord yet who paid for mine. Boy I wish they would though. I live just outside the city limits and we are only allowed 10 bags once a week or they charge us extra and with 5 kids I always end up going over.

tommy
June 23rd, 2003, 11:13am
Originally posted by allie

==========================================

understanable that you were up then allie and hopefully your boys will feel better real soon :D

gcomstock
June 23rd, 2003, 11:28am
Well, either way, somebody's gotta take out the trash, LOL.

But I don't know of any state where "trash service" is specifically on the books as a landlord responsibility; most landlord responsibilities are more generic - such as keeping the property safe and habitable, free from liens or any conditions which would interfere with a tenant's "quiet enjoyment" of the residence. So if you let the trash pile up, landlord would be obligated to clean it up: however your rental agreement probably sets forth other ongoing maintenance responsibilites upon YOU, and the landlord could bill you, deduct the amount from your security deposit, etc. Obviously, that's not the approach to the question you want to take.

That said, any rental agreement can supersede generic responsibilites. Most counties here in California have community trash pickup, which is either added to the water bill or in some cases the property tax.

See what's in your rental agreement...and if it isn't specified, determine if trash pickup in your community *is* bundled with some other service. Either party might *assume* that whomever has agreed to pay said "other service" has tacitly also agreed to pay for the bundled trash bill...but that could be a matter of discussion if not debate.

Step 1- see what the rental agreement says
Step 2- decide what you think is fair and reasonable, all things considered
Step 3- if the result of Step 2 is different that Step 1, decide on a strategy for selling the idea to the landlord.

Let us know. ~Geo.

whist
June 23rd, 2003, 1:08pm
Actually,, our town,,the garbage and water bill is on the electric bill,,which where we live you have only a gas and an electric bill,,now as for landlords,,,some pay the utilities for you some dont,,my landlord does pay ours,,its nice not to have 2 extra bills to deal with..:grin5:

lilreddevil38
June 23rd, 2003, 3:24pm
hey allie-

i lived in oregon all my life until moving to Vancouver 5 years ago. it generally is what is specified in the rental agreement. apartments-usually landlord pays, duplexes and houses-usually renter. i have lived in all three and when i was younger my parents owned a duplex that they rented out and the renter paid for garbage.

aren't the garbage rates astronomical? we try to recycle as much as possible.

kris:)

kia1971
June 23rd, 2003, 3:33pm
i would say check your lease, it should be in there.............if you don't have a lease, you might be having to pay it yourself...............:(

Ravzie
June 23rd, 2003, 5:55pm
I have never lived in any one house more than 4 years, related to moving with the military, so I have had lots of different experiences in quite a few states. I can tell you that in only one house did I NOT have to pay for trash. (Not counting apartment complexes with community dumpsters or on-base housing.)

In Honolulu, garbage collection was part of the city and county taxes, and that was paid by the landlord.

I rented out this house while we were in Calif and Hawaii, and I did not cover any of the utilities for the tenants. It never even occurred to me.

allie
June 23rd, 2003, 5:59pm
Celeste - Mine have slept through the night since about 10 weeks or so I believe. They only wake up at night if sick. ;) And yep, they are still in the same crib.

Thanks again all. ;)

groovyguru
June 24th, 2003, 1:34am
In Portland (maybe all of Multnomah county), the landlord must provide a 32 gallon (I think) garbage service. The renter is responsible for extras like leaving old tires, etc., or leaving 5 extra bags of garbage next to the can.

Groovy (smalltime landlord) Guru

allie
June 24th, 2003, 2:08am
Originally posted by groovyguru
In Portland (maybe all of Multnomah county), the landlord must provide a 32 gallon (I think) garbage service. The renter is responsible for extras like leaving old tires, etc., or leaving 5 extra bags of garbage next to the can.

Groovy (smalltime landlord) Guru

Do you happen to know for Washington County? LOL. ;)

groovyguru
June 24th, 2003, 2:16am
Maybe call that metro trash # and ask them.

mansker
June 24th, 2003, 8:54am
Unfortunately, the Landlord DOES NOT have to pay for any utilities. They are required to make the house habitable, and make sure that there are no issues with it in that way, but they are not required by Oregon law to pay for any type of utilities, be it garbage, water, sewer, etc.

jesjaime
June 24th, 2003, 9:26am
I own a home and rent out an apt. I pay for trash pickup only because it's the trash I use. I am not obligated to. ( I'm just a nice person). If I didn't live on the premises I might not, or I might charge more rent to make up the difference.(Does that mean I'm not that nice)

I am a nice landlord, just one that really needs the rent to make ends meet everymonth.

Donna:smile4:

suzybeth
June 24th, 2003, 9:43am
We rent, and we have to pay our landlord an extra $15 per month to use his dumpster (the robbing b#@$*!$) He has chicken houses and other rental houses and he charges the other rentals $15 to use the dumpster too. The worst part is we have to drive about two miles to even get to the dumpster. The dumpster is located at his home.

TinyMoMo
June 24th, 2003, 10:00am
I own my home, as well as 2 rental homes. In both of the rentals, garbage is considered a utility, and is the responsibility of the tenant. I would never write a lease where I had to pay for it, simply because, especially with my lower cost property, sometimes when people move they leave a ton of stuff behind, and Ido not want to pay extra fees to have their life removed from the sidewalk.
Know what I mean?
Looking at the agreement, and knowing what it says about many things would be a good idea, so that you do not unknowingly make a mistake and lose the house. That would be BAD!
Take care of those babies, Allie!
:smile3:

TinyMoMo
June 24th, 2003, 10:02am
Suzybeth......
The guy has a dumpster at his home? I bet THAT is attractive!:grin2:
Does he have cars up on blocks and non working tv's scattered about too??
hahahahahhohoohohoh
Sorry, too much of my Jeff Foxworthy redneck calendar!!!
:grin3:

groovyguru
June 24th, 2003, 10:23am
My folks had a rental house years ago. They did not pay (or setup trash service) the trash, and expected the renter to do so. The renter never started service and lived there for years. When the renter left, the govt sent my folks a bill for NOT having garbage service equal to the trash service for all the time they did not have it. So, the landlord is responsible, at least in Portland.

TinyMoMo
June 24th, 2003, 1:29pm
ICK! That is awful!
I think I am lucky right now in that the renters I have possess some common sense.
:cool: